Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Potential new Sky TV deal

The game lacks cohesion.
    We have prompted Leigh for 2021 but restricted their funding which kind of almost sets them up to fail.
    I actually think Leigh is a big RL town but if they are in SL they need a decent crack at it.
    Simple "allowing" them in for a season to relegate them again and risk another bankruptcy seems madness.
    We had it with Catalans, if we are going to have them in give them a safety net of maybe 3 seasons. Give them chance to build support back up and maybe grow squad and academy set up.
    The up and down routine simply doesn't work for any team especially when it's full time pro v part time world.

In The South Stand

I know that you’ll all be sick to death of watching Welsby’s after the hooter, Grand Final winning try (joke) but the increase in viewing figures, social media interest etc. mentioned in this clip must justify an argument for a better deal:

https://fb.watch/2FB_zfnOnI/

I’m in total agreement with the posters who have suggested some loss of exclusivity for Sky. It would be good for the game if it could be seen more widely on terrestrial TV.

In The South Stand

I havent got Facebook and wont be but our sport does need more of that lets face it now that the season is over SKY has finished with our game apart from 10 minutes of old games and when it comes back it will be what it was if not worse . The game will still have a Wigan bias , i do not need to say who all but one of the people talking about games played for i did not say commentate because i will not insult proffesional commentaters . It is almost as if SKY are trying to turn people away from Rugby League , thats what the game is called SKY .

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    I havent got Facebook and wont be but our sport does need more of that lets face it now that the season is over SKY has finished with our game apart from 10 minutes of old games and when it comes back it will be what it was if not worse . The game will still have a Wigan bias , i do not need to say who all but one of the people talking about games played for i did not say commentate because i will not insult proffesional commentaters . It is almost as if SKY are trying to turn people away from Rugby League , thats what the game is called SKY .
    Sorry, I can’t find it on their YouTube channel yet. None rugby stats include:

Over half a million watched on Sky;
    63% increase in viewing highlight figures since 2019; and
    850,000 people have watched Welsby’s winning try on social media.

I agree with other posters that our game is Rugby League. Super League has had its day and I started a thread ages ago moaning about the fact that it now means women’s football when people watch the news. I’d be happy with Rugby League 1 or something like that.

P.S. Women’s football is covered on the main BBC news and we are not. The people who run the sport are fighting a losing battle if they think they can associate the name with Rugby League. Even netball, which also uses it, sometimes gets more publicity. It needs ditching.
    Last edited by Suttoner; 28th December 2020 at 14:51. Reason: PS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Sorry, I can’t find it on their YouTube channel yet. None rugby stats include:

Over half a million watched on Sky;
    63% increase in viewing highlight figures since 2019; and

I agree with other posters that our game is Rugby League. Super League has had its day and I started a thread ages ago moaning about the fact that it now means women’s football when people watch the news. I’d be happy with Rugby League 1 or something like that.

P.S. Women’s football is covered on the main BBC news and we are not. The people who run the sport are fighting a losing battle if they think they can associate the name with Rugby League. Even netball, which also uses it, sometimes gets more publicity. It needs ditching.
    I agree, a re-branding might be just the shot in the arm we need without all the razzmataz bollocks. Move away from SL and it's other guises. Something simple like The Rugby League Championship, I know we have a championship as it stands so that would also need re-branding but it puts the name out in the public domain as our brand. We should be big big enough to say, SL has ran it's course and we're leaving it behind to Mickey Mouse sports, we realise we need to move with the times instead of flogging a dead horse.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I agree, a re-branding might be just the shot in the arm we need without all the razzmataz bollocks. Move away from SL and it's other guises. Something simple like The Rugby League Championship, I know we have a championship as it stands so that would also need re-branding but it puts the name out in the public domain as our brand. We should be big big enough to say, SL has ran it's course and we're leaving it behind to Mickey Mouse sports, we realise we need to move with the times instead of flogging a dead horse.
    Yep, I like this. Everytime I'm listening to BBC Radio and they deem to include us in the sports headlines its 'and in Super League tonight...' and I wonder how effective that really is given how many Super League's there are at the moment. Using the words Rugby League to describe our top division is important, and I doubt we could do better than The Rugby League Championship really. Imagine how much better the following would sound...

The Rugby League Championship table
    The Rugby League Championship league winners
    The Rugby League Championship Play-Offs
    The Rugby League Championship Grand Final
    The Rugby League Championship Man of Steel

etc, etc

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Yep, I like this. Everytime I'm listening to BBC Radio and they deem to include us in the sports headlines its 'and in Super League tonight...' and I wonder how effective that really is given how many Super League's there are at the moment. Using the words Rugby League to describe our top division is important, and I doubt we could do better than The Rugby League Championship really. Imagine how much better the following would sound...

etc, etc
    We would need to sort out our own league names first though!
    I never knew what was so wrong with Division 1,2, and 3, but as we've gone the same way as football, we'll need a new name for our current 'Championship'.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post

etc, etc
    SuperLeague is branding thats well past its best before date. It belongs squarely back in the 1990’s alongside cheerleaders, try music, hyperbole, and ‘big hits and biff,’

The fact the name is synonymous with small time sports such as netball tell you everything why a sport that is supposedly ‘pioneering’ and aspirational should steer well clear of it.

The name reeks of shit sport like British basketball, Eurosports third tier Motor racing and Greek football. It sounds like the type of idiotic, short term fix that some struggling A level Business Studies student would come up with as part of a ‘product differenciation’ idea. Its just shit on every level, especially when the NRL is so superior. Sooper League, yeah right.

It doesn’t take a genius to call it but a simple truth remains: Our sport could be run better by a good few people on here than the likes of Elstone. Eamonn and co I hope you’re reading; we’re not all coronation street idiots. You voted this clown to lead the game.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Spot on Dave. If we don't want to use the term Championship, why not Rugby League Premiership? Such terminology hasn't hurt football, has it? We've got to get back to claiming the word "Rugby" again. Super League is just a term used by many (usually second or third grade) sports. If we want to be taken seriously, we have to take ourselves seriously, which is why SKY need to ditch the parochial attitude and it's current crop of whippet walking muppets. There are plenty of eloquent and insighful ex players (Noble, Wilkin, Sinfield, Jamie Jones Buchanan to name but a smattering) who could do a much better job than Baz and Tez (Waldorf and Statler) and have more up to date relevant experience of the game. Time for a refresh and rebrand, get rid of Wells (with his conflict of interest re Cas) and Clarke (well past his sell by date) It might even be a good idea to get a commenator who knows the names of the players and officials!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Spot on Dave. If we don't want to use the term Championship, why not Rugby League Premiership? Such terminology hasn't hurt football, has it? We've got to get back to claiming the word "Rugby" again. Super League is just a term used by many (usually second or third grade) sports. If we want to be taken seriously, we have to take ourselves seriously, which is why SKY need to ditch the parochial attitude and it's current crop of whippet walking muppets. There are plenty of eloquent and insighful ex players (Noble, Wilkin, Sinfield, Jamie Jones Buchanan to name but a smattering) who could do a much better job than Baz and Tez (Waldorf and Statler) and have more up to date relevant experience of the game. Time for a refresh and rebrand, get rid of Wells (with his conflict of interest re Cas) and Clarke (well past his sell by date) It might even be a good idea to get a commenator who knows the names of the players and officials!
    Championship was just off the top of my head, I'd be fine with Premiership and keep the Championship as is. The important part is restoring Rugby League.

We should be getting paid for this instead of giving away ideas to the useless SL marketing bod's.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I don't like Superleague and I don't know the answer to what we should call the competition, but RU already have the Premiership; so I think to Rugby Premierships could get a bit messy.

Which is why IMO the BBC's coverage of the Challenge Cup is decent because they have these lads on contract. It's also why I've been going on about us having a proper national weekend highlights show on the BBC because an hour long slot on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon in the style of MOTD presented by Chapman with a rolling cast of two out of Noble, Wilkin, JJB, Peacock each week providing the analysis would be really valuable. Having a weekly slot at (for example) 2pm on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon would then tie in with their live Cup games at the same time, so everyone would know that at 2pm on a Sat afternoon there is RL on BBC, either live Cup games or highlights of the league. Let Sky do what they want with the live games but give us a weekly highlights show which utilises the people BBC use at a good time every weekend, and I think we'd attract new fans to the game off the back of it.

I'd ask the question to everyone on here. If you knew you'd get 20 minute highlights the Thu Sky game, then 20 minute highlights of the Fri Sky game, then a quick round up of the other games on BBC on a Saturday afternoon, with Wilkin, Noble etc giving their analysis, how many of those Thu and Fri night live games would you maybe miss because you knew you were getting the best bits at the weekend without the Sky coverage? Maybe the answer to that is the reason why Sky don't want highlights before Monday night!

In The South Stand

it would be the Rugby LEAGUE Premiership Belgian.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

it would be the Rugby LEAGUE Premiership Belgian.
    I understand that, but if we are looking at a wider audience neutrals may get a bit mixed up. It also looks like we are copying them and can't think for ourselves.

In The South Stand

These posts might just might give the people running the RFL some kind of idea even SKY if and i know its a big if .

These posts might just might give the people running the RFL some kind of idea even SKY if and i know its a big if .
    Doubt it as most of us have been repeating ourselves for the best part of a decade!!

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Doubt it as most of us have been repeating ourselves for the best part of a decade!!

I started a thread called “Superleague - what’s in a name” on 6 March 2019. Most posters on that thread didn’t like the Super League name. However, not every Redvee member expressed an opinion and it may just be a handful of us who think the name has been pinched by women’s sports and has had its day. Does anyone know whether the Super League branding has been raised as an issue on other team’s forums?

I have no objection to Rugby League Premiership. We wouldn’t be copying RU because they’ve already copied football. However, I’d like to keep the name simple. Rugby League First or Rugby League 1 would do me. Even the word “division” is superfluous and both “Premiership” and “Championship” are synonymous with football. As I’ve already said, women’s football gets far more publicity than Rugby League on the main terrestrial news and that’s what the public will think of first when they hear the name. I find it odd that those in charge of the sport want to stick with a name now used by a number of women’s sports. I can only assume that the demand for the name comes from Sky.

I started a thread called “Superleague - what’s in a name” on 6 March 2019. Most posters on that thread didn’t like the Super League name. However, not every Redvee member expressed an opinion and it may just be a handful of us who think the name has been pinched by women’s sports and has had its day. Does anyone know whether the Super League branding has been raised as an issue on other team’s forums?

I have no objection to Rugby League Premiership. We wouldn’t be copying RU because they’ve already copied football. However, I’d like to keep the name simple. Rugby League First or Rugby League 1 would do me. Even the word “division” is superfluous and both “Premiership” and “Championship” are synonymous with football. As I’ve already said, women’s football gets far more publicity than Rugby League on the main terrestrial news and that’s what the public will think of first when they hear the name. I find it odd that those in charge of the sport want to stick with a name now used by a number of women’s sports. I can only assume that the demand for the name comes from Sky.
    I reckon Premiership would be knocked back by our overlords at Sky because it would sound far too much like the comp they got rid of and replaced with the play-offs and the Grand Final back in the 1990s. I think the word Championship has been tainted a bit by it now being thought of as the old football second division, but it has far more prestige IMO than Premiership, and if we ever did change I'd support Championship being used. If we wanted to be properly traditional we could rename the Grand Final as the Championship Final as it was back in the day, and bring back the old trophy as well.

The leagues below are less of a concern really, and RL1, RL2 etc would be fine IMO.

In The South Stand

It seems to me that some of these posts are coming with an acceptance that the Rugby League in Britain is now owned by or at least is in compliance with whatever SKY TV want and also a fear of Rugby Union , i dont see why it should be so.

Banned

Ged, I have said it before, if SKY thinks "kick it out" a football linked anti-racism body is worth 3 million a year, and we as a sport are only worth 20 million for basically ownership of Rugby League its time to move on. Would it be scary? perhaps but they are killing the game to keep clubs tumbling along, which will die off eventually. We need ownership of the sport back. The original Lindsay deal made some sense, the previous ones have not. Framing for the future and mergers? Not the worst of ideas in retrospect.

It seems to me that some of these posts are coming with an acceptance that the Rugby League in Britain is now owned by or at least is in compliance with whatever SKY TV want and also a fear of Rugby Union , i dont see why it should be so.
    Because effectively it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Ged, I have said it before, if SKY thinks "kick it out" a football linked anti-racism body is worth 3 million a year, and we as a sport are only worth 20 million for basically ownership of Rugby League its time to move on. Would it be scary? perhaps but they are killing the game to keep clubs tumbling along, which will die off eventually. We need ownership of the sport back. The original Lindsay deal made some sense, the previous ones have not. Framing for the future and mergers? Not the worst of ideas in retrospect.
    It is all well and good saying let the clubs die that are going to die if you want a 5 team league. It also wouldn't be that scary a proposition in the sense that if there is no TV deal there will probably be no league. The TV money funds the clubs, Saints/Wigan/Leeds included. It is the clubs primary source of income. If there is a viable alternative, great but there just doesn't appear to be one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Because effectively it is.

But Ged is right isnt he? Its a pretty disgusting state of affairs - those who lead our sport appear to be a textbook study in bad negotiation. The SLE/RFL are the modern day BDO. Appalling leaders, abysmal negotiators and no long term vision whatsoever. They'd be lost managing a local newsagents nevermind a professional sport.

Learning All The Songs

To be fair a lot of those views were me rewatching it.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    To be fair a lot of those views were me rewatching it.
    And me. I don’t know how many versions I’ve watched.