Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 12 teams in Super League 2021 it is then

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    I always considered that promotion should be on merit. However, it just doesn't seem to work.

Like it or not I think we need to revert to the idea of franchising and some sort of minimum standard certainly over stadia and player development.

I dont have a strong feeling for one particular club at the moment but during the course of the next few years I think it would be good to see Toulouse, London, York and Newcastle involved. All of those have decent grass roots and stadia befitting of the competition. They all have decent catchmet areas.

Quite honestly I think its high time that Wakefield and Castleford were given an ultimatum over playing stadia - you get it sorted or your out. They have stringed everybody along for long enough. As for Featherstone are an excellent community club but realistically how can a town with a 15,000 population ever seriousy bring much to the party?

Bradford - well how many times can one club go bust? In a ideal world we would welcome a strong Bradford playing in a decent venue. How is that going to happen though?

The game needs to decide now what it wants the competition to look like in a few years. Lets at last have a clear vision and a strategy to get us there. - Im not thinking that wil happen though as we dont have a visionary!
    Crystallises my views perfectly.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I personally hate licensing and I hope it never returns. I suspect, though, that it's inevitable that it will, given that the SL clubs now have control of how the competition is run. If they have an opportunity to secure their own place in SL in perpetuity (which, let's be honest, is exactly what a return to licensing will mean) they will grab it with both hands.
    I'm with you, I don't like licensing it takes away ambition for some of the the Championship teams. The other thing is that if we went to licensing in the next season or two. Wakey and Cas would probably still be in the same stadiums in 10 years. I like the atmosphere at those old grounds, but on TV they make the game look shabby, However if licensing goes toward us being sustainable as a professional sport, so be it,

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I'm with you, I don't like licensing it takes away ambition for some of the the Championship teams. The other thing is that if we went to licensing in the next season or two. Wakey and Cas would probably still be in the same stadiums in 10 years. I like the atmosphere at those old grounds, but on TV they make the game look shabby, However if licensing goes toward us being sustainable as a professional sport, so be it,
    I don't think what the stadium looks like on TV is the issue
    It's the experience in the ground itself and the ability to get punters through the turnstiles surely?

Banned

Let's be honest guys. This forum didn't make the rules. My club was playing in our historical home as were Salford. Wigan played in a rented stadium. Saints had the threat of demotion hanging over them, that is a fact and so did Salford. Saints got everything over the line, the cost being on the field for a number of years

Wakey and Cas, why did it just STOP. What would could be used about the controlling minds of the game. Inept. Incompetent. Biased. Influenced or much much stronger. Don't have short memories please.

It's the experience in the ground itself and the ability to get punters through the turnstiles surely?
    There are not many worse experiences that standing at Leeds when it's windy and throwing it down. I just think that at places like Wakey, looking at the apartment block behind and the man walking his dog, come across a bit like a semi pro sport.

Starting A Programme Collection

Perhaps a bit of both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    You’ve got a poor chance of getting a new French TV deal if you could lose one of the two sides at the end of the year as well. Give them an exemption from relegation for a period and sell it as you can show a French side at home each week.
    Jeez some common sense amidst all the nonsense.

Personally I'd boot Hull KR for voting to bin Toronto and then the very next day saying they couldn't fulfil their fixtures
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Liscening should be given to Toulouse for at least 3 seasons. The video they posted on twitter was fantastic, and completely sold the idea to me. No other club wanting to get into SL can offer what they can. Alot of clubs already in SL can't offer what they can. They deserve a chance.

https://youtu.be/h7R1K41eNOc

Banned

It clearly was an issue at some point, and we lost famous old grounds like KR, Central Park and The Boulevard whilst we kept shit tips like Belle Vue and Wheldon Road. Now current circumstances may be difficult but this isn't something that's happened over night. I get your point too, I like Wheldon Road, it's a proper old school ground but are you telling me they couldn't have improved it? You'd struggle to more than £15 worth of damage if you ran a JCB through it. Belle Vue quite frankly is a disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Liscening should be given to Toulouse for at least 3 seasons. The video they posted on twitter was fantastic, and completely sold the idea to me. No other club wanting to get into SL can offer what they can. Alot of clubs already in SL can't offer what they can. They deserve a chance.

