Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Missing Percy and a game plan

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    The problem is that people are taking the hype too seriously and instantly start judging as though they are finished articles. We've had loads of young players who have started their careers with weaknesses, like I've just mentioned Wello was a classic one. We've had a few wingers who needed a dustbin lid to catch a ball and fans wanted to get rid, off the top of my head Les Jones, Ade Gardner, Francis Meli, Adam Swift struggled for earlier periods in their career. The great Tom Van Vollenhoven struggled catching a ball as well in his early games, that was were the "coconut" gag came from.

It will also only take a few poor games from Dodd for fans to doubt him, expectations are high in Superleague but kids still need time to develop and progress perhaps a bit longer than what fans will tolerate.
    I think the issue that a lot of people have is that we have seen in the past 3-4 weeks and against Salford, that we have plenty of youngsters that could play in the first team in their own position, if they had 12 other first teamers with them. But Woolf's policy has been Welsby plays no matter which player is missing and no matter what position it is. And to be honest he hasn't been particularly good at any of them. Though about 3 weeks ago I remember him having one of his better games at centre and he did stand up to the physical stuff from Wigan.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I'll just make the point now. I bet he doesn't drop Welsby for the next game.
    And this is entirely the point. Logic suggests he should reduce his exposure to get back on firmer ground so to speak, a lot can see that he's always first to be slotted in somewhere and I just don't understand it. I do wonder if KW is being encouraged/made to make it work in some way to protect the clubs investment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

I watched most of Vollenhovens games Belgian but i dont remember that game that he dropped the ball , i must still have been mavellinging at how he was beeting man after man .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    I watched most of Vollenhovens games Belgian but i dont remember that game that he dropped the ball , i must still have been mavellinging at how he was beeting man after man .
    It was a joke by Duggie Greenall when Vol came over he struggled to catch a ball from a kick or a lofted pass , one or two players said use a coconut. Older fans might remember a "Calypso 45 Vinyl Record" my old fella bought it for me and the event was on there.

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

It's not a new thing to involve young players in the first team and use them as utility fill-ins just to grow their game experience. Wellens was used in various positions before slotting in at full back, Lomax was used all over, Roby (with both Cunningham & Higham ahead of him) was utility off the bench, Paul Anderson (not that one) was used all the place. Although that's possibly due to be a "first team" squad player, with the physical difference between academy to first team being quite large.

I do find it strange when we have a whole host of decent young players that we are reliant on one to fill in, when there are players more suited to the position available.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think the issue that a lot of people have is that we have seen in the past 3-4 weeks and against Salford, that we have plenty of youngsters that could play in the first team in their own position, if they had 12 other first teamers with them. But Woolf's policy has been Welsby plays no matter which player is missing and no matter what position it is. And to be honest he hasn't been particularly good at any of them. Though about 3 weeks ago I remember him having one of his better games at centre and he did stand up to the physical stuff from Wigan.
    Yes, he's been used too much as a utility player but my point is that some on here are over critical to the player himself, we've had comments that he is a championship player or over comparing his performance against experienced players like Coote, Makinson, Lomax and Percival in those settled positions. I agree about Woolf's policy on his selection and he needs to be careful it doesn't damage the lads temperament and confidence.

For me Woolf has got Welsby, Simm and Dodd for more regular appearances over the next 12 months but its just getting the balance right. When Percival returns shortly Simm won't get a game at centre he will get a game at wing before Nisbet or Rizzelli does.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Yes, he's been used too much as a utility player but my point is that some on here are over critical to the player himself, we've had comments that he is a championship player or over comparing his performance against experienced players like Coote, Makinson, Lomax and Percival in those settled positions. I agree about Woolf's policy on his selection and he needs to be careful it doesn't damage the lads temperament and confidence.

For me Woolf has got Welsby, Simm and Dodd for more regular appearances over the next 12 months but its just getting the balance right. When Percival returns shortly Simm won't get a game at centre he will get a game at wing before Nisbet or Rizzelli does.
    I'd hope that Percival takes the rest of the season out to get himself right. To do so could be career limiting further down the line.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Misquote I think. I never saw Voll drop anything.

In The South Stand

Ha the Vollenhoven calypso "stiddy " i remember it well .

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    I'd hope that Percival takes the rest of the season out to get himself right. To do so could be career limiting further down the line.

I think he only gets the all clear (8 weeks out) to start training end of November at the earliest, so he will be watching the Grand final.

Ha the Vollenhoven calypso "stiddy " i remember it well .
    I,m glad someone else remembers.

Learning All The Songs

And this is entirely the point. Logic suggests he should reduce his exposure to get back on firmer ground so to speak, a lot can see that he's always first to be slotted in somewhere and I just don't understand it. I do wonder if KW is being encouraged/made to make it work in some way to protect the clubs investment?

I am not sure there is any more invested in him than any of our other young lads.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

I think it has been pretty much acknowledged he is out for the season

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgowsaint View Post
    I am not sure there is any more invested in him than any of our other young lads.

Except a 4 year contract?

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgowsaint View Post
    I think it has been pretty much acknowledged he is out for the season

I thought so then someone mentioned otherwise

Learning All The Songs

Except a 4 year contract?