Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chris Kendall - Grand Final Referee

In The South Stand

Kendall and his friends at Wigan must be choked (Lam certainly was, on neither the SKY interview or the BBC interview did he congratulate the winners. Although he did say in the SKY interview that "they deserved to win", the "they" being Wigan! He's one sore loser. Never seen that from a GF coach before, I've always seen coaches say congrats to the winners). Kendall said "play on" after telling Theo he was offside, then calls six again when the ball player involved is tackled by a different player, then immediately gives a penalty, not sure what for, neither were the commentators. This is inside the Saints half with two minutes to play. If Hardaker could take pressure kicks, it was all over. Kendall set it up for the Pies and they blew it big style.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Kendall and his friends at Wigan must be choked (Lam certainly was, on neither the SKY interview or the BBC interview did he congratulate the winners. Although he did say in the SKY interview that "they deserved to win", the "they" being Wigan! He's one sore loser. Never seen that from a GF coach before, I've always seen coaches say congrats to the winners). Kendall said "play on" after telling Theo he was offside, then calls six again when the ball player involved is tackled by a different player, then immediately gives a penalty, not sure what for, neither were the commentators. This is inside the Saints half with two minutes to play. If Hardaker could take pressure kicks, it was all over. Kendall set it up for the Pies and they blew it big style.
    The penalty was for Dom Peyroux not releasing TL quick enough after he tackled him.

Not too fussed about Lam not congratulating us as he must have still been in shock after the manner of that defeat.

Learning All The Songs

Rather churlish I feel Prez! A few Wigan fans are saying just the opposite and calling Kendall out on a number of things. That's what some fans always do - blame the ref or accuse him of bias!
    He was better than I expected following his two previous performances. The game was attritional and perhaps he could've given more repeat sets to both sides. The tackle on Theo was, in terms of the rules, a penalty but a soft one. The last penalty he gave was against Peyrouxnot releasing(although the Wigan player milked it and Kendall fell for it). The final was decided on the bounce of the ball, Wigan didn't get it and Saints did! I’m just glad that the game wasn’t decided by a reffing call.
    Last edited by snellinmo; 29th November 2020 at 17:21. Reason: Incomplete

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    Rather churlish I feel Prez! A few Wigan fans are saying just the opposite and calling Kendall out on a number of things. That's what some fans always do - blame the ref or accuse him of bias!
    He was better than I expected following his two previous performances. The game was attritional and perhaps he could've given more repeat sets to both sides. The tackle on Theo was, in terms of the rules, a penalty but a soft one. The last penalty he gave was against Peyrouxnot releasing(although the Wigan player milked it and Kendall fell for it). The final was decided on the bounce of the ball, Wigan didn't get it and Saints did! I’m just glad that the game wasn’t decided by a reffing call.
    Which it would've been if Hardaker didn't bottle pressure kicks!

Which it would've been if Hardaker didn't bottle pressure kicks!
    If we’d lost that game it would have been nothing to do with the ref.

He gave as much to us as he gave to them.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    Agree. One of the reasons I don't come on here as often as I did in the early days and when the forum was in its previous life - the constant, mindless moaning about referees and the graceless comments about opponents in situations such as this game. Thought the referee had a really good game.

As an aside, the referee asked the video referee to check the contact with French for the try but it doesn't look like it was. Not that it should have been disallowed (IMO definitely a try) but I don't think the video ref even looked at it.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by singe View Post
    Agree. One of the reasons I don't come on here as often as I did in the early days and when the forum was in its previous life - the constant, mindless moaning about referees and the graceless comments about opponents in situations such as this game. Thought the referee had a really good game.

As an aside, the referee asked the video referee to check the contact with French for the try but it doesn't look like it was. Not that it should have been disallowed (IMO definitely a try) but I don't think the video ref even looked at it.
    Same for me Singe! I used to post more often but some of the bile on here at times depresses me. The banter has descended into such depths of vitriol that it’s embarrassing. Used to enjoy reading comments rom Saints and other teams fans,
    I know that I will now be told to join the Foreign Office and to stay off Redvee if I don’t like it.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Thought he had more than a decent game , Kendal and Moore are now miles above the rest .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The South Stand

That's pretty amazing, you condemn what I'm alluding to then go on to say (as an aside) that the ref even asked the video ref to check if our try was legal re the contact with French, which you then say you think the video ref didn't bother! But I guess that isn't "mindless moaning"? Give me a break mate.

