Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grand final NOT at Old Trafford 2020

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Scrap the GF this year and Champions first past the post.
    I'm sure that would give Sky the excuse of keeping some of the money.

Of course we should have a GF. Even with no fans there it brings publicity for the game, and it's an end of the season for us to focus our minds on. We've had to miss a large part of the season without missing out on the GF as well

Banned

Are the clubs whose grounds are currently being used getting any money for the privilege?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    Are the clubs whose grounds are currently being used getting any money for the privilege?

I asked this question about 3-4 weeks ago but no one seemed to know.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post

I don't know but would imagine that operational costs would be covered.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    I don't know but would imagine that operational costs would be covered.
    Probably being paid in mushy peas and pizzas

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mr chips View Post
    How can u ignore the totally wicked. . Don’t get u.so many grounds have been used during lockdown and u think it’s right to ignore the totally wicked for a final. !!!!!!
    You don't get much do you?

Got A Season Ticket

Catalan Media are suggesting playing the GF in France

https://twitter.com/catalanmedia/sta...251664384?s=19

Many pros & cons but the alternative of no fans in an English ground & the boost it could give to the game in France it's worth considering.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Many pros & cons but the alternative of no fans in an English ground & the boost it could give to the game in France it's worth considering.
    Interesting idea, if Catalan are not involved, I suppose it just needs two chartered planes for each club and support staff. TV Pundits could remain in England and the sight of actual spectators, however few would make a change.

Sounds a very far fetched scenario this.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Depends if any money can be made from if I suppose but if the trophy, advertising boards, ribbons blah blah blah can't have Betfred on it then it won't happen.

A bit more than u. Have a nice day..

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    Depends if any money can be made from if I suppose but if the trophy, advertising boards, ribbons blah blah blah can't have Betfred on it then it won't happen.
    I believe that will be the problem as to why the GF won't happen in France.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Banned

A bit more than u. Have a nice day..
    Aye, clearly when you can't even quote me professor. Go and have a rant on Roger Philips' phone in with all the other cranks.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post

I don't like this idea!
    Fine if we're just talking about local French RL fans attending, but wouldn't it encourage UK fans to travel over?
    I'm thinking of folks travelling with no insurance, risk of spreading CV in France from here. Risk of bringing it back. Not going into quarantine, etc.
    In short, much that could happen to upset the UK authorities and media, giving the sport and fans a bad name.
    Think about the fuss over that bunch who travelled from Wales for the St Leger at Doncaster, and didn't even go to the races!

U must know how many times have u been on roger Phillips show . It’s 4 isn’t it. Think u are one nasty person. A real know it all, get a life .

Banned

U must know how many times have u been on roger Phillips show . It’s 4 isn’t it. Think u are one nasty person. A real know it all, get a life .
    I'm not being nasty at all, you keep making these strange posts and then don't like it when you get questioned. Half the things you post don't make sense (see your first sentence) and when you do make sense you just rant on about nothing in particular. And don't give me this "I'm old, I don't know how to use the internet blah blah blah". If you can come on here with an opinion you can take it back when people disagree.

Banned

Dont waste energy Dave. Radical idea. Team finishes top hosts the final. Really radical idea but publicity driven play it at Gigg Lane Bury.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Dont waste energy Dave. Radical idea. Team finishes top hosts the final. Really radical idea but publicity driven play it at Gigg Lane Bury.
    He winds me up with his nonsense. We could call it the Black Pudding Final although I'm not sure how PC that is these days.

In The South Stand

They should play the Grand Final at Huddersfield because it's the 125th anniversary of the founding of Rugby League and it would be fitting to mark the occasion.
    If marketed correctly there could be improved media interest and there is no point wasting money hiring a large stadium when it's going to be empty. The grassroots of the game needs to money, not a Premier League Club.

Playing the final in France is a non-starter given the advice not to travel in many parts of the north and on returning from France everyone would need to isolate for two weeks.
    People would be hammered for travelling to France and for the lack of social responsibility around it.

It's not as if Huddersfield hasn't been used for big matches before either including Challenge Cup Semifinals, Test matches, World Cup and Tri-Nations Games.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by parrsaint View Post
    They should play the Grand Final at Huddersfield because it's the 125th anniversary of the founding of Rugby League and it would be fitting to mark the occasion.
    I think this will end of being the most logical thing, and it’s as good an idea as any. That ground (whatever it’s called these days, John Smith Galpharm McAlpine etc) is big enough to look decent on TV and as you say, we’ve had test matches there and it is a better financial fix whilst also honouring the history.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

I don't think having it in France is a bad idea, but I can't see BetFred allowing it, not to mention all the other companies banned, and money talks..

With regards to travelling, responsible or not, people wouldn't be breaking any laws if they wish to travel, either here or in France.. you'd maybe have a couple of hundred who could a) afford to travel b) have sufficient leave for two weeks quarantine c) willing to stay at home for two weeks in December before Christmas.

I suspect we'll have a handful travelling in a few weeks who've managed to secure tickets on the quiet

France is also under a curfew from 9pm, which would put a load off regardless.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    I don't think having it in France is a bad idea, but I can't see BetFred allowing it, not to mention all the other companies banned, and money talks..

With regards to travelling, responsible or not, people wouldn't be breaking any laws if they wish to travel, either here or in France.. you'd maybe have a couple of hundred who could a) afford to travel b) have sufficient leave for two weeks quarantine c) willing to stay at home for two weeks in December before Christmas.

I suspect we'll have a handful travelling in a few weeks who've managed to secure tickets on the quiet

I don't think that those who went to Doncaster were breaking the law, but they did make national TV, and not in a good way.
    I can see the same thing happening in greater numbers at a French GF, especially if the heartlands are still in T3.

Edit. The important heartlands!

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post

If Saints and Wigan got to the final and it was in France, spectators wouldn’t be allowed to travel anyway due to the rules of non-essential travel from Tier 3 areas.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    If Saints and Wigan got to the final and it was in France, spectators wouldn’t be allowed to travel anyway due to the rules of non-essential travel from Tier 3 areas.
    It's guidance with regards to travel, not law.. holidays are still permitted

Guidance or law. In this unlikely scenario I can’t see them allowing tickets to be sold to anyone from a Tier 3 area.