Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Saints Vs Catalan Semi Final

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Taking YG's figures from above we are comparing 29 games to 18. So for me Lomax going from 16 to Zero is still staggering.
    Has there ever been a situation in the history of the Saints when our Stand Off has scored no tries? I'd join you in calling it staggering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    I’m not sure you are.
    Nice to see you haven't lost your sense of hunour mate. Fair play to you.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by EddieVonEagle View Post
    Yeh you're right, I've thought the same tbh.

Wigan's pack made something like 24m more than ours in total (which may surprise some people how similar the numbers are), largely down to Farrell having a stormer and making a whopping 166m. Clubb - 15m from 3, singleton - 33m from 9 (awful), Powell - something like 25m. Our pack definitely spread the work load more and would've easily made more metres if we didn't keep turning the ball over/making mistakes, all without big Al. For me that was the difference.

And it may surprise a few as well that Graham was our top metre making forward, gaining twice as many metres as any other prop for us (88 from 12).

I know stats aren't everything, but they can be quite surprising and give another perspective.

Personally I think half of wigans pack are absolute dossers, it was evens without Al the other week, with Al I'm confident it'll be a different story.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    It has Kyle at 40 from 7, Matty at 44 from 9 (11 more than the awful Singleton) Louie 45 from 7 (5 more than Kyle).
    It may surprise a few that the best average gain by a St. Helens forward the only one over 9m per carry the man most are glad is going Joseph Paulo 37 from 4.
    Last edited by Tallaght Tiger; 18th November 2020 at 19:49.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    Has there ever been a situation in the history of the Saints when our Stand Off has scored no tries? I'd join you in calling it staggering.

Maybe not but to be fair to the lad he’s had 2 chalked off (Toronto) and scored 1 in the cup (Warrington) but still quite the drop off even considering the fewer games. However when was the last time a saints player topped the assists chart?

Quote Originally Posted by Benyon View Post
    Maybe not but to be fair to the lad he’s had 2 chalked off (Toronto) and scored 1 in the cup (Warrington) but still quite the drop off even considering the fewer games. However when was the last time a saints player topped the assists chart?
    No idea as I don't have any access to stats, current or historic. I suppose my question was more of a statement but it's still uncomfortable reading I'd suggest. If this situation applied to any of our rivals no doubt it would be a cause of great amusement. We cant defend it, it's atrocious. For the record I'm not saying Lomax is a poor player, I'm pointing out the situation that exists that has enabled it to happen.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    No idea as I don't have any access to stats, current or historic. I suppose my question was more of a statement but it's still uncomfortable reading I'd suggest. If this situation applied to any of our rivals no doubt it would be a cause of great amusement. We cant defend it, it's atrocious. For the record I'm not saying Lomax is a poor player, I'm pointing out the situation that exists that has enabled it to happen.

I actually think Lomax is a very good player, that is not being allowed to play his natural game. He is being closely maked by opposition because they know how good he is. The ball to him is limited and when he gets it it is coming so slow that he doesn't have chance to do much before he is surrounded by defenders. Of course refs giving some teams 2-3 mtrs start from the 10 doesn't help him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Percival is a massively important player when it comes to getting us moving forward early in the sets though. He carries the ball like an extra back rower in those exit sets and scatters defenders.

Winning those quick rucks early in the set makes it a lot easier to chuck the ball around later in the set.

As I’ve posted elsewhere, Thompson, Walsmley, Makinson and Percival were the players who really got us out of first gear last year. That’s been reduced to just Walmsley for chunks of this season.
    Percival was our top tackle buster with 137 last season, Walmsley is our top tackle buster with 76 this season. Despite the big difference a lot of Percival busts would probably be more in open play on the edges and more productive, Walmsley's bust's are mostly down the middle in heavy traffic.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I actually think Lomax is a very good player, that is not being allowed to play his natural game. He is being closely maked by opposition because they know how good he is. The ball to him is limited and when he gets it it is coming so slow that he doesn't have chance to do much before he is surrounded by defenders. Of course refs giving some teams 2-3 mtrs start from the 10 doesn't help him.
    Its more easy to shut us down in the pivots this year, they are putting an extra player on Walmsley and Lomax this season. That means there is not as much second phase going to Coote from Lomax, also Fages is very limited this season. So we have 3 pivots not really working at their best and most games we rely on our only other Pivot in Roby.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Its more easy to shut us down in the pivots this year, they are putting an extra player on Walmsley and Lomax this season. That means there is not as much second phase going to Coote from Lomax, also Fages is very limited this season. So we have 3 pivots not really working at their best and most games we rely on our only other Pivot in Roby.
    I don't think too much has changed in what you say as the season has progressed. Same players are doing the same things mostly. Point is what plan has been developed to counter it? If certain players are gang marked it must leave a space somewhere else for us to exploit? Isn't this something we'd expect the coach to work on and develop a plan to counter it?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    They were against Toronto so the records have been removed for that.
    Sorry forgot that

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Percival is a massively important player when it comes to getting us moving forward early in the sets though. He carries the ball like an extra back rower in those exit sets and scatters defenders.

Winning those quick rucks early in the set makes it a lot easier to chuck the ball around later in the set.
    Aye, good points, and I agree with all of that. Whether his return will result in such improvements in the overall style of play though is another matter.