Jungle Out There Banner
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 179

Thread: Ian Watson

  1. #76
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    573
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    People also seemingly forgetting that Daniel Anderson was very defence orientated.

    Always remember Wellens telling me that hed never worked under such a defensively drilled coach before.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    .......until now


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #77
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,464
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Well if we got rid of a coach that's top of the league with the comfortably best attack and best defence in league, I don't think we'd ever get another coach again
    Shades of Ellery Hanley.

  3. #78
    Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Moss Bank
    Posts
    1,850
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post
    He probably doesn't want to move to Hull, which I would imagine would be a pre-requisite for the Head coach there. Having to uproot his family - or moving on his own and not being able to see his family for months. The Hull job is a big gamble too, with strangely high expectations for success, and there are also 3 bigger clubs/better jobs over this side of the Pennines (Saints, Wigan, Wire) that he will be a front runner for in the next year, so probably not worth the gamble of going to Hull now and ruining the chance of getting those jobs.
    He will definitely be fixed up somewhere closer to home .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

  4. #79
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,638
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    People also seemingly forgetting that Daniel Anderson was very defence orientated.
    Some may have forgotten, but some haven't. 2006 was our year of dominance and Anderson is revered because we won the absolute lot that year, but we saw a substantial change from the free-wheeling creativity under Millward to the structural discipline under Anderson in a pretty short time, and I know that some of us on here of a certain vintage aren't as blown over by Anderson as others are. We had a fantastic and dominant side, but we were nowhere near as fun to watch as under his predecessor. The appointment of Anderson was pretty much the starting point of us going for defensively minded coaches, which led us to Potter, Simmons, Brown etc. Because Anderson won a few trophies with a brilliant team we assumed we could replicate it with lesser sides and coaches who weren't as talented, and we failed in the main. Anderson was a very good coach for us, but anyone who thinks he was Millward Mark II or even a Holbrook in terms of his desire for us play with style have lost some memory cells IMO.

  5. #80
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    4,857
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Some may have forgotten, but some haven't. 2006 was our year of dominance and Anderson is revered because we won the absolute lot that year, but we saw a substantial change from the free-wheeling creativity under Millward to the structural discipline under Anderson in a pretty short time, and I know that some of us on here of a certain vintage aren't as blown over by Anderson as others are. We had a fantastic and dominant side, but we were nowhere near as fun to watch as under his predecessor. The appointment of Anderson was pretty much the starting point of us going for defensively minded coaches, which led us to Potter, Simmons, Brown etc. Because Anderson won a few trophies with a brilliant team we assumed we could replicate it with lesser sides and coaches who weren't as talented, and we failed in the main. Anderson was a very good coach for us, but anyone who thinks he was Millward Mark II or even a Holbrook in terms of his desire for us play with style have lost some memory cells IMO.
    Millward was more of a Maverick coach whilst Anderson was more of an Astute coach. I did like the "unbeatables" tag we got from the Anderson tenure of dominance.

  6. #81
    Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,674
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    I think Watson is sensible to turn down the Hull job. Getting the Hull job is similar to getting a job at Leeds, Wigan or Saints.
    For most it can be their last job as unless they get an offer from the NRL not many step back down to other super league clubs.

    So the offer has to be enough to bankroll you into retirement if it all goes wrong and lets face it, it always goes wrong for those in the top job at Hull.

    A few more coppers in the jar for say 2 years at Hull and then potentially nothing after that
    Or keep making decent money at Salford, building teams and getting great performances out of a difficult situation, until a job offer comes up with the right money and the right prospects of success.

  7. #82
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,464
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Some may have forgotten, but some haven't. 2006 was our year of dominance and Anderson is revered because we won the absolute lot that year, but we saw a substantial change from the free-wheeling creativity under Millward to the structural discipline under Anderson in a pretty short time, and I know that some of us on here of a certain vintage aren't as blown over by Anderson as others are. We had a fantastic and dominant side, but we were nowhere near as fun to watch as under his predecessor. The appointment of Anderson was pretty much the starting point of us going for defensively minded coaches, which led us to Potter, Simmons, Brown etc. Because Anderson won a few trophies with a brilliant team we assumed we could replicate it with lesser sides and coaches who weren't as talented, and we failed in the main. Anderson was a very good coach for us, but anyone who thinks he was Millward Mark II or even a Holbrook in terms of his desire for us play with style have lost some memory cells IMO.
    The Millward era was my favourite rugby to watch. 2005 we were brilliant. I'll never for get one game (can't remember who we played) when we had no designated person behind the PTB. It was just the closest player, and our speed that day was at another level. Anderson inherited probably the best side I have ever seen.

  8. #83
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    366
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Millward team was great to watch , plus he had a swagger about him as a bloke that matched that team

    he was brash and his side ran from everywhere and played with a similar swagger as the coach

    That was the best saints team I've seen and it was the best to watch

    He seemed to be able to wind up the opposition fans to , so I guess that made us like him even more

    Anderson was a lot more reserved and not so "box office" his team played that way to

    Holbrook is a really likeable fella, his team played great stuff and he really got the club and the area

    woolf seems far more an Anderson type (proably even more dour) and his sides play in a less entertaining fashion

    Even if he wins the LLS and the grand final he won't be remembered as fondly as millward or Holbrook, both down to his personality and his style of rugby

    But if he wins two trophys this year he will go down as a success and is that what counts at the end of the day

  9. #84
    Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The Sintellins Metropolis
    Posts
    825
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    The Millward era was my favourite rugby to watch. 2005 we were brilliant. I'll never for get one game (can't remember who we played) when we had no designated person behind the PTB. It was just the closest player, and our speed that day was at another level. Anderson inherited probably the best side I have ever seen.
    That right hand side with Lyon, Albert and Vinnie Anderson was like watching 3 magicians, with passes going behind their backs, through their legs, over the top and everywhere else. Was fantastic to watch.
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

  10. #85
    In The South Stand Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    4,406
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    The Millward era was my favourite rugby to watch. 2005 we were brilliant. I'll never for get one game (can't remember who we played) when we had no designated person behind the PTB. It was just the closest player, and our speed that day was at another level. Anderson inherited probably the best side I have ever seen.
    I thought we went a bit stale towards the end of the Millward era. We had that fantastic cup win in Cardiff but I think in his last two full seasons we got unceremoniously booted out of the playoffs by Wigan. My favourite time under Millward was 2000 and 2001. Just magic - Newlove, Martyn, Cunningham, Long and Sculthorpe in their prime (how ridiculous is it that we had all of them in one team?), old favourites from the '90s like Sullivan, Nickle and Joynt still going strong, great imports like Fairleigh, Iro and Hoppe (underrated IMO) and the team playing rugby to die for.

  11. #86
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,698
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    The Millward era was my favourite rugby to watch. 2005 we were brilliant. I'll never for get one game (can't remember who we played) when we had no designated person behind the PTB. It was just the closest player, and our speed that day was at another level. Anderson inherited probably the best side I have ever seen.
    great to watch.....but we didn't win anything in 2005.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

  12. #87
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,079
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunFunk View Post
    That right hand side with Lyon, Albert and Vinnie Anderson was like watching 3 magicians, with passes going behind their backs, through their legs, over the top and everywhere else. Was fantastic to watch.
    Remember Vinnies tackle on Tickle - BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  13. #88
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    St Helens
    Age
    36
    Posts
    7,784
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Remember Vinnies tackle on Tickle - BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wasn't that tickle had said something to Anderson too

    Belter

  14. #89
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post
    great to watch.....but we didn't win anything in 2005.
    Reasons for that which I will never forget.

  15. #90
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    664
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Brill tackle . Then he stood over tickle. Who’s the daddy ,!

  16. #91
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,638
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post
    great to watch.....but we didn't win anything in 2005.
    2005 was a great season in the making IMO. Millward was sacked with us in great shape, and it was under Anderson that we got battered by Hull in the Cup SF and of course we then had some serious injuries heading into the play-offs. But 2005 could have been a fantastic season under different circumstances, and I enjoyed it more on a week to week basis than 2006 strangely.

  17. #92
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bury
    Posts
    927
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    after that shit show last night we should be on the phone to Watson with an offer and wave goodbye to Woolf.

  18. #93
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    4,339
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Some may have forgotten, but some haven't. 2006 was our year of dominance and Anderson is revered because we won the absolute lot that year, but we saw a substantial change from the free-wheeling creativity under Millward to the structural discipline under Anderson in a pretty short time, and I know that some of us on here of a certain vintage aren't as blown over by Anderson as others are. We had a fantastic and dominant side, but we were nowhere near as fun to watch as under his predecessor. The appointment of Anderson was pretty much the starting point of us going for defensively minded coaches, which led us to Potter, Simmons, Brown etc. Because Anderson won a few trophies with a brilliant team we assumed we could replicate it with lesser sides and coaches who weren't as talented, and we failed in the main. Anderson was a very good coach for us, but anyone who thinks he was Millward Mark II or even a Holbrook in terms of his desire for us play with style have lost some memory cells IMO.
    Whilst the Millward years were fantastic in terms of entertainment (with no shortage of silverware), I personally think we got the mix right with Anderson. He was very fortunate in that we had a team packed with brilliant, exciting players used to playing off the cuff attacking rugby. IMO we didn't lose too much attacking flair when we needed it, but our improved defence gave us an extra dimension. However, if he'd have taken over when Cunningham left, we'd have continued to struggle as we needed a coach devoted to us having more focus on attack.

    With all that in mind, I don't think Watson would be what we actually need. He's not really shown any indication an attacking coach. I know he's got limited tools to work with, but he's more of a pragmatic coach, trying to find a way to win, often in bigger games reverting to defence-oriented tactics (like against us in the GF)

    One thing we can all agree on is at the very least we have major concerns about Woolf and are extremely underwhelmed by his tactics.
    I f*cking hate wi*an. And rugby yawnion. And Tories. And Brexit f*ckwits.

  19. #94
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    773
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    We need to get this! Unless Wolfe goes back under his own volition he is here next season. in all honesty he deserves that opportunity in what hopefully will be a normal season. our problems run deeper than Woolfe. Culturally we are too nice and the football he tried to play last night is not what we are set up to do. However Justin didn't sweep the board trophy wise but we loved it. Wane swept the board trophy wise, would we have loved that? For what it is worth I think Watson and Rowley are the answer, but we are a soft club and I think Wolfe is trying to change that but Lees, Amor, LMS last night got bullied by feral average players.

  20. #95
    In The South Stand Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    3,373
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Whilst the Millward years were fantastic in terms of entertainment (with no shortage of silverware), I personally think we got the mix right with Anderson. He was very fortunate in that we had a team packed with brilliant, exciting players used to playing off the cuff attacking rugby. IMO we didn't lose too much attacking flair when we needed it, but our improved defence gave us an extra dimension. However, if he'd have taken over when Cunningham left, we'd have continued to struggle as we needed a coach devoted to us having more focus on attack.

    With all that in mind, I don't think Watson would be what we actually need. He's not really shown any indication an attacking coach. I know he's got limited tools to work with, but he's more of a pragmatic coach, trying to find a way to win, often in bigger games reverting to defence-oriented tactics (like against us in the GF)

    One thing we can all agree on is at the very least we have major concerns about Woolf and are extremely underwhelmed by his tactics.
    See I think the pragmatism of Watson is what we need, he's had to be like that with Salford who don't have the players we have. And beside, who else do we bring in? Do we bring in another Aussie who most likely will just use us a stepping stone or go with a British coach who we have more chance of a bit of continuity under? Holbrook was a great fit at the time, brought back the feel good factor but this clown is taking us backwards at a rate of knots.

  21. #96
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    573
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    I'm not too sure there's many Millward style coaches about now but at least we should try and halt what's happening in terms of how we set up, what our game plan is and importantly how we plot a course through a series of matches. If Watson can do those things then fine. It's no point throwing the ball about while targeting the wrong matches with the wrong plays and the wrong players.
    KW seems wedded to certain players at the expense of others and some of his selections are bizarre. He's inflexible in his approach, some may call it resolute and has in effect abandoned half of the team. The backs arnt being coached because I believe he doesn't understand them and hasn't got the breath of knowledge or expertise to do anything with them. Just an opinion but in general an ex player who spent his career in the forwards rarely makes a top coach (no doubt there's been loads of successes) but I'd much prefer someone who has the capacity to develop the game plan and tactics from a back line perspective and that could well be an ex player from the backs himself or someone, like happens in other sports, who was never a recognised player but has studied their trade and has the mental capacity to execute a range of plans and engage all of his squad.
    The way KW has managed his way though these last 2 weeks in particular with his team selections and his game plans is scandalous and we need a change. I don't know if Watson is the man but I think he'll be an improvement on what we have now.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #97
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    7,464
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    See I think the pragmatism of Watson is what we need, he's had to be like that with Salford who don't have the players we have. And beside, who else do we bring in? Do we bring in another Aussie who most likely will just use us a stepping stone or go with a British coach who we have more chance of a bit of continuity under? Holbrook was a great fit at the time, brought back the feel good factor but this clown is taking us backwards at a rate of knots.
    Watson would be a gamble, never managing a big club, but through his achievements with Salford he is probably worth gambling on.
    Personally I am fed up of changing coaches I think it's seven in the past 7 years. at least with Watson he would be here until we said time enough.

  23. #98
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    4,857
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Watson would be a gamble, never managing a big club, but through his achievements with Salford he is probably worth gambling on.
    Personally I am fed up of changing coaches I think it's seven in the past 7 years. at least with Watson he would be here until we said time enough.
    Would still let Woolf finish his contractural second year, he hasn't really inherited a great team no Thompson and Percival missing most of the season and an ageing pack past their best. He's got 3 or 4 new players coming next season to freshen up that pack and he needs to get Dodd challenging for Fages who is too inconsistent this season.

  24. #99
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,020
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    TBF, would get rid of Woolf for Watson right now.

  25. #100
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Maghull
    Posts
    1,136
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Do people not understand the concept of a contract? We can't just sack Woolf and appoint Watson. That would mean two sets of compensation, in a year where the club's income has been massively reduced

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •