Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Luke Thompson

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    There’s absolutely no way on earth Wigan could get French, Hastings, Field, Hardaker, Burgess, Gildart, Farrell AND Thompson under the cap.
    If you don't believe they can then you must surely be saying that we spent years cheating in the early 2000s, for that was what people used to say about us all the time with better players than that.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    I’m sure Gold Coast would jump at the chance!
    Yeh i think he’s definitely good enough for the NRL. Its just a question of which club knows how to utilise him best.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

I said it in a different thread.

He will go to who offers him the most money.

Mercenary.

I dont want him back.

Banned

Default Luke Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    I said it in a different thread.

He will go to who offers him the most money.

Mercenary.

I dont want him back.
    Mercenary?

Have a day off.

It’s his job. Same way you’d change jobs if someone offered you a boat load of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

I'm an idiot
    Edited for accuracy.

He wasnt wanting to help the club out when they needed him to. Instead he used it to manufacture an early release.

I have no issue with players wanting to better themselves, but you have to show a bit of respect to the club .

He didnt.

The club has survived without him.

Banned

He wasnt wanting to help the club out when they needed him to. Instead he used it to manufacture an early release.

I have no issue with players wanting to better themselves, but you have to show a bit of respect to the club .

He didnt.

Aye, fair enough. I prefer to think there was more too it than that but I doubt we'll ever know the full story. Sorry for calling you an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Aye, fair enough. I prefer to think there was more too it than that but I doubt we'll ever know the full story. Sorry for calling you an idiot.
    Ive been called far worse for far less. But apologies accepted

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

He didnt.

I would still want him back with us rather than one of our rivals.

Banned

Gold Coast would be the obvious place with Holbrook. Unless he really hates the place "which he might" not everyone takes to Australia. I do then think it will be Leeds if he comes back. Hethrington needs to get Carrick to throw money at something big. I dont think he will ever come back to Saints and not really sure he would fancy Wire, although they could afford him. Wigan need to pay the rent again soon, so need to be careful, that is if Latics new owners want them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Gold Coast would be the obvious place with Holbrook. Unless he really hates the place "which he might" not everyone takes to Australia. I do then think it will be Leeds if he comes back. Hethrington needs to get Carrick to throw money at something big. I dont think he will ever come back to Saints and not really sure he would fancy Wire, although they could afford him. Wigan need to pay the rent again soon, so need to be careful, that is if Latics new owners want them.
    His girlfriend is out there now so that may help him to settle

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

He didnt.

You do realise who his dad is? The lad doesn’t need the money he wanted the move and let’s be right, who wouldn’t? In regards to showing respect to the club, how do you know exactly what he did or didn’t do apart from what snippet you heard down the pub (when open) or in the skewed media?
    He wants to test himself in the NRL and did from his academy days, his chance came and he requested it, he earned the right. If he ever wanted to come back to the super league we would get first chance to speak to him and why wouldn’t we want to speak to him. The rest is up to the player.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    His girlfriend is out there now so that may help him to settle
    Although that could also be the issue, what if she is the one who is homesick ?

In The South Stand

If Thompson wants to come home to England, I think we should do all we can to get him back. It would be dreadful to see him playing for any of our rivals.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Think Paasi coming in stops any Luke Thompson talk?
    Learned comment from The Don

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    I would think so, not too bothered what he does when he turned his head away and left us short handed in the pack. We spent a lot of time and money on the player we only got two good full seasons out of him.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    I’ve read an article in “The Star” that suggests Passi is a direct replacement for Thompson but personally speaking I’d like Thompson back if there’s room for him under the cap, which is doubtful. I’d really hate to see him going to Wigan, Warrington or Leeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    You do realise who his dad is? The lad doesn’t need the money he wanted the move and let’s be right, who wouldn’t? In regards to showing respect to the club, how do you know exactly what he did or didn’t do apart from what snippet you heard down the pub (when open) or in the skewed media?
    He wants to test himself in the NRL and did from his academy days, his chance came and he requested it, he earned the right. If he ever wanted to come back to the super league we would get first chance to speak to him and why wouldn’t we want to speak to him. The rest is up to the player.

Yes, His Dad is Mark Thompson of Mark Thompson Transport (now part of Klinaxia) but the money that company has made doesnt belong to Luke.

It was pretty clear from the Chairman that Luke wasnt willing to play fair.

He wasnt being stopped from testing himself in the NRL when he signed up to join the Bulldogs in 2021. He had a contractual agreement to play for our club for this season.

If he had stayed and gone at the end of the year then he would have gone with a fond fair well and the hope he might return one day.

Starting A Programme Collection

[QUOTE=Nickles Forearm;806329]You do realise who his dad is? The lad doesn’t need the money he wanted the move and let’s be right, who wouldn’t? In regards to showing respect to the club, how do you know exactly what he did or didn’t do apart from what snippet you heard down the pub (when open) or in the skewed media?

No idea what Thompson’s behaviour was but I don’t think the being wealthy exempts you from being mercenary. LOTS of very wealthy people would rip out their granny’s heart for even more wealth. It’s quite often why they are very wealthy and don’t pay their ****ing taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I would think so, not too bothered what he does when he turned his head away and left us short handed in the pack. We spent a lot of time and money on the player we only got two good full seasons out of him.
    Agreed

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post
    Good point

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post

Who are they?
    You may be in for a big surprise.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post
    He gets a new girlfriend then.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Who are they?
    You may be in for a big surprise.
    You stalking me? One thing for sure if my Cousin Ray does end up in part control, I will make sure he bans you from the blue carpet. Yes we all know your owner is trying to jump on the back of some cheap stadium deal with other backers to make it one Wigan. Truth is most soccer fans of the club hate the knuckle draggers who lost their stadium and had to beg for a place to play.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

[QUOTE=djh1972;806358]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post

No idea what Thompson’s behaviour was but I don’t think the being wealthy exempts you from being mercenary. LOTS of very wealthy people would rip out their granny’s heart for even more wealth. It’s quite often why they are very wealthy and don’t pay their ****ing taxes.
    True but this is not related to the Thompson events when he left the club midway through this season. The player wanted the move and an opportunity came earlier than expected. (He could have left preseason under the same agreement but agreed to play 2020 for saints) We didn’t have another forward lined up entering this season to replace him anyway so would have relied on what we had. Fortune in a way presented an opportunity for James Graham to return.
    I think Eamonn McManus should have kept the internal discussions with Luke private rather than talk to the media about it, this element may have left a bad taste.
    In relation to IF he was to return to SL who he would sign for, Wire would be the front runners.