Jungle Out There Banner
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 93 of 93

Thread: Super League take over.

  1. #76
    In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,766
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I'll be amazed if it isn't Toulouse.
    I'm hoping it is - I'd probably go over for their derby game, it'd be tasty!
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

  2. #77
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    If I was any of the other clubs applying I would be furious at Bradford being considered. Into administration 3 times in the past 10 years. I feel sorry for their fans, but currently Bradford do not belong in SL.
    Wood is the major player at the Bulls, yes the same Pasty cruncher who engineered a massive pay off, following earning a massive salary. Plus the "Dodgy Odsal" deal. COUGH COUGH. It stinks!

  3. #78
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,007
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Wakefield have released some new drawings of developments at Bell Vue, so maybe some criteria will be set out for continuing in super league. Of course once they are in this will go the same way as all the other artists impressions,

  4. #79
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3,373
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Wakefield have released some new drawings of developments at Bell Vue, so maybe some criteria will be set out for continuing in super league. Of course once they are in this will go the same way as all the other artists impressions,
    Was it drawn on an etch-a-sketch?

  5. #80
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    562
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Was it drawn on an etch-a-sketch?
    I heard finger painted by Danny Brough during lockdown...

  6. #81
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3,373
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    I heard finger painted by Danny Brough during lockdown...
    There's more chance of me growing a full head of hair than them having a decent ground.

  7. #82
    Learning All The Songs KentishBarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,993
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Was it drawn on an etch-a-sketch?
    Hurriedly drawn round a secretary's handbag, as in Reggie Perrin?
    (Showing my age now)

    ...But seriously, BBC sports site says that their current stands structure dates back to 1924!
    This really should be their last chance to do something.

  8. #83
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    4,339
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    I'm past caring now.

    The idiots running the game and making the rules have drained all entertainment out of it. We can't turn the clock back, no matter who is in charge.
    I f*cking hate wi*an. And rugby yawnion. And Tories. And Brexit f*ckwits.

  9. #84
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    459
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Hurriedly drawn round a secretary's handbag, as in Reggie Perrin?
    (Showing my age now)

    ...But seriously, BBC sports site says that their current stands structure dates back to 1924!
    This really should be their last chance to do something.
    Wakfeild said it's their first upgrade in 75 years a 2500 seater stand

  10. #85
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,638
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I'm past caring now.

    The idiots running the game and making the rules have drained all entertainment out of it. We can't turn the clock back, no matter who is in charge.
    We’ve deserved a lot better. I moan about the game as much as the next person, but I still love being a RL fan. The way ex players and people in the sport have organised stuff related to Rob Burrow and MND this year has been a good reminder that our sport is full of good people, and it retains an authentic northern working class attitude in many ways which we should be proud of. But they and we have been let down by those making decisions for quite some time.

    I think sometimes that we need to forget about hoping for structural change and just concentrate on making the actual game on the field better. The sport can be horribly run but if the games on a weekend are exciting and the league is competitive it will still attract crowds and be something we can all get behind. None of us became fans because we were enthused by a play off system or because we valued the Regal Trophy, etc. We got into this because going to the game was fun, the stuff we watched on the park was exciting and we wanted to see Saints win stuff. To make the game fun and to make the matches exciting only requires an attitude change amongst coaches and players. That sounds easier than hoping for radical structural change at the top of the game IMO.

  11. #86
    Starting A Programme Collection St Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Newton Le Willows
    Posts
    907
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Needs a business head to take over like Hearn. He has a business model for each particular sport that hits the right places. Like him or loathe him, hes proven and other investors would look at his work and take the risk. The reason Hearn wont ever come in is because he wants to gut it and build from the bottom up. The guys we have, keep trying to polish a turd and just look after their own needs

    Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (15) - 193132, 195253, 195859, 196566, 196970, 197071, 197475, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020

    Challenge Cup (12) - 195556, 196061, 196566, 197172, 197576, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008

    World Club Challenge (2) - 2001, 2007

    League Leader's Shield (8) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019 (16 points clear of second placed Wigan, the biggest winning margin in 124 years)

  12. #87
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,464
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    Needs a business head to take over like Hearn. He has a business model for each particular sport that hits the right places. Like him or loathe him, hes proven and other investors would look at his work and take the risk. The reason Hearn wont ever come in is because he wants to gut it and build from the bottom up. The guys we have, keep trying to polish a turd and just look after their own needs

    Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    I would sooner have Hearn than providers of venture capital

  13. #88
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    562
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I would sooner have Hearn than providers of venture capital
    Hearn through his other sporting ventures has built up a portfolio of sponsors, some of which could quite easily add Super League to the sports they sponsor. I’m not saying he would be the best person for Super League, but he has the knowledge, experience and contacts to help grow the game, something that cannot be said about what we have now.

  14. #89
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,464
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Hearn through his other sporting ventures has built up a portfolio of sponsors, some of which could quite easily add Super League to the sports they sponsor. I’m not saying he would be the best person for Super League, but he has the knowledge, experience and contacts to help grow the game, something that cannot be said about what we have now.
    Too many people involved in the admin of SL now, would lose too much if the Hearns came in.

  15. #90
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    562
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Too many people involved in the admin of SL now, would lose too much if the Hearns came in.
    That is true, some would rather see the game slowly suffocate rather than give it to someone who has the resources and connections to grow the game just to hold on to their power.

  16. #91
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    under the laughing tree
    Posts
    1,105
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I would sooner have Hearn than providers of venture capital
    Hearn could’ve been a good move, although i don’t think he’d give a shit about clubs like Salford, and your Batley, Barrow, Fev, and Leigh types.

  17. #92
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road
    Posts
    1,266
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    Hearn could’ve been a good move, although i don’t think he’d give a shit about clubs like Salford, and your Batley, Barrow, Fev, and Leigh types.
    That would most probably be true of any takeover and not just those clubs.

    The people running the game at the moment appear to lack competence but at least they are Rugby League fans similarly with the NRL.


    For me all this talk of Venture Capitalists is just Elstone trying to play with the big boys.

    The reality is most rugby league clubs are not financially viable and only survive because of the generosity (or foolishness) of their owners

    If any financial guru or marketing expert did an analysis of rugby in this country they would most probably comeback with the conclusion that there is only room for one professional code of rugby in the UK, they would suggest that the top half dozen or so go over to Union and the rest go back to being amateur or semi-pro.


    We may not like the leadership at the moment but be careful what you wish for.

  18. #93
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    near leigh
    Posts
    2,707
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    whoever came in ,as other men have done they would gradually get rid of the people who were not going to be any use ,or maybe not gradually.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •