Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Sean Long - Rugby AM

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Default Sean Long - Rugby AM

Good interview with Longy, his philosophy on how the game should be played etc. Interesting him mentioning that he isn't ready to be a head coach yet and much prefers to be on the training field as an assistant.

I may be imagining this but I'm pretty sure, that there were a few posts saying that Longy asked if he was being considered as head coach, and when he was told no, he decided to go to Harlequins. If that isn't the case, I wonder why Saints didn't offer him his old job back?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi86...hannel=RugbyAM

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Good interview with Longy, his philosophy on how the game should be played etc. Interesting him mentioning that he isn't ready to be a head coach yet and much prefers to be on the training field as an assistant.

I may be imagining this but I'm pretty sure, that there were a few posts saying that Longy asked if he was being considered as head coach, and when he was told no, he decided to go to Harlequins. If that isn't the case, I wonder why Saints didn't offer him his old job back?

To attack minded for Wolfe ?.

Starting A Programme Collection

Crackin' video , interviews with Long & Wilkin , first time watched Rugby Am but will watch it more . What a character Waga .

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post

When he was on Sky the other week he implied that Saints did offer him his job back but he wanted to keep his word to Richard Agar and also try something new.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    When he was on Sky the other week he implied that Saints did offer him his job back but he wanted to keep his word to Richard Agar and also try something new.
    Ahh, never saw that interview. A shame he didn't come back. Hopefully, he will in the future

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

By his own admission he is still a few years down the track to take that next step of being head coach, the most important thing he is still staying in Rugby League, I got the impression he was OK with the union role but his heart is still rugby league.

Longy Saints head coach in 2021 would have been a very big gamble in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    By his own admission he is still a few years down the track to take that next step of being head coach, the most important thing he is still staying in Rugby League, I got the impression he was OK with the union role but his heart is still rugby league.

Longy Saints head coach in 2021 would have been a very big gamble in my opinion.
    Agreed, I'd still prefer him to do a head coach job elsewhere before he comes here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long is a superb reader of the game, his insight when he is a pundit is light years ahead of most

He mentions details no one else does and you can see why he was such a good player, his rugby brain is top top class

Would be an ideal head coach? I have my doubts with regards to the intangibles such as man management etc and I'm not sure the pressure of a head coach would sit well on him

I think his best role would be as an attack coach and can't think of anyone better in sl right now for that role

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post
    Long is a superb reader of the game, his insight when he is a pundit is light years ahead of most

He mentions details no one else does and you can see why he was such a good player, his rugby brain is top top class

Would be an ideal head coach? I have my doubts with regards to the intangibles such as man management etc and I'm not sure the pressure of a head coach would sit well on him

I think his best role would be as an attack coach and can't think of anyone better in sl right now for that role
    I think this is where I am, doesn't sound like he feels he's ready yet anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

I agree, certainly for the time being.

Learning All The Songs

I've just come on to for the same reason. Just watched it.

His philosophy is saints through and through and watching that makes me more gutted he didn't come back to Saints
    Could be a future head coach for saints? I know Wellens is probably well and truly in the mix for that too at some point.

I'm really not looking forward to watching Leeds playing how Saints should be playing.. But good luck to him

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

My take as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Crackin' video , interviews with Long & Wilkin , first time watched Rugby Am but will watch it more . What a character Waga .
    Bad timing because they announced last week it's finishing!
    After very rough start it's actually developed into a really decent show. Shame that they are pulling the plug.

I think his move to Leeds will help his development immeasurably. His coaching and man management skills will be tested far more in having to work within a new environment, with the need to win over and mould an unfamiliar player base, rather than merely being reabsorbed into a winning club where everyone is comfortable with each others’ methods. I’m sure his reaction to the pressures placed on him at Leeds will help define whether he will wish to, or be capable of, assuming any future head coach role.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I think his move to Leeds will help his development immeasurably. His coaching and man management skills will be tested far more in having to work within a new environment, with the need to win over and mould an unfamiliar player base, rather than merely being reabsorbed into a winning club where everyone is comfortable with each others’ methods. I’m sure his reaction to the pressures placed on him at Leeds will help define whether he will wish to, or be capable of, assuming any future head coach role.
    I don't doubt it will help his development. But what you say in the rest of your post, hasn't he already done those things at Salford, and more so at Harlequins than he will have to at Leeds.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I don't doubt it will help his development. But what you say in the rest of your post, hasn't he already done those things at Salford, and more so at Harlequins than he will have to at Leeds.

Sean Long has held coaching posts at Salford, Wigan, Saints, Harlequins and now Leeds. He is 44 years of age. If he’s not ready for a head coaches job by now he never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by wirefox View Post
    Sean Long has held coaching posts at Salford, Wigan, Saints, Harlequins and now Leeds. He is 44 years of age. If he’s not ready for a head coaches job by now he never will be.
    He left Salford under a dark cloud, though, and then IIRC got binned off by Wigan after a few months for not being professional enough. He seemed to leave Quins on good terms but wasn’t there for long. It may be that he’s sorted himself out and is ready for the responsibility but it would be a risk for whichever club took the punt.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

He was a secret Agent at Wigan and could be something similar at Leeds, or maybe he wants to put himself in the "shop window" for 2 years down the track.

Learning All The Songs

I don't think his personality is suited for head coach.. He kind of said so himself. He prefares the more hands on roll than the total management of everyone..

Him and Holbrook must have formed a great partnership. Maybe JH would have him back at some point

Noooobie

He was a secret Agent at Wigan and could be something similar at Leeds, or maybe he wants to put himself in the "shop window" for 2 years down the track.
    He also coached with Samoa.

He will be back at Saints sooner rather than later I'm convinced of it

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    He will be back at Saints sooner rather than later I'm convinced of it
    I think so too. I think he's biding his time until Woolf goes and probably thinks he's better off coaching in League than Union.

Learning All The Songs

Correct. He is ready now.

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    Correct. He is ready now.
    He said otherwise himself.