Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walmsley banned

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Do you think he's already lost the dressing room? He's lost me, that's for certain.
    I'm thinking the opposite post lockdown, the players probably see him as calm and collective, he comes across as a bloke who doesn't do mind games.

Starting A Programme Collection

Do you think he's already lost the dressing room? He's lost me, that's for certain.
    I believe so, there's little evidence of him doing anything effective with the backs whatsoever. If he is it doesn't show. To be honest he lost me very early on, nearly immediately and I haven't changed my mind, in fact I'm more resolute in my thinking. I'm concerned about what plan he has to beat Wigan on Friday without his main steamroller on the pitch that's why I hope Roby, Coote, Lomax et al work something out. I've no particular info, simply what I see & feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Do you genuinely believe he instructed them to play a certain way and they then decided behind his back to do something different? Seriously come on!

I agree we aren't quite as open as under Holbrook but we are nowhere near as conservative as some people on here would like to make out.

A couple of stats for you:

We have scored 463 points in 16 games, averaging almost 30 points a game. (It's actually over 30 since lockdown and that includes the 10 from last night).
    We have scored nearly 100 points more than our nearest rival.

Now you don't get those results by simply "carting it up the middle." Yes we use Walmsley a lot but what's the point in having the best prop in the league and NOT using him? That would be ridiculous. If Walmsley and the rest of our pack can make ground through the middle then we'd be stupid not to do that. Would you prefer we throw it about in our own half like Hull KR for example? That schoolyard bullsh*t style rugby is alright on a Wednesday night playing tick and pass with your mates but it doesn't work in Super League.

Once we are in good field position we do go wide. Just look at some of the tries this season. In almost every game you will see examples of tries scored out wide. But you have to do the hard (and boring) stuff first more often than not.

Don't get me wrong Woolf is far from flawless. I questioned his team selections a few weeks ago when he was playing Knowles at 2nd row. For me that was a negative tactic. But I think some people (not aimed purely at you) really need to get a grip of reality. We are top of the league and are comfortably the league's top scorers. It's not all bad is it?!
    He's in charge, he makes the calls, he'll stand or fall by his decisions. I don't have to like it though.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    He's in charge, he makes the calls, he'll stand or fall by his decisions. I don't have to like it though.

So he does makes the calls then? Not the players?

It seems you want to blame him when you see something you don't like but praise the players when it's the opposite.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Got A Season Ticket

Well this thread has gone in an interesting direction.

I think I followed the argument that when we play well it's down to the players rebelling but the continued speciation about Woolfe's personality and that he is arrogant is simply groundless. The players do a good job of hiding it if he really had "lost the dressing room".

However the view that Ian Watson is the answer is an interesting one. I know which of the sides last night played to most open rugby and it wasn't the one coached by Watson.

Got A Season Ticket

Well this thread has gone in an interesting direction.

I think I followed the argument that when we play well it's down to the players rebelling but the continued speciation about Woolfe's personality and that he is arrogant is simply groundless. The players do a good job of hiding it if he really had "lost the dressing room".

However the view that Ian Watson is the answer is an interesting one. I know which of the sides last night played to most open rugby and it wasn't the one coached by Watson.

So he does makes the calls then? Not the players?

It seems you want to blame him when you see something you don't like but praise the players when it's the opposite.
    I think you know my position well enough not to play with words.

Does the uber conservative style come exclusively from Woolf?

There's a big boot room and a CEO who coached a limited style himself and propped up KC for a long while.

Has Woolf forced limited upon us or did Holbrook dilute and expand a limited style encouraged by the existing coaching team?

It's an interesting one.

Woolf likes his MMA and middle channel but he has done well to completely implement this from scratch in 10 months.

Woolf is a figure head , the boot room has a big say.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Woolf isn't perfect and we played a more enjoyable brand of rugby under Holbrook but we're top of the league, have the best attack (by a mile) and have the best defence.

To suggest he has lost the dressing room or to get rid is absurd quite frankly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Does the uber conservative style come exclusively from Woolf?

There's a big boot room and a CEO who coached a limited style himself and propped up KC for a long while.

Has Woolf forced limited upon us or did Holbrook dilute and expand a limited style encouraged by the existing coaching team?

It's an interesting one.

Woolf likes his MMA and middle channel but he has done well to completely implement this from scratch in 10 months.

Woolf is a figure head , the boot room has a big say.
    I don't know. What I do know is we didn't play like that last season with almost identical personnel and comment on what I see. I don't think we're "uber" conservative but we are more conservative. What's the biggest change? The coach of course.

I may be venting a bit as I have a right downer on the game at the moment but I know what I'm watching.

