Jungle Out There Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: The RFL and COVID-19

  1. #1
    Noooobie Euler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Wigan
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default The RFL and COVID-19

    Hi everyone

    I'm trying to conduct some research on fan's views of how the RFL have handled the covid-19 pandemic with reference to the restructuring of the super league season. I would be grateful if anyone could please complete this very short survey

    https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/XL56KSF

    There are only three questions so it should only take around 1 minute to complete! If anyone has any specific comments they'd like to add regarding their handling you can post them here.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Learning All The Songs KentishBarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,993
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Just done it.
    Question 3 would benefit from a 'don't know' option...Because I didn't know the answer to that one.

  3. #3
    Noooobie Euler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Wigan
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Thank you very much!! I've added that now

  4. #4
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,456
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Looks like there may be some light at the end of the tunnel. Both codes of Rugby to benefit.

    https://www.bbc.com/sport/54994155

  5. #5
    In The South Stand saintgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    eccleston
    Posts
    4,343
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Looks like there may be some light at the end of the tunnel. Both codes of Rugby to benefit.

    https://www.bbc.com/sport/54994155
    Owner of Bristol RU on Radio 4 this morning suggesting that the majority of the slice of the £30,000,000 go to RU clubs.

  6. #6
    In The South Stand Jackbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,512
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Owner of Bristol RU on Radio 4 this morning suggesting that the majority of the slice of the £30,000,000 go to RU clubs.
    Government Emergency funding, Rugby Union £135 million (£59 Million of this goes to Premiership Clubs), Rugby League £12 million total!

  7. #7
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    199
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    Government Emergency funding, Rugby Union £135 million (£59 Million of this goes to Premiership Clubs), Rugby League £12 million total!
    Does anyone know the logic for these numbers? Why does Union get so much (>10 times) more?

  8. #8
    In The South Stand Jackbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,512
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintJose View Post
    Does anyone know the logic for these numbers? Why does Union get so much (>10 times) more?
    One is played on the fields of Eton, the other is not ?

  9. #9
    Got A Season Ticket sinkers89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Age
    30
    Posts
    448
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintJose View Post
    Does anyone know the logic for these numbers? Why does Union get so much (>10 times) more?
    Because Rugby Union is a far bigger sport in England than Rugby League.

    Is the long and short of it I feel.

  10. #10
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    St Helens
    Age
    36
    Posts
    7,784
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    RFL have come out and said they are happy with what they've got

    It's also low interest loans rather than a handout for the most part
    Last edited by paulscnthorpe; 19th November 2020 at 14:49.

  11. #11
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    199
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    Because Rugby Union is a far bigger sport in England than Rugby League.

    Is the long and short of it I feel.
    It is and that's why I'm being careful not to criticise these numbers without knowing more. Rugby Union championship clubs getting £9m and the whole of rugby league getting £12m raises questions, that's all. The BBC article specifically says it is to do with sports impacted by the lack of supporters, a quick google search will give you this:

    RU Premiership av attendance 2018/19 - 14,083 - funding £59m
    RU Championship av attendance 2018/19 - 1,713 - funding £9m
    Super League av attendance 2019 - 8,441 - funding £12m

    The RU premiership numbers will be boosted by the hugely successful games they do at Twickenham which tend to be sellouts. They obviously also play over winter, and Dowden talks about helping them through the difficult winter period. Just hope we've punched at the correct weight for the sport and not been short-changed.

  12. #12
    In The South Stand Jackbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,512
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintJose View Post
    It is and that's why I'm being careful not to criticise these numbers without knowing more. Rugby Union championship clubs getting £9m and the whole of rugby league getting £12m raises questions, that's all. The BBC article specifically says it is to do with sports impacted by the lack of supporters, a quick google search will give you this:

    RU Premiership av attendance 2018/19 - 14,083 - funding £59m
    RU Championship av attendance 2018/19 - 1,713 - funding £9m
    Super League av attendance 2019 - 8,441 - funding £12m

    The RU premiership numbers will be boosted by the hugely successful games they do at Twickenham which tend to be sellouts. They obviously also play over winter, and Dowden talks about helping them through the difficult winter period. Just hope we've punched at the correct weight for the sport and not been short-changed.
    As well as the £59 & £9m, that you mention, £44m goes to the RFU and £23m goes to clubs below the championship giving £135m total.

