Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chris Kendall - Grand Final Referee

Learning All The Songs yogi bear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    If he refs headshots, slowing the PTB and offside like he did in the Derby game the other week, then we've no chance. The scum's entire gameplan is based around being dirty b*stards to injure players out of the game, slowing the PTB to stop the opposition getting on a roll against a disorganised defence, and being offside to stop the ball carrier getting to top speed before collision.

Kendall will be making puppy eyes at that dirty •••• O'Loughlin all game and blissfully ignore that every one of his tackles is round the jawline of the ball carrier.

It's such a shitshow of a sport.
    If he lets Jackson Hastings get away with being 5 yards offside on every last tackle like he did in the semi our kicking game will struggle.

The other thing I noticed from the semi is how many "warnings" Wigan got without being penalised. Every ptb all I could hear was

"Liam not square"
    "Willie you're off" etc etc etc

Whilst the offending players didn't get involved and so didn't concede penalties - they still cut down the space all night

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Was definitely Kendall mate
    I thought it was a reference to the referee for our game last Friday . I obviously miss read the post .

In The South Stand

I think those hoping for strict offside etc will be disappointed (for both teams) - for some reason or other in big games refs decide to be incredibly lenient with the whistle, which also probably explains why so many of said games are cr*p from an entertainment perspective

In The South Stand

Genuinely unbelievable. In what other sport would a referee get rewarded for such a disgraceful performance in a play off game by being given the Semi Final and then the Final.

Does anyone who works for the RFL have any accountability for their performance?
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    If he refs headshots, slowing the PTB and offside like he did in the Derby game the other week, then we've no chance. The scum's entire gameplan is based around being dirty b*stards to injure players out of the game, slowing the PTB to stop the opposition getting on a roll against a disorganised defence, and being offside to stop the ball carrier getting to top speed before collision.

Kendall will be making puppy eyes at that dirty •••• O'Loughlin all game and blissfully ignore that every one of his tackles is round the jawline of the ball carrier.

It's such a shitshow of a sport.

Let’s take another view.

All eyes on Kendall for this, and after his mistakes he may police the game better. Our boys need to make sure he gets the message if any high shots come in. Take a minute, hold your neck, medics on the pitch to give the video ref chance to have a look and a word, like Regan did when Maloney tried to pull his head off last Week...

Also, I think our big lads (Alex, Jammer, LMS and Knowles spring to mind) need to run in if anything happens and start bumping Hastings, French and Hardaker out of the way and let them know there’s some size 10’s ready to kick arse.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

I wonder if he'll revert back to not penalising the Partington head pat? On a serious note we just need to play the game, not the ref. Saints 'A' game beats Wigan's. We have a better attack ad defense. The stats back it up.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

He is the go to referee for the RFL. The attitude in previous seasons was the referee with the best form in the playoffs got the Grand Final. This year that is Liam Moore.

That being said, Kendall is probably still the best referee we have in this country and Moore has had some strange performances this year.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post
    Genuinely unbelievable. In what other sport would a referee get rewarded for such a disgraceful performance in a play off game by being given the Semi Final and then the Final.

Does anyone who works for the RFL have any accountability for their performance?
    I'd love to hear their rationale regarding why he was selected for this.........
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    He is the go to referee for the RFL. The attitude in previous seasons was the referee with the best form in the playoffs got the Grand Final. This year that is Liam Moore.

That being said, Kendall is probably still the best referee we have in this country and Moore has had some strange performances this year.

Haven’t they all ?

Noooobie

Good to see you lads have got your excuses in early. If Wigan do win it’ll all be Kendall’s fault with Wigan using every cheating tactic in the world to beat the mighty saints who never commit any foul play

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KingRoss11 View Post
    Good to see you lads have got your excuses in early. If Wigan do win it’ll all be Kendall’s fault with Wigan using every cheating tactic in the world to beat the mighty saints who never commit any foul play
    Correct. Maybe you lot aren't as stupid as you appear.

It was obvious that Kendall would get the GF gig as soon as Moore refereed the CC Final. They usually give one Final to one ref and then the other Final to the other ref. Thaler would have been the obvious choice however for whatever reason he hasn't been in the mix and refereed any of the top games for a while.

Moore is from Wigan so that rules him out.

The other point is that despite Kendall doing a lot of the Wigan games of late, there haven't actually been many games played for the last few weeks. It's only really the top 4 teams that have played so given that he is one of the top ones (despite what some of us may think) he has naturally been busy.

Having reflected on it, as much as it annoys me that this will be the 7th successive Wigan game where he has been a ref, I'm not sure what the alternatives are.

Maybe the fact that we had the issue with Hicks after last years CC Final has stopped him from doing it.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    It was obvious that Kendall would get the GF gig as soon as Moore refereed the CC Final. They usually give one Final to one ref and then the other Final to the other ref. Thaler would have been the obvious choice however for whatever reason he hasn't been in the mix and refereed any of the top games for a while.

The other point is that despite Kendall doing a lot of the Wigan games of late, there haven't actually been many games played for the last few weeks. It's only really the top 4 teams that have played so given that he is one of the top ones (despite what some of us may think) he has naturally been busy.

Having reflected on it, as much as it annoys me that this will be the 7th successive Wigan game where he has been a ref, I'm not sure what the alternatives are.

Maybe the fact that we had the issue with Hicks after last years CC Final has stopped him from doing it.
    at least its not Gareth Hewer (or Mr Blobby as he should be known)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I really hope the referee isn't a factor. I completely understand the 7 games in a row argument, it's weird and wouldn't happen in any other sport. The RFL have put Kendall in a no win situation really just like they did with Hicks in the CC final last year. I'm also surprised he's been rewarded after his poor perofmance in the Leeds v Catalans game. It's not Kendall's fault though and I hope to god he has a good game and remains pretty anonymous on Friday.

All we can do is control the controllables and wasting time worrying about the ref won't do anyone any good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Let’s take another view.

All eyes on Kendall for this, and after his mistakes he may police the game better. Our boys need to make sure he gets the message if any high shots come in. Take a minute, hold your neck, medics on the pitch to give the video ref chance to have a look and a word, like Regan did when Maloney tried to pull his head off last Week...

Also, I think our big lads (Alex, Jammer, LMS and Knowles spring to mind) need to run in if anything happens and start bumping Hastings, French and Hardaker out of the way and let them know there’s some size 10’s ready to kick arse.

Agree with this, get right into them when they mess about.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by KingRoss11 View Post
    You've got to admit, seven games in a row officiating the same team, it's a trifle odd isn't it?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I really hope the referee isn't a factor. I completely understand the 7 games in a row argument, it's weird and wouldn't happen in any other sport. The RFL have put Kendall in a no win situation really just like they did with Hicks in the CC final last year. I'm also surprised he's been rewarded after his poor perofmance in the Leeds v Catalans game. It's not Kendall's fault though and I hope to god he has a good game and remains pretty anonymous on Friday.

All we can do is control the controllables and wasting time worrying about the ref won't do anyone any good.
    I wonder how many games this season Kendall has officiated a Goon match and we can include the video ref as well, if that accrues to 60 to 70% that doesn't sit comfortably with balance of appointments, he could be classed as a Goon Home Ref and its only right to question it.

Some fans are also saying that Kendall coaches the goon players respect to offside and interference issues but doesn't penalise them, something to watch out for in the future. I know Thaler use to do that but not seem much of him lately.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I'm not bothered about the seven games in a row tbh, it is a bit strange but I don't think there's anything sinister in it. I'm more bothered about Wigan not being back the 10 metres or square at potb which against Hull he allowed too much.
    It's funny though how Wiganers think that because we are pointing out flaws of refs it's because we are feared of Wigan... Our best will beat their best I've no worries about that but we have to produce that display. They're a cocky bunch who think they've got it won already.. We'll see Friday

In The South Stand

With Kendall having reffed six Wigan games on the spin, the coaching staff have a matter of days to break down the last six games and see what penalties Wigan have got, how many they’re getting, what times and what is going unpunished and utilise it in our game plan.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post

I made that same point on RL fans, neither Moore or Mikalauskis have been allowed to referee a Wigan game this season, I'd guarantee there'd be a big outcry if chosen for the final.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

The standard of refereeing is a reflection of where the games at. Interestingly, you never hear union fans complaining of bad refereeing decisions at the top end of the game.

RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    The standard of refereeing is a reflection of where the games at. Interestingly, you never hear union fans complaining of bad refereeing decisions at the top end of the game.

I agree.

What the reaction to the Kendall appointment really highlights is that the standard in general is really poor and it's very much a case of picking the best of a bad bunch. Referees are talked about far too much in Rugby League and the reason for that is the regularity of their incompetence. I always say a good ref shouldn't get noticed but more often than not they are talking point.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I'm not bothered about the seven games in a row tbh, it is a bit strange but I don't think there's anything sinister in it. I'm more bothered about Wigan not being back the 10 metres or square at potb which against Hull he allowed too much.
    I think the two things are connected, though. If you have the same ref every week you’re going to develop a very clear sense of what you can get away with.

I don’t think it’s sinister, but I do think it’s poor planning.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

I don't think referees are any worse now than they have been previously and I go back to the days of Eric Clay, Ronnie Gelder, Billy Thompson etc. Now there is much more scrutiny because of video and especially these last few months when we have seen as many as six games a week on t.v.
    Sky seem to love making an issue of things to create their own controversy. Compare that to the Aussie games we watch, yes there are still mistakes but they are not highlighted in any way to the same degree as over here.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I don't think referees are any worse now than they have been previously and I go back to the days of Eric Clay, Ronnie Gelder, Billy Thompson etc. Now there is much more scrutiny because of video and especially these last few months when we have seen as many as six games a week on t.v.
    Sky seem to love making an issue of things to create their own controversy. Compare that to the Aussie games we watch, yes there are still mistakes but they are not highlighted in any way to the same degree as over here.
    So SKY have jedi mind tricked us into believing Kendalls been a disgrace over the past few weeks? Gotcha
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies