Thread: Walmsley banned

Banned

Default Walmsley banned

2 game ban. Absolute joke. Makes the wigan game more interesting

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    Makes the game less interesting.
    One of the best players in the competition.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Our other props will step up for the Goon game, expect Jammer to have a "stormer".

Banned

Ridiculous but not unexpected.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

It might sound daft but I’m actually a little bit glad Walmsley is missing the Wigan game. It will force us to work out how to win a big game (or not maybe) without relying on Big Al to smash it up through the middle. As we’ve seen we can look a little stunted when Walmsley is well defended, see the last 2 challenge cup games we lost to Warrington. Hopefully others will step up in the pack and we can come up with a more effective ‘plan B’ for those times when Walmsley isn’t having the impact we need for ‘plan A’ to work.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

So he's available to play today and then it's a 2 game ban? I wouldn't at all be surprised if the RFL decide after Friday, that the play offs will begin and ultimately we will be without our most important player.
    Last edited by SaintJon; 26th October 2020 at 16:36.

Starting A Programme Collection

Why does he have to play tonight. They banned him today so they should be able to count as one game.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

I know that each case is individually assessed...but has anyone else this season been banned for this ?

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    I do not understand this ban. To me it looked like an accident. On the night I was very surprised to see him yellow-carded at all if I'm honest. There was no intent to harm or injure, as far as I could see. Nor was it reckless. It won't have helped him that the Wigan-oriented Sky commentators wanted to highlight the contact. I wonder why? He'll be missed against the Pie Eaters. The only positive is he's getting a bit of a mid-season rest.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    It might sound daft but I’m actually a little bit glad Walmsley is missing the Wigan game. It will force us to work out how to win a big game (or not maybe) without relying on Big Al to smash it up through the middle. As we’ve seen we can look a little stunted when Walmsley is well defended, see the last 2 challenge cup games we lost to Warrington. Hopefully others will step up in the pack and we can come up with a more effective ‘plan B’ for those times when Walmsley isn’t having the impact we need for ‘plan A’ to work.
    Agree with this. Every cloud, etc.

But the decision is shocking. No intent and very little he could do to avoid it.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mr chips View Post
    Why does he have to play tonight. They banned him today so they should be able to count as one game.
    The ban comes into effect tomorrow.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    That'll be his ban increased then.

Learning All The Songs

if AW's ban is confirmed , what is Woolf's plan B ? Plan A revolves around AW carting up the middle.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    if AW's ban is confirmed , what is Woolf's plan B ? Plan A revolves around AW carting up the middle.
    Plan B is someone else carting it up the middle but less effectively.

In all seriousness I think the 1st half response & style of that response against Wakefield was directed by a group of senior players. I can't believe that KW changed the whole of his entrenched style & dogma overnight for that one game. They played like that in spite of him not because of him. He reigned things in at half time though didn't he. I would hope the same players get together again and develop their own plan for Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

the same plan A was on display last night but with inexperienced players trying to execute it so with less impact

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Makinson will start at Prop.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post

In all seriousness I think the 1st half response & style of that response against Wakefield was directed by a group of senior players. I can't believe that KW changed the whole of his entrenched style & dogma overnight for that one game. They played like that in spite of him not because of him. He reigned things in at half time though didn't he. I would hope the same players get together again and develop their own plan for Friday.

Do you think he's already lost the dressing room? He's lost me, that's for certain.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Do you think he's already lost the dressing room? He's lost me, that's for certain.
    I don't think he's lost the dressing room at all. If he did then our attitude in defence wouldn't be there IMO.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    I don't think he's lost the dressing room at all. If he did then our attitude in defence wouldn't be there IMO.
    Fair point but there's a sense of frustration for me.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post

Do you genuinely believe he instructed them to play a certain way and they then decided behind his back to do something different? Seriously come on!

I agree we aren't quite as open as under Holbrook but we are nowhere near as conservative as some people on here would like to make out.

A couple of stats for you:

We have scored 463 points in 16 games, averaging almost 30 points a game. (It's actually over 30 since lockdown and that includes the 10 from last night).
    We have scored nearly 100 points more than our nearest rival.

Now you don't get those results by simply "carting it up the middle." Yes we use Walmsley a lot but what's the point in having the best prop in the league and NOT using him? That would be ridiculous. If Walmsley and the rest of our pack can make ground through the middle then we'd be stupid not to do that. Would you prefer we throw it about in our own half like Hull KR for example? That schoolyard bullsh*t style rugby is alright on a Wednesday night playing tick and pass with your mates but it doesn't work in Super League.

Once we are in good field position we do go wide. Just look at some of the tries this season. In almost every game you will see examples of tries scored out wide. But you have to do the hard (and boring) stuff first more often than not.

Don't get me wrong Woolf is far from flawless. I questioned his team selections a few weeks ago when he was playing Knowles at 2nd row. For me that was a negative tactic. But I think some people (not aimed purely at you) really need to get a grip of reality. We are top of the league and are comfortably the league's top scorers. It's not all bad is it?!
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs theres only one stan wall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    What a ridiculous post.

10/12/1989 12-12 v Dewsbury (H) Regal Trophy.
    Att:5,847 (Loyal supporter ever since).

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

the same plan A was on display last night but with inexperienced players trying to execute it so with less impact
    I'm not sure that is correct. Last night I thought the young guys threw it around, look at the try we scored. They seemed to be playing their natural game rather than a couple of set moves with AW up the middle and a drop off to Knowles.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I'm not sure that is correct. Last night I thought the young guys threw it around, look at the try we scored. They seemed to be playing their natural game rather than a couple of set moves with AW up the middle and a drop off to Knowles.
    Is it worth pointing out that the try came from a drop off to Peyroux?
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Do you genuinely believe he instructed them to play a certain way and they then decided behind his back to do something different? Seriously come on!

I agree we aren't quite as open as under Holbrook but we are nowhere near as conservative as some people on here would like to make out.

A couple of stats for you:

We have scored 463 points in 16 games, averaging almost 30 points a game. (It's actually over 30 since lockdown and that includes the 10 from last night).
    We have scored nearly 100 points more than our nearest rival.

Now you don't get those results by simply "carting it up the middle." Yes we use Walmsley a lot but what's the point in having the best prop in the league and NOT using him? That would be ridiculous. If Walmsley and the rest of our pack can make ground through the middle then we'd be stupid not to do that. Would you prefer we throw it about in our own half like Hull KR for example? That schoolyard bullsh*t style rugby is alright on a Wednesday night playing tick and pass with your mates but it doesn't work in Super League.

Once we are in good field position we do go wide. Just look at some of the tries this season. In almost every game you will see examples of tries scored out wide. But you have to do the hard (and boring) stuff first more often than not.

Don't get me wrong Woolf is far from flawless. I questioned his team selections a few weeks ago when he was playing Knowles at 2nd row. For me that was a negative tactic. But I think some people (not aimed purely at you) really need to get a grip of reality. We are top of the league and are comfortably the league's top scorers. It's not all bad is it?!
    I know I'm one of his critics and my problem is this.

We started the season short on numbers and played conservatively as such, also not helped by the weather. Fair enough, we pushed the Roosters close but were generally crap.

We re-started on fire and blew teams away (I'm watching the Leeds game now). Were generally impressive in both attack and defense and got the plaudits as such. It was good to see.

From nowhere we went progressively more negative week on week for some unknown reason. Yes, we kept winning which is the most important thing but some of the games were outright boring. Added to that, he insisted on playing full strength sides against weakened opposition, then decided to throw a load of kids at game that was easily winable last night. That says to me, and I may be completely wrong on this but anyway:

He's insisting on playing this NRL style game as he wants a move back home.

He doesn't give a toss about youth development as such.

He's very limited tactically as it clearly doesn't suit us.

He's quite arrogant and knows he can get away with it due to this god awful season.