Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Sione Mata’utia

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Yeh its just a concern how we go once they get subbed. Hopefully next season with his injury a distant memory Matty Lees can step up. Who else do we have in the front row though? I would have liked us to sign another prop.
    If Paasi runs it in as hard as he does in the highlight videos I’ll think he’ll be a new fan favourite. We’ve always loved strong running front rowers and he’s a big unit. We know exactly what we’ll get out of Amor and LMS as 4th/5th choice so it really is down to Lees to make the difference. Fingers crossed now he’s fully recovered and with a good pre-season behind him we can start to see him live up to his potential. He still puts himself about a lot in defence and runs the ball in hard so I don’t think he’s worried at all about his body, if he can add another 10kg or so to get him back to where he was before his injury (plus a little extra) and improve his footwork into contact adding the occasional offload I think we could see him start to kick on. Will be interesting to see who he starts alongside Walmsley, whether he uses Paasi to keep the momentum when he goes off.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Yeh its just a concern how we go once they get subbed. Hopefully next season with his injury a distant memory Matty Lees can step up. Who else do we have in the front row though? I would have liked us to sign another prop.
    I believe we will be better in our forward line than we have this season, that's for sure.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    Woolf has.
    Woolf thinks Welsby is a good option at centre week in, week out.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Woolf thinks Welsby is a good option at centre week in, week out.
    Woolf's history with young players speaks for itself in the NRL. We cannot.expect our young players to be world beaters yet, it takes time.

Read what Woolf said in regards to Iggy on the Saints site. He knows what he's getting, dare I say, have faith.

In The West Stand

Walmsley Roby Lees
    Thompson Mata'utia
    Knowles

Bentley LMS Amor Paasi

I would guess, with one of LMS/ Amor dropping out for Smith or Eaves when we want to spell Roby (with Bentley as emergency cover in games when not)

Think Mata'utia is good business, and our backrow is going to be very competitive next year (cant see Bentley wanting to give up a starting position). Hopefully theres a kid or two around to keep things fresh as well.

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Walmsley Roby Lees
    Thompson Mata'utia
    Knowles

Bentley LMS Amor Paasi

I would guess, with one of LMS/ Amor dropping out for Smith or Eaves when we want to spell Roby (with Bentley as emergency cover in games when not)

Think Mata'utia is good business, and our backrow is going to be very competitive next year (cant see Bentley wanting to give up a starting position). Hopefully theres a kid or two around to keep things fresh as well.
    Think it’s more likely to be Bentley starting with Mata’utia on the bench. Then Smith instead of one of LMS or Amor.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Walmsley Roby Lees
    Thompson Mata'utia
    Knowles

Bentley LMS Amor Paasi

Batchelor, Wingfield and Sambou for the back row, I’d presume.

Not sure what we have coming through in the front row, mind.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Think it’s more likely to be Bentley starting with Mata’utia on the bench. Then Smith instead of one of LMS or Amor.
    That’s probably how I’d go, too. If we go into next year with LMS and Amor playing regularly, for any other reason than injuries, then I fear for us.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Snellino , sorry about that mate , of course I should have said : there are some real gradely folk who live in St Helens ...my daughter is one of them .
    Thanks for replying. I get a little over protective about the town I've lived in for 69 years! BTW I'm of the female variety but don't mind being called mate!

Cracking signing, really looking forward to seeing him in the RedVee!

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    Woolf's history with young players speaks for itself in the NRL. We cannot.expect our young players to be world beaters yet, it takes time.

Read what Woolf said in regards to Iggy on the Saints site. He knows what he's getting, dare I say, have faith.
    Apparently Iggy as you call him only signed because Woolf was the boss here .

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    After reading this it could be Sione who only signed because Wolfe is Saints boss , Lets hope these new signings show us why we chose Wolfe to coach us .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

"He is a good player and we see him as a bloke who can come in and play in the forwards for us and give us some real speed around the ruck as he has a good skill set."

Maybe I am reading too much into this quote but is there a chance Matuatia will be used as a "middle" (to use a common phrase) leaving Bentley and Thompson at 2nd row? He could be used to spell Knowles or even Lees/Paasi/Walmsley at different times.

Woolf does go on to say “He can also play on an edge and offer us some ‘punch’ out there." However his initial comment mentions him playing around the ruck which isn't something you would normally associate with a 2nd rower.

I might be looking into it a bit too literally but it's just a thought.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Interesting signing. I suppose as has been mentioned were does that leave Bentley?

How long is Bentley signed for just next season or is he of contract shortly? Maybe he's already made noises about going on his travels.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

A really good interview with Sione on Saints TV. He comes across really well. Already getting excited about next year.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    "He is a good player and we see him as a bloke who can come in and play in the forwards for us and give us some real speed around the ruck as he has a good skill set."

Maybe I am reading too much into this quote but is there a chance Matuatia will be used as a "middle" (to use a common phrase) leaving Bentley and Thompson at 2nd row? He could be used to spell Knowles or even Lees/Paasi/Walmsley at different times.

Woolf does go on to say “He can also play on an edge and offer us some ‘punch’ out there." However his initial comment mentions him playing around the ruck which isn't something you would normally associate with a 2nd rower.

I’d read into it that Thompson, Bentley and Knowles will be our starting back row with Mata’utia coming off the bench to spell 11-13 whilst providing injury cover from 2-5.

I think you have a point, I don't expect him to be solely in the pack? He played wing and centre before Nathan Brown put him in the second row.
    Woolf was deputy to Brown and took over after Brown left, so I imagine he knows how versatile he is going to be going forward.

Banned

I'm getting the vibe Thompson may be used as a middle (I bloody hate that term). Possibly only because he's a unit, getting on a bit and the little I've seen of him he's very direct and strong in defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I'm getting the vibe Thompson may be used as a middle (I bloody hate that term). Possibly only because he's a unit, getting on a bit and the little I've seen of him he's very direct and strong in defense.
    Woolf has spoken specifically about him playing on that left edge where Taia normally plays though. I had him as a show in for that left 2nd row spot personally but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Apparently Iggy as you call him only signed because Woolf was the boss here .
    Just wait until both he and Sione are playing together, it will be the Iggy & Izzy show

There’s an interview just gone on Saints TV. Woolf says he sees Matautia as a “back rower” who can play in the middle or on the edge, so I interpret that as anywhere 11-13.

He also says Bentley will be our right side 2nd rower going forward. So it sounds like the plan to start the season at least will be a starting back row of Bentley, Thompson and Knowles with Matautia providing cover for all 3 off the bench.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

You’d imagine that he’ll likely take Peyroux’s role coming off the bench. Walmsley, Paasi, Matautia, Thompson and LMS gives us a good platform to play off. Knowles and Bentley will give us a good balance.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    You’d imagine that he’ll likely take Peyroux’s role coming off the bench. Walmsley, Paasi, Matautia, Thompson and LMS gives us a good platform to play off. Knowles and Bentley will give us a good balance.
    He brings excellent versatility from the bench - cover across the back row and three quarter line in one player.

Got A Season Ticket

There’s an interview just gone on Saints TV. Woolf says he sees Matautia as a “back rower” who can play in the middle or on the edge, so I interpret that as anywhere 11-13.

He also says Bentley will be our right side 2nd rower going forward. So it sounds like the plan to start the season at least will be a starting back row of Bentley, Thompson and Knowles with Matautia providing cover for all 3 off the bench.
    Great but we better get him signed up long term before somebody else does.

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Lees as well. Either him or Paasi to start and then the other coming off the bench along with Matautia and LMS gives us a bit of impact there. Hopefully we will be better equipped when Walmsley is off the field than we are this season.