Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Super League take over.

In The South Stand

Default Super League take over.

Story from Australia that the Aussie's are looking at taking over the Super League, looking wether it is viable or not.

Banned

I hope not, we really will become a feeder league then (more so than now). If anything I want us to move against anything Aussie inspired.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I hope not, we really will become a feeder league then (more so than now). If anything I want us to move against anything Aussie inspired.
    Agree. It just shows how much lack of faith there is in the game's leadership over here.

Learning All The Songs

I'd be all for it if it was for the good of the game.
    But as much as I would like to see change and see the game move forward, I tend to agree about them cherry picking even more players..

Id rather Eddie Hearn take over

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

There's not much detail in it, I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

In reality we have a situation where if someone in Super League is good enough for the NRL and wishes to leave, they will anyway.

A bit more money in the game over here may actually keep them here

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Alternatively there seems to be a plan to sell a share of the game to "Venture Capalists"

I'm all for people putting money into the game but traditionally the game has been supported by wealthy local businessmen who do it for the love of the game and their club.

They don't do it to make money but Venture Capitalists would be looking for a return on their investment.

Seems a dangerous road to go down

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Money talks personally I welcome it as a real opportunity for the good of the game.We are about to get rogered over the TV deal and if we carry on with the same leadership we'll be back semi pro within three years.
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Alternatively there seems to be a plan to sell a share of the game to "Venture Capalists"

I'm all for people putting money into the game but traditionally the game has been supported by wealthy local businessmen who do it for the love of the game and their club.

They don't do it to make money but Venture Capitalists would be looking for a return on their investment.

Seems a dangerous road to go down
    Add to that the odour of desperation that RL will clearly exude.

Robert Elstone was brought in as a protest to the Wood and RFL.
    His remit was to attract increased commercial revenue specifically
    the TV deal and paid handsomely to do it.

For all Wood's nepotism and mismanagement he did deliver a £40m pa TV deal
    (by accident or design)

Elstone has failed - commercial revenue down and costs rocketing pre-covid.
    The TV deal will be a car crash and the likes of McManus along with Hertherington
    have got him in their sights.

His last roll of the dice will be to sell the game to venture capitalists to cover
    his commercial failings. They will buy cheap if at all and will asset strip.

Never let the mafia "buy" a share in your restaurant.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Just playing devils advocate here.

But if a Third Party wants to invest money into Super League , the end goal for said Third Party would be to recoup the original investment and profit on top.

They wouldnt just let any old dafty run the job. They would put someone in place who they believe (with a proven track record) who would fulfil that role.

Ultimately, they would push the game on.

They would be looking for big sponsorships. Bigger sponsorship means bigger exposure means increased TV deals.

This story has reared its head in the past so there may be something in it. It depends how the NRL would view it - as a pure feeder league or an expansion of their brand. Either way there’s not exactly a queue of other interested parties so it might be that or semi pro rugby

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    This story has reared its head in the past so there may be something in it. It depends how the NRL would view it - as a pure feeder league or an expansion of their brand. Either way there’s not exactly a queue of other interested parties so it might be that or semi pro rugby
    Allso the chance even more third rate players will end up over here

Learning All The Songs

What does the NRL do different? Or is it as a simple as more people watch and people play? Therefore there is more money in the game.??

Banned

Some good points raised, I just don't trust the RFL to get anything right. Including selling our competition to someone else.

Banned

Please yes. Rimmer and elstone are killing us.

In The South Stand

All for it, between The RFL, Robert Elstone and the club chairmen, we’ve got the game being pulled in all sorts of directions without any overall leadership and a mess of self interest and short term thinking reining supreme.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Default Super League take over.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Add to that the odour of desperation that RL will clearly exude.

Robert Elstone was brought in as a protest to the Wood and RFL.
    His remit was to attract increased commercial revenue specifically
    the TV deal and paid handsomely to do it.

For all Wood's nepotism and mismanagement he did deliver a £40m pa TV deal
    (by accident or design)

Elstone has failed - commercial revenue down and costs rocketing pre-covid.
    The TV deal will be a car crash and the likes of McManus along with Hertherington
    have got him in their sights.

His last roll of the dice will be to sell the game to venture capitalists to cover
    his commercial failings. They will buy cheap if at all and will asset strip.

Never let the mafia "buy" a share in your restaurant.
    I share your concerns (and your assessment of Elstone/SL’s leadership), but I’m wondering what assets there would actually be to strip? Presumably they would own the rights to the competition but not the clubs themselves.

Learning All The Songs

If you had a good few quid to invest would you choose RL ?
    There is nothing financially to be made from this game, even with top money in sponsorship, it will just tick over.
    Since the launch of SL and the very good initial profile, it has lost its connection with the International and Amateur scene, the growth of the game has regressed and any money invested now will be to prop up a few teams to keep a viable 12 plus team competition.
    We need radical forward thinkers not safe steering executives.
    A dictating non democratic Venture Capitalist may be just what is required.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

The whole thing wants streamlining but who owns what?

It was interesting in the vote re Toronto that the RFL had one vote and so did each of the SL clubs and that's where some of the problem lies.

The chairmen of most of the SL clubs will only vote for what is best for their club not necessarily the game as a whole.
    They would only want a new "expansion" club if they were going to bring 5000 visiting fans, and that's not going to happen.

Financially Lyndsay's dream of merged super clubs in Super League may have been right but it was never going to happen.

Maybe we need a breakaway of say six of the more professionally minded SL clubs plus six new clubs spread over the UK formed and backed by NRL clubs to form an elite league.
    But it would need millions of Aussie dollars to fund it

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    The whole thing wants streamlining but who owns what?

It was interesting in the vote re Toronto that the RFL had one vote and so did each of the SL clubs and that's where some of the problem lies.

The chairmen of most of the SL clubs will only vote for what is best for their club not necessarily the game as a whole.
    They would only want a new "expansion" club if they were going to bring 5000 visiting fans, and that's not going to happen.

Financially Lyndsay's dream of merged super clubs in Super League may have been right but it was never going to happen.

Maybe we need a breakaway of say six of the more professionally minded SL clubs plus six new clubs spread over the UK formed and backed by NRL clubs to form an elite league.
    But it would need millions of Aussie dollars to fund it
    That's quite an interesting thought.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Money talks personally I welcome it as a real opportunity for the good of the game.We are about to get rogered over the TV deal and if we carry on with the same leadership we'll be back semi pro within three years.
    I think you make a valid point, the trajectory doesn't soon too positive so maybe change things before it's too late. Maybe end up in the same place but at least it wasn't for not trying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CGSaint View Post
    What does the NRL do different? Or is it as a simple as more people watch and people play? Therefore there is more money in the game.??
    I think that's a massive part, nearly 1m people in Sydney watched the grand final on TV, out of a population of 5m..

In 2019 the AFL grand final was the most watched programme on TV, State of Origin had three of the top ten with the NRL grand final in there also..

I know that's all figures but you can't underestimate how It's absolutely massive

You don't need me to tell you that means sponsorship, TV rights and publicity

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I share your concerns (and your assessment of Elstone/SL’s leadership), but I’m wondering what assets there would actually be to strip? Presumably they would own the rights to the competition but not the clubs themselves.
    They wouldn't own the clubs themselves but a couple of things they could do:-

(i) Charge the game interest on money invested (top slicing income from TV) , to a point it actually bleeds the clubs dry.
    The clubs then become worthless. Bit like a loan shark charging mega interest.

(ii) Franchise the competition. Clubs can win or lose their right to complete in the third party owned competition.
    Nothing stopping them from taking "Wigan Warriors" franchise and giving it to "Watford Warriors".

Learning All The Songs

I think about the merger idea all the time.
    But getting anyone to agree would be near impossible.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by CGSaint View Post
    Nail on head

Learning All The Songs

Having the officials be more accountable needs looking at aswell.
    I think that has been atrocious this year. So inconsistent.. But what is done?? Nothing I imagine.