Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Saints Vs Catalan Semi Final

Default Saints Vs Catalan Semi Final

Looking at this objectively, we should win this one.

I think we are better all round than the Dragons but With their first choice hooker and Joel Tomkins likely to be missing we should have a strong advantage.

The only thing I’m slightly worried about is that if it’s a particularly hard (as in big heavy shots getting put in) would be the players being able to back it up with a potential slugfest with Wigan in the final (assuming Wigan beat Hull....)

Thoughts?
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

On the first point I agree we “should” beat them, even at full strength. But without their yard dog in the middle I’d be even more confident, as he’s the type of player who does set the tone for them defensively. His absence would affect them quite a bit. Joel Tomkins I’m not fussed about one way or another, he’s a big pudding.

Catalans always strike me as a group of talented individuals as opposed to a proper “team.” They have some genuinely brilliant players on their day (S Tomkins, Folau and Maloney the main ones) but they’re an inconsistent bunch and I have doubts about their ability to match us for the full 80. Leeds ran them close the other night with their two starting props off the field for more than half the game, so using that as a gauge we should be fine.

On your 2nd point; I think Wigan will have just as tough a game as us really, albeit 24 hours earlier. I tipped Hull to beat Warrington and I think they’ll have a good go at Wigan too. I can see it being tight for an hour with a couple of late Wigan tries seeing them off, but Wigan will know they’ve been in a game.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs

A big factor to take into account could be the weather at this time of year. I would be worried if it is very wet.

I actually think 80 minutes of rough treatment from Catalans will be good prep for a final against Wigan.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I'm expecting a tough first 30 mins similar to our Wigoon game, we should be able to match them, then it will be all down to errors and set completions. Not expecting our 2 weeks rest to be a problem we should be match fit for the 80 mins, Catalans on the other hand have not really played much high intensity games so I expect Saints to find the gaps before half time comes up.

Biggest danger will be Rat Boy so that's a job for Morgan Knowles to hit him hard early in the game and a couple of high bombs with 3 saints players ready to flatten him would be another ideal.

They will throw the kitchen sink at us in the first half an hour. For me, if it’s level or even we’re a couple of points down at that point it’s a tick in the box. Leeds carved through them 4 or 5 times after that and we should be capable of even more.

If we adopt similar one out tactics as against Wigan we are going to be in trouble. We need to move the ball a bit even if it’s for the centres to come back on the inside, get their big lads moving sideways and not being able to line up our forwards one after the other. Keep the ball in play and they’ll be gasping for air. There might be a case for playing Smith off the bench to take advantage of their big lads tiring. There might be a shout for Simm to oppose Falau, I think he’s a stronger defender than Welsby

Leeds played to Catalans' strengths if you ask me.

I think we should try and play it on the fringes of the middle, and use the likes of J-Lo and Fages and get them running on the outside shoulders of some of the big Catalans forwards. Yes they are big, yes they are powerful, but I'm not sure the likes of Kasiano want J-Lo, T Mak, Kev, Simsy (if he plays), turning them and making them change direction.

Make it a forward battle and it will be the wrong tactic in my opinion.

Learning All The Songs

Wolves posters on their prediction thread in the main are going for a Cats win! Wishful thinking with a sauce made from sour grapes!

Banned

I would rather play Catalans than Hull. Hull can do Wigan if their confidence is up but they could just as easily fall out with each other on Wednesday. If we cant beat Catalans at home we dont deserve to be in the final, they humiliated us once and the team should not forget that. LMS and Amor cant afford to be weak off the bench again.

Problem with Hull is that they are as unpredictable and inconsistent as Catalans are! They obviously played well against Wire last week, but knowing Hull, they'll go and get spanked by Wigan on Thursday.

Learning All The Songs

Walmsley is back. Semi and grand final. No problem

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

There'll be a lot of high kicks to Grace's wing especially with Folau on that side.

Whoever is centre on that side will have his work cut out.

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    There'll be a lot of high kicks to Grace's wing especially with Folau on that side.

Whoever is centre on that side will have his work cut out.
    All you can do is pressure the kick and get bodies around him

Banned

It will be interesting who he plays at centre. I think he is stubborn and will stick with Welsby. FWIW it's the wrong choice for me.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    It will be interesting who he plays at centre. I think he is stubborn and will stick with Welsby. FWIW it's the wrong choice for me.
    I agree on both counts.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    In the last game the high ball regularly went to our left & Grace was forced to take the high ball every single time, Welsby didn't take it once from memory and as a result Grace was out of gas, completely stunted then making errors. He needs to pick a centre in the centre to work with Grace especially against Falao. It'll be ridiculous & a travesty if he doesn't, but we know who he seemingly must pick at all costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    They will throw the kitchen sink at us in the first half an hour. For me, if it’s level or even we’re a couple of points down at that point it’s a tick in the box. Leeds carved through them 4 or 5 times after that and we should be capable of even more.

If we adopt similar one out tactics as against Wigan we are going to be in trouble. We need to move the ball a bit even if it’s for the centres to come back on the inside, get their big lads moving sideways and not being able to line up our forwards one after the other. Keep the ball in play and they’ll be gasping for air. There might be a case for playing Smith off the bench to take advantage of their big lads tiring. There might be a shout for Simm to oppose Falau, I think he’s a stronger defender than Welsby
    I would have Peyroux in the centres to nullify Folau.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by saintnickle View Post
    It's not a bad call, stronger defence but I believe less going forwards with Simm preferred (by me)

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    It's not a bad call, stronger defence but I believe less going forwards with Simm preferred (by me)

Same for me I would go with Simm but know that "Wunderkind Welsby" will get the nod .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saintnickle View Post
    Peyroux has the size to compete, but he did miss tackles when he was playing centre. A big call for Woolf this one, who he picks at centre could make or break the season. If he went with Simm and Folau got the better of him then so be it.

I think if Peyroux was going to play centre he would have done already this season. There’s been enough times when we were short and he could have picked him but didn’t. I think it’s between Simm and Welsby and I’m hoping it’s Simm.
    Last edited by Dux; 15th November 2020 at 22:27.

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

Got to be Simm for me he as done nothing wrong in the Games he as played plus he is more of a physical presence than Welsby.

In The South Stand

Peyroux’s defence is actually pretty poor. Playing him centre wouldn’t shore us up, probably the opposite.

In The South Stand

Depends on whether our pack fancies it. Against aggressive forwards, we wilt in big games so it’ll depend on whether the likes of LMS and Amor actually put in a half decent performance against a decent side.

I also worry about them being fresher than us having played four fewer league games.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I also worry about them being fresher than us having played four fewer league games.

However they have just had a bruising game against Leeds, whereas we have had a rest.

I still believe we have too much for them however as seen all season, anyone in this league can beat anyone given the right circumstances and conditions.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.