Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Ian Watson

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I can only assume Huddersfield have promised Watson a decent budget to play with and he feels they have a higher potential than Salford. They certainly produce a few of their own youngsters and in Sezer they have a player they can build a team around. Good luck to him.

However it does feel to me like he is killing time, with no disrespect to Huddersfield. It's only a matter of time until Saints, Wigan or Warrington have a vacancy and Watson will be near the top of any shortlist drawn up. He'll have a good crack at getting Huddersfield in and around the playoffs for the next year or 2 and then it's a case of who blinks first out of the "big 3."
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Starting A Programme Collection

Default Watson

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I can only assume Huddersfield have promised Watson a decent budget to play with and he feels they have a higher potential than Salford. They certainly produce a few of their own youngsters and in Sezer they have a player they can build a team around. Good luck to him.

However it does feel to me like he is killing time, with no disrespect to Huddersfield. It's only a matter of time until Saints, Wigan or Warrington have a vacancy and Watson will be near the top of any shortlist drawn up. He'll have a good crack at getting Huddersfield in and around the playoffs for the next year or 2 and then it's a case of who blinks first out of the "big 3."
    Must agree! That does make sense I wouldn’t be surprised if Saints will be his next club after KW

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

After Woolfe, I would like to think that we would give him a go. Any idea how long he has signed with Hudds?

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    After Woolfe, I would like to think that we would give him a go. Any idea how long he has signed with Hudds?
    No not yet. Just said on another forum that it'll be interesting to see how ling he signs for. He won't want to miss out on another job if/when it comes up.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Ken Davy is the 2nd richest owner in Superleague, worth more than Simon Moran. I suppose if he wants to he could bankroll Huddersfield to the limit.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Ken Davy is the 2nd richest owner in Superleague, worth more than Simon Moran. I suppose if he wants to he could bankroll Huddersfield to the limit.
    It'd be nice if the Giants had their own stadium if Ken could find some cash.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    It'd be nice if the Giants had their own stadium if Ken could find some cash.
    He already owns 20% of The John Smiths stadium with the rest split equally between the council and Huddersfield Town. Financial suicide to build another one.

No not yet. Just said on another forum that it'll be interesting to see how ling he signs for. He won't want to miss out on another job if/when it comes up.
    Thanks. I was hoping it is short term. Richard Marshall among the names sky are bandying about.

Banned

[QUOTE=Rogues Gallery;805693]He already owns 20% of The John Smiths stadium with the rest split equally between the council and Huddersfield Town. Financial suicide to build another one.[/QUOTE

It didn't start of that way. To guarantee a home for RL in Huddersfield it was the council who gave the RL club 15% of the stadium, hence 15% claret seats. At some point Ken Davy became involved due to his wife being a former Fartown fan. At a later stage he pulled the football club out of the mire and he owned both clubs. At that point I am not sure if he had the stadium shares for both clubs? The football fans accused him of asset stripping them and it caused some bad feeling. He sold the football side in the aftermath. Strangely Fartown was owned by a previous RL club Chairman who wouldn't sell to Davy. He wanted to build a joint training complex on the site for both clubs. He must be knocking on for 90, he stood for Parliament years ago.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Maybe Watson just felt he'd run his race at Salford. A GF and CC Final in twelve months is arguably as high as they'll ever get, and their prospects of making the Top 5 are probably slim in the next few years. It's logical sometimes to leave when you're well respected and have achieved something, instead of maybe harming your reputation by hanging around too long and not being to compete, and maybe losing a top job as a result.

Huddersfield looks like a stepping stone job for him, because they can reach the Top 5 and can arguably compete with anyone below us, Wire and Wigan. If Lam, Woolf, Price and Agar are all going nowhere for a year or two it makes sense to try to actually compete with them and then put himself top of the list when one moves on. In the meantime he'll have a better system around him and has likely been given certain guarantees over money and his squad. It could end up a disaster and they end up well out of the play off race, but from where I'm sitting Hudds are a better bet to challenge the top clubs than Salford right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Maybe Watson just felt he'd run his race at Salford. A GF and CC Final in twelve months is arguably as high as they'll ever get, and their prospects of making the Top 5 are probably slim in the next few years. It's logical sometimes to leave when you're well respected and have achieved something, instead of maybe harming your reputation by hanging around too long and not being to compete, and maybe losing a top job as a result.

Huddersfield looks like a stepping stone job for him, because they can reach the Top 5 and can arguably compete with anyone below us, Wire and Wigan. If Lam, Woolf, Price and Agar are all going nowhere for a year or two it makes sense to try to actually compete with them and then put himself top of the list when one moves on. In the meantime he'll have a better system around him and has likely been given certain guarantees over money and his squad. It could end up a disaster and they end up well out of the play off race, but from where I'm sitting Hudds are a better bet to challenge the top clubs than Salford right now.
    With No financial clout, He put together a decent squad at Salford. It will be interesting to say how they fare the next couple of years. I think your post on his reasoning makes perfect sense. He must also feel his job is more secure at Hudds with a benefactor rather than probably managing month to month at salford.

With No financial clout, He put together a decent squad at Salford. It will be interesting to say how they fare the next couple of years. I think your post on his reasoning makes perfect sense. He must also feel his job is more secure at Hudds with a benefactor rather than probably managing month to month at salford.
    Bearing in mind Salford have just been smashed 6 points for financial reasons, he could have been hamstrung there anyway going forward if there are potentially more skeletons in that particular wardrobe.....
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Bearing in mind Salford have just been smashed 6 points for financial reasons, he could have been hamstrung there anyway going forward if there are potentially more skeletons in that particular wardrobe.....
    There aren’t. They’ve basically been penalised for a historical breach which has now been cleared. It won’t impact them going forward.

There aren’t. They’ve basically been penalised for a historical breach which has now been cleared. It won’t impact them going forward.

There aren’t any more historical breaches of payments not being fulfilled? Or there aren’t going to be any in the future?

Looking at how they’ve been financially mismanaged in the past and current Covid issues impacting any revenues I might suggest it’s a little premature to be assured that financial issues won’t impact them going forward.

I admire your confidence however if the company I worked for were in dire straits I doubt I’d stay until it hit the proverbial iceberg. If there was another ride going, I’d jump ship....

Banned

I think you are being a touch harsh. The reason I get so annoyed at Nigel Wood and his disgraceful governance revolves around this. Salford had a stadium which was fit for purpose for them. Two seated stands, reasonable social facilities it was actually on three sides pretty new "40 years" RL to me is pretty new, and they owned it.

They like Saints and every other club came under framing for the future. They where another club bullied into a new stadia or be demoted. The new stadium was duly built and the RL business projection was for 8000 average crowds with a new stadium in the shadow of the Trafford Centre and wealthier areas such as Irlam and Urmston. It never happened and the club started to lose money rapidly. Marwan didn't buy the club he was given it, but in a very unorthodox way tried to get those 8000 people in the stadium, it will never get above 5000 no matter what. Now look at WAKEY not one penny spent and a basket case of a club, they can survive off that SKY money and may come out of all of this stronger than Saints and Leeds. That does not mean they are well run, it means certain clubs got away with it, thanks to that freak who ran our game then filled his boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    I think you are being a touch harsh. The reason I get so annoyed at Nigel Wood and his disgraceful governance revolves around this. Salford had a stadium which was fit for purpose for them. Two seated stands, reasonable social facilities it was actually on three sides pretty new "40 years" RL to me is pretty new, and they owned it.

They like Saints and every other club came under framing for the future. They where another club bullied into a new stadia or be demoted. The new stadium was duly built and the RL business projection was for 8000 average crowds with a new stadium in the shadow of the Trafford Centre and wealthier areas such as Irlam and Urmston. It never happened and the club started to lose money rapidly. Marwan didn't buy the club he was given it, but in a very unorthodox way tried to get those 8000 people in the stadium, it will never get above 5000 no matter what. Now look at WAKEY not one penny spent and a basket case of a club, they can survive off that SKY money and may come out of all of this stronger than Saints and Leeds. That does not mean they are well run, it means certain clubs got away with it, thanks to that freak who ran our game then filled his boots.
    Funny how people get different opinions of one another. The first link is the creep's view of himself. The second is how many fans including myself see him.

https://internationalsportsconventio...rs/nigel-wood/

https://www.change.org/p/rfl-nigel-w...-no-confidence

Learning All The Songs

Whoever decided on the location of the new stadium wants locking up; I live - as the crow flies - about 8 miles from the stadium, but for the ease of public transport to and from the stadium, or driving there on the motorway for kick-off times, it may as well be on the moon.

Slap bang next to one of the busiest junctions on the M60, with the whiff from the nearby sewage facility. It's rank.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    Whoever decided on the location of the new stadium wants locking up; I live - as the crow flies - about 8 miles from the stadium, but for the ease of public transport to and from the stadium, or driving there on the motorway for kick-off times, it may as well be on the moon.

Slap bang next to one of the busiest junctions on the M60, with the whiff from the nearby sewage facility. It's rank.
    Yes nobody could argue it's well positioned for people to walk up to the game at the last minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post

Agreed.

Whilst the facilities are good and its a modern stadium, it’s location on the same junction as the Trafford centre makes it a logistical nightmare!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Funny how people get different opinions of one another. The first link is the creep's view of himself. The second is how many fans including myself see him.

https://internationalsportsconventio...rs/nigel-wood/

https://www.change.org/p/rfl-nigel-w...-no-confidence
    There were others, Richard Lewis gave us a "glossy brochure" image to get the Sport England funding to put us in profit but didn't do anything with our underlying problems in the game, Brian Barwick was a joke just a figure head who only made an appearance when the Grand Final presentation took place. Nigel Wood just feathered his own nest then flew off despite being 5 years past his sell by date. Rimmer and Elstone are not much use either but they have the epidemic to lean on.

With Salford, if they were in the top 4 would the RFL have deducted the hisorical 6 points or would they have waited another year or wait to see if they were not in a contention position.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    There were others, Richard Lewis gave us a "glossy brochure" image to get the Sport England funding to put us in profit but didn't do anything with our underlying problems in the game, Brian Barwick was a joke just a figure head who only made an appearance when the Grand Final presentation took place. Nigel Wood just feathered his own nest then flew off despite being 5 years past his sell by date. Rimmer and Elstone are not much use either but they have the epidemic to lean on.

With Salford, if they were in the top 4 would the RFL have deducted the hisorical 6 points or would they have waited another year or wait to see if they were not in a contention position.
    Fully agree with your points on the administration. With regard to your last point, I thought the 6 point deduction was for forfeiting the game against Wire. But in earlier posts people say it was for a historical breach. Did I miss something??

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Fully agree with your points on the administration. With regard to your last point, I thought the 6 point deduction was for forfeiting the game against Wire. But in earlier posts people say it was for a historical breach. Did I miss something??
    I read that it was an historical breach from 2015 and they only decided to clear the matter when the stand by 7th place was going to take place, the Salford v Wakey game turned into a dead rubber within 24 hours.

Is the Huddersfield move confirmed yet? I'll be honest I thought Watson was absolutely nailed on to be the next coach of Saints. I've not got any insider knowledge or anything but it just seems like he's destined for the role

Banned

No argument with your rant about double standards regarding the Framing the Future debacle.

But just a word on Salford and the stadium move. Salford were skint, up to their necks in debt (the Willows was, IIRC, mortgaged to the hilt). The new stadium was initially to be built by a joint-venture that involved the club, but thus collapsed so a new JV was formed between Salford Council and Peel (at the time the Trafford Centre owners) who built it; Salford RL have always been just tenants.

Salford RL sold the Willows and paid debts off.

I think Peel already owned the land the stadium is on, and viewed building the stadium as another argument to help them get the Metro extended to the Trafford Centre (which Manchester Council opposed)

Worth noting that Salford average about 3.5k crowds, whilst the posh yawnion boys get 6.5k.

Annoying.

Thanks mate, hadn't seen anything about the historical breach.