Jungle Out There Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: Man of Steel Awards

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,465
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Man of Steel Awards

    To be broadcast live on Sky Sports on Monday 23rd November at 7pm. Five nominees for Man of Steel this year:
    Aidan Sezer
    Lachlan Coote
    Bevan French
    Liam Farrell
    Paul McShane

    https://www.superleague.co.uk/articl...LfOlt7pwVVYtKM
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  2. #2
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,089
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Any award for player of the year that doesn't have Alex Walmsley on a shortlist isn't worth paying any attention to.

  3. #3
    Learning All The Songs Nickles Forearm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    St Helens
    Posts
    2,032
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Liam Farrell... dear me

  4. #4
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,089
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Liam Farrell... dear me
    Very underrated player IMO - was magnificent against us the other week.

  5. #5
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St Helens , Lancashire.
    Posts
    1,365
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    Very underrated player IMO - was magnificent against us the other week.
    Agreed, he turns up most games.

  6. #6
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    573
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    Very underrated player IMO - was magnificent against us the other week.
    Been a belting asset to them over the years


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    WARNING! PIE EATER!

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,506
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    Very underrated player IMO - was magnificent against us the other week.
    Correct
    He's been superb this season

    Farrell, 3rd for most tackles, 2nd for metres made, 4th for tackle busts, 4th for clean breaks, 2nd for number of carries and 5th for marker tackles.

    I would have had Walmsley in the five and also Sam Powell who for me has been Wigans player of the season.

  8. #8
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    The Heath
    Posts
    242
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    I cant understand how McShane and Farrell have made their way onto this list. Good to see Coote getting some recognition, but no Walmsley is just a joke.

  9. #9
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,465
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Les View Post
    I cant understand how McShane and Farrell have made their way onto this list. Good to see Coote getting some recognition, but no Walmsley is just a joke.
    Because its based on the weekly man of steel points total. McShane stands out in a shit side so often picks up the maximum 3 points. Its a stupid system.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  10. #10
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    668
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I thought that when I saw his name couldn’t go much lower.

  11. #11
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3,672
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mr chips View Post
    I thought that when I saw his name couldn’t go much lower.
    I don't think any of them are that tall.

  12. #12
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Rainhill
    Age
    72
    Posts
    2,102
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    Any award for player of the year that doesn't have Alex Walmsley on a shortlist isn't worth paying any attention to.
    Shocking list. Best forward by a long way.
    The only one I could vote for apart from Coote is McShane and he is a bit of a grub at times.

  13. #13
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    573
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    I'm assuming that these are the 5 top points scorers from the weekly matches? Strange then that French & Farrell are up there having split the vote. Assuming Sezer wins it as he'll have scored top points repeatedly.

    Have I got the process correct?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    573
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    I'm assuming that these are the 5 top points scorers from the weekly matches? Strange then that French & Farrell are up there having split the vote. Assuming Sezer wins it as he'll have scored top points repeatedly.

    Have I got the process correct?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    By my observation then Coote must have scored more weekly points than Walmsley which I find surprising given his changed role from last year.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Learning All The Songs Nickles Forearm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    St Helens
    Posts
    2,032
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    By my observation then Coote must have scored more weekly points than Walmsley which I find surprising given his changed role from last year.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He has, I think Walmsley was close to the 5, likewise Sam Tomkins also. Aidan Sezer is top and undoubtably the favourite

  16. #16
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,465
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    By my observation then Coote must have scored more weekly points than Walmsley which I find surprising given his changed role from last year.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Coote missed a couple at the start of the season when we were terrible though and its on points per game played.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  17. #17
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    573
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Coote missed a couple at the start of the season when we were terrible though and its on points per game played.
    Ah I see, still strange AlexW not our top point scorer by any measure.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,651
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Coote missed a couple at the start of the season when we were terrible though and it’s on points per game played.
    Am I misunderstanding? If it's on points per game played, and someone played one game and got 3 points, then they would have averaged 3 points per game? Why would not playing games affect Coote. If it was total points over the season missing a couple could affect him. Though I admit I do not really know how the system works.

  19. #19
    In The West Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,465
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Am I misunderstanding? If it's on points per game played, and someone played one game and got 3 points, then they would have averaged 3 points per game? Why would not playing games affect Coote. If it was total points over the season missing a couple could affect him. Though I admit I do not really know how the system works.
    My mistake about Coote. If you miss a game it doesnt matter, the points you earn are divided by the number of games your team has played.

    The revised scoring system is calculated by dividing the number of points attained by the player by the number of games played by that players team.

    Man of Steel points picked up by players against Toronto Wolfpack have been removed.

    In line with the changes made to the league table, teams must play a minimum of 15 games for a player from that team to be considered.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  20. #20
    Starting A Programme Collection St Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Newton Le Willows
    Posts
    931
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    I think French will take it with Coote and Sezer close behind. Coote is the better all round fullback but French's attacking play is lethal and gets noticed more. Farrell's work goes unnoticed alot of the time bit not MOS for me. It's laughable that McShane is not there and Walmsley isn't. Struggle to see what McShane's done this season. Tompkins can count himself unlucky. Been great this season for Catalans, just hopefully not friday

    Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (15) - 193132, 195253, 195859, 196566, 196970, 197071, 197475, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020

    Challenge Cup (12) - 195556, 196061, 196566, 197172, 197576, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008

    World Club Challenge (2) - 2001, 2007

    League Leader's Shield (8) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019 (16 points clear of second placed Wigan, the biggest winning margin in 124 years)

  21. #21
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    573
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Is the decision already made based on the points accrued in the season matches (plus the GF run in) or do they revert to some other way of selecting the winner from the final nominees?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Maghull
    Posts
    1,143
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Unlike a lot of Saints fans, I rate Farrell very highly. I'm always worried when I see him with the ball. He runs hard and passes well. I'm very surprised Alex isn't there, but then that's the way the selections have been made

  23. #23
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,700
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    Is the decision already made based on the points accrued in the season matches (plus the GF run in) or do they revert to some other way of selecting the winner from the final nominees?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    It usually goes back to the MOS panel of experts to choose the winner from the shortlist.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

  24. #24
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    10,052
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    The same experts who don’t seem to think Walmsleys worth a nomination??
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

  25. #25
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,742
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    The same experts who don’t seem to think Walmsleys worth a nomination??
    I hadn't paid any attention to this so I looked at who the panel were, expecting it to be a load of nobodies who reside in certain West Yorkshire postcodes, but it's quite a formidable group actually. Sculthorpe, Hanley, Davies, Robinson, Reilly, Betts, Schofield, Joynt, Morley, Peacock etc. And... cough cough... Clarke, Baz and Tez!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •