Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: 63 years ago today, I think.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Default 63 years ago today, I think.

I think it was mentioned last week that it was the anniversary of Vollenhoven's first game for Saints.

His second game was at Knowsley Road the following weekend in the A team against either Workington or Whitehaven and that was that was my first ever game; so if I've got my sums right its 63yrs ago today, assuming that both games were on a Saturday

I was only 7 yrs old, my dad took me, I went in the boys pen behind the post and my dad stood on the terraces just the other side of the wall .

I remember Voll scoring.

A few years ago an article in the Star or Reporter said it was still a record attendance for an A team match.

He certainly had everyone buzzing.

Just curious if theres anyone else on here who was there that day.

Learning All The Songs

I remember he came the season after i first watched Saints. Strange situation. I was around 8 or 9. I got on the bus at Rainhill to go to Thatto Heath Empire matinee. I wondered where every one was going on the bus and stayed on the bus and followed them. Ended up at Knowsley Road. I think I paid 9p to go on the popular side. It seemed to be a punch up most weeks with contested scrums. Bill Major butted someone and they shot back 6 foot. He was not sent off. There was very big crowds at the time. I remember Saints getting beat against I think Leigh. I was nearly crying. Voll got the ball and beat a couple up the line. The fullback tackled him round the legs and like he use to do he shimmied out of the tackle and scored. Great days. Voll, Murphy, Karalius, Huddart.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    I think it was mentioned last week that it was the anniversary of Vollenhoven's first game for Saints.

His second game was at Knowsley Road the following weekend in the A team against either Workington or Whitehaven and that was that was my first ever game; so if I've got my sums right its 63yrs ago today, assuming that both games were on a Saturday

I was only 7 yrs old, my dad took me, I went in the boys pen behind the post and my dad stood on the terraces just the other side of the wall .

I remember Voll scoring.

A few years ago an article in the Star or Reporter said it was still a record attendance for an A team match.

From Transvaal to workintgton , that must have been a shock !.

Nice to hear some old stories . I’m way to young to have seen him albeit I grew up listens to stories about the saints back in the day . I met Voll in Pretoria when on a rugby tour . Had a good chat with him which was fantastic and a privilege . A lovely man .

Learning All The Songs

When I saw the thread title I thought it was another mickey take on Warrington!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    From Transvaal to workintgton , that must have been a shock !.

Nice to hear some old stories . I’m way to young to have seen him albeit I grew up listens to stories about the saints back in the day . I met Voll in Pretoria when on a rugby tour . Had a good chat with him which was fantastic and a privilege . A lovely man .
    Same here, I used to love hearing all the stories told my older relatives when I was a kid about the Voll, Kileen, Karalius and all the rest. It shaped my ideas about RL to be honest and then going as a kid through the 80's & 90's gave me the romance of the game, I don't care if that sounds soft, it's true. It's probably part of the reason I'm so dismayed at the state of the game currently too.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    When I saw the thread title I thought it was another mickey take on Warrington!
    I wish...it’s a tad longer than that.
    (RJM25R you probably don’t realise that smell doesn’t carry over the internet, so if you can smell a “stench” it may be time for your nappy change).

Banned

I remember Voll scoring.

When I saw the title of the thread I though it was going to say it was Warrington's year then realised it was actually longer ago than that!

Learning All The Songs

I was there too! My Dad took me, aged 7 and my cousin, aged 10. He thought it was ok as it was an ‘A ‘ team game and wouldn't be too crowded. It was my first match and I was really excited. Imagine my horror when we had to go in the boys pen. I didn't notice any other girls in there! Vague memories of lots of cheering when Voll got the ball even though I didn't know who he was at the time or what was going on really.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I remember Voll scoring.

I was in the boys pen. But must be honest don't remember much about the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Same here, I used to love hearing all the stories told my older relatives when I was a kid about the Voll, Kileen, Karalius and all the rest. It shaped my ideas about RL to be honest and then going as a kid through the 80's & 90's gave me the romance of the game, I don't care if that sounds soft, it's true. It's probably part of the reason I'm so dismayed at the state of the game currently too.
    Absolutely ! the same for me . I was lucky to go to all the finals from 83 onwards . My folks took me along being a avid fans of the game . For me it was like going to Mecca after all the stories from finals . Killed me When the old Wembley went . Last year was heart breaking . I took my son for the first time and sitting in a half empty stadium , no atmosphere I thought how have we ended up at this .

I can still remember moments from most of the finals I went to vividly , Henderson Gills smile , Jamie sandy for cas scoring in the corner , Fairburn at full back for Hull KR seemed able to jump 20 ft in the air .... now, I can’t remember who played in the final 3 yrs ago . Magical things happened in them finals . ( bobbies bombs ect .)as a kid I’d ask my folks which wing was it that Volland ken large ran down to score that epic try? Which end did Don fox miss that goal? And then visualise it happening . As a kid it was awesome . We have lost something and it’s really sad . I sit down with my my lads and occasionally watch old finals such as 96 /97 in the hope of giving him the same inspiration I had . My folks passed on the batten to me and I’m thankful for that

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    Absolutely ! the same for me . I was lucky to go to all the finals from 83 onwards . My folks took me along being a avid fans of the game . For me it was like going to Mecca after all the stories from finals . Killed me When the old Wembley went . Last year was heart breaking . I took my son for the first time and sitting in a half empty stadium , no atmosphere I thought how have we ended up at this .

I can still remember moments from most of the finals I went to vividly , Henderson Gills smile , Jamie sandy for cas scoring in the corner , Fairburn at full back for Hull KR seemed able to jump 20 ft in the air .... now, I can’t remember who played in the final 3 yrs ago . Magical things happened in them finals . ( bobbies bombs ect .)as a kid I’d ask my folks which wing was it that Volland ken large ran down to score that epic try? Which end did Don fox miss that goal? And then visualise it happening . As a kid it was awesome . We have lost something and it’s really sad . I sit down with my my lads and occasionally watch old finals such as 96 /97 in the hope of giving him the same inspiration I had . My folks passed on the batten to me and I’m thankful for that
    Fantastic post, real treasure & great memories to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Spot on, same here. Everyone is obviously more in awe of new stuff when they're kids, but going to KR with my mates on my road on a Sunday afternoon (especially in nice weather) was the best thing when I was a kid. The sights, the sounds, the smells, it was all fantastic even if there were only 8,000 there, and then knowing loads of other mates from school had been there and we'd chat about it all on the Monday made it even better. I loved it all, and if we had an away game too far for me to go I'd pop down the road to Naughton Park and watch a game there as well just to watch Davies, Tait, Offiah and co, because going to a game was just a load of fun. I barely watch anything not involving Saints in the comfort of my house on my TV now, let alone cadge money off my mum and wait around for buses that never showed up just to go and watch a game of RL because I loved it so much.

I suppose there were boring games and bad afternoons back then, and we all see things in a more romantic way than maybe half of them actually were, but they were good days and I'm glad (in so many ways) that I was a kid then before the internet and smart phones where I had to get off and out to experience things like watching a game of RL. I see kids at LP now and it must be fun for them as well, but I do think Friday evenings must be a pain for them and their parents half the time. I wish we played more Sunday games because I reckon it'd leave them with more memories like the ones we have from back in the day.

Default Vol

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Spot on, same here. Everyone is obviously more in awe of new stuff when they're kids, but going to KR with my mates on my road on a Sunday afternoon (especially in nice weather) was the best thing when I was a kid. The sights, the sounds, the smells, it was all fantastic even if there were only 8,000 there, and then knowing loads of other mates from school had been there and we'd chat about it all on the Monday made it even better. I loved it all, and if we had an away game too far for me to go I'd pop down the road to Naughton Park and watch a game there as well just to watch Davies, Tait, Offiah and co, because going to a game was just a load of fun. I barely watch anything not involving Saints in the comfort of my house on my TV now, let alone cadge money off my mum and wait around for buses that never showed up just to go and watch a game of RL because I loved it so much.

I suppose there were boring games and bad afternoons back then, and we all see things in a more romantic way than maybe half of them actually were, but they were good days and I'm glad (in so many ways) that I was a kid then before the internet and smart phones where I had to get off and out to experience things like watching a game of RL. I see kids at LP now and it must be fun for them as well, but I do think Friday evenings must be a pain for them and their parents half the time. I wish we played more Sunday games because I reckon it'd leave them with more memories like the ones we have from back in the day.
    Unfortunately I just missed Tom Van Vol but my Dad always went on about how good he was, I started watching Saints about 1969 and seen some great Saints teams and great memories at Wembley 1972 1976 early ones ! My dad got me a job at the old foundry where Tesco is now in Haydock when I was 16 and there was a coach which dropped workers off from the Wigan company every day and the rivalry was unbelievable but apart from the rugby they where some of the best work mates I ever had the pleasure to meet and we had so much fun.still miss it till this day.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I was in the boys pen. But must be honest don't remember much about the game.
    Old fella sent me into the boys pen for the first season and then a couple of seasons sat on the wall at the popular side. When I was a young kid had surgery at Providence Hospital that was in 1961, Saints Wembley team came into the children ward, Huddart, Dagnall and I think Terry came over bedside with the cup. The trophy stank of beer, always remembered that bit.

Didn't manage to meet Murphy and Vollenhoven they were talking to the kids on the other side of the ward.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post

Totally agree. I've mentioned on here before I vividly remember my first away game at Halifax and that fat pudding Brendan Hill plodding through the mud, Wilf George and laughing at his name with my mate and loads of those Yorkshire aways after we'd played in the morning.

You're right, it isn't the same anymore, my nephew has been going a couple of years with his Dad and my Dad but outside the actual match barely shows any interest, has never played a game or even had a proper kick about as far as I know, makes me a bit sad to be honest but I guess kids today have a lot more to occupy them.

Banned

Sadly I see it as a bigger problem. St Helens is fast becoming a satalite town with its identity ebbing away. Widnes a proper rugby league town the game is losing relevance by the season. I feel St Helens can still halt the slide but it needs Schools RL at primary level to really push the game, even tag or tick. It's pushing back against the football mad place next door. We used to pride ourselves being wools and different and pushing back against the mushrooms. Now kids from Windle and other pockets are walking around with fake scouse accents. Identity and relevance lose it and you never get it back.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Old fella sent me into the boys pen for the first season and then a couple of seasons sat on the wall at the popular side. When I was a young kid had surgery at Providence Hospital that was in 1961, Saints Wembley team came into the children ward, Huddart, Dagnall and I think Terry came over bedside with the cup. The trophy stank of beer, always remembered that bit.

Didn't manage to meet Murphy and Vollenhoven they were talking to the kids on the other side of the ward.
    A great memory.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Sadly I see it as a bigger problem. St Helens is fast becoming a satalite town with its identity ebbing away. Widnes a proper rugby league town the game is losing relevance by the season. I feel St Helens can still halt the slide but it needs Schools RL at primary level to really push the game, even tag or tick. It's pushing back against the football mad place next door. We used to pride ourselves being wools and different and pushing back against the mushrooms. Now kids from Windle and other pockets are walking around with fake scouse accents. Identity and relevance lose it and you never get it back.
    Windle has become shocking for it. At least when we were young hooligans in the area growing up we did it with proper accents and went so Saints.

Seriously though, I know what you mean. As I mentioned earlier kids have so much more to do these days but not only that, at 10 (my nephews age) I was out most nights after school playing football, rugby or just generally ••••ing about, even in winter. I could walk around the local area, go over the field and knew to be home for my tea at half 5. I could also feed myself if I had to, make a brew, clean my footie boots/school shoes properly and iron a shirt. I doubt a lot of kids these days could boil a kettle or even know what an iron is.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    When I was at school, for games lesson the teacher used to pick two teams to play rugby, then he would ref. The others were told to go onto the next pitch and play football as they would not get hurt while they were not being supervised.
    We played rugby the whole year round. In the summer the cricket team had to practice during their lunchtime. Expect things have changed since then.

Banned

When I was at school, for games lesson the teacher used to pick two teams to play rugby, then he would ref. The others were told to go onto the next pitch and play football as they would not get hurt while they were not being supervised.
    We played rugby the whole year round. In the summer the cricket team had to practice during their lunchtime. Expect things have changed since then.
    Lucky you, we had to do crap like cross country and basketball. Still managed to get plenty of Rugby and Football as 1 of our PE teachers was a well respected RU ref and another was an Amateur football bigwig, the third was a Warrington fan and a total prick.

Lucky you, we had to do crap like cross country and basketball. Still managed to get plenty of Rugby and Football as 1 of our PE teachers was a well respected RU ref and another was an Amateur football bigwig, the third was a Warrington fan and a total prick.
    Our PE teacher got jailed for getting one of his student pregnant.

Banned

Our PE teacher got jailed for getting one of his student pregnant.
    I don't recall any paedo teachers although one of the Brothers was suspect. I may have told this story before, me and my mates had been drinking our usual Friday night cider or whatever and gone to the game against Wire, after the game which we naturally won we're walking past the away end giving them grief. Soft lad here was giving the double V's to the whole end and guest who see's me? The •••• made run laps at games the week after and tried to get me in bother with the head master. Got my own back on him though, I went over school one parents evening, let all the tyres down on his Shogun and drew a big V in the muck on his back window. I know he knew it was me and a right song and dance was made, they even called an assembly saying the coppers were going to finger print his car unless the vandal came forward. Not a chance was I falling for that nonsense, especially when I'd used a cloth to do to get it really wide. I seen him again at the match a few years after I'd left and grown 6", I took great pleasure in coming forward then.

I don't recall any paedo teachers although one of the Brothers was suspect. I may have told this story before, me and my mates had been drinking our usual Friday night cider or whatever and gone to the game against Wire, after the game which we naturally won we're walking past the away end giving them grief. Soft lad here was giving the double V's to the whole end and guest who see's me? The •••• made run laps at games the week after and tried to get me in bother with the head master. Got my own back on him though, I went over school one parents evening, let all the tyres down on his Shogun and drew a big V in the muck on his back window. I know he knew it was me and a right song and dance was made, they even called an assembly saying the coppers were going to finger print his car unless the vandal came forward. Not a chance was I falling for that nonsense, especially when I'd used a cloth to do to get it really wide. I seen him again at the match a few years after I'd left and grown 6", I took great pleasure in coming forward then.
    I remember being about 14 and the school took us to see and England cricket game at OT I was with Brian Hogan and he insisted that we slip into the Marquee tent for a couple of beers. We were just walking out with a pint each when we bumped into a teacher,
    We were called out at the next assembly and given a dressing down in front of the whole school about how we had let the whole school down.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Some good memories on here.
    Clive Powell aka Georgie Fame, played in the same school team as Frankie Parr, and was also good mates with Billy Boston. He wrote a great poem, an ode to Billy B and did a performance with some of his band for Billys testimonial at the Riverside, he must have done three hours, just sat down played and sang, fantastic afternoon. Also reminds me of the Beachcomber club in Leigh!!

Brian Hogan, his ex wife was a good friend of my mrs and we used to go out for a meal and a drink together.
    Wigan were playing Workington and we passed the players as they were having a walk in Ambleside to break their journey up. Hogan jumped into our car and waved to all the other players as we passed them. I don't think Eric Ashton was best pleased.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Our PE teacher at Parr Cent use to send us out for a couple of laps of the field in bare feet to warm us up, but one morning it was frost and ice but he still sent us out. When we played Rugby we were treated a bit better but the softer lads were sent off to play soccer.

In the inter schools rugby there was a monster of a lad from Edmund Campion School, a couple of us were given the job of flattening him early doors otherwise we were going to lose the game.