Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Sione Mata置tia

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    He wouldn’t have a chance of replacing Welsby if he was playing either centre or wing, not while he’s Woolf’s golden boy at the moment.
    He's been penciled in as hooker and captain once Roby finishes.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    He's been penciled in as hooker and captain once Roby finishes.
    Believe it or not about a week ago on here someone said that to me as a solution for a berth for JW apparently because he can pass. Don't know what to think now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Maybe we are not signing him if he has been released and we were not told?

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/11/1...ione-matautia/
    Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    I wonder if we are edging our bets in case Tanginoa from Wakefield is a possibility?

Maybe a dangerous game where could end up with neither
    When I wrote my post, I had not seen press release from newcastle. I thought as we were in the dark about his release maybe he had got a better offer elsewhere.

Noooobie

I've been a fan of Sione since he was 14.
    He is the youngest of 4 brothers who all came through all the junior grades at the Knights to play firstgrade.
    They are 4 of the 7 children of a single mother who struggled to raise them.
    There are many stories of how other kids spent the money they got to play juniors on luxuries, but the Mata'utia boys spent it all on food for the family, and how their first manager had to buy them boots.
    By the time Sione came through his 3 older brothers were all training with senior sides and playing at under 20s level or above, so at 14 years old Sione was training with his brothers and was seen as the best player of his age in Australia. He captained the Australian under 16s side.
    He did his first firstgrade pre season at 16/17 and Wayne Bennett described him as a future club captain and said he would play him in firstgrade if he could (not able to play till he turned 18).
    He made his firstgrade debut as a fullback the week after he turned 18 and scored 7 tries in his first 5 games.
    In his time at the Knights he has played every position on the field except halfback and hooker.
    Woolf was the assistant coach at the Knights who turned him from a centre to a second row forward, and since then he has played some lock and prop during games.
    He hasn't really settled into the forwards in the last few years and the club has signed Tyson Frizell for next year, so it's hard to see Sione getting a spot in the 17 at the Knights.
    I think he'd be better off going back to centre and losing a bit of the size he's built up since training for the forwards, but clearly Woolf sees him as a second row.
    When he made the Australian side at 18 it came after he played in the PMs XIII against PNG and amazed everyone in the Australian setup with how hard he trained. He still trains at a level that very few can match and has been the Knights best trainer for years.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsfan View Post
    I've been a fan of Sione since he was 14.
    He is the youngest of 4 brothers who all came through all the junior grades at the Knights to play firstgrade.
    They are 4 of the 7 children of a single mother who struggled to raise them.
    There are many stories of how other kids spent the money they got to play juniors on luxuries, but the Mata'utia boys spent it all on food for the family, and how their first manager had to buy them boots.
    By the time Sione came through his 3 older brothers were all training with senior sides and playing at under 20s level or above, so at 14 years old Sione was training with his brothers and was seen as the best player of his age in Australia. He captained the Australian under 16s side.
    He did his first firstgrade pre season at 16/17 and Wayne Bennett described him as a future club captain and said he would play him in firstgrade if he could (not able to play till he turned 18).
    He made his firstgrade debut as a fullback the week after he turned 18 and scored 7 tries in his first 5 games.
    In his time at the Knights he has played every position on the field except halfback and hooker.
    Woolf was the assistant coach at the Knights who turned him from a centre to a second row forward, and since then he has played some lock and prop during games.
    He hasn't really settled into the forwards in the last few years and the club has signed Tyson Frizell for next year, so it's hard to see Sione getting a spot in the 17 at the Knights.
    I think he'd be better off going back to centre and losing a bit of the size he's built up since training for the forwards, but clearly Woolf sees him as a second row.
    When he made the Australian side at 18 it came after he played in the PMs XIII against PNG and amazed everyone in the Australian setup with how hard he trained. He still trains at a level that very few can match and has been the Knights best trainer for years.
    Thanks for the insights Knightsfan, Yep have always been impressed with Sione - I think he is one of those players who has motivation within to always do the best they can. Hoping he is used to full advantage at Saints.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post
    Thanks for the insights Knightsfan, Yep have always been impressed with Sione - I think he is one of those players who has motivation within to always do the best they can. Hoping he is used to full advantage at Saints.
    Fair call.
    An unkind reviewer would say he isn't fast enough to be a great back and isn't big enough to be a great forward, but no one works harder or tries harder.

Fair call.
    An unkind reviewer would say he isn't fast enough to be a great back and isn't big enough to be a great forward, but no one works harder or tries harder.
    He certainly looks fast enough on you tube when he played on the wing , 18 then .

