Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ian Watson

In The South Stand

Default Ian Watson

New Hull coach according to several Twitter Tweets.

I heard it was Ward.
    Maybe not then.

Banned

Seen this myself. Looks like we're stuck with Woolfe for another season then.

Marshall to Huddersfield is the latest rumour.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Rejected Hull’s approach, staying at Salford. Maybe waiting until a spot opens up at Saints, Wigan or Wite.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Rejected Hull’s approach, staying at Salford. Maybe waiting until a spot opens up at Saints, Wigan or Wite.
    Surprised me I have to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

I don't know anything about the personal life of Ian Watson but to do the Hull gig properly you have to move over there and that means if you have a family uprooting them.

Adam Pearson, he sacked Radford on SKY, so it would take a very big contract offer both in length of contract and remunerations to tempt you across.

Would Watson be able to take his own staff or does he inherit everything currently in situ! including one or two show pony players.

I think Watson and Rowley will end up at Saints, its just wont be next season. I do think Wolfe likes having Jammer around and don't think in the circumstances he is doing a bad job, its if he really wants to be here beyond 2 years.

Probably a smart move, I reckon. The Hull job is a poisoned chalice. A squad with no backbone, fans who will expect instant success and a chairman who sacks coaches on live TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    I don't know anything about the personal life of Ian Watson but to do the Hull gig properly you have to move over there and that means if you have a family uprooting them.

Adam Pearson, he sacked Radford on SKY, so it would take a very big contract offer both in length of contract and remunerations to tempt you across.

Would Watson be able to take his own staff or does he inherit everything currently in situ! including one or two show pony players.

I think Watson and Rowley will end up at Saints, its just wont be next season. I do think Wolfe likes having Jammer around and don't think in the circumstances he is doing a bad job, its if he really wants to be here beyond 2 years.
    Part of Watson’s statement: “But, with the timing and the circumstances surrounding everything, with my girls in their final year of A Levels and GCSE’s, it was maybe a bit too early for that”

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I tweeted last night half in jest that he’s holding out for the Saints job. I have absolutely nothing to support that bar the fact we reportedly spoke to him prior to appointing Woolf. It’s fair to say his stock has risen since then so if the stars align so to speak and he’s still at Salford when Woolf’s time is up, I think it would be a great move for all parties.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

I’d be amazed if he didn’t end up at Saints or Wigan in the next 18 months. Even if Woolf turns in two successful seasons he will return to the NRL and if he’s less successful we are likely to look elsewhere. Unlike an Aussie coach if he does the business he will more than likely stick around. I’m not anti Woolf by the way, just the way it could pan out

Woolf signed a 2 year deal but with the option of a 3rd year if I remember rightly. There’s lots of ifs and buts depending on our success this year and next plus his own ambitions,etc. But it could be that in 12 months time he’s heading home. For me Watson would be no.1 choice at that point.

Not only has he done a great job at Salford I also think he comes across really really well. He seems like an honest, down to earth bloke. His interviews aren’t full of cliches and bullsh*t. I think he would be a great fit for us and would be very popular amongst the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I tweeted last night half in jest that he’s holding out for the Saints job. I have absolutely nothing to support that bar the fact we reportedly spoke to him prior to appointing Woolf. It’s fair to say his stock has risen since then so if the stars align so to speak and he’s still at Salford when Woolf’s time is up, I think it would be a great move for all parties.
    It was down to him or Woolfe. They were the final two so he was very close to landing the Saints job.

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    It was down to him or Woolfe. They were the final two so he was very close to landing the Saints job.

Yeah I remember hearing that (it might have been you who told me actually haha).

A lot can happen in 12 months for the better or worse but if someone offered me Watson for 2022 right now I'd take it without question.

Woolf signed a 2 year deal but with the option of a 3rd year if I remember rightly. There’s lots of ifs and buts depending on our success this year and next plus his own ambitions,etc. But it could be that in 12 months time he’s heading home. For me Watson would be no.1 choice at that point.

Not only has he done a great job at Salford I also think he comes across really really well. He seems like an honest, down to earth bloke. His interviews aren’t full of cliches and bullsh*t. I think he would be a great fit for us and would be very popular amongst the fans.
    I really like him , straight talking and always has a positive outlook . He is clearly a fantastic man manager and leader . However the question remains at what he can do with a top four club That remains to be seen .

He has got a very average team to two finals which in itself is a great achievement . It would be a slight gamble for saints , Wigan or Wire to take a punt on him however I would rather saints take that punt than either or .

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Think back a couple of seasons, a lot of people on here were drooling over Powell. Gets the best out of players, plays the attacking Saints style, taken an average team to the heights. How many would have him now?
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Watson himself said he was in the last two for Saints job, and Woolf got the nod. He also said he would still be interested in the future.

Edit Sorry just seen Reacher's same response.

Very true . I was a big fan of his to . Now like watching him for entertainment value when he has his moaning rants and brain explosions

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    Think back a couple of seasons, a lot of people on here were drooling over Powell. Gets the best out of players, plays the attacking Saints style, taken an average team to the heights. How many would have him now?

Banned

You can only judge people off the present. Powell has gone stale at Cas so maybe he should've moved when he had the chance.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    You can only judge people off the present. Powell has gone stale at Cas so maybe he should've moved when he had the chance.
    if Watson isn't going to Hull ,maybe they will go after Powell?

I can see why it must be frustrating for coaches like Powell and Watson who build a decent side out of nothing, then have their best players cherry picked and have to start over again. Think with Powell he started to believe his own hype that was the problem. After a few years doing well with a club like Castleford or Salford you need to take advantage of your ‘success’ and move on to bigger and better things. For Powell his chance at one of the big 4 (Saints, Wigan, Wire, Leeds) jobs has probably gone (for now) but he’d easily get a job at any of the other super league clubs.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Personality wise, a big difference between Powell and Watson is that Watson always seems enthusiastic, whereas when Cas lose the whole world is against Powell. Sometimes including his own team.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Personality wise, a big difference between Powell and Watson is that Watson always seems enthusiastic, whereas when Cas lose the whole world is against Powell. Sometimes including his own team.
    Spot on. Powell is a miserable so and so and not very likeable at all. Obviously I don't know what he is like behind closed doors in and around the team but purely from what you see on TV I know which of the two I would rather play for.

Banned

I heard 2 or 3 months ago, from a pie who's normally clued up on this sort of things, that Lam was being binned there at the end of this season and Watson was nailed on to take over.

But Lam now has the scum poised to nab the LLS, so to sack him off after that (even second with that squad is an achievement) would be tough.