Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: 19 man squad v Salford

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I missed this last night but I’ve just read that Welsby was captain last night. Perhaps in hindsight that was a bit of extra responsibility/pressure he perhaps didn’t need last night. Why not give it Graham and let Welsby just play his game? Seems an odd choice.
    Because Jack is the pick of the bunch of our young crop at the moment and would play 80 minutes

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

I like Welsby, he's got a good brain, solid in attack and good hands.. however like others I worry what his final position will be, I don't think he's got the explosive pace for half back, or the catching ability for full back.. maybe he could bulk up a bit and be a decent centre, or a fair bit and play loose.. I just don't know

As for last night, other than a few mistakes we'd have won, I don't know quite why the Dominator was so determined to get such a quick play the ball 20 yards out with 90 seconds to go.. as for nisbett, it was very poor, but it happens, I'm sure he was incredibly nervous and the line clearly couldn't come quick enough!

As for the others, personally I'd give eaves a few more run outs with the first team, he looks like he's got a bit more pace than Smith.. he's certainly worth a shot.

For the others, it was difficult to keep up, but foster looked decent enough in the forwards as others have said

Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    Because Jack is the pick of the bunch of our young crop at the moment and would play 80 minutes
    In the same way that Roby always plays 80 mins you mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post

The experts must know best but I don't see it. I see Lee Gaskell.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I missed this last night but I’ve just read that Welsby was captain last night. Perhaps in hindsight that was a bit of extra responsibility/pressure he perhaps didn’t need last night. Why not give it Graham and let Welsby just play his game? Seems an odd choice.
    It was perhaps linked to him being more familiar with the rest of the kids, and they with him?

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    It was perhaps linked to him being more familiar with the rest of the kids, and they with him?
    I'm more with YG, an odd choice. Whatever it was it didn't seem to help his contribution, I'd call it another classic KW call and I admit I'll never understand him.

Learning All The Songs

A lot having a go at some of the young lads, especially the wingers, it is an awful position to play for anyone even experienced. As a debutant, a prop or hooker gets a first tackle or drive in quickly, they get their hands on the ball early on, a winger`s first effort may be a towering, swirling kick to take with a wall of opposite colours coming his way or a first drive in his own 10-20m with a wall of opposite colours and nobody besides him as a dummy runner.
    Add to that a televised game, probably the first of the season for them, their family around the TV expectant, nerves and excitment all round. I know of the Tyson vs Bowe story were Tyson would not come out of his hotel, wanting to go home, crying like a baby, his team having to drag him to the arena, the same act in his dressing room, finally gaining his composure to fight only when a favorite "lucky" lace was brought for his boots. He was one of the most fearsome World champions of all time, if a negative thought can be that devastating to him what would it do to a young 18/19 year old.
    Give the lads a break the saying rings true here, a man who has never made a mistake is the man who has never done anything.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I think he is on a steeper learning curve than any other youngster at the club, that's been the case when he first came to Saints from Blackbrook and signed up as a 16 year old. He is in high regard at the club that's why he got that 4 year contract, very much a work in progress, some fans think he is approaching the finished article others think he's no good whatever position he plays. When in reality he's picking up valuable experience and game time, if he was made captain that would be further experience gain.

As already mentioned he has a good rugby brain to be a pivotal player, that pivot of 1, 6,7 or 13 will come further down the track, I certainly don't think he will be another Lee Gaskell because he has a tougher temperament in my opinion.

Jack Welsby self explains things here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUh6C6nWOnA
    Last edited by STIDDY; 27th October 2020 at 20:05.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I think he is on a steeper learning curve than any other youngster at the club, that's been the case when he first came to Saints from Blackbrook and signed up as a 16 year old. He is in high regard at the club that's why he got that 4 year contract, very much a work in progress, some fans think he is approaching the finished article others think he's no good whatever position he plays. When in reality he's picking up valuable experience and game time, if he was made captain that would be further experience gain.

As already mentioned he has a good rugby brain to be a pivotal player, that pivot of 1, 6,7 or 13 will come further down the track, I certainly don't think he will be another Lee Gaskell because he has a tougher temperament in my opinion.

Jack Welsby self explains things here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUh6C6nWOnA
    A good interview that he seems to have both feet on the ground. I must admit last night he was reminding me of Lineham, the way he runs with his head down.

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    My worry is that we offload Peyroux and bring in Thompson who turns out to be a dud Aussie signing like Perry. Probably me being a pessimist :/
    Don't think you watch NRL . Jo Thommo is a very good player . but deffo. think we keep Peyroux

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Don't think you watch NRL . Jo Thommo is a very good player . but deffo. think we keep Peyroux
    I watch 4-5 NRL games each week. Did i say anywhere that Thompson lacks ability?? No. He’s a good looking back rower. All im saying is that players from down under don’t always bring that form over here at the back end of their careers and it really is a lottery with what you end up signing. Their have been far more decorated players than Thompson come over from the NRL over the years and been crap in super league. Perry was a NSW prop who dusted Jamie Peacock in the WCC. Flannery was a Queensland regular. Hohaia scored 2 trys in a world cup final win. Not to mention the likes of Clyde, Mullins, Fletcher etc off the top of my head who came over just for the payday.

It would be stupid to get too excited about signing any 32 year old Aussie who’s had number of injuries in recent years. But hey, if Thompsons body is up to it and his attitude is right i see no reason why he won’t be good for us. He is a good player.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

I watch 4-5 NRL games each week. Did i say anywhere that Thompson lacks ability?? No. He’s a good looking back rower. All im saying is that players from down under don’t always bring that form over here at the back end of their careers and it really is a lottery with what you end up signing. Their have been far more decorated players than Thompson come over from the NRL over the years and been crap in super league. Perry was a NSW prop who dusted Jamie Peacock in the WCC. Flannery was a Queensland regular. Hohaia scored 2 trys in a world cup final win. Not to mention the likes of Clyde, Mullins, Fletcher etc off the top of my head who came over just for the payday.

It would be stupid to get too excited about signing any 32 year old Aussie who’s had number of injuries in recent years. But hey, if Thompsons body is up to it and his attitude is right i see no reason why he won’t be good for us. He is a good player.
    Fair comment fishy you do watch NRL & you are correct what you say .

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Fair comment fishy you do watch NRL & you are correct what you say .
    No worries pal. Im glass half empty by nature but fingers crossed he’s a good signing. He certainly looks tough from what ive seen.

No worries pal. Im glass half empty by nature but fingers crossed he’s a good signing. He certainly looks tough from what ive seen.
    What about the supposed new bloke? Know much of him?

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    What about the supposed new bloke? Know much of him?

Sorry pal only just seen this post. He’s a good tough player imo.

Sorry pal only just seen this post. He’s a good tough player imo.
    Seen your other comment on proper thread sounds very positive to give us a lift

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    A lot having a go at some of the young lads, especially the wingers, it is an awful position to play for anyone even experienced. As a debutant, a prop or hooker gets a first tackle or drive in quickly, they get their hands on the ball early on, a winger`s first effort may be a towering, swirling kick to take with a wall of opposite colours coming his way or a first drive in his own 10-20m with a wall of opposite colours and nobody besides him as a dummy runner.
    Add to that a televised game, probably the first of the season for them, their family around the TV expectant, nerves and excitment all round. I know of the Tyson vs Bowe story were Tyson would not come out of his hotel, wanting to go home, crying like a baby, his team having to drag him to the arena, the same act in his dressing room, finally gaining his composure to fight only when a favorite "lucky" lace was brought for his boots. He was one of the most fearsome World champions of all time, if a negative thought can be that devastating to him what would it do to a young 18/19 year old.
    Give the lads a break the saying rings true here, a man who has never made a mistake is the man who has never done anything.
    Well said.