Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Challenge Cup Final

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Was he related to Brian Glover who played on the wing for Warrington? I think he was a St.Helens lad.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Was he related to Brian Glover who played on the wing for Warrington? I think he was a St.Helens lad.
    Pretty sure he (Brian) was, he worked at BICC at Prescot and if memory serves he signed for Saints towards the end of his career

Starting A Programme Collection

[QUOTE=Rogues Gallery;802110]Yes, Salford created enough chances to win the game.

I disagree , I thought Salford had moments when the where superb although reverted to one up rugby for most part which got them nowhere . Very easy to defend against . Had the been more expansive Leeds could have easily have been broken down . .

A shame really as Salford could have won that .

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Not bad, I bet he had a few stories to tell.
    He was quite a quiet lad Mick. He sadly died quite young.
    I went back to look at the teams that day. He played 9 hooking against Max Krillich and against a front row containing Les Boyd!

St Helens

Australia
    FB 1 Clive Griffiths
    RW 2 Barry Ledger
    CE 3 Chris Arkwright
    CE 4 David Fairclough
    LW 5 Denis Litherland
    SO 6 Stephen Peters
    SH 7 Neil Holding
    PR 8 Mel James
    HK 9 Michael Glover
    PR 10 Brian Gelling
    SR 11 Roy Mathias (c)
    SR 12 Paul Forber
    LF 13 Andy Platt
    Substitutions:
    IC 14 John Smith
    IC 15 Paul Brownbill
    Coach:
    England Billy Benyon
    FB 1 Canterbury colours.svg Greg Brentnall
    RW 2 Eastern Suburbs colours.svg Kerry Boustead
    CE 3 Western Suburbs colours.svg Mal Meninga
    CE 4 Cronulla colours.svg Steve Rogers
    LW 5 Parramatta colours.svg Eric Grothe
    FE 6 Parramatta colours.svg Brett Kenny
    HB 7 Parramatta colours.svg Peter Sterling
    PR 8 St. George colours.svg Craig Young
    HK 9 Manly Sea Eagles colours.svg Max Krilich (c)
    PR 10 Manly Sea Eagles colours.svg Les Boyd
    SR 11 Balmain colours.svg Wayne Pearce
    SR 12 Parramatta colours.svg John Muggleton
    LF 13 Parramatta colours.svg Ray Price
    Substitutions:
    IC 14 Valleys colours.svg Wally Lewis
    IC 15 Wynnum-Manly Colours.svg Rod Morris
    Coach:
    Australia Frank Stanton

Saints put out a weakened side and took a bit of a beating. They then proceeded to get nilled in the Lancashire Cup Final the following weekend against Warrington which is why they rested players so that didn't exactly go to plan.

Not sure on that Brian to be honest.

Learning All The Songs

The very next play of the ball by Leeds after that pauli pauli penalty was exactly the same.

Also Salford where penalised for good defence when the tackle was clearly not effected.

I don't think Salford would blame that because they bombed chances. But I found it extremely frustrating to watch

Your mate did well Div against that team.

I didn't get to the Lancs cup final a bit later , thank god, but I do remember going to KR to see us draw with Carlisle! They got some stick for that I rember at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    Your mate did well Div against that team.

I didn't get to the Lancs cup final a bit later , thank god, but I do remember going to KR to see us draw with Carlisle! They got some stick for that I rember at the time.
    Yes I went to the replay at Brunton Park. We sneaked passed them with Harry Pinner DG's!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    He was quite a quiet lad Mick. He sadly died quite young.
    I went back to look at the teams that day. He played 9 hooking against Max Krillich and against a front row containing Les Boyd!

St Helens

Australia
    FB 1 Clive Griffiths
    RW 2 Barry Ledger
    CE 3 Chris Arkwright
    CE 4 David Fairclough
    LW 5 Denis Litherland
    SO 6 Stephen Peters
    SH 7 Neil Holding
    PR 8 Mel James
    HK 9 Michael Glover
    PR 10 Brian Gelling
    SR 11 Roy Mathias (c)
    SR 12 Paul Forber
    LF 13 Andy Platt
    Substitutions:
    IC 14 John Smith
    IC 15 Paul Brownbill
    Coach:
    England Billy Benyon
    FB 1 Canterbury colours.svg Greg Brentnall
    RW 2 Eastern Suburbs colours.svg Kerry Boustead
    CE 3 Western Suburbs colours.svg Mal Meninga
    CE 4 Cronulla colours.svg Steve Rogers
    LW 5 Parramatta colours.svg Eric Grothe
    FE 6 Parramatta colours.svg Brett Kenny
    HB 7 Parramatta colours.svg Peter Sterling
    PR 8 St. George colours.svg Craig Young
    HK 9 Manly Sea Eagles colours.svg Max Krilich (c)
    PR 10 Manly Sea Eagles colours.svg Les Boyd
    SR 11 Balmain colours.svg Wayne Pearce
    SR 12 Parramatta colours.svg John Muggleton
    LF 13 Parramatta colours.svg Ray Price
    Substitutions:
    IC 14 Valleys colours.svg Wally Lewis
    IC 15 Wynnum-Manly Colours.svg Rod Morris
    Coach:
    Australia Frank Stanton

Saints put out a weakened side and took a bit of a beating. They then proceeded to get nilled in the Lancashire Cup Final the following weekend against Warrington which is why they rested players so that didn't exactly go to plan.
    Top work Div, did they actually play in their club colours or just the socks a la Barabarians? Still quite a few decent players in the Saints ranks.

Yes I went to the replay at Brunton Park. We sneaked passed them with Harry Pinner DG's!
    Great stuff, we could always rely on Harry to get a drop goal in for us. He could do them with his eyes shut.

In The South Stand

Paul Brownbill in that team,played against him many times when he was at Folly Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Top work Div, did they actually play in their club colours or just the socks a la Barabarians? Still quite a few decent players in the Saints ranks.
    No mate I think that's just the way I copied and pasted it, that was showing their club side. They of course played in the green and gold.

Banned

Yes I went as well. I would imagine we only had one or maybe two coaches that went up. I think it was a Tuesday night. Long way for 80 minutes eh? I am not sure if they had a young Dean Bell playing that night.

Starting A Programme Collection

Article from Saints heritage society says Mick went to live in Spain and died there in 2011, aged 51.
    Went on to say he always wanted a Viking style burial so his family made him a ship, painted white with a red vee on top and the no9.
    His ashes on the ship were released into the Med providing Mick with his Viking burial with a capital RED VEE.
    Mick Glover a true Saint in life & spirit

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Yes I went as well. I would imagine we only had one or maybe two coaches that went up. I think it was a Tuesday night. Long way for 80 minutes eh? I am not sure if they had a young Dean Bell playing that night.
    I'm pretty sure they did. One coach run by the OSC was pretty normal in those times wasn't it. I didn't miss many in those days and we did play a lot of games those days.

Quote Originally Posted by 58er View Post
    Article from Saints heritage society says Mick went to live in Spain and died there in 2011, aged 51.
    Went on to say he always wanted a Viking style burial so his family made him a ship, painted white with a red vee on top and the no9.
    His ashes on the ship were released into the Med providing Mick with his Viking burial with a capital RED VEE.
    Mick Glover a true Saint in life & spirit
    That's right I remember that.
    Mick was also head coach at Blackbrook for a spell whilst I was there.
    He previously shared the player / coaching role at UGB with another ex Saint Derek Seabrook who played with Mal Meninga during his spell at Saints.

Learning All The Songs

Lots of good 9`s playing amateur in those days, watched a St. Helens semi-final in the 80`s Finch v Hounds the two hookers Bacon & Honey played very well and had a right go at each other all game, a match reporters dream in the summary for the Star the following week.

Lots of good amateur hookers in those days in Cindy`s when White Lighting first became popular, as a mixer!

Banned

I'm pretty sure they did. One coach run by the OSC was pretty normal in those times wasn't it. I didn't miss many in those days and we did play a lot of games those days.
    We did yes. i remember another mid week game at Barrow. i knocked off early without pay to get the coach. I got a written warning the next day. not sure if that was a replay or a drawn game. they had a good team then, Tickle, Ball etc. i did an overnighter for Maidstone away though Kent Invicta. Happy days.

We did yes. i remember another mid week game at Barrow. i knocked off early without pay to get the coach. I got a written warning the next day. not sure if that was a replay or a drawn game. they had a good team then, Tickle, Ball etc. i did an overnighter for Maidstone away though Kent Invicta. Happy days.
    If it's the same game at Barrow I'm thinking of I went with a few mates in the back of a transit van getting thrown everywhere!!
    It was a Lancashire cup replay. We drew at KR on the Sunday. They dropped a goal late on which clearly sailed over but the referee said it missed. So off we went to Barrow mid week for the replay and if memory serves got beat 16-0!

Kent Invicta away at Maidstone I went on the coach. Mark Elia played for Kent that day. John Player trophy wasn't it?
    Last edited by Div; 19th October 2020 at 17:45.

Banned

Leeds are jammy b*stards full stop. They get the lion's share of decisions and luck in almost every final. Never known a team as persistently jammy.

I really enjoyed the cup final. Thought it was a brilliant game. Leeds just a bit too savvy in the end. And we know all about that over the years

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I really enjoyed the cup final. Thought it was a brilliant game. Leeds just a bit too savvy in the end. And we know all about that over the years
    Was an excellent game. Just a real shame that no fans could be there. I felt desperately sorry for the supporters of both clubs but especially Salford given how long it's been since they last appeared. I know how gutted I would have been if Saints had been there.

We may still ( hopefully) have that trauma to come in November.

Banned

If it's the same game at Barrow I'm thinking of I went with a few mates in the back of a transit van getting thrown everywhere!!
    It was a Lancashire cup replay. We drew at KR on the Sunday. They dropped a goal late on which clearly sailed over but the referee said it missed. So off we went to Barrow mid week for the relay and if memory serves got beat 16-0!

Kent Invicta away at Maidstone I went on the coach. Mark Elia played for Kent that day. John Player trophy wasn't it?
    Spot on!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Leeds are jammy b*stards full stop. They get the lion's share of decisions and luck in almost every final. Never known a team as persistently jammy.
    Please don't take this the wrong way! I think Salford went in on a hiding to nothing. It was framed as the Rob Burrow final "not by Rob" of course but it seemed any 50-50 calls favoured Leeds.

Banned

Please don't take this the wrong way! I think Salford went in on a hiding to nothing. It was framed as the Rob Burrow final "not by Rob" of course but it seemed any 50-50 calls favoured Leeds.
    I know what you're saying but I agree with Webbo, Leeds have a history of getting the rub of the green shall we say. That said, I hope it gave Rob some happiness.