Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team Selection v Leeds

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Default Team Selection v Leeds

With no further disciplinary action against Naiqama, and Graham to return from isolation, other than Percival, it looks like a fully fit squad to choose from. Do we think we’ll see the start of some rotation this week or go full strength following 8 days rest and rotate for the Salford game? Traditionally the winning CC final team have a poor next game so will we even face a full strength Leeds or will they write this one off and target the Cas/Wakefield games? Personally I think I’d be tempted to stay strong for this one and just swap in Graham for Lees.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Would go full strength against Leeds and Wigan as its playing played in our own stadium. The game in between rest half the team because Salford have a similar short period for the game and will probably rest a few themselves. If we win the next 3 games we are done and dusted for the top 2 place.

I would also rest Jammer for the Leeds game, let him captain the team for the Salford game.

In The South Stand

I’d like to see Dodd have a bigger role to add to our kicking options against a team that relies heavily on Gale’s kicking. However, I can see KW going for an experienced squad and trying to dominate in the forwards again.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I’d like to see Dodd have a bigger role to add to our kicking options against a team that relies heavily on Gale’s kicking. However, I can see KW going for an experienced squad and trying to dominate in the forwards again.
    I can see him leaving Dodd out this week for a couple of reasons. Firstly I think he’ll want Smith on the bench to get some minutes in him given he’ll possibly start or at least play the majority against Salford. And secondly as much as I’d like to see Dodd play at 7 I think Woolf would rather have the relative defensive security of Fages in the channel Hurrell will be running down all day. Not saying Dodd isn’t up to it but Woolf isn’t a risk taker. I actually think one of the reasons he’s been bringing Dodd on at hooker has been to give him plenty of tackles in the middle and get used to the physicality of super league.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

Dont forget leeds players wilp be coming off the back of awembley win. Teams never do well against opposition after wembley

Fages - dodd
    Roby - smith
    Walnsley - graham

And fages on bench. Rest of team keep as it is

Starting A Programme Collection

This is the game to rotate players . Leeds will be zapped . I’d be inclined to leave Al out and give jammer and Amor the lead props. Fage to hooker and Dodd in . Give Roby a complete week off.

I think we will struggle to lose this game whatever team we put out

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    This is the game to rotate players . Leeds will be zapped . I’d be inclined to leave Al out and give jammer and Amor the lead props. Fage to hooker and Dodd in . Give Roby a complete week off.

It's things like we will struggle to lose this game that you just can't have . Treat any game lightly and you can very easily come undone.

Banned

Lees is the interesting one. He really is off the pace at present. Do you persevere and hope it comes good or rest him for a couple of weeks and just have him looking to bang on a bit of mass.

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    It's things like we will struggle to lose this game that you just can't have . Treat any game lightly and you can very easily come undone.
    I agree, we need to repeat a similar style of play like last week, we can't do that with a change of players that is really unnecessary at the moment. I would like to see Leeds get hammered then they would be under enormous pressure to make the top 4.

With 3 games in 7 days and then the same again, now is the time to rotate. I agree with Woolf's approach so far of sticking with our strongest team, but over the next few weeks we can rotate. I would mix and match against Leeds and Salford (i.e. some first team and some back up) then go all out against Wigan.

The next 3 matches are Catalans, Hull and Warrington in one week. Our approach then would depend on how the table looks. For example, if top spot is secured, then we can rest most of the team in the final game against Wire.

We have the benefit of a deep squad. Peyroux hasn't played that much so let's give him more game time. We also have Ashworth, Paulo, Smith, Costello, Welsby, Batchelor, Eaves, Hazzard, Simm, Dodd and Wingfield all of whom have played first grade (apart from Wingfield), so we should have no hesitation in putting these players in over a hectic next few weeks.

Even if we lose a couple, other teams will have to rotate too, so I'm still confident we can get top. But the priority is to manage our squad well enough so we can hit the play offs whilst still been fresh.

Banned

I would be shocked to see Paulo or Ashworth again.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Would go full strength against Leeds and Wigan as its playing played in our own stadium. The game in between rest half the team because Salford have a similar short period for the game and will probably rest a few themselves. If we win the next 3 games we are done and dusted for the top 2 place.

I would also rest Jammer for the Leeds game, let him captain the team for the Salford game.
    Why rest Graham? He's just had a fortnight off.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Hasn't Paulo. Another year on his contract?

V Leeds

Coote
    Makinson
    Naiqama
    Welsby
    Grace

Lomax
    Fages

Walmsley
    Roby
    Graham
    Taia
    Bentley
    Knowles

Amor
    LMS
    Peyroux
    Smith

V Salford

Costello
    Makinson
    Simm
    Rizelli
    Grace

Welsby
    Dodd

Ashworth
    Smith
    Lees
    Batchelor
    Peyroux
    Paulo

Eaves
    Hazzard
    Wingfield
    Nisbet

I think Salford will have to rotate too, especially coming off a final, so that 17 is more than capable of winning

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    He has but now has his studying is completed he may look towards home.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post

It's trying to second-guess what other teams are going to do.

I think it's more likely than not that Leeds see their season's work as done now, and although not a huge party full of loads of people, will have celebrated the CCF. To back up what was a pretty intense game just 6 days later is tough - and I think if there's any player who were carrying knocks going into the final but were desperate to play in it, will stand down this week. Leeds have a squad thin on quality beyond the first XIII. The alternative (but much less likely IMO) scenario is that they figure they'll have to win almost all their remaining games to get top 4, so with one trophy in the bag and the end of the season in sight, just go for it.

With Salford, they will either be deflated after such a heartbreaking loss and, safe from relegation but not going to make the playoffs, may just have half a mind on the end of the season. Or they may want to get the frustration of losing the CCF after having one hand on the trophy out of their system and play aggressively.

I'd probably look to rest Roby and Walmsley a game each, and possibly Lomax. Plus, of course, look at players struggling through knocks. I'd rather rest and rotate now, then build towards a peak over the last 2 regular games. We've squandered so many trophies over the past 3 years from being in a position of the best team overall, it's unreal. We need the SL title this year.

He has but now has his studying is completed he may look towards home.
    12 months to run or not I think the club will be looking to offload him even if we had to partially pay his contract.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    12 months to run or not I think the club will be looking to offload him even if we had to partially pay his contract.
    It really was a rank bad signing. I was apprehensive about it at the time and its been worse than I thought. People ridicule Jack Owens but Id assume he was on much less than Paulo who has been anonymous. We do hit rocks or diamonds with NRL recruitment. Imagine this pack: Perry, Laffranchi, Flannery, Paulo. Not a tackle break in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post

Let's not kid ourselves, Leeds will come out all guns blazing. They know a win is vital if they are to make the play-offs. And let's not forget the easiest games to lose are when the mindset thinks like some fans are thinking.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    It really was a rank bad signing. I was apprehensive about it at the time and its been worse than I thought. People ridicule Jack Owens but Id assume he was on much less than Paulo who has been anonymous. We do hit rocks or diamonds with NRL recruitment. Imagine this pack: Perry, Laffranchi, Flannery, Paulo. Not a tackle break in them.
    I liked Chris Flannery.
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    It's trying to second-guess what other teams are going to do.

I think it's more likely than not that Leeds see their season's work as done now, and although not a huge party full of loads of people, will have celebrated the CCF. To back up what was a pretty intense game just 6 days later is tough - and I think if there's any player who were carrying knocks going into the final but were desperate to play in it, will stand down this week. Leeds have a squad thin on quality beyond the first XIII. The alternative (but much less likely IMO) scenario is that they figure they'll have to win almost all their remaining games to get top 4, so with one trophy in the bag and the end of the season in sight, just go for it.

With Salford, they will either be deflated after such a heartbreaking loss and, safe from relegation but not going to make the playoffs, may just have half a mind on the end of the season. Or they may want to get the frustration of losing the CCF after having one hand on the trophy out of their system and play aggressively.

I'd probably look to rest Roby and Walmsley a game each, and possibly Lomax. Plus, of course, look at players struggling through knocks. I'd rather rest and rotate now, then build towards a peak over the last 2 regular games. We've squandered so many trophies over the past 3 years from being in a position of the best team overall, it's unreal. We need the SL title this year.
    Its a "4 point" game and Leeds could go full strength in the hope of an upset, I don't think we should risk playing with a weaker team because Leeds will be desperate for a win to stay in contention for the play off. They have 6 games in 16 days after our game, beat them on Friday and they are "done" and that would give us one less team to worry about.

In my opinion the "Sean Day" selection on the thread above is pretty much bang on, I want us to win the next 3 games then we have the ability to rotate the rest of the games with less pressure.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 20th October 2020 at 09:11.

Why rest Graham? He's just had a fortnight off.
    We would need a captain and leader if we rested most of our squad for the Salford game. For me also I don't think Graham should be playing 2 or 3 times a week we need him fresh and full of energy for the play offs, he looked a bit jaded and ineffective in his last 2 games.

As I've said before we're a small knock or strain to Walmsley or Roby away from completely inhibiting the coaches one and only game plan. As soon as push comes to shove people forget about the bigger picture and simply choose to go '100%' even though our 'best' team available clearly isn't defined or agreed. Perhaps it'll be these same people that complain at the proper business end when we are incapable of doing ourselves justice through a lack of key players? How many times has a team won the comp after having a much worse seasons effort than we have at this stage, more than once. While the game will seem important come Friday it's not vital in the bigger picture of the season as a whole. We need to be concerned about ourselves not Leeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time Paulo will be seen in Saints colours ,is at Grange Park Golf Club.

Toronto was an option but now less likely.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    I liked Chris Flannery.
    I also liked Flannery, you could always replace him with Gary Grienke
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.