Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New clothing range

Default New clothing range

Have to say I’m very disappointed with the new range. At a time when the club needs to maximise every income stream, the new range seriously disappoints. No imagination and barely a change from previous offerings.

I don’t like O Neil’s quality anyway but it’s clear that no one has had the foresight to do anything differently.

We mock Wigan for their badge (and rightly so) but their new kit and training range is very different and to be fair their social media channels have certainly hammered the content..I guarantee their new kit will sell really well, even if it does look like Salford’s.

We get a couple of cheesy pictures of Makinson and Grace and a tweet advertising the range. Oh and the chance to win some as long as we tag friends.

I remember a few years ago we brought out a summer range, a lime green banding around it which I loved and actually bought a few things.

This new range looks tired and lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

I think it looks alright. But the Oneils stuff hasnt never really fitted me to well so I tend to go for the non sponsored shirts.

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

Completely agree, i normally kit myself out and the 2 kids. I thought this year i will splash out with not going any games etc. I won't be buying a thing it is the same as last year almost. Waste of time. Very very poor

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I don't really like bashing the club but I have to agree. I can't stand O'Neills as it is from my dealings with them at amateur club level, their service and general quality is poor in terms of variation in products. The design (or lack of) that has gone into this new Saints "range" really is very disappointing. There is nothing about it that jumps out at you as being St.Helens RFC. It's basically stock O'Neills items with our badge sewn own, if that makes sense. There was one item out of the whole lot that I would buy, but apart from that it just all screamed bland to me. Hopefully they will come up with something much better with the kits but I won't hold my breath.

I tried searching yesterday for how long our agreement is with O'Neills but I had no joy. Anyone know? I saw that our sponsorship with Cash Converters is up at the end of 2021, I would love a new supplier and a new sponsor on board for 2022.
    Last edited by The Yellow Giraffe; 6th November 2020 at 10:26.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

I must admit being a little disappointed with what is being offered so far.
    I've no problem with O'Neils. In fact I think the jerseys are as good, if not better than most previous suppliers. I buy one each year, but tend not to buy anything else.
    This year, I was intending to buy more stuff from the shop, just to support the club. I probably still will, but I'm not exactly spoiled for choice.
    I'll be buying a jersey again, but I'm worried that many won't as they'll still have a relatively unworn one from this year!

In The South Stand

I’ve had a quick look but it’s almost identical in terms of design than the 2020 stuff. The colours are largely going to stay the same from year to year. I do agree that more could be done though. We had that legends range when we was at Knowsley Road, something like that in a time like now would do well.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I struggle to buy any stuff other than the replica jersey, don't like the red/grey or red/blue or Navy/grey range much prefer the original red/white.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I struggle to buy any stuff other than the replica jersey, don't like the red/grey or red/blue or Navy/grey range much prefer the original red/white.
    I thought this. There is a massive lack of red and white stuff. There seems to be some obsession with this "grey marl" theme every year.

In The South Stand

We can knock O'Neills but we don't know whether the club have essentially opted for stock leisurewear with little more Saintsification than club colours in the hope of driving the highest margin.

Clearly that pre-supposes that any of it sells. I went online yesterday thinking I should buy somehting to support the club but it is extremely difficult to find anything at all of any interest. They are certainly making it very difficult to part with cash.

Default New clothing range

In the clubs defence, one of the advantages of O Neill’s is the short lead time on delivery and the fact that we don’t need to order huge minimum quantities, resulting in less surplus stock.

I was probably a bit harsh with the quality aspect too. My main gripe is the lack of variety and blandness of the range. More than ever we need to maximise our superstore sales and I just think we’ve missed a beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    We can knock O'Neills but we don't know whether the club have essentially opted for stock leisurewear with little more Saintsification than club colours in the hope of driving the highest margin.

Clearly that pre-supposes that any of it sells. I went online yesterday thinking I should buy somehting to support the club but it is extremely difficult to find anything at all of any interest. They are certainly making it very difficult to part with cash.
    Possibly. Whatever the reasoning and whoever is the "blame," the end result isn't great.

It just has an overall feel of it being generic stuff with our badge plonked on. There is no actual design to most of it, just block colours. Not even the stickman logo anywhere or a vee in sight. Very poor.

I'll probably get the Gilet and then the home shirt if it's decent.

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

The problem is the last 5 years or so there is no variety, we almost know what the kits will look like before they come out. When are the shirts revealed?

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Possibly. Whatever the reasoning and whoever is the "blame," the end result isn't great.

It just has an overall feel of it being generic stuff with our badge plonked on. There is no actual design to most of it, just block colours. Not even the stickman logo anywhere or a vee in sight. Very poor.

I'll probably get the Gilet and then the home shirt if it's decent.
    To be fair, that would be fairly standard for the sort of volumes we're talking about here.

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    To be fair, that would be fairly standard for the sort of volumes we're talking about here.
    I don’t agree. We could quite easily have less items but more of a Saints feel to them. In other words, quality not quantity!

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I don’t agree. We could quite easily have less items but more of a Saints feel to them. In other words, quality not quantity!
    That would be good, but I doubt that the finance side would stack up. I don't know this for a fact, but I would imagine that bespoke designs specifically for us would cost a lot more than the bog standard template. We're not looking at big volumes here.

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

Whilst it's not a million miles away from the current season's colour and look, I do wonder if some of this is the club protecting itself by ordering little and often from a generic colour range.

Given the unsteady financial situations of lots of housholds both locally and across the country, it would be foolish of them to gamble by ordering a large amount of bespoke items (which would also probably increase cost per unit) which may or may not sell. When you look at the sale page of the site, they are still selling items from 2016, so obviously there is an overhang of terminal legacy stock. No historical data for how items have sold previously can be used to model or forecast for this seasons sales. I don't know about what leadtime they would have had, with regards to sign off on designs and quantities, but i should imagine it was done before the resumption of playing.

Is it terrible? No. Could it be better? Probably.

Learning All The Songs

Do the club ever ask the fan’s for ideas on items they should sell ?. I’m not a fan of the colour grey which the club seemed to have used quite a lot over the last few years.

Starting A Programme Collection

Should have brought back the retro blue kit mal meniga wore as a collectors item

do we sell retro old fashioned kits with the collars and old material at all?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post
    Should have brought back the retro blue kit mal meniga wore as a collectors item

do we sell retro old fashioned kits with the collars and old material at all?
    Yeah, O’Neills have done a couple of attempts at retro shirts, from memory the 91-92 home and away and the 97-98 one without a V on it. They’ve all been nylon and pretty poor re-makes, the sort of fake looking football shirts you’d see in Gran Canaria being sold for €15.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Starting A Programme Collection

[QUOTE=Dos Cervezas;805311]Yeah, O’Neills have done a couple of attempts at retro shirts, from memory the 91

I'll skip those then, shame really if done well that could be a big seller

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

It's all generic garbage basically. Two colour stuff, badge and a sponsor. You could buy one of about 20 'leisurewear' tops and it would look more or less the same in design barring the colour. We have such a rich history of classic shirts we should do a retro range and they would sell well. And if someone ended up buying one instead of the new top, I don't see the problem if they're priced the same. I picked up one of the red band long sleeve retros 5 years or so ago when they released them in small numbers, it's a great top with the town crest on it and it will never get out of fashion. I remember Al at The George did a batch of the old Blue French style early 80s retros (see the link below) a while back (Div will confirm this as he bought one I think) which I should have bought but never got around to giving him the money!

Look at the Heritage site, and tell me that retro versions of the top 3 shirts wouldn't sell really well. Why are the club so disdainful of their history to not try to make money from it? The Aussie clubs all do them, and they're fantastic quality, I have one of the 'Video Ezy' Canberra 80s retro's and it's brilliant. Football clubs have all cottoned on to this as well in recent years, and if you're a certain age you get to the stage where wearing the current shirt may not be for you, but wearing a retro shirt would be different. I haven't bought a replica shirt for about 20 years, because I think they're generally rubbish, but give me a retro and I'm throwing my money at it. Why don't we do this?

http://www.saints.org.uk/saints/shirttales.php

Aye still got mine Gray.
    It's proper old school heavy cotton too. The kind that used to weigh an absolute ton if you played on a wet day! Proper town crest on it as well.
    Still going strong. Those kind of jerseys are pretty indestructible!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    It's all generic garbage basically. Two colour stuff, badge and a sponsor. You could buy one of about 20 'leisurewear' tops and it would look more or less the same in design barring the colour. We have such a rich history of classic shirts we should do a retro range and they would sell well. And if someone ended up buying one instead of the new top, I don't see the problem if they're priced the same. I picked up one of the red band long sleeve retros 5 years or so ago when they released them in small numbers, it's a great top with the town crest on it and it will never get out of fashion. I remember Al at The George did a batch of the old Blue French style early 80s retros (see the link below) a while back (Div will confirm this as he bought one I think) which I should have bought but never got around to giving him the money!

Look at the Heritage site, and tell me that retro versions of the top 3 shirts wouldn't sell really well. Why are the club so disdainful of their history to not try to make money from it? The Aussie clubs all do them, and they're fantastic quality, I have one of the 'Video Ezy' Canberra 80s retro's and it's brilliant. Football clubs have all cottoned on to this as well in recent years, and if you're a certain age you get to the stage where wearing the current shirt may not be for you, but wearing a retro shirt would be different. I haven't bought a replica shirt for about 20 years, because I think they're generally rubbish, but give me a retro and I'm throwing my money at it. Why don't we do this?

http://www.saints.org.uk/saints/shirttales.php
    I'm guessing that the club want as many people as possible to buy the current seasons shirt (home and away!).
    I understand what you're saying, but it not in the club's best interest to sell anything that going to last for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Aye still got mine Gray.
    It's proper old school heavy cotton too. The kind that used to weigh an absolute ton if you played on a wet day! Proper town crest on it as well.
    Still going strong. Those kind of jerseys are pretty indestructible!
    I like the one I have but that blue one is a cut above, I'm well jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I'm guessing that the club want as many people as possible to buy the current seasons shirt (home and away!).
    I understand what you're saying, but it not in the club's best interest to sell anything that going to last for years.
    Understood, but why would the club release anything other than replica shirts if they were worried about people spending their money on other things? They sell polo shirts for £30 for example. Why would selling a retro shirt once a year for £50 be any different?