Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Thread: End Of Season Play Offs

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Anyone else feeling a bit meh about tonight? I don't want us to lose but I certainly can't get excited about it either.
    It's definitely not the same as if I was going to the game later but I am still excited and nervous and I will still be desperately wanting us to win.

Yeah it's been an odd year and everything feels different but it doesn't make me want to win any less.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Got A Season Ticket

The ref was poor last night, he missed a few forward passes and Wigan where constantly offside which the sky lot said was great line speed, but I dont think you need to have speed when your already half way towards Hulls line at PTB.

If we get past Catalan then we will struggle to get past Wigan if we use our usual tactics. We won’t win against them by keeping it to a forwards battle, we need to move the ball out to the centres as Wigan’s defence is not as good on the edges and I feel can be pulled out of position with a few decent set moves.

Also I would be looking to lets say unsettle a few of the Wigan players. Players such as Partington, Isa, Smithies, Clubb and Flower will be easy to wind up and we should be looking to niggle them. I think sometimes Saints are too nice but I know Lees, Bentley and LMS are capable of getting things going.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    I do not go in for any underhand or conspiracy theories but some of the decisions were odd, I wondered about the Hardaker one but thought he may have been trying to get back on side when pushed but the "headpat" decision reversal?
    Singleton tapped Regan on the back and clapped in his face, the same ref warned Singleton "do not do that" why did he not reverse the knock on into touch by Regan?
    Very strange decisions tonight, it did not affect the result but there was enough to raise an eyebrow.
    He probably didn't reverse the one with Regan because we didn't all run in and start fighting.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    He probably didn't reverse the one with Regan because we didn't all run in and start fighting.
    Which hacked me off a bit to be fair. Should have been a few backing Grace up, not taking any shizzle. Too busy feeling sorry for themselves. Need to grow a pair to win pots against those sorts of teams.

Although no doubt the clown would have given Wigan a penalty for running in then.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Anyone else feeling a bit meh about tonight? I don't want us to lose but I certainly can't get excited about it either.
    I'd developed a 'Charity Shield' mentality about it all. If we win it'll be great, if we don't win it, it was mickey mouse this year so don't worry about it.

As it is, we'll win tonight and we'll beat them next week, I'm very confident despite my reservations about the style of play and the coach. But if we win it I'll have the opinion that we won the most unimportant league title since the war and I won't really consider it a massive achievement. On the other hand, the thought of Wigan winning the grand final and celebrating it as if it's the biggest achievement ever angers me more this year than the thought of us winning it excites me. I've never been like that, I've never been one of those that thinks Wigan losing is the equivalent of Saints winning, but this year, it's all so unimportant that the thought of them winning it and it being treated as some special marvellous league title really annoys me. Hope that makes sense.

Got A Season Ticket

I'm the opposite - I'd give my right bollock to be there, and it's not the same - but in the current climate it's just about the only thing for me to look forward to!

In The South Stand

I’m looking forward to tonight. I love a big game. Give me nights like these over meaningless weekly rounds against Wakefield, Huddersfield or Hull KR. I’d love to be there tonight. I’m not even thinking of what may lie ahead if we win, just what’s going to happen tonight.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs

If Saints win the next two games then at least they can have a decent break and start the new season concentrating fully on the league without the distraction of the WCC. That took a lot out of the team before lockdown.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    If Saints win the next two games then at least they can have a decent break and start the new season concentrating fully on the league without the distraction of the WCC. That took a lot out of the team before lockdown.
    I read somewhere, about the WCC being played later in the year. Though I don't know if that is confirmed yet.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Reluctantly, i don't think we have, it was a good all round performance by Wigan, they stood up to the physical stuff from Hull then answered it with tries
    While they defended 'robustly' and with a lot of resilience and can be accused of being dour and boring, 4 of their 5 tries from memory came from their full back linking in, each winger scored as did French of course. It's an awful long time we've done that in a competitive match save for against a team of Wigan kids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

The result was never in doubt. When will folk wake up and see what's going on? Wigan get the "rub of the green" again and again, wearing down the opposition mentally. Evey 50/50 call went their way last night. Posters on here think that if Saints players front up to foul play by Wigan they'll get a result, they will, ten minutes in the bin or worse. I've said a thousand times Wigan are officiated differently to the rest of the league. No one can fail to see the bias in Kendall's performance last night. The penalty for patting thug Partington on the head (who reacted like a maniac and had to be held back by Hull and Wigan players) being given when last week he couldn't t see a swinging clenched fist to the face in front of him. You can bet your life if a Saints player had reacted as Partington did, he'd have been yellow carded, no problem. Then there's the push in the back re the non try for Hull, wasn't Hardaker offside? Throughout the game, as with the derby, Wigan were yards offside. Tony Clubb was the first player in leading the charge on a couple of occassions.................he's really that fast? I don't think so. Then there was the usual third man in "lending weight" (that's Wigan speak for falling on two team mates and a grounded player after the tackle is complete) in most tackles. Kendall should never have been given that game after his awful performance last week, never. When he started out he seemed a decent ref, but he's obviously had the "rules" explained to him and is now towing the party line, pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    The result was never in doubt. When will folk wake up and see what's going on? Wigan get the "rub of the green" again and again, wearing down the opposition mentally. Evey 50/50 call went their way last night. Posters on here think that if Saints players front up to foul play by Wigan they'll get a result, they will, ten minutes in the bin or worse. I've said a thousand times Wigan are officiated differently to the rest of the league. No one can fail to see the bias in Kendall's performance last night. The penalty for patting thug Partington on the head (who reacted like a maniac and had to be held back by Hull and Wigan players) being given when last week he couldn't t see a swinging clenched fist to the face in front of him. You can bet your life if a Saints player had reacted as Partington did, he'd have been yellow carded, no problem. Then there's the push in the back re the non try for Hull, wasn't Hardaker offside? Throughout the game, as with the derby, Wigan were yards offside. Tony Clubb was the first player in leading the charge on a couple of occassions.................he's really that fast? I don't think so. Then there was the usual third man in "lending weight" (that's Wigan speak for falling on two team mates and a grounded player after the tackle is complete) in most tackles. Kendall should never have been given that game after his awful performance last week, never. When he started out he seemed a decent ref, but he's obviously had the "rules" explained to him and is now towing the party line, pathetic.

Absolutely 100%. And tonight’s video ref is the other comic who couldn’t see anything wrong last week. It will be interesting to see if he gets involved tonight.

In The South Stand

I read somewhere, about the WCC being played later in the year. Though I don't know if that is confirmed yet.
    I can’t see it happening at all. We’re planning on a twenty-seven round season with the Challenge Cup and play-offs squeezed into a shorter period due to the World Cup, I just don’t see how it gets added in and I can’t see the NRL wanting to send anyone here mid-season and I can’t see any Super League side going to Australia after how bad Wigan’s trip was the other year that cost them £500,000.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I can’t see it happening at all. We’re planning on a twenty-seven round season with the Challenge Cup and play-offs squeezed into a shorter period due to the World Cup, I just don’t see how it gets added in and I can’t see the NRL wanting to send anyone here mid-season and I can’t see any Super League side going to Australia after how bad Wigan’s trip was the other year that cost them £500,000.
    I agree. That statement the other day sounded like a pre-cursor to it being scrapped. Whether we win the GF or not I'm fine with that. It's a game the calendar as a whole can do without next year I think.

Learning All The Songs

I was wondering why the captain does not ask the ref to clarify the reasons for differing ? The Aussies captains for all their bleating usually ask the ref these type of questions in a calm manner. Kendall said last night that Griffin was the cause of the row.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I'm sure we won't change our tried and trusted tactics, after all they've worked so well
    Stop, a Wicked stadium with a Woolf, there may be a big surprise, don`t hold your breath though.

Hard to argue with they obviously practise it and deploy their methods whenever possible and so it becomes normalised. They test what they can get away with early doors then build from there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I get shouted at for saying this stuff out loud but well done 100%.The vermin from over the hill do not play to the spirit if the game and there is something wrong with all of the decisions they get just when they need them which usually switch momentum.
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    I get shouted at for saying this stuff out loud but well done 100%.The vermin from over the hill do not play to the spirit if the game and there is something wrong with all of the decisions they get just when they need them which usually switch momentum.
    Easy to shout 'conspiracy' when complaining about Wigan, but is it that outlandish to think that a few people 'up top' were genuinely worried last night that the team they shoehorned into the play-offs could end up in the GF on their own ground? The criticisms that that would have provoked would have been the last thing the game needs now, so when they were on top early on it wasn't a shock for me to see several calls go against them to change the game in real ways.

I'm not really that fussed about the head patting penalty because it was idiotic to do that in a semi final in the first place, but the no-try decision for a push on an offside player really annoyed me, and the forward pass by Hastings was easy to spot as well. That's a 12 point swing right there, regardless of the head patting penalty.

Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Easy to shout 'conspiracy' when complaining about Wigan, but is it that outlandish to think that a few people 'up top' were genuinely worried last night that the team they shoehorned into the play-offs could end up in the GF on their own ground? The criticisms that that would have provoked would have been the last thing the game needs now, so when they were on top early on it wasn't a shock for me to see several calls go against them to change the game in real ways.

I'm not really that fussed about the head patting penalty because it was idiotic to do that in a semi final in the first place, but the no-try decision for a push on an offside player really annoyed me, and the forward pass by Hastings was easy to spot as well. That's a 12 point swing right there, regardless of the head patting penalty.
    I rest my case m'lud.

The forward pass I agree with but the No Try decision against Hull was correct. Just because Hardaker was offside it doesn't mean Sneyd can push him out of the way like that. By the letter of the law Hardaker needs to be given the opportunity to get back onside and make the tackle if a Hull player picked the ball up. We all know he was going to pick the ball up and make himself offside in which case there would have been an argument for a professional foul. But once Sneyd pushes him before he commits that offence, the play can't continue and it being brought back for the original offence (Wigan knock on) was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    I rest my case m'lud.
    We agree! I'm bookmarking this thread! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    We agree! I'm bookmarking this thread! ;-)
    I'd do the lol thing but I'd get laughed at again !

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    The forward pass I agree with but the No Try decision against Hull was correct. Just because Hardaker was offside it doesn't mean Sneyd can push him out of the way like that. By the letter of the law Hardaker needs to be given the opportunity to get back onside and make the tackle if a Hull player picked the ball up. We all know he was going to pick the ball up and make himself offside in which case there would have been an argument for a professional foul. But once Sneyd pushes him before he commits that offence, the play can't continue and it being brought back for the original offence (Wigan knock on) was correct.
    Could you not argue that in moving towards the ball, from an offside position and in the way of a Hull player that Hardaker is committing an act of obstruction, given that he made no effort to get back onside?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Could you not argue that in moving towards the ball, from an offside position and in the way of a Hull player that Hardaker is committing an act of obstruction, given that he made no effort to get back onside?
    Possibly but even so, two wrongs don't make a write unfortunately. So him being basically "in the way" doesn't give Sneyd the right to push him off the ball.