Jungle Out There Banner
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 350

Thread: 21 man squad v Catalans

  1. #1
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ashton
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10,011
    Rep Power
    26

    Default 21 man squad v Catalans

    https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/11/1...l-squad-named/

    1. Lachlan Coote, 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Kevin Naiqama, 5. Regan Grace, 6. Jonny Lomax, 7. Theo Fages, 8. Alex Walmsley, 9. James Roby, 11. Zeb Taia, 12, Dom Peyroux, 13. LMS, 14. Morgan Knowles, 15. Matty Lees, 16. Kyle Amor, 19, Aaron Smith, 20. James Bentley, 22. Jack Welsby, 23. Joe Batchelor, 26, Josh Simm, 27, Lewis Dodd, 32. James Graham.

    IN: Walmsley, Batchelor, Smith
    OUT: Wingfield, Eaves, Paulo
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

  2. #2
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ashton
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10,011
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    I think 15 of the 17 pick themselves and there are two decisions to be made:

    1. Simm or Welsby at centre. I would pick Simm but I think he will go Welsby.
    2. Peyroux/Smith/Batchelor/Dodd on the bench. I would go for Peyroux and I have a feeling Woolf will as well.

    Personally I would like:

    Coote
    Makins
    Naiqama
    Simm
    Grace
    Lomax
    Fages
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Graham
    Bentley
    Taia
    knowles

    LMS
    Amor
    Lees
    Peyroux
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

  3. #3
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,486
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I think 15 of the 17 pick themselves and there are two decisions to be made:

    1. Simm or Welsby at centre. I would pick Simm but I think he will go Welsby.
    2. Peyroux/Smith/Batchelor/Dodd on the bench. I would go for Peyroux and I have a feeling Woolf will as well.

    Personally I would like:

    Coote
    Makins
    Naiqama
    Simm
    Grace
    Lomax
    Fages
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Graham
    Bentley
    Taia
    knowles

    LMS
    Amor
    Lees
    Peyroux
    I think you are right about Welsby. I would prefer Simm also wouldn't mind seeing Dodd get a game to give us a kicking option. If he did go that way then I think we would need Fages on the bench for cover, with only 3 forward subs.

  4. #4
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ashton
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10,011
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think you are right about Welsby. I would prefer Simm also wouldn't mind seeing Dodd get a game to give us a kicking option. If he did go that way then I think we would need Fages on the bench for cover, with only 3 forward subs.
    I think Dodd would have played more already if he was going to be considered for a game like this. Barring any injuries I think he will have to bide his time for next season now when hopefully he will really be pushing Fages for a starting shirt.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

  5. #5
    Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,223
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I think 15 of the 17 pick themselves and there are two decisions to be made:

    1. Simm or Welsby at centre. I would pick Simm but I think he will go Welsby.
    2. Peyroux/Smith/Batchelor/Dodd on the bench. I would go for Peyroux and I have a feeling Woolf will as well.

    Personally I would like:

    Coote
    Makins
    Naiqama
    Simm
    Grace
    Lomax
    Fages
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Graham
    Bentley
    Taia
    knowles

    LMS
    Amor
    Lees
    Peyroux
    I think this is more or less what I'd be expecting. Although I'd like to see Graham coming off the bench, we dip too much when we take off both Walmsley and Graham.

  6. #6
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    4,918
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/11/1...l-squad-named/

    1. Lachlan Coote, 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Kevin Naiqama, 5. Regan Grace, 6. Jonny Lomax, 7. Theo Fages, 8. Alex Walmsley, 9. James Roby, 11. Zeb Taia, 12, Dom Peyroux, 13. LMS, 14. Morgan Knowles, 15. Matty Lees, 16. Kyle Amor, 19, Aaron Smith, 20. James Bentley, 22. Jack Welsby, 23. Joe Batchelor, 26, Josh Simm, 27, Lewis Dodd, 32. James Graham.

    IN: Walmsley, Batchelor, Smith
    OUT: Wingfield, Eaves, Paulo
    I think he will go with Simm for this one, he's played well against experienced opposition centres lately. Bench probably Amor, Lees, LMS and Peyroux. Woolf mentioned yesterday that Walmsley is in pretty good shape with the extra rest.

  7. #7
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Based on their last team and this squad Catalan looking at:

    Tomkins
    Davies
    Folau
    Langi
    Mead
    Maloney
    Drinkwater
    Bousquet
    Da Costa
    Casty
    Garcia
    Whitley
    Batieri

    Moa
    Seguier
    Kasiano
    Julien/Simon

  8. #8
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,360
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think you are right about Welsby. I would prefer Simm also wouldn't mind seeing Dodd get a game to give us a kicking option. If he did go that way then I think we would need Fages on the bench for cover, with only 3 forward subs.
    Snowball’s chance in hell of that happening. I’d go Simm over Welsby at centre. With Walmsley and Graham starting I’d rather go with 2 props on the bench plus Smith and Peyroux so a toss up between Amor/LMS plus Lees but I wouldn’t be surprised to see all 3 on the bench.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  9. #9
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,360
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesSL View Post
    Based on their last team and this squad Catalan looking at:

    Tomkins
    Davies
    Folau
    Langi
    Mead
    Maloney
    Drinkwater
    Bousquet
    Da Costa
    Garcia
    Whitley
    Batieri

    Moa
    Seguier
    Kasiano
    Julien/Simon
    Assuming they’ll get a man sent off so just going with 12 men?
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  10. #10
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    haha that must've been it! Edited now.

  11. #11
    In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,137
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Not that it would happen and just another possibility but I feel Peyroux has been missed/under utilised this year and one way to bring him in would be putting Bentley at centre where he has played well for us before.

    Coote
    Makinson
    Naiqama
    Bentley
    Grace
    Lomax
    Fages
    Graham
    Roby
    Walmsley
    Taia
    Peyroux
    Knowles

    LMS, Lees, Amor, Smith

  12. #12
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7,923
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    I'd go with the same team as YG.

    Simm the more natural Centre and a big pack in what's likely to be wet conditions. Roby will play 80 minutes so no real need for Smith on the bench I don't think, and can always shift Knowles or Bentley there if needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

  13. #13
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,486
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesSL View Post
    Based on their last team and this squad Catalan looking at:

    Tomkins
    Davies
    Folau
    Langi
    Mead
    Maloney
    Drinkwater
    Bousquet
    Da Costa
    Casty
    Garcia
    Whitley
    Batieri

    Moa
    Seguier
    Kasiano
    Julien/Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Assuming they’ll get a man sent off so just going with 12 men?
    Missing Casty. I wouldn't mind if does miss, he is a non stop worker.

  14. #14
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,486
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Snowball’s chance in hell of that happening. I’d go Simm over Welsby at centre. With Walmsley and Graham starting I’d rather go with 2 props on the bench plus Smith and Peyroux so a toss up between Amor/LMS plus Lees but I wouldn’t be surprised to see all 3 on the bench.
    Yeh I know it was wishful thinking. I fully expect him to with YG's prediction with Welsby at centre. While I would go with Simm over Welsby one of Welsby's better games was at centre.

  15. #15
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,360
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Not that it would happen and just another possibility but I feel Peyroux has been missed/under utilised this year and one way to bring him in would be putting Bentley at centre where he has played well for us before.

    Coote
    Makinson
    Naiqama
    Bentley
    Grace
    Lomax
    Fages
    Graham
    Roby
    Walmsley
    Taia
    Peyroux
    Knowles

    LMS, Lees, Amor, Smith
    Given Woolf can be cautious and the threat of Folau I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go with Bentley at left centre. I hope not though as it leaves us a bit vulnerable defensively with Peyroux and Naiqama on the right. Langi and Mead on Catalan’s left are a dangerous combo and we don’t want to leave space for Tomkins to drop in so arguably the more important defensive combinations for this game are between the 2nd row and centre than between the centre and winger.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  16. #16
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    368
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    centre position and bench are the only spots up for debate, I hope we play with a bit if width like we did when we hammered them post lock down and Salford did a similar number on them a few games back

    Tomkins and folau can be a real menace with ball in hand, will need to get into them early doors

  17. #17
    Moderator Div's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sintellins
    Posts
    11,336
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Majority picks itself.
    I'm in the Simm camp also. Dom on the bench for me.

  18. #18
    Learning All The Songs Noel Cleal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,359
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Batchelor and Dodd are the obvious ones to drop out.

    Then one of Simm or Welsby, Simm is generally an unknown but that could work for or against us.

    That then leaves Smith or Peyroux on the bench. I guess it depends if Woolf wants to rest Roby. I think Smith would add more but if he doesn't want to take off Roby that is a mute point.

    One suggestion I have heard (not my idea) is that we could go with Bentley at Centre and start Peyroux at second row. I think we would be in trouble if we did this and got an injured back. Maybe we could have Simm on the bench then swap Bentley into the pack after 30 mins?
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

  19. #19
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,276
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Wasn't it Bentley who went to centre after Percival got injured in the cup semi then was all over the place positionally when we conceded back to back?

    Square pegs for square holes for me. Play a centre at centre, second row at second row.

  20. #20
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    573
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Not that it would happen and just another possibility but I feel Peyroux has been missed/under utilised this year and one way to bring him in would be putting Bentley at centre where he has played well for us before.

    Coote
    Makinson
    Naiqama
    Bentley
    Grace
    Lomax
    Fages
    Graham
    Roby
    Walmsley
    Taia
    Peyroux
    Knowles

    LMS, Lees, Amor, Smith
    I can't actually remember seeing Bentley pass the ball but I don't suppose that really matters in a way.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    573
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Yeh I know it was wishful thinking. I fully expect him to with YG's prediction with Welsby at centre. While I would go with Simm over Welsby one of Welsby's better games was at centre.
    To counter what seems like an eternal comment of him having a good game at centre, he's played a few times at centre and I think I've been in position more times than he has. He's no pace or elusivity either.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    4,918
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    I can't actually remember seeing Bentley pass the ball but I don't suppose that really matters in a way.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thats one of Bentley's biggest weaknesses at the moment he is a grafter, great work rate, support player but likes to wrestle when he has the ball, by the time he plays the ball the opposition defence is set. That needs sorting during pre season.

  23. #23
    In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,493
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Coote
    Makinson Naquima Simm Grace
    Fages Lomax
    Walmsley Roby Graham
    Bentley Taia
    Knowles

    Peyroux LMS Amor Lees

    Out of the options we’ve got available at left centre, Simm is the biggest threat carrying the ball IMO and we’ll need that. We really struggled to get any momentum or any ruck speed against Wigan and hopefully his speed and footwork will help us in that regard.

    Also think that if we’ve got a bench of LMS, Amor and Lees, Peyroux’s energy and leg speed will give us something about different through the middle so he needs to play for me. If Simm is really struggling with Folau then we’ve got the option of moving either him or Bentley into the centres if we have to.

    I think Woolf will be considering using Graham off the bench as well. The difference between Walmsley being on the field and off the field this year has obviously been alarming (particularly recently) and Graham’s experience might help reduce that if we bring him on later in the half.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

  24. #24
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,486
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    To counter what seems like an eternal comment of him having a good game at centre, he's played a few times at centre and I think I've been in position more times than he has. He's no pace or elusivity either.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You are probably right saying A good game at centre. It's just the only time I remember him playing well, though I think he did get a couple of tries on the right wing.

  25. #25
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,486
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    I can't actually remember seeing Bentley pass the ball but I don't suppose that really matters in a way.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    He played a lot of centre at Bradford. For me he has very little in attack, doesn't often break the line and doesn't pass, but defensively he is a machine. Hopefully they will develop the attack side during pre season.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •