Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Catalans

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Can anyone think of a time where we have got it really wrong with a junior product? As in, have we let anyone go prematurely who has gone on to have a great career anywhere else? Or has anyone stayed at Saints stinking the place out for years and years purely because they are "one of our own?" I can't think of any off the top of my head.

My point is I trust our system completely in terms of helping youngsters reach their potential and set them up for long, successful careers. I also trust them in terms of recognising when someone isn't quite going to cut it. Furthermore I also understand that young players sometimes get shifted around to give them experience before settling on a position. I remember Wellens playing at centre, half back and hooker and Roby being on the wing. These things happen.

Fair enough if some people don't rate Welsby all that much. But let's not let the debate turn into the club's record with junior players being questioned because that is just plain stupid.
    Last edited by The Yellow Giraffe; 19th November 2020 at 11:54.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Can anyone think of a time where we have got it really wrong with a junior product? As in, have we let anyone go prematurely who has gone on to have a great career anywhere else? Or has anyone stayed at Saints stinking the place out for years and years purely because they are "one of our own?" I can't think of any off the top of my head.

My point is I trust our system completely in terms of helping youngsters reach their potential and set them up for long, successful careers. I also trust them in terms of recognising when someone isn't quite going to cut it. Furthermore I also understand that young players sometimes get shifted around to give them experience before settling on a position. I remember Wellens playing at centre, half back and hooker and Roby being on the wing. These things happen.

Fair enough if some people don't rate Welsby all that much. But let's not the debate turn into the club's record with junior players being questioned because that is just plain stupid.
    Agreed. The one example that springs to mind is Lee Briers, who could have had a very good career at Saints, but it was a perfectly reasonable decision at the time given that we had a pretty young half back pairing of Goulding and Martyn. And if Briers had stuck around we never would have got Long.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by theres only one stan wall View Post
    Why our people making cases for the likes of Taia, Peyroux or even Batchelor at left centre? Taia is too slow, lateral movement in defence nowhere near good enough for that position, Peyroux jumps out the line and lacks discipline to play there & as for Batchelor...wow. The day we start worrying about Catalan is the day to pack in.

We won’t and shouldn’t start making wholesale changes worrying about the opposition. Bentley has been up there with Walmsley this year on the left edge and deserves that shirt. It’s a straight shoot out between Welsby & Simm. I prefer Simm, strong classy ball carrier and more of a classic centre than Welsby. I’ve watched Welsby for a couple of seasons now and I’ve no idea what his best position is. That said, can’t see the rush. He’s developing nicely like many others.
    Im Making a case for Peyroux based on his experience ,consistency,ability to tackle and also to make hard yards when necessary.We keep Folau quiet and we go a long way to winning the game.Peyroux for me can do that.His height under the high ball could also be a contributing factor.Now what have you seen in Welsby and Simm that is an improvement on that???

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I'm hoping Simm gets the left centre spot and hope he has a good game, I have immediately just had a pre emptive thought though, if he has a bad game whose fault is it going to be.........Woolf or Welsby !!!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saintnickle View Post
    Im Making a case for Peyroux based on his experience ,consistency,ability to tackle and also to make hard yards when necessary.We keep Folau quiet and we go a long way to winning the game.Peyroux for me can do that.His height under the high ball could also be a contributing factor.Now what have you seen in Welsby and Simm that is an improvement on that???
    Well I’ve seen Simm and Welsby play left centre, score tries, look fairly solid defensively and take the occasional high ball. Peyroux has always played on the right side so is used to defending in a different stance for a start. He’s also only 2cm taller than Simm and 3cm shorter than Welsby so height under the high ball doesn’t stand up let alone the fact that he’s never actually taken any high balls before. Simm has regularly topped 100m with a lot of that being the ‘hard yards’ as well as producing tackle busts, line breaks and scoring tries. Peyroux played 18 games at right centre in 2016 (the last time he played centre for us) and scored 0 tries.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Starting A Programme Collection

My concern is that we will get bullied out of it as per the pie game.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I'm hoping Simm gets the left centre spot and hope he has a good game, I have immediately just had a pre emptive thought though, if he has a bad game whose fault is it going to be.........Woolf or Welsby !!!
    I hope gets it too. I have said before if he gets it and makes mistakes, so be it. At least we will have a centre playing centre.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I hope gets it too. I have said before if he gets it and makes mistakes, so be it. At least we will have a centre playing centre.
    Welsby at centre! As expected but not necessarily preferred!

Got A Season Ticket

Lachlan Coote
    Tommy Makinson
    Kevin Naiqama
    Jack Welsby
    Regan Grace
    Jonny Lomax
    Theo Fages
    Alex Walmsley
    James Roby
    James Graham
    Zeb Taia
    James Bentley
    Morgan Knowles

Dominique Peyroux
    Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook
    Matty Lees
    Kyle Amor

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Agreed. The one example that springs to mind is Lee Briers, who could have had a very good career at Saints, but it was a perfectly reasonable decision at the time given that we had a pretty young half back pairing of Goulding and Martyn. And if Briers had stuck around we never would have got Long.
    That was the players choice which is a bit different.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    That was the players choice which is a bit different.
    Maloney really taking the p*#s walking off so slowly

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Maloney really taking the p*#s walking off so slowly
    Hes such a good player with the ball but an absolute liability without it. We just need to run at him all night

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Why would you go for two there?

In The South Stand

Wouldn’t have taken that goal, lose a minute vs twelve, we’re due to rotate too.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Starting A Programme Collection

Bentley seems to be doing a good job, rattling a few cages.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

That ••••es me off, Fages had Maloney’s legs there Taia could have absolutely belted him, legally.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

After that set I can see why we did take 2, awful with the ball.

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    After that set I can see why we did take 2, awful with the ball.
    This has Cunningham stamped all over it. It’s ••••ing awful. We were up in arms about this shit, why not now?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

God Catalans are a sh***y spoiling team. If this score blows out in our favour you can bet they will try to get us fighting just to get a couple of ours in front of the judiciary.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    God Catalans are a sh***y spoiling team. If this score blows out in our favour you can bet they will try to get us fighting just to get a couple of ours in front of the judiciary.
    At least if we’re up for fighting you could feel some passion.

Learning All The Songs

Theo Fages is never a scrum half, utter rubbish and Matty Lees shouldn’t be in this team he’s been terrible for the past two years.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    This has Cunningham stamped all over it. It’s ••••ing awful. We were up in arms about this shit, why not now?
    Because Cunningham wasn't winning ? Or it may be his post match comments. What exactly are you expecting from playoff rugby though ?

Two front rowers down. This is going to be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    Because there is almost no similarity.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Because Cunningham wasn't winning ? Or it may be his post match comments. What exactly are you expecting from playoff rugby though ?
    Did you not watch the Wigan semi last year? We absolutely thumped them and played some good stuff. This is absolutely terrible.