Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Catalans

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

He also told tomkins he should have been a ref

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    Maybe? Your having a bubble bath my child!
    Are all the men of the cloth into touching children?
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    Quite interesting reading on Wigan Forum re our match tonight. The ref favoured Saints who scored two tries off forward passes and Grace scored after an obstruction. Walmsley’s high tackle was a sin binning if Maloney’s was. Catalans blew it through too many mistakes and Saints are soft!
    That’s because posters on here said Wigan get reffed differently!
    In reality, Saints let rugby do the talking and consigned thugby to the French poubelle!
    Must admit myself that the short pass from Coote to Welsby and Graces try were real game changing moments in the overall scheme of things. Catalans were well in it prior to that weren't they?? Can't remember another possible forward pass and Walmsleys was off the shoulder and lazy rather than a stiff arm straight to the jaw. If Walmsleys was a yellow then Maloney would be looking at 8 games.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I'm glad it's not only me that can't believe some of the comments. We scored 8 tries only one of them from a forward. Kept them tryless. Most entertaining game we have played for a few weeks.
    I've deliberately not read them, so I couldn't be influenced. :-)

In the end, I thought it was a brilliant performance. They went out with the attitude that if they weren't going to win the Grand Final, then neither were we, but we stood up to them, weren't intimidated by them and in the end our depleted forward line completely bossed them.

In the second half, we played some great rugby, opened up and tore them apart. There is no doubt that it was our best performance of the season. The players did everything asked of them and they implemented the plan perfectly. A 9 out of 10 performance.

BUT

I didn't see anything I didn't know before deep analysis led me to post in depth about why we could beat anyone else, but Wigan and/or Warrington would undo us on the big occasion.

Something I've said ad nauseum now since May is that we only decide to play rugby when the game is won. In the first half, we plundered it down the middle, making few or no passes. it was conservative rugby all the way. Yet the one time we did move it out wide, we scored. With the the luck of the early second half try killing the game and another shortly after, we suddenly started to move the ball about and offload, and you know what, it suits us. We are great front runners because when we express ourselves we are untouchable in this country.

However, the coach does not allow us to express ourselves until well clear. Therefore, this means that when we are in a close battle, we don't get to that stage where we do express ourselves, we get stuck in a midfield slog, and the lack of creativity from the halves near the line means that we don't have the tools to win that slog.

It's all on the coach. If he allows our backs to play, then we will win next week. However, I think we all know the drill by now. He will only allow the backs to play when we are more than two scores in front and that's not going to happen against them. To beat Wigan, you can't just plough it down the middle, you've got to use the backs and hurt them by moving the ball. Watching us all season, I know how we are going to play it, and I fear that methodology will see us lose and come out wondering what would have happened had we just been a little bit more adventurous and played to the strengths of a 1,2, 3 and 5 that are as good as any in Super League.

I'll, of course, be delighted to be proved wrong. :-)
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Starting A Programme Collection greggo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgowsaint View Post
    Good to see briers still got a soft spot for us.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
    Lee grew up supporting saints played for saints and if you, ve met him you then know what a nice lad he is. I, m glad he,s one of us.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post

In the end, I thought it was a brilliant performance. They went out with the attitude that if they weren't going to win the Grand Final, then neither were we, but we stood up to them, weren't intimidated by them and in the end our depleted forward line completely bossed them.

In the second half, we played some great rugby, opened up and tore them apart. There is no doubt that it was our best performance of the season. The players did everything asked of them and they implemented the plan perfectly. A 9 out of 10 performance.

BUT

I didn't see anything I didn't know before deep analysis led me to post in depth about why we could beat anyone else, but Wigan and/or Warrington would undo us on the big occasion.

Something I've said ad nauseum now since May is that we only decide to play rugby when the game is won. In the first half, we plundered it down the middle, making few or no passes. it was conservative rugby all the way. Yet the one time we did move it out wide, we scored. With the the luck of the early second half try killing the game and another shortly after, we suddenly started to move the ball about and offload, and you know what, it suits us. We are great front runners because when we express ourselves we are untouchable in this country.

However, the coach does not allow us to express ourselves until well clear. Therefore, this means that when we are in a close battle, we don't get to that stage where we do express ourselves, we get stuck in a midfield slog, and the lack of creativity from the halves near the line means that we don't have the tools to win that slog.

It's all on the coach. If he allows our backs to play, then we will win next week. However, I think we all know the drill by now. He will only allow the backs to play when we are more than two scores in front and that's not going to happen against them. To beat Wigan, you can't just plough it down the middle, you've got to use the backs and hurt them by moving the ball. Watching us all season, I know how we are going to play it, and that methodology will see us lose and come out wondering what would have happened had we just been a little bit more adventurous.

I
    What utter tosh

Learning All The Songs

BUT

It's all on the coach. If he allows our backs to play, then we will win next week. However, I think we all know the drill by now. He will only allow the backs to play when we are more than two scores in front and that's not going to happen against them. To beat Wigan, you can't just plough it down the middle, you've got to use the backs and hurt them by moving the ball. Watching us all season, I know how we are going to play it, and that methodology will see us lose and come out wondering what would have happened had we just been a little bit more adventurous.

I
    I thought there was a definite shift in tactics tonight. We seemed much more willing to spread the play early in the tackle count than we have in previous games.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

BUT

It's all on the coach. If he allows our backs to play, then we will win next week. However, I think we all know the drill by now. He will only allow the backs to play when we are more than two scores in front and that's not going to happen against them. To beat Wigan, you can't just plough it down the middle, you've got to use the backs and hurt them by moving the ball. Watching us all season, I know how we are going to play it, and I fear that methodology will see us lose and come out wondering what would have happened had we just been a little bit more adventurous and played to the strengths of a 1,2, 3 and 5 that are as good as any in Super League.

Strangest translation of well done Kristian I’ve ever read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    What utter tosh
    Thanks for that in-depth and thoughtful analysis. I like articulate reasoning. You've just tore it all apart with three words. Let's reconvene next week. If I'm wrong, Ill be absolutely delighted.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by greggo View Post
    Lee grew up supporting saints played for saints and if you, ve met him you then know what a nice lad he is. I, m glad he,s one of us.
    Involved in the SPF and the local community

Hasn’t forgot his roots, even as a Wolf. once a Saint, ......
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

BUT

Hmmm. We’ve been overly cagey a lot of the time this season but I thought tonight was pretty much a perfect demonstration of wearing an opponent down and cutting loose at just the right moment.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I thought it was a really good performance, good game plan executed really well. The difference between that display tonight and some of our knock out performances in recent years was really pleasing to see IMO.

The Naquima try in the first half summed up what was good for me really.

There was a period after maybe 20/25 minutes where I thought their game plan was starting to take effect and we were starting to lose our way a bit. Last year and certainly the season before last we’d have been forcing it, throwing the ball into touch, running the ball on last plays etc. Tonight we just completed their sets, kicked long, defended well and stayed composed. We’d been playing pretty tight through the forwards up until then, I think Taia had just played the ball near the touchline so Catalan’s defence was really compressed, their centre was really narrow defending in line with the post and they had maybe three defenders covering an entire half of the field. Lomax, Fages and Coote spotted that so we shifted the ball and scored. Real example of patient attack and good decision making that we’ve lacked at times in recent years.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Got A Replica Shirt

phil Clarke summed it up for me last night when he said jake oconner was like our Cameron munster enough said pathetic

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

BUT

What utter tosh describes it perfectly.

Noooobie

Is it me or am I the only one that doesn't agree with Matalan playing sod all this season, waltzing into the semifinals and not even playing good rugby, just playing like thugs? Was Maloney wired to the moon? should have been a red card after mauling Lomax on the floor. The fact they were in the playoffs at all is a joke, just glad we dumped them out of it good style. Awesome display tonight Saints, just need to do same again next week and blow pies off the park

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Logielongfang View Post
    Is it me or am I the only one that doesn't agree with Matalan playing sod all this season, waltzing into the semifinals and not even playing good rugby, just playing like thugs? Was Maloney wired to the moon? should have been a red card after mauling Lomax on the floor. The fact they were in the playoffs at all is a joke, just glad we dumped them out of it good style. Awesome display tonight Saints, just need to do same again next week and blow pies off the park
    Yep.... James Maloney, 2020 recipient of the annual Darren Bloor excellence in tackling award! Utter weapon...

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    Some pretty pathetic comments on here early in the game weren’t there.

Well done Saints, well done Woolf, well done Welsby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hilarious when you read this forum when you know the final score . The way the so-called fans rip the back out of the side after watching 10 mins of the game . Then have the cheek to call themselves supporters .
    Last edited by fonsboy; 21st November 2020 at 07:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I thought it was a really good performance, good game plan executed really well. The difference between that display tonight and some of our knock out performances in recent years was really pleasing to see IMO.

The Naquima try in the first half summed up what was good for me really.

There was a period after maybe 20/25 minutes where I thought their game plan was starting to take effect and we were starting to lose our way a bit. Last year and certainly the season before last we’d have been forcing it, throwing the ball into touch, running the ball on last plays etc. Tonight we just completed their sets, kicked long, defended well and stayed composed. We’d been playing pretty tight through the forwards up until then, I think Taia had just played the ball near the touchline so Catalan’s defence was really compressed, their centre was really narrow defending in line with the post and they had maybe three defenders covering an entire half of the field. Lomax, Fages and Coote spotted that so we shifted the ball and scored. Real example of patient attack and good decision making that we’ve lacked at times in recent years.
    Turned up with a plan.

Executed it brilliantly. Defence in particular superb.

When we do shift it wide (which we did with intelligence & fast hands), we ran riot down Naiqama's side).

Thought Roby was terrific. Ball of energy & they couldn't deal with him with no McIlorum

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Involved in the SPF and the local community

Hasn’t forgot his roots, even as a Wolf. once a Saint, ......
    In the period between Kyle Eastmond leaving and Luke Walsh arriving we had at least 2 full seasons (3 if you count Kyle's non event of his last season) without a proper number 6 or 7. I'd have loved at the time Briers to have had his last couple of seasons with us he'd have found that difficult to turn down I reckon.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

It was a good performance. We did well not to get suckered into the dirty stuff. We were pretty conservative in the opening 15 just feeling our way into the game but once we got through the gears we played some good stuff. Plenty ball movement, blind side plays, shifting play back blind side. Defence was awesome too!!

Should be a good grand final.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by saint mac View Post
    What utter tosh describes it perfectly.
    Seconded.

Great game plan and execution for this game.

Woolf warming to the task

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by WidnesExile View Post
    But that's a factual statement 1 & 2 in the final but he didn't mention our performance on the night.
    I understand what your saying but it's not factual. Does the best team always finish top? Leeds previously winning G-Fs from 5th?.. Wigan finishing top this season?..
    I'm confused.
    And McBanana did give due credit to us.

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    Yeah we look shit hot.
    Rev . do us all a favor & stick to what you know best ie: serving the Lord God .

Quote Originally Posted by WidnesExile View Post
    What disappoints is McBanana didn't once say Saints' played well the miserable &£#@
    You must have missed it he said Saints were the best team in the competition .

Learning All The Songs

Well done to all our lads. The Kev try we scored at an important time that from two kicks could be classed as fortunate but our deep kicking game was very good, defense brutal and we gave it back. Good to see Johnny take matters in his own hands as Maloney played thugby as bad as any player has this year against us. I hope the disciplinary decides not to pursue anything though as Knowles and Bentley rightly sailed close to the wind, which was good to see just hope they don`t get cited.