Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sione Mata’utia

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    I think Evalds is a great, pacy runner and he’s very safe under a high ball but he doesn’t offer the same link up play and left sided kicking game that Coote does. We would have to reshuffle our troops in that respect. Mind you, Barba’s skill was running but we didn’t win anything with him did we? Lomax might fit the bill if his body is still up to it but then we’d need a new stand off possibly? I honestly think we’ve got Welsby pencilled in there.
    Two very good but totally different players. Coote is an organiser, a great defender and the glue that holds our backline together. Evalds is a safe pair of hands with pace to burn most players off the park

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    I think Evalds is a great, pacy runner and he’s very safe under a high ball but he doesn’t offer the same link up play and left sided kicking game that Coote does. We would have to reshuffle our troops in that respect. Mind you, Barba’s skill was running but we didn’t win anything with him did we? Lomax might fit the bill if his body is still up to it but then we’d need a new stand off possibly? I honestly think we’ve got Welsby pencilled in there.
    Left sided kicking game comes from Dodd. And by no means am I knocking Coote, I'd be more than happy to see him stay if he's still fit and wants to be here.

Banned

For me when coote does leave id like to see welsby given the 1 jersey, yes hes shakey under a high ball but he will get better with practice and time

Banned

We really need to be looking at Matty English for me.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I second that, looks a good prop in an average team, could be a serious player with better players around him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    I second that, looks a good prop in an average team, could be a serious player with better players around him.
    No problem with his effort and he does not hang back. He would need to do a lot more work in the gym. I have never seen a professional player with less muscle in his legs. Always reminds me of a fat schoolboy.

Stated by me on here quite sometime ago. He looks a decent front rower.

Am I allowed to say Shane Webcke or is that a bit old now?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Am I allowed to say Shane Webcke or is that a bit old now?
    I'm trying to think of an amusing reply but I'm still ••••ed off about last night and now I see we're probably going back in to frigging lockdown. Where's that Brandy?

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    For me when coote does leave id like to see welsby given the 1 jersey, yes hes shakey under a high ball but he will get better with practice and time
    I just don't get this. Yes he's still young and was apparently excellent as a junior but it seems he was an early bloomer where his maturity helped him stand out. As what generally happens the slower maturing lads catch up later and I think that's what's happened and he's plateaued. If you want to play anywhere in a back line in a top SL side you have to have a range of basic attributes then on top a little bit of gold dust. These attributes would seem to be things like pace, confidence under the ball, speed of thought, positional sense, even more pace. Some you can improve some you're born with. I'm afraid from what I've seen he hasn't displayed many of these at all. KW does him no favours continually finding a place for him and exposing him as has been happening, he was captain on Monday I believe. It's absolute madness in any walk of life to applaud someone when truly not deserving as it can take away some of their drive to improve as they believe what they're doing is good enough. In my view he would be better reflecting on things with his supporters over the close season and coming to terms about where he's at and what he needs to work on in targeting a future position of his own. In my view based on what I've seen he's certainly no full back or centre and had a pretty awful showing on Monday in the halves. That doesn't leave too many options unfortunately without some drastic changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/11/05/...-all-16-clubs/
    NRL reporting Sione signed for Saints

Learning All The Songs

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/...diate-release/

Released from his contract to join us

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post

Could be a top signing for us. I think he has the potential to be similar to Soliola - hopefully without the season ending injury!

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Could be a top signing for us. I think he has the potential to be similar to Soliola - hopefully without the season ending injury!

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk
    Will be interesting to see how he goes - he dies have a habit of spilling the ball regularly which hopefully can be sorted out.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post

We are really pleased to see him get an opportunity to extend his career in England and the chance to travel with his family."

hopefully not another one coming for a holiday.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

I think it’s a bit odd that we’re signing a big name second row after signing Thompson and the emergence of Bentley.

I can only presume that either Bentley may not be staying or they’re going to be using Mata’utia differently.

At 24 he looks a good signing on paper with excellent experience already. I mentioned on another thread how we signed Soliola at an early age after a few bad injuries and look how good he came. It’s refreshing to sign a young Aussie on a long term contract, who similar to Soliola got big wraps from a young age, hopefully he turns out to be a great signing.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    I think it’s a bit odd that we’re signing a big name second row after signing Thompson and the emergence of Bentley.

I can only presume that either Bentley may not be staying or they’re going to be using Mata’utia differently.

At 24 he looks a good signing on paper with excellent experience already. I mentioned on another thread how we signed Soliola at an early age after a few bad injuries and look how good he came. It’s refreshing to sign a young Aussie on a long term contract, who similar to Soliola got big wraps from a young age, hopefully he turns out to be a great signing.

It could be that Thompson is moving to the front row like David Farleigh did under Millward ?

Starting A Programme Collection

I've said tongue in cheek that if KW could shoehorn 2 second rowers into the centres he would, this could be the first of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Maybe we are not signing him if he has been released and we were not told?

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/11/1...ione-matautia/

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Or simply the case that we’re signing 2 good players to replace Taia, Peyroux and Paulo, even though Paulo has barely played. With the likelihood that we’ll have a hooker in the bench pretty much every game, having a player like Mata’uita who can cover centre and wing if necessary gives us a lot more flexibility in case of injury.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Odd one that. Can't really see why we would put this out unless we thought we had a deal lined up and it has been wobbled.

It doesn't say anything and just reads like a bit of a dig at the Knights. Pretty pointless.

Banned

I wonder if any other club come in for him now that he’s a free agent .

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Maybe we are not signing him if he has been released and we were not told?

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/11/1...ione-matautia/
    I wonder if we are edging our bets in case Tanginoa from Wakefield is a possibility?

Maybe a dangerous game where could end up with neither

Having his brother Peter at Cas should help him and his family to settle a little easier I suppose.