Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Super League take over.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    He was on the board at Cas in 2007 getting a new ground sorted !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    He did a good job with that then.
    His performances with SL at least prove he is consistent.

Banned

He along with Kenwright took Everton to the edge. Awful appointment. Another Yorkshire Pudding on 500K a year.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I agree on Toronto but not sure Toulouse would be that big of a risk logistically if it were not for the virus. I think within a few years they'd get crowds on a par with Catalans and would improve the marketability of the sport with two competitive French sides bouncing off each other and increasing the overall reach of the league in the south of France. Toulouse would become one of the three biggest cities that Super League had a team in, with a history of RL and a chance to be really valuable.

I'm not sure I agree about Wales. Whilst we have a rich history there with alot of the greatest names in our sport coming from there, I'm not sure that translates to a club side actually working. As you rightly say, north Wales does have a decent share of people who moved across from the North West, but those people have their allegiances and teams to begin with. If RL fans exist in north Wales (and they obviously do) how many of them will want to fully support a club side for 15 weekends a year in big enough numbers when traditionally they're Saints or Warrington fans (or their Dads were, etc) and both grounds are only an hour away? There will be some of course who have no allegiance to any English club and would jump at the chance, but how many does that add up to? North Wales is full of football fans, but west of Wrexham there isn't a team with a ground that holds more than 5,000 because the traditional pull of Liverpool, Everton, United etc is too great. At a smaller level RL will be the same I would imagine, and so managing to have a viable club in the top flight would IMO be difficult because the people you're attracting are already fans of other clubs whilst the ones who aren't are too small in numbers.
    I get your ideas re North Wales, not sure I agree though. We agree that there are plenty of relocated notherners with allegiances to northern rugby and footie teams, where I disagree with you is that I feel a team in say Wrexham would, if invested in properly and promoted properly could attract enough attention to garner support. Many in the area are probably "armchair" fans (with their old favourites playing too far away to watch live), who may just be enticed to trot along to live sport if it were nearer to home. A Wrexham team in the top flight league in rugby (SL) would, I'm sure be a major attraction to those living locally to whom their old allegiances are now a million miles away. There's no substitute for live sport (as the crowdless football matches have by and large shown, with the odd exception). I agree that initially old loyalties may die hard, but if supporters of other clubs now living in North Wales went along to see those teams playing a Welsh side (Wrexham?) and took their kids, there's a fair chance that the kids may come away supporters of their local team. It's got to be worth exploring, unlike the nonsense that was Toronto.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    He along with Kenwright took Everton to the edge. Awful appointment. Another Yorkshire Pudding on 500K a year.
    100%, pair of clowns, hopefully Moshiri gets rid of Kenwright in the next year or so. I said when he was appointed he'd be useless, he's done nothing to change that opinion, he also has one of those really smarmy faces that's crying out for a right hook.

Starting A Programme Collection NortonSaint's Avatar

This may sound like heresy to some but I would ditch the name Super League, that over the years has become a costly add-on that the RFL could ill afford.
    The exclusiveness of Super League has virtually separated itself from Rugby League in finance, playing standards and crowds, the neutral supporters at finals are almost non-existent.
    But Super League’s biggest sin is to hand over the name Rugby to Rugby Union, who when advertising have dropped Union.

Quote Originally Posted by NortonSaint View Post
    This may sound like heresy to some but I would ditch the name Super League, that over the years has become a costly add-on that the RFL could ill afford.
    The exclusiveness of Super League has virtually separated itself from Rugby League in finance, playing standards and crowds, the neutral supporters at finals are almost non-existent.
    But Super League’s biggest sin is to hand over the name Rugby to Rugby Union, who when advertising have dropped Union.
    Too many SL's now, everything from Rugby to netball. It was fine when we were the only SL (probably should have registered the name), but now it tells you nothing. I'm not sure we have handed over the name Rugby. RU have hundreds of trademarks containing the word rugby but so do RL.

In The South Stand

Norton Saint Hooray someone at last saying what i have thought / said for years .

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

I'm not sure that you should be blaming SL for that. Surely it should have been challenged by the RFL?

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I'm not sure that you should be blaming SL for that. Surely it should have been challenged by the RFL?
    Has the RFU trademarked the word Rugby? I doubt the word itself is distinctive enough to be trademarked. It has other uses, eg clothing. I know that Rugby World Cup 2019 was trademarked, but the word Rugby? I have never seen anything on that. Though I am quite often wrong, just ask my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Has the RFU trademarked the word Rugby? I doubt the word itself is distinctive enough to be trademarked. It has other uses, eg clothing. I know that Rugby World Cup 2019 was trademarked, but the word Rugby? I have never seen anything on that. Though I am quite often wrong, just ask my wife.
    Not the word 'Rugby' in it's entirety, but they do have 'Rugby World Cup' registered as a trademark. That lead on to various media outlets referring to union as 'rugby' when talking about their world cups. Then the name sticks, and we begin to sound like some domestic league version of their code.
    Does it matter? Yes. I think it does... And our governing bodies seemingly did nothing to challenge it.

Learning All The Songs

I totally agree super league is dreadful id sooner the top division be called the Rugby League Premiership. I always thought the top division was going to be called the Super Rugby League which is better than just SL, but i never hear many commentators saying it. While we’re at it, id also scrap the squad numbers and go back to 1 to 17. I’d also get rid of the MC who is at Leeds but he also does the GF, and international’s he sounds like someone in control of the Waltzer at a fairground he’s got a “scream if you want to go faster” type of voice. Finally a SatNav for all Yorkshire side’s (especially Cas) who seem to struggle arriving for matches in Lancashire on time.

Not the word 'Rugby' in it's entirety, but they do have 'Rugby World Cup' registered as a trademark. That lead on to various media outlets referring to union as 'rugby' when talking about their world cups. Then the name sticks, and we begin to sound like some domestic league version of their code.
    Does it matter? Yes. I think it does... And our governing bodies seemingly did nothing to challenge it.
    I think the Trademarks for Rugby World Cup are taken out for each event, with the corresponding year added to the trademark. Eg Rugby World Cup 2019

I think the Trademarks for Rugby World Cup are taken out for each event, with the corresponding year added to the trademark. Eg Rugby World Cup 2019
    Yes. It all started in 1986 by the sound of it.....

They also have 'Rugby World Cup ltd'.
    Did our lot ever raise any objections to this when it first happened?
    Does it matter?

Edit. There should have been a link but I can't get it to work!
    Last edited by KentishBarry; 28th December 2020 at 13:37.

Yes. It all started in 1986 by the sound of it.....

They also have 'Rugby World Cup ltd'.
    Did our lot ever raise any objections to this when it first happened?
    Does it matter?

Edit. There should have been a link but I can't get it to work!
    The RL have Rugby league World cup 2021 trademarked. I think we are doing pretty much the same as them. Though due to the size of the sport, on a worldwide basis they will probably have more trademarks than we do.

The RL have Rugby league World cup 2021 trademarked. I think we are doing pretty much the same as them. Though due to the size of the sport, on a worldwide basis they will probably have more trademarks than we do.
    I've no issue with them having trademarks, but why did they drop the word 'Union' from theirs? It is a Rugby Union World Cup after all.
    I can be quite cynical, and I've no love for RU for the way they've behaved in the past, but I can't help feeling that this was a subtle attack on us.

Got A Season Ticket

I've no issue with them having trademarks, but why did they drop the word 'Union' from theirs? It is a Rugby Union World Cup after all.
    I can be quite cynical, and I've no love for RU for the way they've behaved in the past, but I can't help feeling that this was a subtle attack on us.
    I think it's just because to the 95% of the country that isn't interested in rugby league, rugby = rugby union

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealHarryPinner View Post
    I think it's just because to the 95% of the country that isn't interested in rugby league, rugby = rugby union
    You're probably right about the 95%, but that's exactly why I think our own authorities should have made more of an issue about this, and promote our own identity as the other code of rugby.

I pretty much agree. I'm sure the intention was to set themselves up to be that, they are rugby.