Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Challenge Cup Final

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Default Challenge Cup Final

It might be me but I can't help feeling that Salford got the thin edge of the wedge yesterday. Leeds got penalties and dubious calls whenever they needed them which changed the momentum of the game and one and possibly two of their tries had clear forward passes.

They also seemed to get away with slowing the game more than Salford did. As I say it might be me but watching as a neutral (very good game by the way)I felt Salford were very hard done to. eg call on Pauli Pauli when the next Leeds ptb was exactly the same at a crucial time.
    Learned comment from The Don

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    It might be me but I can't help feeling that Salford got the thin edge of the wedge yesterday. Leeds got penalties and dubious calls whenever they needed them which changed the momentum of the game and one and possibly two of their tries had clear forward passes.

They also seemed to get away with slowing the game more than Salford did. As I say it might be me but watching as a neutral (very good game by the way)I felt Salford were very hard done to. eg call on Pauli Pauli when the next Leeds ptb was exactly the same at a crucial time.
    I thought it was reffed fairly bar the Pauli Pauli call which was a unduly harsh.

Banned

All credit to salford 2 major finals in 2 years.

And also has their been a better try scored at the new wembley than the williams try

Starting A Programme Collection

The Pauli play the ball decision was correct as explained by John Kear

I would go along with that.

The platform for Leeds was set by the slow PTB.

However Salford bombed their own chances of which there were more than enough.

For a simple game Refs can totally take it upon themselves to Ref a specific game differently.
    Six agains just not on the table yesterday.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    I would go along with that.

The platform for Leeds was set by the slow PTB.

However Salford bombed their own chances of which there were more than enough.

For a simple game Refs can totally take it upon themselves to Ref a specific game differently.
    Six agains just not on the table yesterday.
    Yes, Salford created enough chances to win the game. I've always said the same about Watkins, he's a very good strike centre but not really a wingers centre. It's something we haven't really produced over here since the likes of Gleeson and Shenton.

As for the Pauli ptb, the decision was correct but there was one that looked to me the same from Leeds shortly after that went unpunished. Also why didn't Salford drive to the posts and go for an equalising drop goal when they had the chance late on?

I enjoyed that interview with Shaun Wane pre-match.

The decision to go back to the first knock on in the lead up to a Salford try was really poor. Salford had gone well beyond the advantage line. Thought the Pauli Pauli PTB call was really harsh. Thought the spear tackle should have resulted in a sin bin as well. Other than that I don't think the ref had a lot to do really.

Was a really good game, I enjoyed it.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

The point about the Pauli Pauli decision is that you could blow for those sort of penalties all day long. With the game so delicately poised it just seemed over zealous at that point. I agree that in the resulting set Leeds committed the same offence and it went unpunished.

It was critical however Salford created a number of chances that they failed to execute and that's the real reason that they lost.
    Needed a cool head right at the death and they blew the last chance.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    The point about the Pauli Pauli decision is that you could blow for those sort of penalties all day long. With the game so delicately poised it just seemed over zealous at that point. I agree that in the resulting set Leeds committed the same offence and it went unpunished.

It was critical however Salford created a number of chances that they failed to execute and that's the real reason that they lost.
    I agree with that, I admit the game didn't have my full concentration but Salford had more than enough to win that. As much as I dislike the little doll head, Gale keeps Leeds clam.

Div, did you play for UGB in the early 90's? Seen a picture the other day and I'm sure it was you.

Banned

Agreed.
    Neil Cowie used to pull that stunt for years. Still happens now and it was an awful point in the game to blow it up. Not sure if it was penalised earlier in the match but Im sure youd find instances of it happening earlier in the match.

Other than that the ref was good.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Nothing wrong with the Pauli decision if he had been consistent on the PTB throughout the game.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

I suppose it’s the Watson way to throw it wide and try to win the game at the death, but if you’re sat in front of the sticks on 4th tackle in the last minute of a Cup Final trailing by a point you have to kick the DG. If I were a Salford fan I’d have been fuming at them playing the lower percentage option of trying to score a try there. Kick the DG, take it to golden point and see where it takes you.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I agree with that, I admit the game didn't have my full concentration but Salford had more than enough to win that. As much as I dislike the little doll head, Gale keeps Leeds clam.

Div, did you play for UGB in the early 90's? Seen a picture the other day and I'm sure it was you.
    Yes mate did 10 seasons there before returning to Blackbrook in 1996.

Unlucky for Salford and I thought they would hold out in the end after the two quick trys. As mentioned, Rhys Williams can be certain that his great try will go down as one of the best in a CC final history, just a pity it's was in an empty stadium.

The inconsistencies at the play the ball are so frustrating and the Pauli incident will be discussed for a while in the future. Moore is a young ref so I just hope he learns to be consistent in the future as well.

What I could not understand was towards the end Brown played to the left? I thought they would opt for the drop? It's 4 times now for him to lose out, he must feel wrecked.

I think Watson deserves credit for what he's done with what he's got being in two finals and losing out to us and Leeds.

Yes fatigue obviously comes into it, a levelling drop goal or a clearer plan for that set would clearly help but at the end of 80 mins it's all that more difficult without a controlling influence on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I seem to remember Salford made in roads to the Leeds 20 metres, and Krisnan Inu knocked on near the touchline around the 2nd tackle. They could have gone to centre field to set up a drop only for that knock on, significant opportunity missed.

Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    The Pauli play the ball decision was correct as explained by John Kear
    Yes correct by the letter of the law but it’s the consistency that’s the issue. 3 play the balls later and the Leeds player did exactly the same thing but wasn’t penalised.

Banned

Yes mate did 10 seasons there before returning to Blackbrook in 1996.
    Fair play, I wish I'd saved now. You could just about make out the 'tashe on the black and white photo

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

I thought Joey Lussick had another good game,

I know we have a few options with young players who some day be good enough to take over from Roby but if we want someone with more experience he would be a good shout.

In one of the previous matches on Sky it was mentioned that he is out of contract at the end of season

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    I thought Joey Lussick had another good game,

I know we have a few options with young players who some day be good enough to take over from Roby but if we want someone with more experience he would be a good shout.

In one of the previous matches on Sky it was mentioned that he is out of contract at the end of season
    I quite like Lussick but I was only thinking to myself watching the game mid week, I think Roby will almost certainly go around again if he stays fit. He's on top form again at the moment. Then we've obviously got Smith and Eaves waiting in the wings so I can't see us signing Lussick.

Got A Season Ticket

I thought that call on Pauli Pauli was nonsense, and in the next set Matt Prior did the exact same thing twice and wasn’t punished for it. It was a ridiculous decision that gifted the win to Leeds. I’m not one for reffing conspiracy theories, I find them pretty cringeworthy to be honest, but what was he thinking awarding that penalty at that time and in that part of the field?

In The South Stand

Overall the best team won,Salford could and should of gone for the drop goal near the end but ended up going out wide. The ref was pretty good overall,but there were 3 things he did that puzzled me.Also we seem to have gone from not using the video ref last year when it should of been used to using it all the time and need 47 views from 15 different angles when it's clear from 1 or 2 views.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Fair play, I wish I'd saved now. You could just about make out the 'tashe on the black and white photo
    Everyone had a tash then that's my exuse!

Actually had a good team for quite a few seasons.

Just as an aside ex saints player Mick Glover played for us, - he actually played against the touring Australians when Saints put out weakened side. So I played alongside a lad who had played against the Kangaroos! What a claim eh?!

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Just as an aside ex saints player Mick Glover played for us, - he actually played against the touring Australians when Saints put out weakened side. So I played alongside a lad who had played against the Kangaroos! What a claim eh?!
    Was he related to Brian Glover who played on the wing for Warrington? I think he was a St.Helens lad.

Banned

Not bad, I bet he had a few stories to tell.