  13. #13
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,456
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    As well as the £59 & £9m, that you mention, £44m goes to the RFU and £23m goes to clubs below the championship giving £135m total.
    It stinks.

  14. #14
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3,371
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    RFL have come out and said they are happy with what they've got

    It's also low interest loans rather than a handout for the most part
    That's the thing, it has to be paid back and we all know who the first clubs crying poverty will be when comes to paying it back and who it will end up affecting in the long run.
    Last edited by Angry Dave; 19th November 2020 at 18:19. Reason: The sun doesn't rise in the east

  15. #15
    Got A Season Ticket sinkers89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Age
    30
    Posts
    448
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    In total the RFL has be given £28 mil off the government.

    If that is what the RFL needed and in the end run got, then thats fine by me.

  16. #16
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    4,317
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    One is played on the fields of Eton, the other is not ?
    Quite.

    Anyone thinking the class system no longer exists in this country is deluded.
    I f*cking hate wi*an. And rugby yawnion. And Tories. And Brexit f*ckwits.

  17. #17
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Maghull
    Posts
    1,136
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Except of course Eton is more a soccer school than a Rugby school

  18. #18
    Moderator Div's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sintellins
    Posts
    11,331
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    On the face of it it sucks.
    However, I suspect that the turnover of the Union clubs is higher and at the end of the day it is a loan not a gift. Unless it ends up like the student loan scheme!

  19. #19
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    26
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Government covid 19 funding for sport

    Great to see the government recognising the impact of covid on sports with £300m funding, but...

    Rugby Union gets £135m of which £90m goes to premiership clubs

    Rugby league gets £12m in total

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/54998979

  20. #20
    Got A Season Ticket sinkers89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Age
    30
    Posts
    448
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    RFL have come out and said they are happy with what they have been given.


    Its not a conspiracy theory.

  21. #21
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,631
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Premiership salary cap is up to £7m, Super League is up to £2.1m. So, 12 Premiership clubs means £84m, whereas 12 Super League clubs means £25.2m. Big difference right there in the clubs abilities to pay its players, before you take anything else into account.

    Another factor is the confidence to be able to pay it back. Maybe RL clubs don't want to be in hock to the government for the next decade by taking more than they need right now, whereas RU clubs believe they can meet the repayments when things return to normal. The BT deal for the RU Prem expires at the end of this season and by all accounts their next deal will be a good one, whereas RL will likely take a hit and renegotiate with Sky for a lower deal than at present. It's likely that there is alot more confidence around the Premiership that money will be pouring in from next year, whilst we will still be on the breadline relatively.

  22. #22
    In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,132
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    As far as I understand the funding is in the shape of loans, not grants, so does rugby league need a £135m loan?
    I think we’ll struggle enough repaying a £12m loan.

  23. #23
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    556
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Isnt it based on figures provided by the individual sports governing bodies? I could understand people questioning the disparity if that wasnt the case, but if the RFL submitted a request for the money they received and not more, then that’s something that would need to be taken up with the RFL.

    Ive just had a quick look and a couple of years ago the RFU made £80million from ticket and hospitality for games played at Twickenham that year, and 90% of their revenue came from things involved in those games, tv rights etc. That’s something they dont have this year and likely the reason they requested so much. I found it in this Financial Times article, which alludes to them losing corporate sponsors and thinking they will receive less from their next tv deal.

    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.f...0-cbae5495d92b

  24. #24
    Learning All The Songs KentishBarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,993
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    Except of course Eton is more a soccer school than a Rugby school
    They also play cricket!

  25. #25
    In The South Stand saintgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    eccleston
    Posts
    4,343
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    They also play cricket!
    And ‘Fives’

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •