Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Sione Mata置tia

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Can Simm play on the right? Would be handy if so, but it can really hamper a centre playing him on his wrong side (Shenton being a prime example).
    I might be completely wrong but I thought he was largely right sided in the academy (with Rizelli left?) That's certainly how they lined up in the Academy GF last year.

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    I might be completely wrong but I thought he was largely right sided in the academy (with Rizelli left?) That's certainly how they lined up in the Academy GF last year.
    Ah - good news if that's the case.

I don't get the dislike for Naiqama. He does fly out of the line sometimes but he usually gets it right, and I think he's given us much more left/right balance in attack since he arrived.
    I don't think many really have a downer on him.

Expectations are higher because of his salary and status as a senior NRL player.

For me , what he does , he does very well. However he could do more.

Some of that is down to him, so of that is down to the level and quality of service he gets.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    He was he played nearly all his games at right centre, he has done well at left centre in the first team especially in his defence because he has come up against some very experienced right centres so far.

Naiqama is off contract end of the 2021 season so I should imagine he will our right centre from 2022 season onwards. In the meantime Simm will be happy covering for Percy and Kevin.

I'm glad to hear that Simm is right-sided. I like Naiqama but as a probably quite expensive import I'd be happy for him to make way for a Simm/Percival pairing once his contract is up (assuming Simm continues to develop well).

In The South Stand

I really rate Naiqama and I think we'd be sensible to keep hold of him if we can. He's one of those players who seems to do better the better the opposition is. He's had some very good performances for us and his side is usually very calm when he's playing.

I liked the look if Rizelli the other night. He seems to have decent size about him, as does Simm.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    He was he played nearly all his games at right centre, he has done well at left centre in the first team especially in his defence because he has come up against some very experienced right centres so far.

Naiqama is off contract end of the 2021 season so I should imagine he will our right centre from 2022 season onwards. In the meantime Simm will be happy covering for Percy and Kevin.
    That makes alot sense providing he continues to develop.

We have quite a few big players out of contract at the end of next year and some will leave or retire. Coote, Naiqama, Fages, Roby, Lees, Bentley, Knowles, LMS (assuming he signs for another season - not actually heard on this?) and Amor all out of contract I think.

You'd hope from that Lees, Bentley, and Knowles will sign new deals (I'd probably add Fages to that aswell) but the others may decide to go home, move elsewhere or retire, so the extra quota spots could be pretty crucial in our recruitment. Replacing Roby especially will be a mammoth task.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I'm glad to hear that Simm is right-sided. I like Naiqama but as a probably quite expensive import I'd be happy for him to make way for a Simm/Percival pairing once his contract is up (assuming Simm continues to develop well).
    My thoughts exactly. I thought about this the other day and wasn't sure which was Simm's preferred side, so it's encouraging to know he has played plenty of rugby on the right.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I really rate Naiqama and I think we'd be sensible to keep hold of him if we can. He's one of those players who seems to do better the better the opposition is. He's had some very good performances for us and his side is usually very calm when he's playing.

I liked the look if Rizelli the other night. He seems to have decent size about him, as does Simm.
    I think the cap will clearly be an increasing factor as it always is assuming he's on a decent deal but they have to keep the conveyor belt ticking over & keeping everyone happy so as long as there's a replacement even still with developmental headroom I think he would move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post

I would be happy with Simm taking over from Naiqama. The major replacement we will need at the end of 2021 is Coote.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I thought about this the other day and wasn't sure which was Simm's preferred side, so it's encouraging to know he has played plenty of rugby on the right.
    The way he has played on the left, sort of dispels the theory that centres can only play one side. If the left is his weaker side can't wait to see him on the right.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    I would be happy with Simm taking over from Naiqama. The major replacement we will need at the end of 2021 is Coote.
    No I don稚 think is the worry for me, Coote will only be 31 at the end of 2021 season. The way he plays the game isn稚 built on speed or dynamism so for me could potentially play on for a further 2 years.

Default Sione Mata置tia

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    The way he has played on the left, sort of dispels the theory that centres can only play one side. If the left is his weaker side can't wait to see him on the right.
    Some players are more adaptable than others, but it definitely matters. If you have a good left foot step and right hand fend and favour passing right to left then you池e going to be significantly more effective on the left than on the right.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    No I don’t think is the worry for me, Coote will only be 31 at the end of 2021 season. The way he plays the game isn’t built on speed or dynamism so for me could potentially play on for a further 2 years.
    He was on about going home when his deal is up.

Yes, I think Coote could potentially get a final NRL deal now that he seems (touch wood) to have put his injury problems behind him.

I also have a feeling that we値l lose one or both of Knowles and Bentley to the NRL, sadly. I can see 2021 being a make or break year, recruitment wise.

Some players are more adaptable than others, but it definitely matters. If you have a good left foot step and right hand fend and favour passing right to left then you’re going to be significantly more effective on the left than on the right.
    I wouldn't argue that centres and players in general have a stronger and weaker side. I was just stating the case that if he is a right centre he also has the ability to play left.

That's what I've heard as well

In The South Stand

Yes, I think Coote could potentially get a final NRL deal now that he seems (touch wood) to have put his injury problems behind him.

I also have a feeling that we’ll lose one or both of Knowles and Bentley to the NRL, sadly. I can see 2021 being a make or break year, recruitment wise.
    He probably could,i think it is more to do with his kid's education though and not wanting to pull them out of school ( i think the oldest might be going to high school then ? ) either way i'm sure i read he would be off. He will be a big loss

I also have a feeling that we’ll lose one or both of Knowles and Bentley to the NRL, sadly. I can see 2021 being a make or break year, recruitment wise.
    Unfortunately it will probably be knowles. Nothing against Bentley, he is a tackling machine but to me Knowles has much more physical presence and better ball handling. Though that may only be my perception, just had a look at Saints website and not much difference in size

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I would think that if all clubs are struggling next year financially then there could be a watershed of overseas players further down the road maybe only 3 players instead of the 6 or 7 norm. The young ones on Monday night was great for our future most of those will be first team players whilst other clubs might struggle on that front.

For Coote he looks quite happy here on and off the field so a 1 year extended contract could be on the cards.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 30th October 2020 at 15:58.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Default Sione Mata置tia

Evalds only signed a 1 year deal with Cas. Reunited with Ian Watson at Saints for 2022?
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Evalds only signed a 1 year deal with Cas. Reunited with Ian Watson at Saints for 2022?
    I would be more than happy with that. I really rate Evalds.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    That would do nicely.

In The West Stand

So we currently look like;

2020 In: Paasi, J Thompson, Mata’utia, Prop?
    2020 Out: Taia, Graham, Paulo, Ashworth, Costello, Peyroux?, LMS?

(If we don’t sign another prop I assume LMS stays?)
    You would have to assume even a marquee signing would leave us with some wiggle room for extending Bentley and Knowles next year. I also think Coote will give us another year or two, and I still think the intention will be for him to pass on to Welbsy when he’s ready in a couple of years. Then there’s decisions around Roby and Naiqama replacements and whether we see Smith/ Eaves and Simm as ready and Fages vs Dodd and if there’s interest for Fages abroad. All in all we should be in a really good position to put a lot of cap space into retention or chasing some big names.

I think Evalds is a great, pacy runner and he痴 very safe under a high ball but he doesn稚 offer the same link up play and left sided kicking game that Coote does. We would have to reshuffle our troops in that respect. Mind you, Barba痴 skill was running but we didn稚 win anything with him did we? Lomax might fit the bill if his body is still up to it but then we壇 need a new stand off possibly? I honestly think we致e got Welsby pencilled in there.