Yep

To me they've nothing 'Toulouse'

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    It clearly was an issue at some point, and we lost famous old grounds like KR, Central Park and The Boulevard whilst we kept shit tips like Belle Vue and Wheldon Road. Now current circumstances may be difficult but this isn't something that's happened over night. I get your point too, I like Wheldon Road, it's a proper old school ground but are you telling me they couldn't have improved it? You'd struggle to more than £15 worth of damage if you ran a JCB through it. Belle Vue quite frankly is a disgrace.
    Wheldon Road is a great place to watch a game. One of my favourites you are right on top of the action. As was KR. Depending on your age we are used to it.
    However, like the Dunriding Lane end bogs there is no running water in some of Castleford's!
    If your trying to attract new fans particularly if your trying to nick from other sports or entertainment then the facilities may be a factor in drawing people back time and time again.
    It's 2020 and I suspect the latest generations possibly expect something different.
    I always recall Saints were threatened with expulsion due to KR. Not sure why different rules were applied in Yorkshire once all the Lancastrian sides got new homes.

Banned

Wheldon Road is a great place to watch a game. One of my favourites you are right on top of the action. As was KR. Depending on your age we are used to it.
    However, like the Dunriding Lane end bogs there is no running water in some of Castleford's!
    If your trying to attract new fans particularly if your trying to nick from other sports or entertainment then the facilities may be a factor in drawing people back time and time again.
    It's 2020 and I suspect the latest generations possibly expect something different.
    I always recall Saints were threatened with expulsion due to KR. Not sure why different rules were applied in Yorkshire once all the Lancastrian sides got new homes.
    That's what I was getting at. I still wish we'd have upgraded KR but I understand why it was sold and as much as Langtree will never be KR it's still arguably the best club ground of either code in the country.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

What they should do is have promotion and relegation every 3 years to allow any team coming into super league time to build.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    That's what I was getting at. I still wish we'd have upgraded KR but I understand why it was sold and as much as Langtree will never be KR it's still arguably the best club ground of either code in the country.
    I agree. As good as it was I wouldn't go back now.
    I just wish they had put terracing along the touch and not behind the goals.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Yep. A pop side at Langtree would be a game changer. They should have literally taken the KR blueprint and made the new ground based on that.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

What a great promotional video. A lot of the indoor photo's may not be entirely for RL but they show the potential. A good stadium, an established club with an academy and reserves, and a population of a million. Not keen on the Hybrid playing surface. Like you I think that whoever comes in needs to be exempt from relegation for 3 years, to avoid the yo yo effect something I posted on here a few months ago.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

It could have been worse. IIRC the original designs had standing at the corners!
    We should all remember that the fire at Bradford caused a major re-think around terracing, leading to all seaters being 'required'. This had only just been overturned in the run up to our own plans being drawn up.

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    It could have been worse. IIRC the original designs had standing at the corners!
    We should all remember that the fire at Bradford caused a major re-think around terracing, leading to all seaters being 'required'. This had only just been overturned in the run up to our own plans being drawn up.
    Yes you are correct.. Not sure who thought the corners was a great idea!

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Yes you are correct.. Not sure who thought the corners was a great idea!
    The same people who though a 'floating roof' without sides was a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Yep. A pop side at Langtree would be a game changer. They should have literally taken the KR blueprint and made the new ground based on that.
    That was a huge opportunity missed, and something I would love the fans to be able to talk to Eamon McManus about. I remember an interview with Kevin Sinfield, and he said playing at Knowsley Road was like being 2 tries down before the game had even started. The fans had a huge role to play in that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Absolutely. I still live in hope as it wouldn't be that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Yep

To me they've nothing 'Toulouse'
    ba dum tss

How much are we betting that Barrie McDermott says that every week they're on SKY and behind in the 2nd half?

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Leigh aren't full time. Some of them are (less than half I think) but not all of them.
    That still puts them in stronger position than most, with this kind of notice how many players could a team recruit of any quality. I am sure that if Fev got in they would run with a part time team and pocket the money. Which in fact would make them very responsible. A decade of financial stability for 26, fifty - nil drubbings and a surprise win against Hull FC?

Don't get me wrong, out of all the teams Toulouse make the most long term sense to the sport. However, given the issues that Catalan have had this year, what can we expect from a Toulouse team next year? Maybe we need to simply have a team with a solid professional squad i.e. London, in next year and some sort of Licensing/Hybrid system the year after and get them in then? Toulouse still play in Elite 1 so even of the Championship is shortened/scrapped then they are still playing matches.

However given that the clubs want a 27 game season next year, when crowds at games before April looks very unlikely shows that they are not thinking rationally at present.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Default 12 teams in Super League 2021 it is then

And, in yet another example of learning absolutely nothing from past mistakes, the new 12th SL club is apparently going to be operating on significantly less funding than the other 11 clubs. It would be unbelievable if it wasn’t also entirely predictable.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby...b-set-22961338