Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: End of Season

Banned

I remember the play off defeat by Wire at home. Richardson dropping goals and trying to play it tight and it ended badly. I think this team needs to shift it wide and get Coote up in the line.

It's how he uses Jammer which will be huge, if Lees was doing the metres I wouldn't be so concerned. One thing is for sure he needs to be told he can't play Welsby and Grace on that wing, it may even mean looking at Makinson in the centre if he does not fancy Simm just yet.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    I remember the play off defeat by Wire at home. Richardson dropping goals and trying to play it tight and it ended badly. I think this team needs to shift it wide and get Coote up in the line.

It's how he uses Jammer which will be huge, if Lees was doing the metres I wouldn't be so concerned. One thing is for sure he needs to be told he can't play Welsby and Grace on that wing, it may even mean looking at Makinson in the centre if he does not fancy Simm just yet.
    I agree. I think we respect Warrington way too much. We need to shift the ball and not play so conservative. Having said that. Lomax’s try in the cup game was a beauty with great passing between Fages and Percy. Then Percy goes off and Average Anthony has a field day for Warrington.

However. Even if we play good rugby our mental strength is a concern. Its very rare we win close games against tough opposition. We were all over Warrington in the opening 15 of that cup game. Then Gelling scores off that chip kick and we fell apart for the remainder of that first half.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Got A Replica Shirt

Welsby should be nowhere near the 17 for the playoffs.For me stick Peyroux in the centres.Hes strong and powerful and can make the hard yards when needed.

Banned

Mental toughness, sadly that is cultural gap within the club. Joynty and Scully had exceptional mental toughness and they brought Newy, Longy up to that level. Once Scully had to call it a day, no real stand out captain was left. Great players, then and since no doubt about that, but no real mentally tough leaders, all players are physically tough. Sinfield for me was totally overrated but him and Peacock took that mantle on and we know the end story.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Just like to say Simm for me all day long square pegs in square holes. Playing players out of position in big games is a recipe for trouble.

Tactics too are one of our problems. We don't have the weight to hump it up the middle apart from Big All so play quickly and with pace is the answer. How can't we see that?

But referees play a part in allowing a free flowing game,Wigan and Wire get away with slowing the play at a surprising rate.
    Learned comment from The Don

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I agree. I think we respect Warrington way too much. We need to shift the ball and not play so conservative. Having said that. Lomax’s try in the cup game was a beauty with great passing between Fages and Percy. Then Percy goes off and Average Anthony has a field day for Warrington.

However. Even if we play good rugby our mental strength is a concern. Its very rare we win close games against tough opposition. We were all over Warrington in the opening 15 of that cup game. Then Gelling scores off that chip kick and we fell apart for the remainder of that first half.
    Let's not assume too much....the Fishbangers never expected to be in the playoffs, hence one of the reasons, I assume, the KC stadium was selected to play the GF. But they've got a massive incentive now and if they have one of their good days might just just make The Wolfs wait another year!
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

Starting A Programme Collection

Default Hull

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunFunk View Post
    Let's not assume too much....the Fishbangers never expected to be in the playoffs, hence one of the reasons, I assume, the KC stadium was selected to play the GF. But they've got a massive incentive now and if they have one of their good days might just just make The Wolfs wait another year!
    Bang on! Everyone is forgetting Wires have a game to win v Hull who have a big pack and are quite capable of causing an upset

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Though he picked Welsby instead of Simm last time, I'm not sure why he wouldn't fancy Simm. For me Simm has been OK, especially for a player so inexperienced. I know it is a KO game and will be tight, also that Welsby is bigger. But, Simm is a centre and even if he is playing on his weaker side, his positioning and reading of the game as a centre has been the better of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferester123 View Post
    Bang on! Everyone is forgetting Wires have a game to win v Hull who have a big pack and are quite capable of causing an upset
    Wire will beat Hull comfortably. By 18 points at least

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunFunk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferester123 View Post
    Hull are more than capable of beating Warrington but its a sorry state of affairs when fans of our once great club need to rely on Hull to knock out our bogey team for us

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Hull are more than capable of beating Warrington but its a sorry state of affairs when fans of our once great club need to rely on Hull to knock out our bogey team for us
    It's been in a sorry state of affairs this season, with Covid we really have the possibility of a top 7 play off with Huddersfield on standby. It's very likely we will get a couple of positive Covid tests between the clubs within the next 3 weeks. Hull and Huddersfield have been given life lines, also the goal posts were changed for Catalan and Leeds.

I'm just hoping the Grand Final winners are going to come from the consistent sides in Wigan, Saints and Warrington to give dome creditable end to the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Though he picked Welsby instead of Simm last time, I'm not sure why he wouldn't fancy Simm. For me Simm has been OK, especially for a player so inexperienced. I know it is a KO game and will be tight, also that Welsby is bigger. But, Simm is a centre and even if he is playing on his weaker side, his positioning and reading of the game as a centre has been the better of the two.
    I agree Simm is clearly the better option at centre. He won't do it now but I did wonder if he might put Simm right centre with Tommy and KN with Regan to sort of balance experience up. As it is we have 2 young backs together and the swap might have offered a degree of confidence. Hypothetical now I'd suppose but I can't personally fit Welsby into the 17 any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite an interesting thread this. I think the talk of sacking Woolf is way wide of the mark. To an extent, he was dealt a rough hand with the early departure of Thompson. In 2017 and the first part of 2018, Holbrook adopted the approach of having one of Walmsley and Thompson on the bench and one starting.

When Walmsley returned from injury in 2019, both he and Thompson started. Why? To blitz the opposition up the middle. Then Taia, Peyroux and Knowles would cause problems with wide runs. Then the likes of Coote and Lomax could cut open defences.

The problem we had under Holbrook was when teams coped with us in the first 20 minutes (see Cup final against Wire), we struggled and could not open up defences. When teams couldn’t cope with our pack at first, we tired them out, took advantage of the resulting defensive lapses and won (see play offs last year).

Woolf has tried the same approach as Holbrook, far more than many of us acknowledge, but with Thompson leaving we have been firing on one cylinder. We have also been without Percival all year so lack strike out wide. You could tell the boost we had in the first 20 minutes of the cup game against Wire with Percy in the squad.

This, combined with lockdown, self-isolation and changes in routine and training methods has meant it has been a hard season. Very few teams top the league in any meaningful competition in any sport three years on the run. We were within a whisker of it, and probably would have won if the structure hadn’t been changed at the last second. Hardly a disaster.

To sack Woolf would be very harsh and may even put off future coaches from joining us for fear of the trigger being pulled after, objectively, we have done well.

Where you can criticise Woolf is his lack of adaptation. We have a huge over-reliance on Walmsley. If you nullify him, you nullify our whole attacking game. This is probably why we haven’t beaten Wigan or Warrington this year (apart from Wigan’s reserves).

Our lack of big-game success over many years and poor record against the big teams this year concerns me. I struggle to see how we beat Warrington and Wigan in consecutive weeks. I wouldn’t rule out us beating one, but beating both back-to-back is probably going to be beyond us. The big concern is we are playing dull rugby and it doesn’t look to be putting us in the best position to win trophies (that’s not to say we won’t, just we aren’t positioning ourselves as we all we could be). That is the worst of both worlds.

What I do like about Woolf is that he seems to have identified the weaknesses and doesn’t have his head in the sand like Cunningham did. He is taking steps to strengthen the pack next year with Joel Thompson and we are linked with some big, nasty NRL props.

This is sensible recruitment as we already have plenty of strike in the back line, if we lay a platform for them. If we can restore a pack that can give them a platform, then I would hope to see a return to the more entertaining style we had under Holbrook.

Woolf’s contract has a one year option in our favour at the end of next year. If we continue with this style next year and continue to struggle against the best teams, it may be better to look at someone like Ian Watson or elsewhere. If Woolf can strengthen the pack and bring a bit more pleasing style as a result, then he will earn that extension. I think a wait and see approach is best for now.

Quote Originally Posted by RV12 View Post
    Quite an interesting thread this. I think the talk of sacking Woolf is way wide of the mark. To an extent, he was dealt a rough hand with the early departure of Thompson. In 2017 and the first part of 2018, Holbrook adopted the approach of having one of Walmsley and Thompson on the bench and one starting.

When Walmsley returned from injury in 2019, both he and Thompson started. Why? To blitz the opposition up the middle. Then Taia, Peyroux and Knowles would cause problems with wide runs. Then the likes of Coote and Lomax could cut open defences.

The problem we had under Holbrook was when teams coped with us in the first 20 minutes (see Cup final against Wire), we struggled and could not open up defences. When teams couldn’t cope with our pack at first, we tired them out, took advantage of the resulting defensive lapses and won (see play offs last year).

Woolf has tried the same approach as Holbrook, far more than many of us acknowledge, but with Thompson leaving we have been firing on one cylinder. We have also been without Percival all year so lack strike out wide. You could tell the boost we had in the first 20 minutes of the cup game against Wire with Percy in the squad.

This, combined with lockdown, self-isolation and changes in routine and training methods has meant it has been a hard season. Very few teams top the league in any meaningful competition in any sport three years on the run. We were within a whisker of it, and probably would have won if the structure hadn’t been changed at the last second. Hardly a disaster.

To sack Woolf would be very harsh and may even put off future coaches from joining us for fear of the trigger being pulled after, objectively, we have done well.

Where you can criticise Woolf is his lack of adaptation. We have a huge over-reliance on Walmsley. If you nullify him, you nullify our whole attacking game. This is probably why we haven’t beaten Wigan or Warrington this year (apart from Wigan’s reserves).

Our lack of big-game success over many years and poor record against the big teams this year concerns me. I struggle to see how we beat Warrington and Wigan in consecutive weeks. I wouldn’t rule out us beating one, but beating both back-to-back is probably going to be beyond us. The big concern is we are playing dull rugby and it doesn’t look to be putting us in the best position to win trophies (that’s not to say we won’t, just we aren’t positioning ourselves as we all we could be). That is the worst of both worlds.

What I do like about Woolf is that he seems to have identified the weaknesses and doesn’t have his head in the sand like Cunningham did. He is taking steps to strengthen the pack next year with Joel Thompson and we are linked with some big, nasty NRL props.

This is sensible recruitment as we already have plenty of strike in the back line, if we lay a platform for them. If we can restore a pack that can give them a platform, then I would hope to see a return to the more entertaining style we had under Holbrook.

Woolf’s contract has a one year option in our favour at the end of next year. If we continue with this style next year and continue to struggle against the best teams, it may be better to look at someone like Ian Watson or elsewhere. If Woolf can strengthen the pack and bring a bit more pleasing style as a result, then he will earn that extension. I think a wait and see approach is best for now.
    Good read, well thought out post. I'd agree he's going nowhere. In my view he's strengthening the forwards and playing to his strengths and knowledge base. It's probably the time to do it. Problem is that while we have some decent backs individually I can't for the life of me see any kind of co-ordination of their collective skills. Another year in and I believe this stagnation will be disastrous. On the other hand I suppose I'd worry if he started bringing backs in as it's clearly not his strength or even interest as far as I can see and we could end up spending too much cash on the wrong players and further stunting any opportunity for those backs coming through. I'd guess we'd be in the market for second row flexible type players if you see what I mean.

I suppose a compromise might be a specific coach for the backs, if only there had been a young, dynamic coach keen to succeed on the market recently who could have filled this role for us and used it as a spring board for his and our future success. If only.

Im not sure i buy into the loss of Thompson excuse for Woolf. We had a couple of dire performances under Woolf before Thompson left. Didn’t we lose at home to Huddersfield, got nilled at Warrington and then trounced at Castleford??

Banned

Im not sure i buy into the loss of Thompson excuse for Woolf. We had a couple of dire performances under Woolf before Thompson left. Didn’t we lose at home to Huddersfield, got nilled at Warrington and then trounced at Castleford??
    Yes.

There have been too many excuses for Woolf that ignore his team are one dimensional and rarely offload. Our game remains based on speed as it was under JH but Woolf’s team are heavily focussed on the grind and simple shapes than JH’s side.

As Ive said before Woolf is coaching as if he has taken over Wakefield or Hull KR. Saints seem incapable of any flair or ambition outside the opposition 20 and we are hardly sparkling inside it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Agree to pretty much to all that is written, to add to it this return to open style entertaining rugby isn't going to happen against the likes of the top teams when the opposition bring there A game. Woolf has tried to make us in a tougher team when we come up against these teams, last weeks game against the Goons was a tough one and it was a matter who broke down in concentration which was us, it was similar in the Warrington cup game.

Next season I'm expecting more of the same, periods of the season with dominance but we do look a tougher proposition in the pack with the addition of Paasi, Thompson and Matautia for those other teams who nullify any open style play.

You don't post often but I always think they are excellent

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    Good read, well thought out post. I'd agree he's going nowhere. In my view he's strengthening the forwards and playing to his strengths and knowledge base. It's probably the time to do it. Problem is that while we have some decent backs individually I can't for the life of me see any kind of co-ordination of their collective skills. Another year in and I believe this stagnation will be disastrous. On the other hand I suppose I'd worry if he started bringing backs in as it's clearly not his strength or even interest as far as I can see and we could end up spending too much cash on the wrong players and further stunting any opportunity for those backs coming through. I'd guess we'd be in the market for second row flexible type players if you see what I mean.

I suppose a compromise might be a specific coach for the backs, if only there had been a young, dynamic coach keen to succeed on the market recently who could have filled this role for us and used it as a spring board for his and our future success. If only.

It will be a LONG time before we find one of them.

It will be a LONG time before we find one of them.
    Indeed.

Going to say something here that sounds disrespectful to Longy but I don't mean it to be.

He's been to other places & not really settled in a role. He took an opportunity at Quins when he seemed to have a solid role here. Fair enough.

But he's back in league now. Maybe he can see an opportunity for progression at Leeds but I do have a feeling that sooner or later, he will end up back at Saints.

To me he's like Wellens, the club is in his blood, even though he's a Wiganer. I honestly don't see anywhere else for him long term. And that's not me having a go at Leeds either because they've got their way of doing things, and have been really successful in recent years..

From what I saw on Southstander upon his appointment, I'd say the reaction from Leeds fans was at best, mixed. I thought they'd be delighted. I have no doubt as to how good a coach Longy is but I do think the role as assistant with control of the attack suits him best. I'd love him to come back to Saints.

Banned

I have nothing against Yorkshite people except they really are tight. However they will view Longy with such suspicion. Doug Laughton was a quality coach at the time, but they never reall wanted him. Agar is Hethrington and Sinfield fall guy and I don't see Longy fitting in beyond a season or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Indeed.

Going to say something here that sounds disrespectful to Longy but I don't mean it to be.

He's been to other places & not really settled in a role. He took an opportunity at Quins when he seemed to have a solid role here. Fair enough.

But he's back in league now. Maybe he can see an opportunity for progression at Leeds but I do have a feeling that sooner or later, he will end up back at Saints.

To me he's like Wellens, the club is in his blood, even though he's a Wiganer. I honestly don't see anywhere else for him long term. And that's not me having a go at Leeds either because they've got their way of doing things, and have been really successful in recent years..

From what I saw on Southstander upon his appointment, I'd say the reaction from Leeds fans was at best, mixed. I thought they'd be delighted. I have no doubt as to how good a coach Longy is but I do think the role as assistant with control of the attack suits him best. I'd love him to come back to Saints.
    I really hope you are right. I would love to see him back here.

I really hope you are right. I would love to see him back here.
    I think a focussed backs co-ordinator/coach will refresh players and improve them all a good 10% for fear they might all actually lose 10% more if nothings done. Long would seem to fit the bill unfortunately I believe we need one for pre-season into 2021 to cover KW's hopefully last season and he wouldn't seem to be available unfortunately.

Learning All The Songs

Speaking of which, what has happened to Wellens?

We thought that, not noticed him, plus not been mentioned..