Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chris Kendall - Grand Final Referee

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Just reading the saints website and the RFL have launched a match officials training programme for veterans.

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/11/2...-for-veterans/

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    The standard of refereeing is a reflection of where the games at. Interestingly, you never hear union fans complaining of bad refereeing decisions at the top end of the game.

Yes they do, check out the abuse the kiwis gave wayne barnes after they lost to the French in the world cup or wales when rolland sent off warburton in the world cup semi. Ref's get hammered in pretty much every sport, they are the easy target but there is no game with out them

Noooobie

Just reading the saints website and the RFL have launched a match officials training programme for veterans.

I'm a veteran and did my ref training back in 2007, after I'd left the mob. Ref'd all over the south of England Cornwall to Kent and Southampton to Oxford. Also ref'd in Union at the same time. I remember when I was in the mob there were regular ads in unit orders for RL referees.

But to the points about Kendall, at least it's not Hicks.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post
    Yes they do, check out the abuse the kiwis gave wayne barnes after they lost to the French in the world cup or wales when rolland sent off warburton in the world cup semi. Ref's get hammered in pretty much every sport, they are the easy target but there is no game with out them
    Maybe they do in odd games. Having watched the six nations and last weekends nations league games, I couldn't remember a bad decision. In league it's consistently bad, across the board. Every game, your talking about the ref. Here we are, the week of the biggest game of the season and we're talking about the ref. I feel for them, it's an impossible task and more should be done to help them.

RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I don't think referees are any worse now than they have been previously and I go back to the days of Eric Clay, Ronnie Gelder, Billy Thompson etc. Now there is much more scrutiny because of video and especially these last few months when we have seen as many as six games a week on t.v.
    Sky seem to love making an issue of things to create their own controversy. Compare that to the Aussie games we watch, yes there are still mistakes but they are not highlighted in any way to the same degree as over here.
    No comparison. I can't recall any NRL matches I've watched where there has been consistent lying on, third man in , flops , ignoring the 10 metres at the play the ball because these things have all but disappeared from their game because they were penalised for it. One team in SL gets away with this style of play continually. Possibly because they are constantly officiated by the same man?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    No comparison. I can't recall any NRL matches I've watched where there has been consistent lying on, third man in , flops , ignoring the 10 metres at the play the ball because these things have all but disappeared from their game because they were penalised for it. One team in SL gets away with this style of play continually. Possibly because they are constantly officiated by the same man?
    2 teams I'd say.

Learning All The Songs

The thing is with that is if they actually penalised a team for doing it, they would actually stop doing it pretty quickly, but what seems to be a directive from the RFL is for referees to not over penalise one side, irrespective of whether they should be penalised.

I heard someone say the logic of not blowing for penalty after penalty is that they dont want the game to slow down and become a stop start affair, the problem is with that logic is you get teams that lie on and fail to clear the ruck quickly therefore slowing the play down, or stand a yard offside, making it easier to shut play down, all that does is slow the game down and make it boring and one dimensional. You can almost guarantee that if the officials properly penalised teams for their indiscretions they would begin to police themselves better and that would make the game a better product to watch.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    2 teams I'd say.
    Maybe 3, one team gets away with slowing the play the ball down so much, when we lost to them at home i remember the fat little gremlin Hewer allowing them to do it all game.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    The thing is with that is if they actually penalised a team for doing it, they would actually stop doing it pretty quickly, but what seems to be a directive from the RFL is for referees to not over penalise one side, irrespective of whether they should be penalised.

I heard someone say the logic of not blowing for penalty after penalty is that they dont want the game to slow down and become a stop start affair, the problem is with that logic is you get teams that lie on and fail to clear the ruck quickly therefore slowing the play down, or stand a yard offside, making it easier to shut play down, all that does is slow the game down and make it boring and one dimensional. You can almost guarantee that if the officials properly penalised teams for their indiscretions they would begin to police themselves better and that would make the game a better product to watch.
    Exactly right. Why don't they just enforce the damn rules?! Tomkins was moaning after the Catalans game that it was "stop start", well yeah, because his team consistently broke the rules!

Learning All The Songs

Exactly right. Why don't they just enforce the damn rules?! Tomkins was moaning after the Catalans game that it was "stop start", well yeah, because his team consistently broke the rules!
    The only thing i can think of is they dont want people to think they are showing any type of bias by having a near even penalty count, even though not calling clear penalties is in itself bias. If somethings a penalty, just call it irrespective of who it is.

The only thing i can think of is they dont want people to think they are showing any type of bias by having a near even penalty count, even though not calling clear penalties is in itself bias. If somethings a penalty, just call it irrespective of who it is.
    Agree completely. What is the obsession with the penalty count at all?

Rather than how many were given, were they the correct call & were the rules consistently applied?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Maybe they do in odd games. Having watched the six nations and last weekends nations league games, I couldn't remember a bad decision. In league it's consistently bad, across the board. Every game, your talking about the ref. Here we are, the week of the biggest game of the season and we're talking about the ref. I feel for them, it's an impossible task and more should be done to help them.

You get very few complaints about Union Refs in what is a much more technical sport in terms of scrums lineouts, rucks etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

Rather than how many were given, were they the correct call & were the rules consistently applied?
    That's all we are asking for.

Banned

I was shouting the exact same thing at the TV on Friday.

That should be the very minimum criteria on which referee's are judged. As it stands it basically rewards poor discipline.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    You get very few complaints about Union Refs in what is a much more technical sport in terms of scrums lineouts, rucks etc.
    I think the fact that they are miked up and their decisions can be heard clearly, along with their explanation of it helps massively. You can tell there is a process to their decision making and it is as transparent as it can be, yes they get decisions wrong, but at least you can see how they got to that decision, rather than the guesswork you get from some of our officials, usually because the play is far too quick for them.

I think the fact that they are miked up and their decisions can be heard clearly, along with their explanation of it helps massively. You can tell there is a process to their decision making and it is as transparent as it can be, yes they get decisions wrong, but at least you can see how they got to that decision, rather than the guesswork you get from some of our officials, usually because the play is far too quick for them.
    You are right. I think that the process they go through with fans on TV hearing everything, makes every decision clear.

In The South Stand

Spot on mate. If the rules were equally applied you would get teams playing lying on, third man in on a grounded player, headshots, offside penalised as were Catalans in the semi. As a result the team offended against used the rightfully awarded penalties constructivel to complete a deserved win over thug like opponents. When these "dark arts" go unpunished then rugby league is not the winner.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Happy to give the lad a chance and see how he goes. I think refs need more help from the video ref most of the time for incidents as in RU.
    Learned comment from The Don

Got A Replica Shirt

Correct.

Got A Replica Shirt

I was pretty amazed that he got awarded a semi-final at all, in truth. He was so very poor in the recent Saints Wigan game allowing endless high shots, and semi-permanent offsides by Wigan. He then somehow missed McIlorum's assault on Dwyer, not awarding a penalty even though it was right under his nose. The following week he somehow gets a semi-final in spite of that. In that semi we saw a player penalised for tapping someone on the head, which is apparently more serious, in his world, than trying to break an opponents nose with a clenched-fist swinging arm. What is he on?
    And now he gets the Final. Good Lord. So, this Friday it's 'open season' on Saints' players heads, and no controlling of Wigan's off-side ploys.
    If he does referee Wigan to the same low standard again, it will be bad news not only for Saints but for the game of Rugby League in its showpiece event.

Banned

At least they'll have very shiny boots.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I have to say that Kendall made Tony Chubb look like Usain Bolt the way he policed the goons line of defence. Hopefully he will have had a look at a few replays to see where he can sort this out. A fast GF would be a spectacle.
    Learned comment from The Don

We go into this one as a team that had everything thrown at us last game and came out convincing winners. We go into the Grand Final as a team wanting revenge for our defeat against the bully boy goons.

The choice of Kendall is disappointing but expected. We go out on Friday knowing who we are against and how hard this is going to be considering this announcement.

We need to stand up to both these adversaries and show how this club is above everything they throw at us.

COYS

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    We go into this one as a team that had everything thrown at us last game and came out convincing winners. We go into the Grand Final as a team wanting revenge for our defeat against the bully boy goons.

The choice of Kendall is disappointing but expected. We go out on Friday knowing who we are against and how hard this is going to be considering this announcement.

We need to stand up to both these adversaries and show how this club is above everything they throw at us.

COYS
    At dawn we ride !

COYS

Got A Season Ticket

Band of Brothers speech sums it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=680NlRI3v2I

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers!

COYS !!!!