Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Catalans

We can win Friday but it will be very, very tough.

French is a worry for me. Capable of winning the game in a flash. Farrell is another one who can come up with something. Seems to make a lot of breaks.

Be an interesting battle between Roby & Powell. With McIlorum not playing Friday, they couldn't marshall Roby & he caused problems around the play the ball. I think Wigan will be well versed in trying to nullify him. He's vital for our quick go-forward

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

French is a worry for me. Capable of winning the game in a flash. Farrell is another one who can come up with something. Seems to make a lot of breaks.

Be an interesting battle between Roby & Powell. With McIlorum not playing Friday, they couldn't marshall Roby & he caused problems around the play the ball. I think Wigan will be well versed in trying to nullify him. He's vital for our quick go-forward
    There's not a huge difference between the sides, but Walmsley is the key player and difference maker. If he is fit and ready to go on Friday I fancy us. The worry is what shape his knee is in. I get the feeling it's worse than what they're letting on. He'll play on Friday but it's a risk and Wigan will no doubt target him and test his knee out in a sneaky way.

I think Graham and LMS will be OK too and we'll pick the same team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I don’t think it was a matter of tactics. If you’re going to drop deft kicks onto your centre you need territory and time. We didn’t give them any of either.
    We defended magnificently, but they did get a few kicks away, mainly toward Makinson.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

What we can guarantee is that we will get slower ball at the ruck and the likes of Bullock and Singleton will niggle and sledge at every opportunity. Last time out there was a shift in momentum when Greenwood came on and he bent our defence line and got offloads away. We need to hit these players hard and I would to see our players pile in when Singleton dishes out the thugby, we don't turn the other cheek next week but match them with controlled aggression.

I'm hoping Woolf has noticed how the Goons load up one side with more players when defending in that situation hopefully we will get quite a few more switch plays to increase our attacking shapes. I also thought we had too much of a flat attack as well against the goons, with their line speed we had no time for second phase for Coote.

Its wishful thinking but I'm expecting Graham, Tai and Peyroux to have big games, but for me the key to success is getting Fages to play as a "scrum half" similar or better than the game versus the Catalans.

Games aren’t won on paper, but how many of theirs would get a run for us? I think I counted 3 and that’s with Percival missing. We should be winning, end of

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    There's not a huge difference between the sides, but Walmsley is the key player and difference maker. If he is fit and ready to go on Friday I fancy us. The worry is what shape his knee is in. I get the feeling it's worse than what they're letting on. He'll play on Friday but it's a risk and Wigan will no doubt target him and test his knee out in a sneaky way.

I think Graham and LMS will be OK too and we'll pick the same team.
    It did seem he was struggling with it. He would do another stint and then he would need more treatment.

It is a worry

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Games aren’t won on paper, but how many of theirs would get a run for us? I think I counted 3 and that’s with Percival missing. We should be winning, end of

Maybe. To me they are a much better side than last season though.

But if we can throw out a similar performance as to Friday, we will be in with a shout

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    What we can guarantee is that we will get slower ball at the ruck and the likes of Bullock and Singleton will niggle and sledge at every opportunity. Last time out there was a shift in momentum when Greenwood came on and he bent our defence line and got offloads away. We need to hit these players hard and I would to see our players pile in when Singleton dishes out the thugby, we don't turn the other cheek next week but match them with controlled aggression.

I'm hoping Woolf has noticed how the Goons load up one side with more players when defending in that situation hopefully we will get quite a few more switch plays to increase our attacking shapes. I also thought we had too much of a flat attack as well against the goons, with their line speed we had no time for second phase for Coote.

Its wishful thinking but I'm expecting Graham, Tai and Peyroux to have big games, but for me the key to success is getting Fages to play as a "scrum half" similar or better than the game versus the Catalans.
    Agree on the Fages point, but I think this comes from the pack getting on top. It didn't happen last time we played Wigan and as a result the halves were anonymous. We need to get a roll on up front and that will allow Roby, Coote, Lomax and Fages the time to play how we want to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

I reckon if our forwards get on top so that we’re kicking on the front foot i think we’ll give French a nightmare. A few high ball challenges and heavy tackles and he won’t want to know. But our forwards need to stick it to them to get the job done.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Much better this half, Coote outstanding as usual. The problem isn’t so much that we’re boring, it’s that we’re generally clueless in the opposition 10. This half has been great though.
    Did you see Roby telling Coote , lomax come from our right to left , clicking his fingers over his head , Tia got smashed Coote in for his try , we have used that move a couple of times this season , one of the pies will have to slide across , or will they .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Noooobie

Which 3 would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by KingRoss11 View Post
    Which 3 would that be?
    Gildart with us having no Percival, Farrell and Bullock and perhaps another forward for the bench. I’ll be generous and say 4

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Gildart with us having no Percival, Farrell and Bullock and perhaps another forward for the bench. I’ll be generous and say 4
    Hastings over Fages any day of the week.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Hastings over Fages any day of the week.
    True, I’d gone position for position but see your point. That said I’m not exactly sure what Hastings does to warrant the fuss

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by KingRoss11 View Post
    Which 3 would that be?

Kendall,Hicks and Childs.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    The only thing you can guarantee about a big game involving wigan is that it will be refereed to suite them unless they got too far eg Ben Flowerpot and even then they will usually only be a yellow.
    Spot on.

Learning All The Songs

I think we go in as second favourites, but that doesn't really bother me

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    Bookies can't really call it at the moment, both around 10/11

May find Saints with two start if you're lucky, others giving similar start to Wigan

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    They've won the league and schooled us in the process according to their fans. French will be given the MOS. They should be favourites. Happy for wigan to go in with that tag. Winning the title as underdogs will be fine with me.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Starting A Programme Collection

Last time out they caught us by surprise with the type of game we actually played against Cats. Bring that game to the GF and hit them hard. Our backs will take care of the scoreboard.

Learning All The Songs

I’d go with Smith on the bench against Wigan and drop Peyroux.

Learning All The Songs

Problem with the last wigan game was (without AW) we did not make any yards up the middle. Hopefully AW will be fit and the rest of our lads can play off the back of him. If he is not fully fit we will need to get a bit more creative with our play rather than carting it up the middle.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgowsaint View Post
    Problem with the last wigan game was (without AW) we did not make any yards up the middle. Hopefully AW will be fit and the rest of our lads can play off the back of him. If he is not fully fit we will need to get a bit more creative with our play rather than carting it up the middle.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
    When Fages makes more metres than six of your forwards, you're struggling, especially without Percival too..

We are so much better with Walmsley on the field

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by knowsleyroaders View Post
    Kendall,Hicks and Childs.
    Has Kendall officiated in Wigans last six games? That's deplorable if it's the case. He can't possibly be given the GF on grounds of familiarity, surely? No wonder he's on first name terms with them all, probably shares the same dressing room!

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Has Kendall officiated in Wigans last six games? That's deplorable if it's the case. He can't possibly be given the GF on grounds of familiarity, surely? No wonder he's on first name terms with them all, probably shares the same dressing room!
    Who do you want to referee it?