Yeah, that was a poor miss by the ref and I feared the worst. However, it didn't really pan out like that because for all their third man in tactics and gobbing off, at the end of the game many of the Piescum looked like they'd gone ten rounds with Anthony Joshua! We absolutely battered them and for 90% of the game we were a threat. Whilst their goal line defence was outstanding, our defence was outstanding all over the field. Smithies should've had a yellow but then we'd have suffered the same accusations as the Ben Flower sending off, that the ref somehow aided our win. Well not in that game last night, Pies were stuffed fair and square, hope they enjoyed winning what they deride as the"hub cap", enjoy it lads! You only won that because the SL decided to stop the league when you were top! Ha! COYS!
    love this

That's pretty amazing, you condemn what I'm alluding to then go on to say (as an aside) that the ref even asked the video ref to check if our try was legal re the contact with French, which you then say you think the video ref didn't bother! But I guess that isn't "mindless moaning"? Give me a break mate.
    Not so. I was just making an observation. Listening to the referees comments as he initially signalled he thought it was a try, he asked for the contact with French to be assessed. Maybe the video ref did look at it, but usually you would expect a few slo-mos at the point of contact but it didn't happen. Just making an observation really. Did I touch a nerve?

In The South Stand

Not so. I was just making an observation. Listening to the referees comments as he initially signalled he thought it was a try, he asked for the contact with French to be assessed. Maybe the video ref did look at it, but usually you would expect a few slo-mos at the point of contact but it didn't happen. Just making an observation really. Did I touch a nerve?
    Not at all singe. The "mindless moaning" which you allude to is something that I do not follow. My issues with Kendall are the following:

It must be very difficult to be impartial when you are officiating the same team for eight straight matches. You become accustomed to that teams style of play and indeed to the individuals within that team. Their style, in effect becomes the norm. It was ridiculous that Kendall be given the GF on that basis alone. The same way it was ridiculous for Hicks to be given the Saints v Wire Challenge Cup final whilst being feted with tea and biscuits by Wire prior to the event and allegedly receiving death threats……………..now where's that video ref when you need him Robert? Both officials were far too close to clubs in finals.

The fact that a week earlier the Disciplinary Tribunal had given two players lengthy bans and indeed fines when Kendall had not spotted one of the incidents (fair enough) the other however was right in front of him. This consisted of a clenched fist and swinging arm making direct contact to a players head. This was compounded by the perpetrator then attempting to lift up his victim, suggesting the victim was milking the incident. Not only did Kendall not give a card for the behaviour, he just waved play on once the victim received treatment. The subsequent action of the Disciplinary team showed that Kendall's decision making was badly impaired, yet he was rewarded by being given the GF.

Perhaps when others are (like you) "making observations", you choose to have a "mindless moan" at them? (not touching any nerves am I?) At the end of the day Kendall gave Wigan the opportunity to win the game with two minutes on the clock, the individuals who watched the game can decide for themselves if this was the correct call. Thankfully Hardaker's lack of big game bottle ensured it didn't matter.

Learning All The Songs

Not at all singe. The "mindless moaning" which you allude to is something that I do not follow. My issues with Kendall are the following:

It must be very difficult to be impartial when you are officiating the same team for eight straight matches. You become accustomed to that teams style of play and indeed to the individuals within that team. Their style, in effect becomes the norm. It was ridiculous that Kendall be given the GF on that basis alone. The same way it was ridiculous for Hicks to be given the Saints v Wire Challenge Cup final whilst being feted with tea and biscuits by Wire prior to the event and allegedly receiving death threats……………..now where's that video ref when you need him Robert? Both officials were far too close to clubs in finals.

The fact that a week earlier the Disciplinary Tribunal had given two players lengthy bans and indeed fines when Kendall had not spotted one of the incidents (fair enough) the other however was right in front of him. This consisted of a clenched fist and swinging arm making direct contact to a players head. This was compounded by the perpetrator then attempting to lift up his victim, suggesting the victim was milking the incident. Not only did Kendall not give a card for the behaviour, he just waved play on once the victim received treatment. The subsequent action of the Disciplinary team showed that Kendall's decision making was badly impaired, yet he was rewarded by being given the GF.

Perhaps when others are (like you) "making observations", you choose to have a "mindless moan" at them? (not touching any nerves am I?) At the end of the day Kendall gave Wigan the opportunity to win the game with two minutes on the clock, the individuals who watched the game can decide for themselves if this was the correct call. Thankfully Hardaker's lack of big game bottle ensured it didn't matter.
    I think Prez from pre-game and post-game posts you genuinely have a dislike for the way Kendall referees Saints matches and that just may be influencing your views. If you think he gave Wigan the opportunity to win the game it is your view. However Theo had just made two tackles one off the floor, Wigan scooted from dummy half and a six again was called against Theo, Dom who was taking a breather flopped on the player. KC and Robes have made a career out of that play, Kendall had little choice, Hardaker missed and we won.

You haven't touched any nerve. I just a little amused by the way you have reacted, especially as my initial post on this subject wasn't particularly directed at you. However, while you're at it, and with regard to your post, I thought the referee had an outstanding game and your concerns over his appointment clearly had no substance. There's plenty I could have taken you to task for over this thread. For example, your claim that we battered them - we had so much possession and only scored our first try after the final hooter. As others have pointed out, that final was decided on the toss of a coin, it could have gone either way.

Rather than primary school gloating (on an earlier one of your posts), why not call this game out for what it was. An outstanding advertisement by two incredibly well matched teams that was played in a tough, uncompromising, but fair way by two teams who showed the utmost respect for each other. Two teams that showed each other utmost respect after the final hooter. Perhaps Lam should have congratulated Saints and didn't, but give the guy a break. I saw that as a guy who showed raw emotion and full commitment to his club - if I was a Wiganer, I'd rather that than a coach who couldn't give a s**t. That was a fantastic advertisement for our game at a time when it was most desperately needed.

In The South Stand

You haven't touched any nerve. I just a little amused by the way you have reacted, especially as my initial post on this subject wasn't particularly directed at you. However, while you're at it, and with regard to your post, I thought the referee had an outstanding game and your concerns over his appointment clearly had no substance. There's plenty I could have taken you to task for over this thread. For example, your claim that we battered them - we had so much possession and only scored our first try after the final hooter. As others have pointed out, that final was decided on the toss of a coin, it could have gone either way.

Rather than primary school gloating (on an earlier one of your posts), why not call this game out for what it was. An outstanding advertisement by two incredibly well matched teams that was played in a tough, uncompromising, but fair way by two teams who showed the utmost respect for each other. Two teams that showed each other utmost respect after the final hooter. Perhaps Lam should have congratulated Saints and didn't, but give the guy a break. I saw that as a guy who showed raw emotion and full commitment to his club - if I was a Wiganer, I'd rather that than a coach who couldn't give a s**t. That was a fantastic advertisement for our game at a time when it was most desperately needed.
    So now it's "primary school gloating". Listen mate, this is a forum for frank exchanges of views, backed up (usually) with some evidence or validity to claims made, which I have done, too bad if you don't agree, I don't care! We did "batter them". Didn't you see them after the game? Didn't you see us camped on their line? Didn't you see the possession we had? Just because we didn't score a hatfull of tries doesn't mean we didn't batter them. What are you on? If you want to come out with playground insults, I'm not really interested in continuing to reply to your banal accusations of "mindless moaning", "primary school gloating" etc. Maybe the sun has got to you? I'll leave you to think up some more insults which I shall not be replying to, enjoy.

In The South Stand

The biggest problem i have with Kendall is he seems to ignore obvious penalties and incidents at times in the name of letting the game flow.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    The biggest problem i have with Kendall is he seems to ignore obvious penalties and incidents at times in the name of letting the game flow.
    This. From a neutrals perspective he was good for the final because he just doesn't penalise anything unless it's so blatant that one of the touch judges does it for him.

He doesn't police the 10 at all, he doesn't even look. There were some glaring examples of this in the final. If we'd lost I would no doubt have screenshot every single one of them and made a 300+ post thread on Twitter complaining about it. Markers are another area he won't give a penalty or set restart for, he'll just tell the player not to tackle. If they then do he'll give one, but again teams like Wigan are clever enough to spot these things and channel the traffic where they can cope best. But when sides are constantly having markers stood side by side it removes the option for the hooker to run, which isn't fair. It wouldn't even matter if all the referees were like Kendall, it's consistency they need to find.

His style definitely suits Wigan. If a Saints Wigan game was refereed by a whistle happy dweeb we'd beat them more comfortably.

And on that, I'd still like to know why he's done their last 7 games. It's a bizarre stat and unless there are some Covid related reasons for it, it's definitely questionable.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    This. From a neutrals perspective he was good for the final because he just doesn't penalise anything unless it's so blatant that one of the touch judges does it for him.

He doesn't police the 10 at all, he doesn't even look. There were some glaring examples of this in the final. If we'd lost I would no doubt have screenshot every single one of them and made a 300+ post thread on Twitter complaining about it. Markers are another area he won't give a penalty or set restart for, he'll just tell the player not to tackle. If they then do he'll give one, but again teams like Wigan are clever enough to spot these things and channel the traffic where they can cope best. But when sides are constantly having markers stood side by side it removes the option for the hooker to run, which isn't fair. It wouldn't even matter if all the referees were like Kendall, it's consistency they need to find.

His style definitely suits Wigan. If a Saints Wigan game was refereed by a whistle happy dweeb we'd beat them more comfortably.

And on that, I'd still like to know why he's done their last 7 games. It's a bizarre stat and unless there are some Covid related reasons for it, it's definitely questionable.
    This sums it up for me, he was constantly shouting at Willie Isa telling him he was offside, whilst he may not have got involved in effecting the tackle, he was still in the eyeline of the attacker.

By the time most players have processed that he is offside the tackle is been made, his presence offside forces teams to play more up the middle as it makes it look like the edge defence has got up quickly, limiting the ability to play round their defence.

Banned

Top, top referee, obvious choice for the final and all round good guy until his next mistake against us.

So now it's "primary school gloating". Listen mate, this is a forum for frank exchanges of views, backed up (usually) with some evidence or validity to claims made, which I have done, too bad if you don't agree, I don't care! We did "batter them". Didn't you see them after the game? Didn't you see us camped on their line? Didn't you see the possession we had? Just because we didn't score a hatfull of tries doesn't mean we didn't batter them. What are you on? If you want to come out with playground insults, I'm not really interested in continuing to reply to your banal accusations of "mindless moaning", "primary school gloating" etc. Maybe the sun has got to you? I'll leave you to think up some more insults which I shall not be replying to, enjoy.
    I'm well aware of how forums work. In fact, along with the likes of Sadfish, Hugh J, Deceptive etc I was one of the original posters on the original Saints forum back in the mid-90s. Have to disagree on the 'battered them' issue. Not a criticism of Saints that we didn't batter them but recognition that this was an incredibly close game that was ultimately decided by a bit of luck, or perhaps two bounces of luck. Of course you don't need to score a shed load of tries to batter someone but we hadn't scored one until after the final hooter. Despite all the pressure, it took the bounce of a ball to decide the final. Everything we threw at them they repelled, except for the final play. Battered them? Certainly not. Felt we just edged it though. More than happy if you don't reply - not really frank discussion though, is it?

Banned

I'm well aware of how forums work. In fact, along with the likes of Sadfish, Hugh J, Deceptive etc I was one of the original posters on the original Saints forum back in the mid-90s. Have to disagree on the 'battered them' issue. Not a criticism of Saints that we didn't batter them but recognition that this was an incredibly close game that was ultimately decided by a bit of luck, or perhaps two bounces of luck. Of course you don't need to score a shed load of tries to batter someone but we hadn't scored one until after the final hooter. Despite all the pressure, it took the bounce of a ball to decide the final. Everything we threw at them they repelled, except for the final play. Battered them? Certainly not. Felt we just edged it though. More than happy if you don't reply - not really frank discussion though, is it?
    I think Prez is saying that we physically battered them, as in left them battered and bruised. In the context of the last meeting with them, it was a big turnround.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I think Prez is saying that we physically battered them, as in left them battered and bruised. In the context of the last meeting with them, it was a big turnround.
    They certainly looked like that when they came off at half time, when you look at the goon forwards stats overall for metres they were well down on our forwards.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    They certainly looked like that when they came off at half time, when you look at the goon forwards stats overall for metres they were well down on our forwards.
    I've not been able to find the stats

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Thanks Webbo. Jeez some people just want an argument, don't they? That's why it's pointless continuing a debate when they wont acknowledge facts. I'm pretty sure we dominated possession, yardage and looking at the Pies' faces at the end (which looked like they'd been in a boxing match) the players themselves. It might not have been reflected in the score, but we ultimately did physically batter them. they were physically dominated, I'm sure the stats would bear this out.

Banned

Thanks Webbo. Jeez some people just want an argument, don't they? That's why it's pointless continuing a debate when they wont acknowledge facts. I'm pretty sure we dominated possession, yardage and looking at the Pies' faces at the end (which looked like they'd been in a boxing match) the players themselves. It might not have been reflected in the score, but we ultimately did physically batter them. they were physically dominated, I'm sure the stats would bear this out.
    I also don't get the idea of people avoiding this site because there's hate and vitriol aimed at (mostly) wi*an.