Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Redundancies At Saints.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    Perhaps easily forgotten but you will perhaps remember Blair introducing PFI which costs the NHS 10% of its budget in interest charges and collectively much too large to buy out of. This continues year after year after year. I see no point in politicising what's going on when all European governments are on the same path, save for Sweden of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Certainly not forgotten, add on introducing tuition fees and you may understand that all Blair’s legacy crippled the NHS. I will give this government some due in the early stages they wrote off the NHS debt. My point is that the £12billion would have left a lasting legacy for healthcare in this country.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Yes, I see what you mean. I'm still not sure if we can claim some sort of 'special case' though. We're just at one extreme edge of a common problem.
    Agreed.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post

2. Haven't you just signed a new player for next year on big money. 1 confirmed, 2 rumoured, you would assume these guys are on £100k minimum each. This isn't what a poor company looks like. If you care so much about the hospitality staff maybe you should have kept them on and not signed the Aussie International.
    This was brought up when discussing this with my Dad. It’s not really been picked up on too much from what I’ve seen but announcing a new player, who, as you say, will be on a three figure annual salary, and then a week later releasing a statement that you’ve laid off a load of staff just seems a bit of a PR own goal.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by TheBusinessDesk.com View Post
    We've interviewed Mike Rush this morning, where he talked openly about the challenges the club faces and that "all we can do is fight to protect the people that work for us"...

https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/nort...jobs-challenge
    A good article with some plain speaking from MR. Doubt it will do Saints any good, though I hope to be surprised.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post
    1, Your original post doesn't make that clear.

2, I'm on day ten of a self isolation period due to a positive test registered in my house by my Daughter. She caught it working as a Staff Nurse on a Corona ward. My wife is another frontline key worker and just for good measure, my previous time off was a year ago as I am also a frontline key worker who was putting in 50-60 hour weeks during the original lockdown March - July. So in the opinion top trumps game I'm more entitled to an opinion.
    I know you're not after it but I thought I might put on record my gratitude to you & your family for the efforts & compromises you've made during this time. I don't agree with everything that's going on but that doesn't prevent me acknowledging the efforts of people & indeed whole households like yours at this time.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    I think it is difficult for people to get around their own political prejudices regarding anything to do with this (or in fact any) government. The biggest example I have had recently was Brexit, the guy filling up my Facebook feed with the largest amount of anti Brexit posts was a friend that has a business in Lapland. Brexiteers were at different time, stupid, racist, ignorant, and spiteful, he was pretty unrelenting. Then a few weeks after Brexit happened my mate shared a post with some good news. He just got a six figure grant off the EU to build his business. Now I am not saying he was right/wrong with his opinion but I am sure his main motivation for it was the truck load of money on its way from Brussels. Just a small side note may friend has worked his ar*e off to build his business from the ground up and deserves every break he gets.

However, my point is that peoples opinion on what is happening now is based on their circumstances. If you work in hospitality or own a small business you want to get out there and trade and your opinion is that Covid is a bit of Flu. If you can work from home but have an illness like diabetes or asthma, you probably want the country as locked down as possible and probably get very upset if the government attempts to get you to go outside. Or maybe you just miss the pub a lot.

The bottom line is the government has to try hit a balance. They need to protect the public and the NHS while not sending the country into crippling debt or bankruptcy. One example to remember is that it took until 2006 for the UK to pay off it debt to the USA for WWII, this shows that an event like COVID could be getting paid off by our children and grand children. There isn't an unlimited pot of money and everyone is struggling.

Playing devil advocate here, if I was the government responding to Rush's letter I would make a few points.

1. Didn't the sport get a £16m loan? Where has that gone? Shouldn't that cover you for the time being?

2. Haven't you just signed a new player for next year on big money. 1 confirmed, 2 rumoured, you would assume these guys are on £100k minimum each. This isn't what a poor company looks like. If you care so much about the hospitality staff maybe you should have kept them on and not signed the Aussie International.

That being said it sounds like one of the issues are that the company is both a rugby club and hospitality business. Maybe the answer is to have two companies that can each take advantage of the two sets of rules?
    This is as good a post as any I've read in the subject.

[QUOTE=WalkieTalkie;803985]I know you're not after it but I thought I might put on record my gratitude to you & your family for the efforts & compromises you've made during this time. I don't agree with everything that's going on but that doesn't prevent me acknowledging the efforts of people & indeed whole households like yours at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTX2E]

X2

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Very good post with a bit of perspective from both sides.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    This is as good a post as any I've read in the subject.

Thanks guys!
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.