Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ian Watson

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I heard 2 or 3 months ago, from a pie who's normally clued up on this sort of things, that Lam was being binned there at the end of this season and Watson was nailed on to take over.

But Lam now has the scum poised to nab the LLS, so to sack him off after that (even second with that squad is an achievement) would be tough.
    Earlier in the year the very credible rumour was that Matty Peet was being primed for the top job after Lam. Leuluai and O'Loughlin as assistants.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I heard 2 or 3 months ago, from a pie who's normally clued up on this sort of things, that Lam was being binned there at the end of this season and Watson was nailed on to take over.

But Lam now has the scum poised to nab the LLS, so to sack him off after that (even second with that squad is an achievement) would be tough.
    Lam's problem has been the crunch games. They've flopped. Thus far.

I wouldn't put it past them getting it right soon enough & they are well capable of winning the comp. I think Wire will do it this time though in all honesty

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Just wondering why Watson turned down a really good job at Hull ? mm.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Starting A Programme Collection HoofeHearted's Avatar

A new (Free) video just put up on Saints TV, is an interview with Watson bigging up the young Saints players at last night's match.
    https://tv.saintsrlfc.com/2020/10/27...ts-youngsters/
    Phil Vievers...Balls...Joan Collins...Try...Orgasmic... RH the living legend.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoofeHearted View Post
    A new (Free) video just put up on Saints TV, is an interview with Watson bigging up the young Saints players at last night's match.
    https://tv.saintsrlfc.com/2020/10/27...ts-youngsters/
    Quite enthusiastic about us there isn’t he....
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Just wondering why Watson turned down a really good job at Hull ? mm.
    He probably doesn't want to move to Hull, which I would imagine would be a pre-requisite for the Head coach there. Having to uproot his family - or moving on his own and not being able to see his family for months. The Hull job is a big gamble too, with strangely high expectations for success, and there are also 3 bigger clubs/better jobs over this side of the Pennines (Saints, Wigan, Wire) that he will be a front runner for in the next year, so probably not worth the gamble of going to Hull now and ruining the chance of getting those jobs.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

Starting A Programme Collection HoofeHearted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    My thoughts exactly
    Phil Vievers...Balls...Joan Collins...Try...Orgasmic... RH the living legend.

I think Hull is a massive job for anyone.
    They have always spent big and apart from a couple of Challenge Cup wins not much to show for it.
    Many big signings have not performed.
    Can't help but feel there must be a deeply embedded culture problem at that club.
    I have no evidence to back that up its just a hunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    They have always spent big and apart from a couple of Challenge Cup wins not much to show for it.
    Can't help but feel there must be a deeply embedded culture problem at that club.
    No top half team gets beat by 50, 60 and 70 points that frequently without having a culture problem

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    If Hull ever cracked it and became the force they were in the 80s they blow the likes of Wire out of the water in terms of size of club and support, and would probably give Leeds a good run for their money in terms of crowds. People talk about RL towns, but for me, Hull is THE rugby league town/city, and they’ve been constantly let down by their clubs over the last twenty years or so.

Being a coach that won a title at Hull and then presided over a 5-10 year period of success would be a massive thing for anyone, and it would be as fulfilling and as emotional than doing it anywhere else given that they’ve not won a title for a long time. I think it’s a massive job in our game, and eventually someone will crack it for a sustained period.

Got A Replica Shirt

Who'd take on that job when the owner publicly sacked the previous manager live, on TV.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by hillsider View Post
    Who'd take on that job when the owner publicly sacked the previous manager live, on TV.
    Radford wasn’t sacked on TV though, it was announced first on TV but the two aren’t the same. It was unnecessary and a bit unprofessional but it wasn’t as bad as everyone made out and it’s certainly not a reason to turn a club down. Radford survived a lot longer than he should have, given Hull had been rubbish for a long time. If anything the amount of time Radford got should make the job more appealing.

Banned

I seen that earlier and thought the same, like he was already running through plays with Dodd in his head.

Learning All The Songs

The Hull job is a massive upgrade on the Salford job, he’s obviously turning it down because he knows that whichever job out of Saints, Wigan and Wire is next available, he’s getting. Wouldn’t shock me at all if he’s been told he’s our next coach after Woolf, given he only lost out to him. We’d be better off getting rid of Woolf now while Watson’s still available but as that’s not happening we’ll just have to hope Lam and Steve Price are both still in a job by the start of next season.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    The Hull job is a massive upgrade on the Salford job, he’s obviously turning it down because he knows that whichever job out of Saints, Wigan and Wire is next available, he’s getting. Wouldn’t shock me at all if he’s been told he’s our next coach after Woolf, given he only lost out to him. We’d be better off getting rid of Woolf now while Watson’s still available but as that’s not happening we’ll just have to hope Lam and Steve Price are both still in a job by the start of next season.
    I,m not totally convinced that Watson could be our man, also if Woolf engineers a win on Friday against the Goons he will be "flavour of the month". I remember Holbrook self diagnosed himself as a failure in his first full season and I think Woolf deserves a second season he has had too many external distractions this season.