I may be venting a bit as I have a right downer on the game at the moment but I know what I'm watching.
    I get it , bit the same myself.

You are right there is a something of a straight jacket and Woolf has made no secret that that is his style.

Learning All The Songs

You are right there is a something of a straight jacket and Woolf has made no secret that that is his style.
    For me he seems to apply different styles at different times which surely is a good sign when it comes to adaptability.

The GF is normally a tight affair due to the weather in early October & with it now being played a month later this is going to be a big factor from now on.

If we do go on to win the GF I think it will be a bigger achievement than last year because the way we played against Castleford prelockdown I was under the impression that he was very close to losing the dressing room at that point in time.

When do we hear about Walmsley’s appeal outcome?

Learning All The Songs

Downgraded to a Grade B, misses 1 match

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I think you know my position well enough not to play with words.

Sorry, that wasn’t my intention. I just think sometimes he can’t win and there are people who made their mind up about him after 3 weeks and won’t budge on that opinion now.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Sorry, that wasn’t my intention. I just think sometimes he can’t win and there are people who made their mind up about him after 3 weeks and won’t budge on that opinion now.
    No probs mate I think you make a good contribution to the forum. I just don't 'get' him I'm afraid. The whole set up and style infuriates me and I'm trying to reign in my comments but I'm struggling with it. Of course I want success but not at the expense of our heritage as I see it. I'll leave it there now.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Downgraded to a Grade B, misses 1 match
    Good news second appeal that has been downgraded for us.

He did beat Australia with it with Tonga. Perhaps it doesn't look as good with us because although our pack is big, it isn't monstrous.

I'm a bit mixed to be honest. Can't really argue with the points tally and the for and against but the league is terrible. It's really poor.

Walmsley reduced to 1 match so misses Wigan

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Woolf isn't perfect and we played a more enjoyable brand of rugby under Holbrook but we're top of the league, have the best attack (by a mile) and have the best defence.

To suggest he has lost the dressing room or to get rid is absurd quite frankly.
    Exactly

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Some people were against him before a ball was kicked.
    Comparisons to the cunningham era are way out.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    Some people were against him before a ball was kicked.
    I think there is some truth in that initially he came across as a bloke perhaps not as approachable as Holbrook with a monotone image. But at the very beginning he explained what he expected from the team and he did say he wanted the side a very tough team to beat, I would say he had done that in a short space of time by way of the game with the Roosters.

Coming out of lockdown Woolf looked more relaxed and his briefings were more detailed, I think the players bought into his pattern of play and we saw quite a lot of pressure put onto the opposition. Yes we did have the occasional poor execution game but we've been like that for decades whatever coach we had at the time.

This year must be one of the most difficult seasons for a new coach to establish himself in Superleague, a 10 game winning run in the league tells me he is doing a good job overall.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I think there is some truth in that initially he came across as a bloke perhaps not as approachable as Holbrook with a monotone image. But at the very beginning he explained what he expected from the team and he did say he wanted the side a very tough team to beat, I would say he had done that in a short space of time by way of the game with the Roosters.

Coming out of lockdown Woolf looked more relaxed and his briefings were more detailed, I think the players bought into his pattern of play and we saw quite a lot of pressure put onto the opposition. Yes we did have the occasional poor execution game but we've been like that for decades whatever coach we had at the time.

This year must be one of the most difficult seasons for a new coach to establish himself in Superleague, a 10 game winning run in the league tells me he is doing a good job overall.
    In another world.....he inherited a Champion squad who strolled their way to the title & immediately changed the whole modus operandi, he introduced a single Plan A that he hasn't deviated from, his offering is not entertaining, he can't seem to manage a change within a game, he is ultra cautious (Leeds team), he is naive (Salford team & JW captain apparently), by end of Friday we could be 3rd in the table (see other thread).
    Lots of opinions, this is mine.

Got A Season Ticket

In another world.....he inherited a Champion squad who strolled their way to the title & immediately changed the whole modus operandi, he introduced a single Plan A that he hasn't deviated from, his offering is not entertaining, he can't seem to manage a change within a game, he is ultra cautious (Leeds team), he is naive (Salford team & JW captain apparently), by end of Friday we could be 3rd in the table (see other thread).

& in which world did that champion team play flowing adaptive rugby at Wembley. Plan b didn't seem to be on show that day.

I would also like someone to point out the difference between how we played in the GF and the alleged current style.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Don't get me wrong I much preferred the rugby under Holbrook, but I remember many on here complaining that he only had a plan A. I think it was after a Warrington game that those views were particularly prevalent.