Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 19 man squad v Leeds

The thing with the bombs is that we are turning the ball over 100% on our terms. Where the ball lands is where the man is being tackled (if the chase is consistently good). The tackle is also dominant as there’s no chance for the receiver to run even a yard or two. That immediately gives us the upper hand for start of the set. I know that’s not exciting but it’s better IMO than dribbling the ball through to a winger or full back who can then run 20 metres at pace at us and get them on the front foot, like Tommy does for us. That first tackle is massive to the flow of the set. Closer to the line we can mix it up a bit and Dodd will help massively with that I think

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WidnesExile View Post
    Completed at 73% with 9 handling errors we'd be punished against a better team.

Look at the Wigan score for what you should be doing to understrength teams when you're at near full strength.
    You're an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    The thing with the bombs is that we are turning the ball over 100% on our terms. Where the ball lands is where the man is being tackled (if the chase is consistently good). The tackle is also dominant as there’s no chance for the receiver to run even a yard or two. That immediately gives us the upper hand for start of the set. I know that’s not exciting but it’s better IMO than dribbling the ball through to a winger or full back who can then run 20 metres at pace at us and get them on the front foot, like Tommy does for us. That first tackle is massive to the flow of the set. Closer to the line we can mix it up a bit and Dodd will help massively with that I think
    It has been the tactic for a good few years now as this was something Holbrook brought in. It also eliminates the 7 tackle set restarts as we generally keep the ball out of the in goal area. This is also generally something we use when we are 20/30 yards away from the try line. Generally there is a bit more variation when we are within the 10.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Didn't see half time, but did they mention how many play the balls in our half Leeds had in the first half.

Couldn't have been more than 10

Got A Season Ticket

The bombs will certainly be going up to French!

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Punished by a better team?

We absolutely put them to the sword for 60 minutes without getting out of 2nd gear. If we play that game again against anyone in the league we win (albeit not by the same score line)
    Spot on. And all done without Wigan's "rub of the green" decisions by the officials. I mean Wigan player drops ball in the in goal, it hits a prone defender (that'll be a knock on then) on the head and then the Wigan player's elbow "grounds" the ball and it's a try!? Even the SKY muppets couldn't believe it! Then there were the forward passes leading to tries highlighted by the aforementioned. It must be really bad for SKY to see the bias! I've said it before, Wigan are an effective team, they don't need help from officials, it just denigrates the game.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    You're an idiot.
    That's an intelligent argument you moron.

I made a comment earlier in the thread and then backed it up with facts and a sensible conclusion.

How does that make me an idiot? Isn't this a discussion board not a playground for children's comments?

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    Yes. My wife who rarely watches rugby passed comment last night asking why do Saints keep kicking it straight over to the lad at the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m hoping that you explained that such kicks enabled us to pin Leeds deep within their own half, forcing them to play the ball before several of their team had retreated behind the ball, and gave Saints the chance to use a front-foot press defence leaving Leeds to kick from near the half way line or deeper on most occasions. Such kicks also prevented any chances of gifting a 7 tackle set starting on their 20m line. Conversely, Leeds kicks did little in presenting attacking opportunities and mainly comprised of grabber kicks to touch which gave all Saintss players ample time to get back onside.

Banned

That's an intelligent argument you moron.

I made a comment earlier in the thread and then backed it up with facts and a sensible conclusion.

How does that make me an idiot? Isn't this a discussion board not a playground for children's comments?
    Let's break out the spreadsheets!!!

You insinuated we were some way inferior to wigan because we didn't absolutely hammer Leeds even though it was 2 separate games. How does that work? We done a decent job, played some decent stuff and you're whinging about completion rates. Please explain to this child who'd have beaten us last night? You can work your question out yourself seeing as you're so intelligent.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I’m hoping that you explained that such kicks enabled us to pin Leeds deep within their own half, forcing them to play the ball before several of their team had retreated behind the ball, and gave Saints the chance to use a front-foot press defence leaving Leeds to kick from near the half way line or deeper on most occasions. Such kicks also prevented any chances of gifting a 7 tackle set starting on their 20m line. Conversely, Leeds kicks did little in presenting attacking opportunities and mainly comprised of grabber kicks to touch which gave all Saintss players ample time to get back onside.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Completed at 73% with 9 handling errors we'd be punished against a better team.

Look at the Wigan score for what you should be doing to understrength teams when you're at near full strength.
    I don't have the figures but I guess that half those errors were down to us trying the 'fancy stuff' once the game was in the bag.
    ...And given our 'points difference' figures in the league, we didn't need to break a leg piling on any more points.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I’m glad you mentioned closer to the line an Dodd. We don’t seem to score many from kicks and he might be able to help at close range.

If I’ve read it correctly, Lomax and Coote are out against Salford so I imagine Dodd will be a starting half. I think Robes is also out probably with Smith as starting hooker. The adventure begins!

In The South Stand

To an extent, I thought they were hoping to but Walker under under pressure but Leeds will be happy that he coped very well.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I don't have the figures but I guess that half those errors were down to us trying the 'fancy stuff' once the game was in the bag.
    ...And given our 'points difference' figures in the league, we didn't need to break a leg piling on any more points.
    Thats correct, for the Salford game with a weakened team we just need to do the basics and concentrate more on defence, with possible untried combinations (Dodd + Welsby) I would be quite happy with a 12-0 scoreline than a 28-26 one. But at the end of the day we just want the 2 points without that tough intensive game that becomes difficult to recover from. Salford don't have anything to play for now and might just throw the ball about for an expansive game.

But maybe there could be the odd variation? Just once or twice would be a start, I'll mention it when she's back from shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    Surprised me a bit when Carney and Robinson both said they had no idea why the crusher tackle has come into the game over the last few years. I would have thought it was obvious. The tactic taking the ball forward used to be to try and break the line, land face down and dominate the ruck by finding your feet as fast as possible. Now, a lot of the time players are turning in the tackle and backing in, therefore, presenting the situation that causes the crusher tackle. I understand the need to protect players, but sin-bins left right and centre doesn't seem to be stopping it. The player backing in surely has some responsibility for his own protection/health. In Alex's case the player clearly put his head under Alex's arm, not a lot Alex can do about that. As they go down, yes there is pressure on the neck. Hard to stop that as you have no control over yourself as you go down. As soon as they reach the ground Alex clearly makes an attempt to relieve the pressure, doing just about all he could in the situation.
    I’d say this is bang on , one of the reasons I have felt the RFL have never gone back to competitive scrums is a H & S issue , I’m very , very surprised broken necks were not more frequent . During the mid 80’s when the foul ‘ foot up’ Stopped being challenged hooker me would swinging round the props in an attempt to hook the ball , this led into non challenge of a feeding foul in order to prevent dangerous outcomes . Now players don’t even bind and the scrum has no relevance other than to restart the game . This is to protect players .

Your right here , players are putting themselves into these positions by the change in tact of rolling to offload .