Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: State of Origin 2020

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Team news for Origin 2:

New South Wales
    Cordner and Murray injured, Keary dropped. Walker and Crichton to start. Finucane, Brown and Yeo come on to the bench.

1. James Tedesco (c)
    2. Daniel Tupou
    3. Clint Gutherson
    4. Jack Wighton
    5. Josh Addo-Carr
    6. Cody Walker
    7. Nathan Cleary
    8. Daniel Saifiti
    9. Damien Cook
    10. Payne Haas
    11. Angus Crichton
    12. Tyson Frizell
    13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Dale Finucane
    15. Junior Paulo
    16. Nathan Brown
    17. Isaah Yeo

Queensland
    Brimson and Welch injured, Hess dropped. Holmes, Lui and Fotuaika come in.

1. Valentine Holmes
    2. Xavier Coates
    3. Kurt Capewell
    4. Dane Gagai
    5. Phillip Sami
    6. Cameron Munster
    7. Daly Cherry-Evans (c)
    8. Dunamis Lui
    9. Jake Friend
    10. Josh Papalii
    11. Felise Kaufusi
    12. Jaydn Su’a
    13. Tino Fa’asuameleau

14. Ben Hunt
    15. Lindsay Collins
    16. Jai Arrow
    17. Moeaki Fotuaika
    Im surprised Queensland kept Hunt in the 17.

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk

Boyd Cordner has dropped out of the rest of the series now....

http://bit.ly/CordO2
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Boyd Cordner has dropped out of the rest of the series now....

http://bit.ly/CordO2
    I was surprised he came back on, he looked well out of it and he’s got a history of concussions.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Im surprised Queensland kept Hunt in the 17.

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk
    What game were you watching? Hunt was immense in game 1. Added a lot of spark in the middle of the field. His run and offload got things going for the Gagai bark for the Coates try.

I’m not a huge Hunt fan but he was strong on Wednesday and deserves to keep his spot

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Tom Vol View Post
    6 tries scored & 3 off them by Melbourne players. Nice one The Storm.
    The Storm contingent did well.

Cameron Munster typifies what QLD is about. His effort on kick chases, picking up up scraps (As fir thus try), offloads and kicking game were excellent. I am a Storm fan and biased but he was easily best on the field.

Addo Carr is lightning quick live. He also does massive things defensively and runs with a particular style when carting the ball up to avoid getting picked up and dragged back like he used to. However, his attacking prowess abs ability to score length of the field tries is what stands out the most. Big loss when He leaves Storm for 2021 although there is a cheeky rumour going round he might stay...

Quote Originally Posted by Saint in Queensland View Post
    The Storm contingent did well.

Cameron Munster typifies what QLD is about. His effort on kick chases, picking up up scraps (As fir thus try), offloads and kicking game were excellent. I am a Storm fan and biased but he was easily best on the field.

Addo Carr is lightning quick live. He also does massive things defensively and runs with a particular style when carting the ball up to avoid getting picked up and dragged back like he used to. However, his attacking prowess abs ability to score length of the field tries is what stands out the most. Big loss when He leaves Storm for 2021 although there is a cheeky rumour going round he might stay...
    If I was a coach at Saints I’d be sitting Grace down and making him scrutinise everything that Addo-Carr does. No better winger for him to model himself on at the moment in terms.

If I was a coach at Saints I’d be sitting Grace down and making him scrutinise everything that Addo-Carr does. No better winger for him to model himself on at the moment in terms.
    Aye.

Trying to envisage England's three quarters coping with Australia's in a test match.

Bigger, fitter, faster, stronger.

Any loose balls, dropped passes or anything addo carr intercepts will cost us 6 points because no one is catching him if he gets space

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Aye.

Trying to envisage England's three quarters coping with Australia's in a test match.

Bigger, fitter, faster, stronger.

Any loose balls, dropped passes or anything addo carr intercepts will cost us 6 points because no one is catching him if he gets space
    For as long as I can remember (20 years or so) Australia’s back 5 have been bigger, faster and more skilful. We’ve occasionally matched them in the forwards but never in the backs.

For as long as I can remember (20 years or so) Australia’s back 5 have been bigger, faster and more skilful. We’ve occasionally matched them in the forwards but never in the backs.
    Yes you're right.

I look player for player now & think it's more noticeable than ever. I've also wondered why a lot of aussie outside backs can play winger, centre and fullback without a problem on the biggest stage

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Yes you're right.

I look player for player now & think it's more noticeable than ever. I've also wondered why a lot of aussie outside backs can play winger, centre and fullback without a problem on the biggest stage
    More participation equals more players to choose from. The NRL claim 850,000 participants across all junior, senior and touch rugby league in Australia in 2019, in the UK it was 63,000 for 2019 and 90% of that is probably just in Lancashire/Yorkshire.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Goes back a lot longer than 20 years. In the 1976 WCC our centres were Derek Noonan and Eddie Cunningham, neither of them was 13 stone. Easts centres were Jonny Brass and Mark Harris. Harris was well over 17 stone and jonny Brass was around the 16 stone mark. one of the biggest mis match for size I have seen.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 7th November 2020 at 15:49. Reason: typo

Once again looking forward to this one. NSW desperately need win or level this next one. With them bringing in Walker to partner Cleary, they hope to get more control than they did with Keary and Cleary. It's just if they can get the time or the space to do so?

Munster and DCE look fine so game on, fast and furious part two.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

More participation equals more players to choose from. The NRL claim 850,000 participants across all junior, senior and touch rugby league in Australia in 2019, in the UK it was 63,000 for 2019 and 90% of that is probably just in Lancashire/Yorkshire.
    This is the key thing. For what we have we usually just about punch our weight given the players we have to choose from, whereas just getting a contract with an NRL club down there means you've beaten out some decent competition along the way. To then play Origin or get a Test jumper means you are top of a very big and very talented pile, even if they occasionally promote a few that don't work out.

I flew from Hobart to Sydney a few years back and you know you're getting closer to Sydney when you notice the dozens of little green rectangles that litter the landscape below you, and realise that they are there for RL. Hundreds of clubs all over NSW and southern Queensland produce really good young players that then filter into the NRL system over time. We struggle to even get RL played in schools of supposedly 'rugby league towns' nowadays, whilst down there you can barely walk round a corner without seeing a field and some posts. It's the same in Melbourne with Aussie Rules, there are ovals everywhere and there are hundreds of clubs at all ages that feed into the AFL system.

Of course, they have a better climate most of the year, and the rewards for making it are greater and must have some influence. But when you are the main sport in two states it makes a massive difference in terms of the support you get, the infrastructure that gets built and the levels of coaching they must have right down the chain. We have that here with football, it's no different really. But we don't have it in RL, nowhere near it infact. We are relying on finding a crop of players from a smaller pot and hoping they will be able to compete with lads who have been playing pretty high level RL from a pretty young age and who then play in a far better and more intense weekly comp at professional level. With so many of our better players going down there to play we are perhaps now relying on this as a way to beat them, but even then there's no guarantee, and we also risk our national side losing a bit of its soul and identity if it becomes a load of ex-pats who live in Australia and only come back to play for England/GB for a few weeks every year.

Great to see the video ref able to look at something and make a quick decision rather than spending 5 minutes looking at every angle 12 times.

Starting A Programme Collection

Great to see the video ref able to look at something and make a quick decision rather than spending 5 minutes looking at every angle 12 times.
    And the competed high ball involving Coates where they both challenged for the ball playing on. The game would be stopped for a penalty here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSW really throwing it all into this game. That kick into the corner for Aldo-carr to chase was brilliant!

Deserved a try, but he’s got one now anyway!

To lose Munster at such an early stage has damage QL big style, such a key man. The NSW halves are doing great, it's going to be very hard for QL to get anything out of this one now.

One way traffic here, ado carr and Tedesco are try scoring machines in fairness

Their Paulo is bigger than ours. Look at the size of him.
    Imagine feeding him for a month.

That was more like the performance I expected of NSW last week. Dominated in every aspect. I know QLD lost Munster very early but it’s hard to think he’d have made much of a difference with NSW dominating possession and field position. Even though the score line wasn’t as close as last week this felt like a proper origin match as well. All set up for a cracker next week.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

It didn’t really feel like an origin match to me.

There are lots of new players that havn’t been brought through when the likes of Gallen, Thaiday, Hodges, Bird were playing and I feel like the hate for each other may have been lost a bit. Apart from that little scrap in the second half they were playing like mates against mates.

In The South Stand

What a really great entertaining game. Two teams that are made up of the best "Down Under" can offer, brilliant. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Then I had a cup of tea and a think. When the best two teams in SL met the other week, it was a boring slug fest. The SKY muppets lauded the "intensity", but all it was was downright thuggery. Sure there was some fisticuffs in the SoO, but I was watching out for flops, lying on and third man in. These things just did not occur. I presume the Aussies have got rid of this by penalising it? The result was a really physical, pacey, skilful watch. Comparing that to the snide lying on, third (or fourth) man in on the prone ball carrier in the Saints Wigan game and that tells you all you need to know why the game in Aus is so much better. If officials here stopped the style of play that the likes of Wigan are allowed to get away with, then the game would halt its downward spiral, improve its appeal, attract new fans and new investors. However whilst SKY promote such rubbish anti-rugby tactics they will preside over the games decline. Probably why they're putting money in to darts and netball.

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    It didn’t really feel like an origin match to me.

There are lots of new players that havn’t been brought through when the likes of Gallen, Thaiday, Hodges, Bird were playing and I feel like the hate for each other may have been lost a bit. Apart from that little scrap in the second half they were playing like mates against mates.
    To be fair it’s not been like that for a few years now. The hate factor has been penalized out of the game in the majority.

Banned

Aye, enjoyed that myself considering I wasn't holding much hope for the series. It goes to show the game can be played and officiated properly without spoiling tactics and poor refereeing. Yes, they're the best players in the world but they're not superhuman.

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    What a really great entertaining game. Two teams that are made up of the best "Down Under" can offer, brilliant. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Then I had a cup of tea and a think. When the best two teams in SL met the other week, it was a boring slug fest. The SKY muppets lauded the "intensity", but all it was was downright thuggery. Sure there was some fisticuffs in the SoO, but I was watching out for flops, lying on and third man in. These things just did not occur. I presume the Aussies have got rid of this by penalising it? The result was a really physical, pacey, skilful watch. Comparing that to the snide lying on, third (or fourth) man in on the prone ball carrier in the Saints Wigan game and that tells you all you need to know why the game in Aus is so much better. If officials here stopped the style of play that the likes of Wigan are allowed to get away with, then the game would halt its downward spiral, improve its appeal, attract new fans and new investors. However whilst SKY promote such rubbish anti-rugby tactics they will preside over the games decline. Probably why they're putting money in to darts and netball.
    I thought exactly the same. While our players may be a step down from those on show today our whole game is miles behind as a spectacle. You wouldn't think it's the same game on occasions. Pace, speed of thought, dynamic, forwards laying a platform then magic from the backs. No faffing about but a significant difference is the refereeing. We seem to stunt the play and focus on the wrong things. For example today 2 players competing for a high ball was allowed to go even when ball catcher rolled as there was no intent simply 2 blokes competing fairly for the ball. Also lying on and the wrestle was minimal. What on earth are we trying to achieve here is beyond me when I see what could be on display or at least something close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk