Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 12 teams in Super League 2021 it is then

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    That still puts them in stronger position than most, with this kind of notice how many players could a team recruit of any quality. I am sure that if Fev got in they would run with a part time team and pocket the money. Which in fact would make them very responsible. A decade of financial stability for 26, fifty - nil drubbings and a surprise win against Hull FC?

Don't get me wrong, out of all the teams Toulouse make the most long term sense to the sport. However, given the issues that Catalan have had this year, what can we expect from a Toulouse team next year? Maybe we need to simply have a team with a solid professional squad i.e. London, in next year and some sort of Licensing/Hybrid system the year after and get them in then? Toulouse still play in Elite 1 so even of the Championship is shortened/scrapped then they are still playing matches.

However given that the clubs want a 27 game season next year, when crowds at games before April looks very unlikely shows that they are not thinking rationally at present.
    Its a shame that Covid may still be around at the start of next season, Toulouse would be a strong contender but I think we will probably need a UK based 12th team for 2021. The RFL have got to consider the possibility of a 3rd wave in France with different protocols between the UK and France especially as we are not in the EU next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    And, in yet another example of learning absolutely nothing from past mistakes, the new 12th SL club is apparently going to be operating on significantly less funding than the other 11 clubs. It would be unbelievable if it wasn’t also entirely predictable.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby...b-set-22961338
    If they’re going to do that then surely it would only be fair to exempt them from instant relegation for a season with a view to allowing them full funding for the next season?

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    If they’re going to do that then surely it would only be fair to exempt them from instant relegation for a season with a view to allowing them full funding for the next season?
    This is precisely the problem. As soon as you introduce a funding imbalance, you then have to start introducing all sorts of other artificial measures to account for it. Just either have a 12 team comp and share the funding fairly (my preferred option), or stick to 11.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

And, in yet another example of learning absolutely nothing from past mistakes, the new 12th SL club is apparently going to be operating on significantly less funding than the other 11 clubs. It would be unbelievable if it wasn’t also entirely predictable.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby...b-set-22961338
    Why should the RL and SL help the new club succeed? If they fail the authorities can prove they are up to the job by selecting another new team in a couple of years. They are talking approx 50K per cub less for the existing clubs, than if everyone is on an equal footing. That 50k could go toward Wakeys new stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Why should the RL and SL help the new club succeed? If they fail the authorities can prove they are up to the job by selecting another new team in a couple of years. They are talking approx 50K per cub less for the existing clubs, than if everyone is on an equal footing. That 50k could go toward Wakeys new stadium.
    On the flip side of that, why should they help ensure their failure? I'm not suggesting that they should have special treatment, just that the 12 clubs in the league should be treated equally.

EDIT: I'm thinking I might have missed a hint of irony in your post - apologies if so!

Got A Season Ticket

The clubs need to have their voting rights taken from them for certain issues and a board (for a better word) need to make decisions on what is best for the game. Too many small minded owners and chairmen making decisions to benefit themselves. And it will carry on until someone/group make a stand and say enough is enough!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

If Sunak is extending furlough until March that's a clear sign of the government's timetable, or is at least an acceptance that March is the earliest time that they expect things to improve. If we are thinking of starting the season in March I would be tempted to make March a Challenge Cup month and maybe play up to the QFs or even the SFs with limited crowds or empty stadiums. Then do home and away SL fixtures (22 rounds) and a Top 5 play off (with 2 weekends for the Cup Semi Finals and Final in June) over 28 weeks from the beginning of April until early October.

Clubs could sell 14 game season tickets giving access to the 11 home games, the Cup SF if they get there and 2 home play off games. If clubs only played the 11 give fans either a pro-rated discount or take it from their 2022 STs. It would maximise the potential for big Cup SF and play-off crowds and allow all clubs to get their full whack off the ST sales up front.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    If Sunak is extending furlough until March that's a clear sign of the government's timetable, or is at least an acceptance that March is the earliest time that they expect things to improve. If we are thinking of starting the season in March I would be tempted to make March a Challenge Cup month and maybe play up to the QFs or even the SFs with limited crowds or empty stadiums. Then do home and away SL fixtures (22 rounds) and a Top 5 play off (with 2 weekends for the Cup Semi Finals and Final in June) over 28 weeks from the beginning of April until early October.

