Jungle Out There Banner
Page 1 of 22 123451121 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 546

Thread: End Of Season Play Offs

  1. #1
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    4,918
    Rep Power
    12

    Default End Of Season Play Offs

    Its a 100% farce now, it seems as though the RFL are sitting on their backsides just waiting to see what permutations are developing before deciding a top 4, top 5, top 6 play off. Last nights meeting with the clubs the play off proposals were supposed to be on the agenda.........but nothing, only the Toronto rubbish.

    Last week I mentioned our players possibly picking up Covid in France and destroying our play offs, is the club showing similar concerns. Travelling to France means they are outside their controlled BUBBLE.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 3rd November 2020 at 10:25.

  2. #2
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7,923
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    What's this about? Why would we deliberately refuse to fulfill a fixture we need to win? Has something happened at the club? Is it financially motivated? Can we not afford it?

    What is going on?
    Maybe the club are worried about getting on a plane with other people and risking catching Covid just before the play offs?

    I don't know just a guess but it does seem strange without knowing the facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

  3. #3
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ashton
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10,011
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Hull KR have just announced they won’t be fulfilling their remaining fixtures for 2020. Getting a bit shambolic now this isn’t it.

    https://www.hullkr.co.uk/club-statement-2020-season/
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

  4. #4
    WARNING! PIE EATER!

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,441
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Hull KR have just announced they won’t be fulfilling their remaining fixtures for 2020. Getting a bit shambolic now this isn’t it.

    https://www.hullkr.co.uk/club-statement-2020-season/
    Does that mean Wire, Catalan and Salford get 24 - 0 wins given them, or are the fixtures void due to covid?

  5. #5
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3,409
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Maybe the club are worried about getting on a plane with other people and risking catching Covid just before the play offs?

    I don't know just a guess but it does seem strange without knowing the facts.
    I'd say that's the case regarding refusing to travel. I must admit, I'd have thought the club would've just chartered a flight and flown everyone in and out in a day.

    Just knock the season on the head, as usual the game makes an absolute fool of itself. I couldn't care less who wins the title to be honest.

  6. #6
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    St Helens
    Age
    36
    Posts
    7,788
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    I've updated the potential, if Hull KRs fixtures are voided, and the points go to Catalans and Wire, they're in green.

    Yellow is current position (I've put two in saints by mistake)




  7. #7
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St Helens , Lancashire.
    Posts
    1,362
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    More than likely they know the league will be finished today.

  8. #8
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St Helens , Lancashire.
    Posts
    1,362
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Only Leeds don't get punished for not travelling to Catalan.

  9. #9
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ashton
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10,011
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    More than likely they know the league will be finished today.
    That's my thinking. Playoffs to start this weekend perhaps. There have been no Round 21 games confirmed yet and empty slots on SKY Sunday and Monday. You'd think the fixtures would be finalised by now if they were going ahead.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

  10. #10
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    4,918
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    More than likely they know the league will be finished today.
    I think so too, I mentioned earlier it was suppose to be on last nights clubs meeting agenda. It's typical of RFL to lets things simmer before announcing anything.

  11. #11
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.
    Age
    48
    Posts
    12,271
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    That's my thinking. Playoffs to start this weekend perhaps. There have been no Round 21 games confirmed yet and empty slots on SKY Sunday and Monday. You'd think the fixtures would be finalised by now if they were going ahead.
    It will be announced one way or another today.

    The feeling was (according to the Hull Daily Mail) that the clubs were going to see things through to a conclusion, but that might change with today's latest capers. I get the feeling that Saints and Hull KR are two of the clubs trying to force the RFL's hand in to curtailing things.

    The worry is that if we forfeit this game, then we are left in a situation where we need to win one of our last two games to make the four, which we will need to do if Leeds win their last two games. I could quite feasibly see us losing to both Hull and Warrington. Resting players for Salford and not Wigan could bite us in the backside rather severely.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Borussia Dortmund, Preston North End, St. Helens Town, Steps 3 to 6 Non-League Football

  12. #12
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ashton
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10,011
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    It will be announced one way or another today.

    The feeling was (according to the Hull Daily Mail) that the clubs were going to see things through to a conclusion, but that might change with today's latest capers. I get the feeling that Saints and Hull KR are two of the clubs trying to force the RFL's hand in to curtailing things.

    The worry is that if we forfeit this game, then we are left in a situation where we need to win one of our last two games to make the four, which we will need to do if Leeds win their last two games. I could quite feasibly see us losing to both Hull and Warrington. Resting players for Salford and not Wigan could bite us in the backside rather severely.
    I can't see us forfeiting this game at all. The article I have read states that both Saints and The RFL asked Catalans to reverse the fixture, which suggests we may have the RFL onside.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

  13. #13
    WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    606
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I cannot understand why we have played the kids against Salford get it boxed off then play them! i cannot believe we have lost 100k and the hubcap after doing so well week after week. Also how can Hull KR just decide they aren't playing anymore? surely this can't happen?

  14. #14
    In The South Stand saintgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    eccleston
    Posts
    4,346
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by col81 View Post
    I cannot understand why we have played the kids against Salford get it boxed off then play them! i cannot believe we have lost 100k and the hubcap after doing so well week after week. Also how can Hull KR just decide they aren't playing anymore? surely this can't happen?
    Its a COVID outbreak at HKR.

  15. #15
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ashton
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10,011
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by col81 View Post
    I cannot understand why we have played the kids against Salford get it boxed off then play them! i cannot believe we have lost 100k and the hubcap after doing so well week after week. Also how can Hull KR just decide they aren't playing anymore? surely this can't happen?
    They've had a Covid outbreak apparently.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

  16. #16
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3,409
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by col81 View Post
    I cannot understand why we have played the kids against Salford get it boxed off then play them! i cannot believe we have lost 100k and the hubcap after doing so well week after week. Also how can Hull KR just decide they aren't playing anymore? surely this can't happen?
    I'll tell you why. Woolf doesn't know what he's doing.

  17. #17
    WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    606
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I am sure these things invlove Mike Rush and Eamon etc so it isn't fair to pin it on Woolf. Although i must say he is so miserable. Bring back Holbrook and his infectious ways. More excitement in Watson the other night about our players! he was teeing himself up for the job there!

  18. #18
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St Helens , Lancashire.
    Posts
    1,362
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    They can't really award the shield and prize money to one team after all the disruption.

  19. #19
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,753
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    They've had a Covid outbreak apparently.
    They have had 3 positive cases. So they're using that as an excuse to stop playing and get the entire club back on furlough. I can't say I blame them, they are doing what they can to survive. It's no doubt why they voted no to Toronto and will no doubt vote no to a 12th team replacing them. They want to keep that share of the TV money.

  20. #20
    In The South Stand 49er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,725
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    That's my thinking. Playoffs to start this weekend perhaps. There have been no Round 21 games confirmed yet and empty slots on SKY Sunday and Monday. You'd think the fixtures would be finalised by now if they were going ahead.
    Agree. Its either that they know the league will end today. Or they have made a calculated risk that its worth the forfeit to save risking players and hoping they will still make top four (if league remains as a top four play off).
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

  21. #21
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,271
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    They have had 3 positive cases. So they're using that as an excuse to stop playing and get the entire club back on furlough. I can't say I blame them, they are doing what they can to survive. It's no doubt why they voted no to Toronto and will no doubt vote no to a 12th team replacing them. They want to keep that share of the TV money.
    Where’s the number of positive tests been released?
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

  22. #22
    Starting A Programme Collection saint mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gone fishing
    Posts
    875
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    I can’t see it being top 4 if it finishes today.We will have to fill the weekends.between now and the GF to fill sky’s tv schedule so we have 3 weekends before the final I think top 5 would do that.Would that mean we play Wigan this weekend?

  23. #23
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ashton
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10,011
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saint mac View Post
    I can’t see it being top 4 if it finishes today.We will have to fill the weekends.between now and the GF to fill sky’s tv schedule so we have 3 weekends before the final I think top 5 would do that.Would that mean we play Wigan this weekend?
    If it's a top 5 system then top place would get a week off first.

    Week 1
    2nd v 3rd
    4th v 5th

    Week 2
    1st v 2nd
    3rd v 4th
    (assuming higher placed teams wins in week 1)

    Week 3
    2nd v 3rd

    Week 4 (GF)
    1st v 2nd
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

  24. #24
    Starting A Programme Collection saint mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gone fishing
    Posts
    875
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    If it's a top 5 system then top place would get a week off first.

    Week 1
    2nd v 3rd
    4th v 5th

    Week 2
    1st v 2nd
    3rd v 4th
    (assuming higher placed teams wins in week 1)

    Week 3
    2nd v 3rd

    Week 4 (GF)
    1st v 2nd
    Thanks YG

  25. #25
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    St Helens
    Age
    36
    Posts
    7,788
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    A top five playoff with Saints Vs Wire (no matter how they decide are 2nd and 3rd) and Catalans vs Hull is far more exciting than what we've got coming up

    All neutral venues maybe difficult though as the go to stadiums ate Leeds, saints and Wire

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •