Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Corona..

WARNING! PIE EATER!

If the tests were conducted on Tuesday, will the Leeds players have also been tested? I presume so, if not they'll have to be tested today and that could put their game in doubt.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

This season just needs finishing, call the league after this weekend and play a GF with top two.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    I suspect he means more that their day to day procedures shouldn't allow 12 of them to contract covid, rather than the test procedure being wrong.
    Exactly, not the testing procedures, they're training, lifestyle etc

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

With Huddersfield v Castleford off, this is all getting silly now. How we end all this is the issue.

The problem is that Catalans have got themselves into a situation where they will effectively blag a top four place by having dodged playing all of their closest rivals in the table. I suspect that's behind the movement to make it more than four in the play offs, because somebody will lose out on a top four spot, simply because one of their rivals conveniently managed to get games called off that they might have lost.

If the season carries on then what must happen is that games get rearranged so Catalans actually have to play and beat rivals to get in the play offs and not get a free ride. Similarly, Leeds and Warrington not having to go to the South of France could be their passport to the play offs by way of this percentage lark. I understand all the difficulties, but this underlines the flaws in the percentage weighting to decide the table. Given the gulf between the top five and the rest, it therefore makes complete sense to abort the league fixtures this weekend and go back to a top five system, and that decision needs making today.

It plays right into the Sky TV company's hands too as Saints v Wigan can then be a direct hit-out for the Leaders Shield and they don't need to bother with a load of meaningless games crammed in for a bottom seven teams who stood no chance of making the play-offs anyway.

The only issue, of course, comes if and when there are Covid cases in the play-offs, and therefore the simple solution has to be cruel, and that is if you can't fulfil the fixture, then you must forfeit the game.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    With Huddersfield v Castleford off, this is all getting silly now. How we end all this is the issue.

The problem is that Catalans have got themselves into a situation where they will effectively blag a top four place by having dodged playing all of their closest rivals in the table. I suspect that's behind the movement to make it more than four in the play offs, because somebody will lose out on a top four spot, simply because one of their rivals conveniently managed to get games called off that they might have lost.

If the season carries on then what must happen is that games get rearranged so Catalans actually have to play and beat rivals to get in the play offs and not get a free ride. Similarly, Leeds and Warrington not having to go to the South of France could be their passport to the play offs by way of this percentage lark. I understand all the difficulties, but this underlines the flaws in the percentage weighting to decide the table. Given the gulf between the top five and the rest, it therefore makes complete sense to abort the league fixtures this weekend and go back to a top five system, and that decision needs making today.

It plays right into the Sky TV company's hands too as Saints v Wigan can then be a direct hit-out for the Leaders Shield and they don't need to bother with a load of meaningless games crammed in for a bottom seven teams who stood no chance of making the play-offs anyway.

The only issue, of course, comes if and when there are Covid cases in the play-offs, and therefore the simple solution has to be cruel, and that is if you can't fulfil the fixture, then you must forfeit the game.
    STOP talking sense the RL won't like it and Leeds will vote against it.

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

It would be very interesting if we got half a dozen positive tests this week.

My worry in all of this is that Saints have done very well in all of this with regards to positive test, whereas breakouts have been rife at other clubs.. all the evidence suggests that the number of people catching Covid twice is incredibly rare, so the majority of clubs will have a fair portion of their squad unable to catch it..

I wonder if Saints are looking at a way for the squad to bunk down at a hotel for two weeks over the playoffs, a big ask on the players and families however

Starting A Programme Collection

Default Games

Last edited by Ferester123; 28th October 2020 at 11:35. Reason: Mistake

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

I'm not sure of the exact percentages but if Wigan beat us on Friday and they do end the league, would they win the LLS? Or would this be written off?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

It gets worse, Salford have now forfeited their game v Warrington and take a 24-0 defeat.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    It gets worse, Salford have now forfeited their game v Warrington and take a 24-0 defeat.
    That's wrong on so many levels. Wire haven't played in how many weeks, Salford are being flogged and continue to put a team out despite covid cases.

RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Huddersfield v Cas now cancelled, Cas have 12 players with positive covid tests

https://www.superleague.co.uk/articl...gers-cancelled
    I heard the three and a half hour bus journey from cas to saints last week with all the players together may have been a super spreader

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    I'm not sure of the exact percentages but if Wigan beat us on Friday and they do end the league, would they win the LLS? Or would this be written off?

Wigan would go above us

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    I suspect he means more that their day to day procedures shouldn't allow 12 of them to contract covid, rather than the test procedure being wrong.
    That was the way I took it.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Then surely reschedule the Wire v Huddersfield game due to be played on the 8th November?

It's an independent body who does the tests, same for all clubs I believe.
    It's not the tests, for this discussion anyway, it's the protocols at the host club and whether of not they're being complied with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salford are due to play Catalan next Monday. If this doesn’t go ahead then that would be the last straw for the current arrangements.

Enough is Enough. This season has to be brought to an end . NOW.
    Last edited by knowsleyroaders; 28th October 2020 at 14:26.

Then surely reschedule the Wire v Huddersfield game due to be played on the 8th November?
    Just been told that’s happening now.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Where has the 24-0 forfeit scoreline come from???

Has anyone else took a forfeit score line. Where as this come from.

I've never known it to happen in Super League but I know it's the standard forfeit at amateur level. We've had it a few times where clubs can't raise a team and you get given a 24-0 win. Was 18-0 up until a couple of years ago.

It must be standard protocol from top to bottom.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

I've never known it to happen in Super League but I know it's the standard forfeit at amateur level. We've had it a few times where clubs can't raise a team and you get given a 24-0 win. Was 18-0 up until a couple of years ago.

I've known it happen at academy level a few times, so as you say it must be "standard"

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Never heard of that one before at professional level, thought 1-0 would have been apt so you don't get an unfair points different advantage when the % pts are equal. Not that it really matters now, its all a right mess.

I know some love a good spreadsheet

Boringness aside

We could be third come Friday night now, or at least 2nd on points difference