Starting A Programme Collection

If Watson did get the job after Woolf and stayed anything like 4-5 years then I think we’d lose Wellens and I’d dearly love to see him as head coach in a couple of years time.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I,m not totally convinced that Watson could be our man, also if Woolf engineers a win on Friday against the Goons he will be "flavour of the month". I remember Holbrook self diagnosed himself as a failure in his first full season and I think Woolf deserves a second season he has had too many external distractions this season.
    It all depends on what the individual fan wants I suppose. Am I thrilled with Woolf? No. Do I think we can win a Grand Final under him? Yes.

To some the second question is all that counts, and if we win a league title then the coach is the right man. I get that, and whilst I've moaned about him it's only ever been style I've questioned because I've always felt we'd be fine results wise. To others the first question matters more. Do we like the style of play, are we excited, do we think the coach gets the club, is he going to stick around, etc. To me that's important, and I've always felt that we could be successful with this team but actually do it better, and we did that under Holbrook despite losing a few big games along the way.

Woolf will definitely get the second year, and nobody is going to fire a coach for finishing 1st or 2nd in a messed up season in the middle of a pandemic. And we may well win two league titles under him, and that may be all that counts. But maybe we could have won two league titles under someone else better suited to the club who then wanted to win another couple and hang around for years. Who knows.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    If Watson did get the job after Woolf and stayed anything like 4-5 years then I think we’d lose Wellens and I’d dearly love to see him as head coach in a couple of years time.
    Or he could go off elsewhere and prove himself as a head coach first and then come back to Saints having earned it on his coaching CV rather than just as an ex-Saints player.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    If Watson did get the job after Woolf and stayed anything like 4-5 years then I think we’d lose Wellens.
    Why?

He has a good gig in the backroom (with power and influence) which stays while Head coaches come and go , he also has international involvement.

I doubt he would cut off his nose to spite his face.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Or he could go off elsewhere and prove himself as a head coach first and then come back to Saints having earned it on his coaching CV rather than just as an ex-Saints player.
    This would be my view although we're all entitled to one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    It all depends on what the individual fan wants I suppose. Am I thrilled with Woolf? No. Do I think we can win a Grand Final under him? Yes.

To some the second question is all that counts, and if we win a league title then the coach is the right man. I get that, and whilst I've moaned about him it's only ever been style I've questioned because I've always felt we'd be fine results wise. To others the first question matters more. Do we like the style of play, are we excited, do we think the coach gets the club, is he going to stick around, etc. To me that's important, and I've always felt that we could be successful with this team but actually do it better, and we did that under Holbrook despite losing a few big games along the way.

Woolf will definitely get the second year, and nobody is going to fire a coach for finishing 1st or 2nd in a messed up season in the middle of a pandemic. And we may well win two league titles under him, and that may be all that counts. But maybe we could have won two league titles under someone else better suited to the club who then wanted to win another couple and hang around for years. Who knows.
    I suppose we could ask the questions which current superleague club is consistently playing with style and flair, which superleague club has a coach has the best potential to win a high percentage of games and lastly were do you see Woolf if there was a league of superleague coaches from 1 to 11.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Why?

He has a good gig in the backroom (with power and influence) which stays while Head coaches come and go , he also has international involvement.

I doubt he would cut off his nose to spite his face.
    Or maybe he'd just fancy a crack at head coach somewhere else.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I suppose we could ask the questions which current superleague club is consistently playing with style and flair, which superleague club has a coach has the best potential to win a high percentage of games and lastly were do you see Woolf if there was a league of superleague coaches from 1 to 11.
    Also given the title of this thread how would Watson fare?

I said on another thread that Saints played the more free flowing rugby last night.

Having given it more thought Watson would get crucified on here if he coached us to play like Salford did last night (& to a similar but lesser extent in the Cup Final. Two barge overs and nothing else.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind Watson at Saints but the idea that we will become the Harlom Globetrotters is laughable.

Woolfe may have his faults but the over reaction and near obsession with him is odd.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Do you think that was his second application for the job here? Ivé never heard a coach so enthusiastic about the opposition, but i don't remember a game where we played so many youngsters. Reminded me a bit of a game many years ago, when Blackbrook played York at KR in the challenge cup and pushed them until the end.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

With regards to our playing style with Woolf vs Holbrook, he probably isn't anywhere near as expansive however it's probably worth noting that we've not played in the dry months this year - no games in half of March, April, May, June and July, where generally we're more expansive..

We're setting up for the playoffs (whatever that looks like) where it'll be wet and windy