Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 teams in Super League 2021 it is then

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Starting A Programme Collection Ell Saint Blues's Avatar

Default 12 teams in Super League 2021 it is then

Agreed today.

Club sent a document on Friday that stated in this scenario "that the 12th club would be selected jointly by the RLF and SLE" (Gareth Walker).

Would do you want then?

I think Toulouse should be given a crack, a French derby.
    TRY rugby league at Blackbrook Royals : http://www.blackbrookrugby.co.uk/

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ell Saint Blues View Post
    Agreed today.

Club sent a document on Friday that stated in this scenario "that the 12th club would be selected jointly by the RLF and SLE" (Gareth Walker).

Would do you want then?

I think Toulouse should be given a crack, a French derby.
    Me too, For selfish reasons.

In The South Stand

If they are going to look at expansion Toulouse would be a good shout and at least it generates some domestic rivalry for Catalans.

In The South Stand

Toulouse is sensible expansion. A proven club in an RL area, should add more to the international game in developing France, should increase commercial/TV revenue from France and adds more local interest for Catalans.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

Learning All The Songs

Toulouse for me but I wish they had opted for a 14 team competition. I wonder how they will decide

In The South Stand

I'm in the same camp. We should go back to a 14 team competition.

In The South Stand

It’s totally pointless promoting Toulouse. Without a proper business plan between them, The RFL, Super League and the French Federation, they’ll be set up to fail as Toronto were. Given the late addition, they’d need a far bigger cap, relaxing of quota places, a guarantee against relegation and a space in the league for a minimum of 5 years.

That said, that sounds like too much hard work, so promote them anyway. It’s better than a day saver trip to Leigh.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post
    Toulouse is sensible expansion. A proven club in an RL area, should add more to the international game in developing France, should increase commercial/TV revenue from France and adds more local interest for Catalans.
    Agreed.

If not Toulouse, then London.

It'd be nice to have both (and lose Wakefield)

But I think we need a licencing system.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post
    so that's Toulouse out then, when has sense ever been the RFL's strong point.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

I thought I remembered that the new TV contracts were split between SL and the rest, ie the Cup and internationals. I assume that the second and third tiers will get some revenue from that part of the contract, albeit a far lower amount. If Sky do offer around £30m and the 12 SL clubs take the lot that’ll be more per club than they’re getting now, so IMO they’ll take a lower deal if the money isn’t going to anyone but themselves. Sky will have worked that out and know what they’re doing in such discussions.

I assume the BBC will keep the Cup for £2m a year or something, and they’ve already signed a deal for the World Cup. How much of that money filters down to the lower leagues I’m not sure, but it won’t be a great deal.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ell Saint Blues View Post
    Agreed today.

Would do you want then?
    London, but they'll probably pick Chicken Town.

Given the players Toulouse have been signing I’m wondering if they already know that they’re in.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Given the players Toulouse have been signing I’m wondering if they already know that they’re in.
    It has to be a given surely they wouldn't mortgage them self without some kind of assurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Thinking exactly the same thing mate
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

It will be down to financial stability in the end with each club in the running having to make a bid I suppose.

Default 12 teams in Super League 2021 it is then

And, in yet another example of learning absolutely nothing from past mistakes, the new 12th SL club is apparently going to be operating on significantly less funding than the other 11 clubs. It would be unbelievable if it wasn’t also entirely predictable.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby...b-set-22961338

And, in yet another example of learning absolutely nothing from past mistakes, the new 12th SL club is apparently going to be operating on significantly less funding than the other 11 clubs. It would be unbelievable if it wasn’t also entirely predictable.

If they’re going to do that then surely it would only be fair to exempt them from instant relegation for a season with a view to allowing them full funding for the next season?

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    If they’re going to do that then surely it would only be fair to exempt them from instant relegation for a season with a view to allowing them full funding for the next season?
    This is precisely the problem. As soon as you introduce a funding imbalance, you then have to start introducing all sorts of other artificial measures to account for it. Just either have a 12 team comp and share the funding fairly (my preferred option), or stick to 11.

Why should the RL and SL help the new club succeed? If they fail the authorities can prove they are up to the job by selecting another new team in a couple of years. They are talking approx 50K per cub less for the existing clubs, than if everyone is on an equal footing. That 50k could go toward Wakeys new stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Why should the RL and SL help the new club succeed? If they fail the authorities can prove they are up to the job by selecting another new team in a couple of years. They are talking approx 50K per cub less for the existing clubs, than if everyone is on an equal footing. That 50k could go toward Wakeys new stadium.
    On the flip side of that, why should they help ensure their failure? I'm not suggesting that they should have special treatment, just that the 12 clubs in the league should be treated equally.

EDIT: I'm thinking I might have missed a hint of irony in your post - apologies if so!

Got A Season Ticket

The clubs need to have their voting rights taken from them for certain issues and a board (for a better word) need to make decisions on what is best for the game. Too many small minded owners and chairmen making decisions to benefit themselves. And it will carry on until someone/group make a stand and say enough is enough!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

If Sunak is extending furlough until March that's a clear sign of the government's timetable, or is at least an acceptance that March is the earliest time that they expect things to improve. If we are thinking of starting the season in March I would be tempted to make March a Challenge Cup month and maybe play up to the QFs or even the SFs with limited crowds or empty stadiums. Then do home and away SL fixtures (22 rounds) and a Top 5 play off (with 2 weekends for the Cup Semi Finals and Final in June) over 28 weeks from the beginning of April until early October.

Clubs could sell 14 game season tickets giving access to the 11 home games, the Cup SF if they get there and 2 home play off games. If clubs only played the 11 give fans either a pro-rated discount or take it from their 2022 STs. It would maximise the potential for big Cup SF and play-off crowds and allow all clubs to get their full whack off the ST sales up front.

On the flip side of that, why should they help ensure their failure? I'm not suggesting that they should have special treatment, just that the 12 clubs in the league should be treated equally.

EDIT: I'm thinking I might have missed a hint of irony in your post - apologies if so!
    Sarcasm not irony.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/55057985

Wood seems to think that 13 months without administration qualifies you for SL. I hope not.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Season to start 11th March
    13 home/away games plus magic