Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Ian Watson

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Scrum Down View Post
    After all, what are achievements between rugby clubs eh?
    I just can't understand why supporters of other clubs take the trouble to register their details in order to make remarks about a club they "can't stand" purely with the intention of baiting, its just childish, I make an exception to a certain Wigan supporter who also makes contributions in a light hearted way often about the game in general. I read the cas forum and web warriors occasionally , but would never thing of registering just to make peurile comments. Like redvee those forums are specifically for their fans use. I honestly don't know if Warrington have a dedicated fans forum other than their RL fans site, perhaps it's because its not a big enough club for me to be bothered about finding out

Quote Originally Posted by Scrum Down View Post
    After all, what are achievements between rugby clubs eh?
    If he wants to compare, he should look at Widnes, the natural rival for them geographically and historically- although they’re in a bad place at the moment they have a greater history and are a more successful club than wire.
    Before Widnes’ unfortunate decline, Saints never really took a great deal of notice of Wire because of the reasons previously stated. Our natural rivals are Wigan and Leeds, previously we would include Widnes and Bradford because of actual achievement and status.
    Once Wire lost Widnes as a local rival their desperate and deluded fans have done all they can to make up a rivalry with Saints, but the reality is they are not really considered that by us. A few semi’s and one final win doesn’t change that.
    And as for crowd numbers, even when they’re doing well, they can’t get much above 5000 home supporters for a semi final.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    Im not disputing our underachievement, just your fans' deluded arrogance and lack of respect for other clubs. You might not like Warrington (I can't stand saints, but I give them their due and respect their achievements), but, bar achievements, they're clubs of similar size. If Warrington had gained similar success to yourselves, I'm be certain we'd have a larger following as we get similar attendances to you at present.
    Not really arrogance is it. In fact there's been quite a lot of respect on the other thread for the size and achievements of a number of other clubs (mainly Leeds and Wigan). Excluding achievements as part of any measurement of a club's stature is just unbelievably silly and probably more arrogant.

Not sure your attendances are that similar either tbh. For the last five years it's 11300 Saints, 10200 Wire (I've done you a favour by not going back further). Seven of the last ten full seasons Saints have had average attendances higher than Wire's highest in that period, and one of the other three seasons we were in Widnes.

Fair play though you're doing some good stuff off the field, particularly around inclusion with PDRL teams etc, even if turnover has stagnated a little over the last few years. And obviously Wire are competitive on the field too with a couple of Challenge Cup wins in the last decade.

Very similar to Hull in fact over the short term, albeit again with lower attendances and admittedly Hull fans don't have to go back to when dinosaurs roamed the earth for a league title.
    Last edited by Private Pyle; 27th July 2021 at 11:13.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    Not really arrogance is it. In fact there's been quite a lot of respect on this thread for the size and achievements of a number of other clubs (mainly Leeds and Wigan). Excluding achievements as part of any measurement of a club's stature is just unbelievably silly and probably more arrogant.

Not sure your attendances are that similar either tbh. For the last five years it's 11300 Saints, 10200 Wire (I've done you a favour by not going back further). Seven of the last ten full seasons Saints have had average attendances higher than Wire's highest in that period, and one of the other three seasons we were in Widnes.

Fair play though you're doing some good stuff off the field, particularly around inclusion with PDRL teams etc, even if turnover has stagnated a little over the last few years. And obviously Wire are competitive on the field too with a couple of Challenge Cup wins in the last decade.

Very similar to Hull in fact over the short term, albeit again with lower attendances and admittedly Hull fans don't have to go back to when dinosaurs roamed the earth for a league title.
    Really good post.

I totally agree that achievements are a big part in determining the size of the club, but I'd also say that we've been involved in a number of GF loses in addition to our CC wins, indicating that we're not as small and as insignificant as some on here believe. Your comparison of attendances also shows that our club must be of a reasonable size given that our attendances are only slightly lower than a 'legacy club' who have achieved much more.

St Helens are a bigger club, but aside from achievements, there isn't a great deal of difference with regards to attendances, player rosta, stadium etc.

I'm not comparing oranges with oranges here, but would you describe Leicester FC as a bigger club than say Tottenham, Everton, Arsenal and Leeds? Leicester have been much more successful honours-wise, but the size of the club is generally determined by many factors, as mentioned. Arsenal are behind the likes of Notts Forest, Villa in the big one European Cup, are they bigger clubs than Arsenal.

So respect to you guys as a club - extremely successful in terms of silverware and something we're striving to emulate, but for those who believe Warrington to be some small insignificant club, wake up and smell the coffee. If some of you are getting a bit complacent, apparently not fussed that we have the Indian sign over you in knockout games for the past 8 years (I think it is), and not checking your mirrors: we will get there, eventually at some point.

NB, when we last won the championship, as you say when dinosaurs last roamed the Earth, we had the world record attendance for an RL event with Halifax, still unsurpassed if the unofficial figure of c.120000 is used.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Im not disputing our underachievement, just your fans' deluded arrogance and lack of respect for other clubs. You might not like Warrington (I can't stand saints, but I give them their due and respect their achievements), but, bar achievements, they're clubs of similar size. If Warrington had gained similar success to yourselves, I'm be certain we'd have a larger following as we get similar attendances to you at present.
    Their is quite a difference in the benchmark respect between Warrington and the other clubs like Wigan, Leeds and Saints.

Those 3 clubs don’t trash other fans coaches and cars, show agression to fans leaving the stadium, attack a V.I.P stand and send deaths threats to a referee.

I'm not comparing oranges with oranges here, but would you describe Leicester FC as a bigger club than say Tottenham, Everton, Arsenal and Leeds? Leicester have been much more successful honours-wise, but the size of the club is generally determined by many factors, as mentioned. Arsenal are behind the likes of Notts Forest, Villa in the big one European Cup, are they bigger clubs than Arsenal.

Err

Not really much of a football fan but pretty confident that Everton, Spurs, Arsenal and Leeds have all won a lot more than Leicester?

Regardless, Warrington are a small club compared to St Helens, Leeds and Wigan which was the original and clearly accepted point.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Err

Not really much of a football fan but pretty confident that Everton, Spurs, Arsenal and Leeds have all won a lot more than Leicester?

Regardless, Warrington are a small club compared to St Helens, Leeds and Wigan which was the original and clearly accepted point.
    Man City and Chelsea must be small clubs going by your logic.

Tbh though, you seem to be a few sandwiches short of a picnic if you can't see the bigger picture, that the size of a club is defined by more than just honours. I guess PSG with the highest squad cost are a small club too?

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

I've found the photo of the Warrington supporters band from when they last won the league

Tbh though, you seem to be a few sandwiches short of a picnic if you can't see the bigger picture, that the size of a club is defined by more than just honours. I guess PSG with the highest squad cost are a small club too?
    What are you on ?
    Why are you even on here ?
    You are trying to win an argument that no one else is interested in, can you not see that ? Respect is earned and Wire have not yet done enough to be respected as a major rival. The pies & whinos have certainly earned our respect. You cannot demand respect, you have to be given it. In 10 years or so after you have racked up some SL grand final wins, no doubt you will have earned our respect.

So you are completely wrong about Leicester so come up with a nonsensical argument about Manchester City and Chelsea (Multiple title winners) being a small club.

PSG have won plenty of honours too, but this is like bringing the Sydney Roosters into an argument that you’ve already lost.

Typical “Small man/small team” mentality.

btw If I’m a few sandwiches short, you’re an amoeba. (Look it up on Wikipedia, you can look up how many titles Chelsea, PSG and Man City have won whilst your at it)

It’s not that long ago (Aug 2019) you were telling us how much better than you we were. Since then we’ve won an LLS, 2 GF and a CC…..

I wish it would be that way. But i reckon you'll do the 3 this year. It's painful thinking about it. All those 'wankey wankey' tunes, and ' it's always your
    year'- unbearable! But credit to Saints.

I think everyone's biggest signing is Holbrook leaving. What a fantastic coach. Apparently Coote said that he was the best coach he'd ever played under. Imagine if Holbrook had been coach at Warrington- we can only dream. Price is a lovely chap, but no where near on the same level for me.i don't think anyone else is. He'll rip it up in the NRL I'm sure, like Trent Robinson.
    Last edited by RJM25R; 27th July 2021 at 14:02.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    So you are completely wrong about Leicester so come up with a nonsensical argument about Manchester City and Chelsea (Multiple title winners) being a small club.

PSG have won plenty of honours too, but this is like bringing the Sydney Roosters into an argument that you’ve already lost.

Typical “Small man/small team” mentality.

btw If I’m a few sandwiches short, you’re an amoeba. (Look it up on Wikipedia, you can look up how many titles Chelsea, PSG and Man City have won whilst your at it)

It’s not that long ago (Aug 2019) you were telling us how much better than you we were. Since then we’ve won an LLS, 2 GF and a CC…..
    PSG in the Champions League, the biggest prize, like the GF is to our sport, have 0 Champions league wins compared to 2 by Nottingham Forest. I think even you might recognise that PSG are so much bigger because factors other than silverware are taken in to account. Or are you going to tell me that Forest are bigger than PSG?

Just worry about sorting that missing sandwich rather than overstretching yourself into the realms of science.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

By the way, I'm not seeking any approval of any saints fans, I'm just putting you straight with regards to Warrington being a 'small club' and hopefully providing you with a sense of reality. You're going to need a sense of reality next season if you don't sort your pivots out.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

By the way, I'm not seeking any approval of any saints fans, I'm just putting you straight with regards to Warrington being a 'small club' and hopefully providing you with a sense of reality. You're going to need a sense of reality next season if you don't sort your pivots out.
    We’ve gone through transitional periods with a worse team and better opposition and still never not made the play offs. Even if we don’t win the grand final this year I’m sure we can stomach a couple of lean years following back to back championships and a challenge cup win.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

On a serious note, I'm certain you'll be fine what with the constant stream of quality young talent coming through your system.

Banned

Wigan fans must •••• themselves laughing at you lot on here constantly lauding yourselves.

Our collection of silverware over the past 25 years in comparison to theirs is a real rib-tickler to them.

As you said earlier, dynasties have to start somewhere. In 1982, the wi*an honours list wasn't that much better than ours (2 more league titles; 2 more CC's). Yet they had a golden period ('with the help of some financial backing' ) that hugely lifted them above everyone else.

Only an imbecile would rubbish one club's list of honours because of a 'golden period' whilst disregarding the importance of another club's golden period in their honours totals.

(PS - speaking of 'golden periods', all of your club's mighty haul of three league titles came during a mini-golden period over 8 post-WW2 years. Outside of that...zilch.)

Got A Season Ticket

Gone are the days when Ian Watson was the topic of discussion on this thread. It’s been reduced to obvious fishing and for reasons unknown many people biting.

Banned

but would you describe Leicester FC as a bigger club than say Tottenham, Everton, Arsenal and Leeds?

Very much so.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Our collection of silverware over the past 25 years in comparison to theirs is a real rib-tickler to them.

As you said earlier, dynasties have to start somewhere. In 1982, the wi*an honours list wasn't that much better than ours (2 more league titles; 2 more CC's). Yet they had a golden period ('with the help of some financial backing' ) that hugely lifted them above everyone else.

Only an imbecile would rubbish one club's list of honours because of a 'golden period' whilst disregarding the importance of another club's golden period in their honours totals.

That era was also reliant on huge overspending which eventually cost them their ground. I could live the millionaire lifestyle and out do a few around me for a little while but I'd be homeless soon enough

PSG in the Champions League, the biggest prize, like the GF is to our sport, have 0 Champions league wins compared to 2 by Nottingham Forest. I think even you might recognise that PSG are so much bigger because factors other than silverware are taken in to account. Or are you going to tell me that Forest are bigger than PSG?

Just worry about sorting that missing sandwich rather than overstretching yourself into the realms of science.

Nonsensical.

The champions league is a competition with the elite football teams who finish top of their league (or in the top few) and winning multiple championships doesn’t guarantee winning the champions league.

It’s closer to the WCC.

That’s a game between the GRAND FINAL winners of the top countries in Rugby League. Not that I expect you to be an expert on this tournament, for obvious reasons…..

You seem quite balanced, perhaps a chip on each shoulder?
    Last edited by RJM25R; 27th July 2021 at 20:09.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Why is anyone still communicating with this knuckle dragger? Its probably one of the gormless folk who stand near the big screen at the Geri Halliwell trying to goad the big clubs away support when they come to town. Don’t feed the troll, troll will go away.

Got A Replica Shirt

Compared to Wigan's 16 championships and 14 challenge cups at this point, your club's standing would only be slightly bigger than ours and not in the same stratosphere as Wigan's, so don't delude yourself.

Rugby league has been around for 120+ years and you were fairly irrelevant for the first half of that. Since SL, with the help of some financial backing, you've done extremely well. But it makes me laugh when people like you put down other clubs whilst, at the same time, putting yourselves in the same bracket as Wigan because you've been more successful than usual in the most recent segment of RL history. Wigan fans must •••• themselves laughing at you lot on here constantly lauding yourselves.
    I never mentioned Wigan. All I did was compare our two club’s achievements up to 1996. We had won 4 more championships than Warrington. Warrington have still only ever won 3. So how on earth can you say Saints and Wire were comparable in 1996. Are you belittling how hard it is to win 4 championships. Would be strange given you have only won 3 in your entire history. By the way Warrington have lost more games to Saints than any other team (L103 W48) and funnily enough at the point of Super League starting we beat Warrington 80-0. As I said previously ‘Utterly deluded’.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Why is anyone still communicating with this knuckle dragger? Its probably one of the gormless folk who stand near the big screen at the Geri Halliwell trying to goad the big clubs away support when they come to town. Don’t feed the troll, troll will go away.
    Completely agree, this post is headed Ian Watson, time for it to either end or go back to Huddersfields chances in the future, I'll start, I like Watson he seems to get the best out of his players like Wane but without resorting to the dark arts of the game, I would like to see Huddersfield become a major player again to make the league even more comptetitive

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    I was just going to post similar when I read your post. A complete idiot that probably loves the attention he is being given.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Completely agree, this post is headed Ian Watson, time for it to either end or go back to Huddersfields chances in the future, I'll start, I like Watson he seems to get the best out of his players like Wane but without resorting to the dark arts of the game, I would like to see Huddersfield become a major player again to make the league even more comptetitive
    Really like Watson, always speaks well after games, doesn’t come across as bitter and moaning.

The more competition in the league the better it will be, so long as the increase competition providing that it is brought about by teams getting better not the best teams getting worse.

I think Huddersfield are a write off for this season but next year should realistically show us if Watson is likely to do anything with them. The Sky lot are always saying about how they’ve not met expectations this year but asking any coach to perform an instant turn around with one pre season is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by A.O.88 View Post
    Really like Watson, always speaks well after games, doesn’t come across as bitter and moaning.

The more competition in the league the better it will be, so long as the increase competition providing that it is brought about by teams getting better not the best teams getting worse.

I think Huddersfield are a write off for this season but next year should realistically show us if Watson is likely to do anything with them. The Sky lot are always saying about how they’ve not met expectations this year but asking any coach to perform an instant turn around with one pre season is stupid.
    You can tell what Watson's vision is for Huddersfield when you hear him talk about Ssints. He wants to build a club like us. He admires our youth development & club ethos. He loves the way that our systems allow youngsters to get into our first team. Ken Davy must have promised that he will provide the cash & long term backing that will allow him to mimic us..
    I still think we should have bit the bullet & paid the compensation to Salford to get him. He gets our club.