Clubs could sell 14 game season tickets giving access to the 11 home games, the Cup SF if they get there and 2 home play off games. If clubs only played the 11 give fans either a pro-rated discount or take it from their 2022 STs. It would maximise the potential for big Cup SF and play-off crowds and allow all clubs to get their full whack off the ST sales up front.
    March is the projection for mass vaccination as well, so maybe stadiums will be opened up from April onwards.

Starting A Programme Collection

The March date has crept into a lot of discussions over the last month or two in what seems like a co-ordinated leak and too much of a coincidence for me. Whether you believe these things or not is down to each one of us.

I think your fixture proposal is a reasonable one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Seems like they're going to do Cups in March then SL start in April. I obviously agree with that!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Seems like they're going to do Cups in March then SL start in April. I obviously agree with that!
    Maybe week before good Friday for the league season, big crowd as a return, followed up by good crowds over Easter, and two games over Easter too

On the flip side of that, why should they help ensure their failure? I'm not suggesting that they should have special treatment, just that the 12 clubs in the league should be treated equally.

EDIT: I'm thinking I might have missed a hint of irony in your post - apologies if so!
    Sarcasm not irony.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/55057985

Wood seems to think that 13 months without administration qualifies you for SL. I hope not.

Banned

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/55057985

Wood seems to think that 13 months without administration qualifies you for SL. I hope not.
    I wouldn't let the chippy vacuum run a bath.

Bradford had a bit of success but were ultimately shown up as another mismanaged Yorkshire basket case with no real fan base, an absolute dump of a stadium and very little else. It shows exactly what they are that they have to play at Dewsbury.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post

Bradford had a bit of success but were ultimately shown up as another mismanaged Yorkshire basket case with no real fan base, an absolute dump of a stadium and very little else. It shows exactly what they are that they have to play at Dewsbury.
    The article says that they also want to increase revenue stream from stock car racing and speedway, good luck with that! Nothing against them but they're in an even worse state than Rugby League

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    The article says that they also want to increase revenue stream from stock car racing and speedway, good luck with that! Nothing against them but they're in an even worse state than Rugby League
    Followed by chicken in a basket and a turn from Chubby Brown?

Part of their strategy is a return to sodall stadium. Unfortunately the promise of a bit rent might get them the RL vote.

Banned

Part of their strategy is a return to sodall stadium. Unfortunately the promise of a bit rent might get them the RL vote.
    Quite possibly mate. And you know what, I hope they actually make a go of it if that's the case.

They most likely won't with that idiot involved but hey ho.

London have lost both Dixon and Butler this week. Their squad is starting to look weak.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quite possibly mate. And you know what, I hope they actually make a go of it if that's the case.

They most likely won't with that idiot involved but hey ho.
    It might have already been posted but I cba looking through the thread. This is an article from the total rugby league site ... Now normally I don't believe in conspiracy theories but ... https://www.totalrl.com/bringing-bac...-super-league/

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    It might have already been posted but I cba looking through the thread. This is an article from the total rugby league site ... Now normally I don't believe in conspiracy theories but ... https://www.totalrl.com/bringing-bac...-super-league/
    It stinks to high heaven. If totalrl are running a critical article then it must be suss. So Wood will end up with a say in Super league.

I will consider my investment into this basket case of a sport if they allow Bradford back in

You couldn't make it up. If you told a non RL fan this story they wouldn't believe it, the would say you are at least exaggerating the level of insider dealing.

Banned

Wow.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

It’s the RFL, if they wanted to bring in a club based in Greenland they’d create a set of ‘conditions’ to make them an eligible option. Personally I think a 14 team league with relegation would be better, then you could add Toulouse, Bradford and London (for example) but teams like Leigh, York, Halifax etc would still have the opportunity to earn their place.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    It’s the RFL, if they wanted to bring in a club based in Greenland they’d create a set of ‘conditions’ to make them an eligible option. Personally I think a 14 team league with relegation would be better, then you could add Toulouse, Bradford and London (for example) but teams like Leigh, York, Halifax etc would still have the opportunity to earn their place.
    I agree with that in theory but we're already struggling to get enough players for a 12 team league and then you get certain clubs moaning about spreading the TV money between more. In all honesty, I don't know what the answer is, it feels like the game is going down the toilet at the moment.