Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
Understood, but release a retro every year then for those that don't want to buy a shiny new shirt. The club are assuming that everyone wants to buy the new shirt every year, but they don't. If you want the new shirt you'll buy it, and RL is one of them sports were loads seems to want to wear one. But some don't want them, but they'd be happy to spend money on something more classy and retro. Why would the club release anything other than replica shirts if they were worried about people spending their money on other things?
I don't think they are assuming that. My guess is that they're looking for the best return on their money, which I assume would be what we currently get.
Don't get me wrong. I like the idea of better made retro stuff, and there will be people like you who would buy into that, but aren't buying the new replicas.
The problems would start if too many people bought the retro's, then wore them for several years, rather than buying a replica each season.
They could obviously charge more for the retro's, but how much more would they need to charge to retain the cash flow balance?