Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Sione Mata置tia

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsfan View Post
    I've been a fan of Sione since he was 14.
    He is the youngest of 4 brothers who all came through all the junior grades at the Knights to play firstgrade.
    They are 4 of the 7 children of a single mother who struggled to raise them.
    There are many stories of how other kids spent the money they got to play juniors on luxuries, but the Mata'utia boys spent it all on food for the family, and how their first manager had to buy them boots.
    By the time Sione came through his 3 older brothers were all training with senior sides and playing at under 20s level or above, so at 14 years old Sione was training with his brothers and was seen as the best player of his age in Australia. He captained the Australian under 16s side.
    He did his first firstgrade pre season at 16/17 and Wayne Bennett described him as a future club captain and said he would play him in firstgrade if he could (not able to play till he turned 18).
    He made his firstgrade debut as a fullback the week after he turned 18 and scored 7 tries in his first 5 games.
    In his time at the Knights he has played every position on the field except halfback and hooker.
    Woolf was the assistant coach at the Knights who turned him from a centre to a second row forward, and since then he has played some lock and prop during games.
    He hasn't really settled into the forwards in the last few years and the club has signed Tyson Frizell for next year, so it's hard to see Sione getting a spot in the 17 at the Knights.
    I think he'd be better off going back to centre and losing a bit of the size he's built up since training for the forwards, but clearly Woolf sees him as a second row.
    When he made the Australian side at 18 it came after he played in the PMs XIII against PNG and amazed everyone in the Australian setup with how hard he trained. He still trains at a level that very few can match and has been the Knights best trainer for years.
    Thanks for the update Knightsfan, from what you say his character cannot be questioned alas he may struggle in St. Helens.

We have lots of single mothers with 7 children but unlike Samoan culture the names of these children are all the same, you may ask how a mother differentiates between her children, it is easy she calls them by their surnames.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Thanks for the update Knightsfan, from what you say his character cannot be questioned alas he may struggle in St. Helens.

We have lots of single mothers with 7 children but unlike Samoan culture the names of these children are all the same, you may ask how a mother differentiates between her children, it is easy she calls them by their surnames.
    Brilliant . Sums up parts of the town perfectly . Thank God I no longer live there .

Got A Season Ticket

So, do tell us: how many single mothers with 7 children by 7 fathers are there in St Helens; and how many are there in England?

Quote Originally Posted by Simeon Stylites View Post
    So, do tell us: how many single mothers with 7 children by 7 fathers are there in St Helens; and how many are there in England?
    Snow White immediately sprung to mind, not sure why.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    Snow White immediately sprung to mind, not sure why.

And there I was imagining Snow White to have been an innocent ...

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Brilliant . Sums up parts of the town perfectly . Thank God I no longer live there .
    If everyone moved elsewhere then you wouldn't have a team to support!
    Whilst St Helens has a number of areas which are not populated by the most upright members of society, there are areas which are pleasant places to live. Generalisations don't sit well with me!
    Perhaps it was a throwaway comment with no intended malice and if that is the case then I will stand down from my soapbox.

Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    Whilst St Helens has a number of areas which are not populated by the most upright members of society, there are areas which are pleasant places to live. Generalisations don't sit well with me!
    Perhaps it was a throwaway comment with no intended malice and if that is the case then I will stand down from my soapbox.
    I've lived in a good many places over the years and there's good and bad people everywhere in my experience.

Learning All The Songs

I've lived in a good many places over the years and there's good and bad people everywhere in my experience.

Totally so WT!

Learning All The Songs

I think having a load of kids is something Boris Johnson is actually good at, as he goes shagging around. The only difference from a single mother is he doesn’t know how many children he has.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

I think Mr Tiger has seriously put St Helens down in a crude way.

Ive pretty much adopted St Helens as my go to place, now that I no longer live in Liverpool and I cant really fault it!

I hope Mata ' Utia settles well here.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post

Ive pretty much adopted St Helens as my go to place, now that I no longer live in Liverpool and I cant really fault it!

Apologies sinkers89 if you think I was putting St.Helens down I can assure you it was not my intention.
    It was an attempt to "shoe horn" an old joke in to the single mother scenario described by Knightsfan.
    I am proud of my town, its people and of course our team. The education, apprenticeship and lifeskills gained in over a quarter of a century there have taken me all over the world and I feel privileged to have that upbringing.
    Once again sincere apologies for any offence caused to anyone.
    I should have used Wigan as an analogy instead!!

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post

Question is though, do you still consider yourself a scouser?

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Question is though, do you still consider yourself a scouser?
    I will always be a scouser.

Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    Snellino , sorry about that mate , of course I should have said : there are some real gradely folk who live in St Helens ...my daughter is one of them .

Learning All The Songs

..and then there is Wigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    ..and then there is Wigan.
    To be fair there is, not as many though........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Confirmed by Saints.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Great news, happy with our new pack now, just need Matty Lees to step up his potential for next season. Lots of dynamic players with power and speed in the forwards just what we needed for next year.

Great news, Woolf is well respected by these new players coming in. Our forwards look great for next season.

In The South Stand

Back row looks decent for next year, I’m less positive about the front row, Walmsley aside.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Back row looks decent for next year, I’m less positive about the front row, Walmsley aside.
    What about Iggy? He will be propping with big Al.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    Have not seen much of him, in all honesty.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    Yeh its just a concern how we go once they get subbed. Hopefully next season with his injury a distant memory Matty Lees can step up. Who else do we have in the front row though? I would have liked us to sign another prop.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Have not seen much of him, in all honesty.
    Woolf has.