Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sione Mata’utia

Got A Season Ticket

Must have something about him to do what he’s done at a young age.

I really do wish we would announce longer deals for knowles and Bentley though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Think Simm (I’ll whisper “and Welsby”) have proven themselves more than adequate cover and looking for more and more game time next year.

We look to have Walmsley, Paasi, Lees, Amor, LMS and Batchelor at prop next year (as LMS and Batchelor aren’t going to be in the second row contention as it’s looking fierce) whilst we all like a project I’m not sure where they’d get game time - has it been confirmed Reserves are back next year?
    I'm not sure if we have reserves next year but I doubt it as the Yorkshire lot will be pleading poverty.

The lad can shift a bit. Sammy the rat couldn't catch him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTEkSw_XhJM

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I agree. I would actually just not commit to anything in terms of a start date or structure until the new year at least. If we have to wait until April/May and play through to the winter, postponing the World Cup, so be it. Asking fans to dig deep for a February start now would be ••••ing in the wind
    Yeah, that sounds a good idea to me. I think someone mentioned a pay as you go type ticket which would be a good idea and would suit me down to the ground. Work it with a sliding scale discount, 10 games - 10%, 5 games - 5% and so forth. It gets money in the coffers and less binding than a normal ST.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I'm not sure if we have reserves next year but I doubt it as the Yorkshire lot will be pleading poverty.

The lad can shift a bit. Sammy the rat couldn't catch him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTEkSw_XhJM
    Woolf had a discussion with Martyn Sadler and he mentioned a smaller squad of players with the reserves and academy lads loaned out if Covid is still effecting next season.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Woolf had a discussion with Martyn Sadler and he mentioned a smaller squad of players with the reserves and academy lads loaned out if Covid is still effecting next season.
    That would make sense.

I really hope we land Mata'utia, often a player I have watched when I have seen Newcastle play, and thought 'I'd love him at Saints', so this would be a cracking signing!

WARNING! PIE EATER!

No reserves or dual reg next season according the the League Express a few weeks back.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    I really hope we land Mata'utia, often a player I have watched when I have seen Newcastle play, and thought 'I'd love him at Saints', so this would be a cracking signing!
    What is his best position. From what ive seen hes been playing center but i dont see where he would fit in at center so looks like he will be our second rower (well bench second rower)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    No reserves or dual reg next season according the the League Express a few weeks back.
    Woolf did our young blokes a favour by putting them in the "shop window" on Monday night, quite a few of those will go out on loan and they will play rugby next season but they will still be on saints books until we get back to normality.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    What is his best position. From what ive seen hes been playing center but i dont see where he would fit in at center so looks like he will be our second rower (well bench second rower)
    He could also provide cover as a winger although he hasn't played there for a number of years and he won’t be as quick as he was when he played there for Newcastle and Aus.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    He could also provide cover as a winger although he hasn't played there for a number of years and he won’t be as quick as he was when he played there for Newcastle and Aus.
    Why won’t he be as quick? He’s only 24 unless you know something about him I don’t.
    He will play back row for saints competing with Bentley and Thompson for a start. Or replace Percy if he never recovers. Can adequately do both roles with ease. Good signing by the club and a good age for an overseas player.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Why won’t he be as quick? He’s only 24 unless you know something about him I don’t.
    He will play back row for saints competing with Bentley and Thompson for a start. Or replace Percy if he never recovers. Can adequately do both roles with ease. Good signing by the club and a good age for an overseas player.
    He's had a couple of ankle injuries hasn't he, wasn't aware of his struggle with head knocks though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    You'd have to say Thompson will start and Bentley doesn't deserve not to start given his performances this season however this lad isn't going to want to sit on the bench all season although I can see him playing centre a fair bit. To be honest it wouldn't bother me if he replaced Naiqama, he's been rubbish most of the season.

You'd have to say Thompson will start and Bentley doesn't deserve not to start given his performances this season however this lad isn't going to want to sit on the bench all season although I can see him playing centre a fair bit. To be honest it wouldn't bother me if he replaced Naiqama, he's been rubbish most of the season.
    Naiqama was poor during pre lockdown but has been OK these last 5 games, Simm is a natural right centre so I should imagine he will take over when I think Naiqama is off contact end 2021.

I don't get the dislike for Naiqama. He does fly out of the line sometimes but he usually gets it right, and I think he's given us much more left/right balance in attack since he arrived.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Just had a quick look on the Newcastle knights forum and their fans appear happy he’s going.

This taken from a couple of posts

‘Thank gosh we are finally rid of Sione and the last of the Tinkler era! Kid who's an incredible human being and gave a 1000%, but for one reason or another never kicked on, he'll probably ace it in the ESL. Surely with his $400k we can bring in another first grader‘.

‘I think changing body shape to become a backrower cost him power. He was never express pace, but he was a powerful natural footballer. I think the two things that made him a bit special were taken away from him. Ironically, with his old body shape and natural ability, he'd probably make a good 13 under the current rules now.’

Seems like the classic centre/second row issue. Luckily age is on his side and we have time to mould him how we want. Similar with Soliola and look how he turned out. He’s certainly got the ability and had the potential given he was the youngest ever player for Australia. I’ve not seen much of him but on paper it looks like he could become a good signing. Maybe he’ll replace Naiqama at centre at some point in the future or will battle it with Bentley and Thompson for a starting spot at SR.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I don't get the dislike for Naiqama. He does fly out of the line sometimes but he usually gets it right, and I think he's given us much more left/right balance in attack since he arrived.
    I don't dislike him. He just hasn't played that well this season IMO. He has more to his game than what he's showing.

I don't dislike him. He just hasn't played that well this season IMO. He has more to his game than what he's showing.
    That's fair enough and apologies if I misrepresented your point.

In The South Stand

I think he is a solid, slightly above average centre. I would genuinely rather see Simm play RC when Percival is back.

Starting A Programme Collection

He's had a couple of ankle injuries hasn't he, wasn't aware of his struggle with head knocks though.
    If he was quicker he wouldn't get head knocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

That's fair enough and apologies if I misrepresented your point.
    Don't be daft, no offence taken.

Naiqama was poor during pre lockdown but has been OK these last 5 games, Simm is a natural right centre so I should imagine he will take over when I think Naiqama is off contact end 2021.
    I think at that time he'll be fully prepared and ready to take over with more nouse and filled out a bit, I would like to see him develop with TMak for a period but difficult to predict where TM pace will be at down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    I think he is a solid, slightly above average centre. I would genuinely rather see Simm play RC when Percival is back.
    Can Simm play on the right? Would be handy if so, but it can really hamper a centre playing him on his wrong side (Shenton being a prime example).

He's been a good signing for sure however not a great signing but still difficult to replace yet.

Can Simm play on the right? Would be handy if so, but it can really hamper a centre playing him on his wrong side (Shenton being a prime example).
    Simm was brought up on the right wasn't he, he's fitting on the left to fill the hole. No doubt some youth game aficionados will provide the facts.