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    He certainly looks fast enough on you tube when he played on the wing , 18 then .
    He's bulked up and slowed down.
    He's still faster than most forwards and he is one of the strongest tacklers going around, but it's hard to see where his future is.
    Nathan Brown did him no favours by using him as Mr Fix it and putting him in different positions nearly every week. Sione is his own worst enemy by saying yes to anything asked of him too. He'd literally play wing one week and be coming off the bench to play 5/8 and then a bit of middle forward the next week. He gave every position his best shot, but never settled into a routine. Hopefully Woolf will put him in one position and let him develop the skills for that position over time.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Whichever way you want to spin it he looks a real talent who needs to be used in his most effective position.
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs

Sounds more like Vinnie Anderson than Sia Soliola.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Whichever way you want to spin it he looks a real talent who needs to be used in his most effective position.
    Someone needs to explain this in explicit detail to KW.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    He has always been a flatter to deceive type player Inu. He starts off like a world beater then turns into an average Joe, that is why he has been at so many clubs.

He is the sort of player you should sign for one year then leave it. However now at his age he is a hard pass.
    I agree completely Noel however It seems Wolfe is going nowhere and did make Inu an offer to come to Saints , it was there for all to see .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Someone needs to explain this in explicit detail to KW.
    I reckon he'll spell Roby

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    I reckon he'll spell Roby

Mata'utia? I hope you're taking the 封封, my radar hasn't been working properly of late.

Mata'utia? I hope you're taking the 封封, my radar hasn't been working properly of late.
    Only a little tease, anything could happen the way we are sometimes.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

He's still faster than most forwards and he is one of the strongest tacklers going around, but it's hard to see where his future is.
    Nathan Brown did him no favours by using him as Mr Fix it and putting him in different positions nearly every week. Sione is his own worst enemy by saying yes to anything asked of him too. He'd literally play wing one week and be coming off the bench to play 5/8 and then a bit of middle forward the next week. He gave every position his best shot, but never settled into a routine. Hopefully Woolf will put him in one position and let him develop the skills for that position over time.
    Thanks lot the info on him. We have our own Nathan Brown that likes to try players anywhere except where they normally play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Thanks lot the info on him. We have our own Nathan Brown that likes to try players anywhere except where they normally play the game.
    Can't think who you mean

From what you are saying it seems you think his best position is 2nd row . I have a feeling Saints may want him to play centre unless Percival become's consistently 100% fit . Thanks a lot my friend .

From what you are saying it seems you think his best position is 2nd row . I have a feeling Saints may want him to play centre unless Percival become's consistently 100% fit . Thanks a lot my friend .
    Figures in the world we're in.

Noooobie

I don't know what his best position for you will be.
    He was a decent second row for us for the last 2 seasons, but he never set the world on fire. Before that he was mostly a centre and a pretty good one.
    If he trained as an outside back and dropped 5 to 10kgs, he'd still be a lot better than Kevin Naiqama (the only Knights player I'm familiar with in your team). As a forward he wouldn't be as good as Zeb Taia when we had him, but that was a long time ago and I'd imagine he'd be better than Zeb now, albeit a very different style of player.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

I don't know what his best position for you will be.
    He was a decent second row for us for the last 2 seasons, but he never set the world on fire. Before that he was mostly a centre and a pretty good one.
    If he trained as an outside back and dropped 5 to 10kgs, he'd still be a lot better than Kevin Naiqama (the only Knights player I'm familiar with in your team). As a forward he wouldn't be as good as Zeb Taia when we had him, but that was a long time ago and I'd imagine he'd be better than Zeb now, albeit a very different style of player.
    Normally when a centre moves to 2nd row, it's because he has lost that yard of pace to be effective when running wide. How fast is he? I believe you 100% about him being better than Naiqama. I don't rate Naiqama, he is an ok runner with the ball, but that's it. Whenever I see him with the ball in hand I never think, oh wow something special could happen here.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Normally when a centre moves to 2nd row, it's because he has lost that yard of pace to be effective when running wide. How fast is he? I believe you 100% about him being better than Naiqama. I don't rate Naiqama, he is an ok runner with the ball, but that's it. Whenever I see him with the ball in hand I never think, oh wow something special could happen here.
    He's never been known for his speed. He runs hard and often and tackles hard and often. He is not anything like Pete Mata'utia. Very different styles.

Banned

He's never been known for his speed. He runs hard and often and tackles hard and often. He is not anything like Pete Mata'utia. Very different styles.
    Good, Peter is shit.

Noooobie

Good, Peter is shit.
    Pete isn't short for Peter.
    If it's short for any English word it's short for his nickname "Peanut". His real name is Samoan and has a pe somewhere in the 10 syllables I think.
    His middle brother used to go by Pat, but has gone back to his real name of Alipati now.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    We're signing RONNIE SHIFTER according to his agent ANA GRAM

He is INFERIOR THEN.