Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Race for the Top 4 or 6 or 8 (merged)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    The wider squad needs to step up for sure trouble is I don't think there's too many options for the forwards save for who's been playing anyway. The backs should be ok but that's not really where the issue is. We could be a minor injury to BigAl away from a flat spin if KW is not careful and doesn't have a plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the more we flog 'Boxer' Walmsley into the ground, the greater the risk of injury.

Where's Ashworth?

It's also not ideal that the fringe/young players we will need to rely on have had hardly any time in the middle to get some experience and/or match sharpness. Many of them will be coming in cold. Should have been giving them some rotational time in the 17.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    And the more we flog 'Boxer' Walmsley into the ground, the greater the risk of injury.

Where's Ashworth?

It's also not ideal that the fringe/young players we will need to rely on have had hardly any time in the middle to get some experience and/or match sharpness. Many of them will be coming in cold. Should have been giving them some rotational time in the 17.
    Agreed, and good shout.

He clearly doesn't like Ashworth much but you're right about our fringe players and it could bite us on the arse. Yet again, Woolfe shows his naivety.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Leeds, Salford and Wigan in 7 days is a big week for us. I certainly see the attraction in resting the likes of Walmsley and Roby v Salford but they’re no easy beats. It’ll be interesting to see how the squad is managed over that run of games.

If we can win the next 4 remaining games this month (which on paper we “should”) then that will hopefully give us some breathing space at the top.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Agreed, and good shout.

He clearly doesn't like Ashworth much but you're right about our fringe players and it could bite us on the arse. Yet again, Woolfe shows his naivety.
    Been sick of saying it for weeks now, we're effectively into the funnel now to do much about his lack of foresight. If he sticks to his frontline players he'll break them, if he throws in too many untried youngsters we might get swamped if teams target our match for the kudos of beating us. He has a balance to strike as he still has a lot of support (on here) as we've been winning, if the results stutter and we lose a top2 position on top of the awful style of play it'll likely turn a lot of support off him. Perhaps that won't bother him anyway as he can't hear anything as things stand with empty terraces.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Leeds, Salford and Wigan in 7 days is a big week for us. I certainly see the attraction in resting the likes of Walmsley and Roby v Salford but they’re no easy beats. It’ll be interesting to see how the squad is managed over that run of games.

If we can win the next 4 remaining games this month (which on paper we “should”) then that will hopefully give us some breathing space at the top.
    We will probably rest at least 8 players on Sunday the 25th Oct against Salford, I can't see Coote, Lomax, Fages, Roby, Walmsley, Graham, Tai, Amor and Knowles playing in that game.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Where's Ashworth?

Some good statements and questions. Along with ashworth where is Paulo? He looks lazy when he plays but it's time he started earning his salary. These next few weeks gives both of them a chance to show if they are capable. The likes of Walmsley and Roby among others, should definitely be given a break.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    We will probably rest at least 8 players on Sunday the 25th Oct against Salford, I can't see Coote, Lomax, Fages, Roby, Walmsley, Graham, Tai, Amor and Knowles playing in that game.
    We play Salford on the Monday in between Leeds and Wigan on the two Fridays.

Trouble with resting so many is we’d probably lose to a full strength Salford side. I’d like us to rotate the squad but still be competitive in all 3 games.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Starting A Programme Collection

Trouble with resting so many is we’d probably lose to a full strength Salford side. I’d like us to rotate the squad but still be competitive in all 3 games.
    That's the natural inclination however someone said yesterday on here that Northampton RU Saints did this tactic recently and lost all their games. Worth thinking about weighing in against certain opposition perhaps?

I would go full strength in the two games against Leeds and Wigan with both of them being 4 pointers win those and we will probably be set up for a top 2 place.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I would go full strength in the two games against Leeds and Wigan with both of them being 4 pointers win those and we will probably be set up for a top 2 place.
    It's strange because I'm inclined to say go strong in the games against the lesser team and chalk off the wins. If we went light against Salford and got beat there's no guarantee we beat either Wigan or Leeds as a result. 5 wins from the last 7 gives us 30 points. It doesn't matter who we beat to get there really, and even if we lost to Wigan they'd still need to win 4 of their other 5 to match that.

I'm inclined to just pick the best team every game. They had a very long break in the season which is already truncated, a shorter play off series and we are out of the cup. We cant exactly be looking at burnout by comparison to the usual number of fixtures. I'm not suggesting risk anyone with a genuine knock but otherwise we should be able to get through 7/8 remaining games.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    I'm inclined to just pick the best team every game. They had a very long break in the season which is already truncated, a shorter play off series and we are out of the cup. We cant exactly be looking at burnout by comparison to the usual number of fixtures. I'm not suggesting risk anyone with a genuine knock but otherwise we should be able to get through 7/8 remaining games.
    It's a good point to be fair.

In The South Stand

Ah the yearly rotate v don't debate. Either way the coach gets both barrels after the first loss. As Div has stated play the best team you can.

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Ah the yearly rotate v don't debate. Either way the coach gets both barrels after the first loss. As Div has stated play the best team you can.
    In that case I would play the 2006 team

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    It's strange because I'm inclined to say go strong in the games against the lesser team and chalk off the wins. If we went light against Salford and got beat there's no guarantee we beat either Wigan or Leeds as a result. 5 wins from the last 7 gives us 30 points. It doesn't matter who we beat to get there really, and even if we lost to Wigan they'd still need to win 4 of their other 5 to match that.
    If we beat either Wigan or Leeds or both they would need 2 games to catch us up. Wins against Wigan and Leeds gets us as top 2 and possibly LLS, just beating Salford might only guarantee a top 4 slot.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Assess players on a match by match basis maybe? Woolf could make all the plans in the world but all it would take is one injury or suspension to send the whole thing up in smoke.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    And it would still clean up.

Resting players doesn't always work otherwise we would all be getting ready for Wigan v Warrington final this weekend.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Assess players on a match by match basis maybe? Woolf could make all the plans in the world but all it would take is one injury or suspension to send the whole thing up in smoke.
    My major concern atm is losing a handful of players to Covid for a 14 day period.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

One still doing the business...

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

One still doing the business...

Week in week out at the same consistent level.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Week in week out at the same consistent level.
    Not any more, he’s not the player he used to be, he’s only a 9.8 out of 10 nowadays.....
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

Now that Catalans v Warrington is off on Monday, that only leaves Cats with 3 scheduled games left - us at home on Nov 5th then HKR and Huddersfield away - and having only played 12 they need to complete all of these to be eligible for the top 4. Not aware of any of the missing games being rearranged as their opponents will have enough games going on and there isn't any space left in the calendar.

Obviously we don't know how many they will actually need to win but any more covid outbreaks for them or their opponents and they could well not make the 15 game requirement.

When they play us they won't have played since Oct 9th, best part of 4 weeks.
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunFunk View Post
    Now that Catalans v Warrington is off on Monday, that only leaves Cats with 3 scheduled games left - us at home on Nov 5th then HKR and Huddersfield away - and having only played 12 they need to complete all of these to be eligible for the top 4. Not aware of any of the missing games being rearranged as their opponents will have enough games going on and there isn't any space left in the calendar.

Obviously we don't know how many they will actually need to win but any more covid outbreaks for them or their opponents and they could well not make the 15 game requirement.

When they play us they won't have played since Oct 9th, best part of 4 weeks.
    They would have to win all 3 games to achieve a 73% which could put them in 3rd or 4th place. But if they have a player who was clear but has picked up the virus 24 hours before they play us that could scupper our play off chances if our team becomes infected.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

I know they’ve said Catalan have to play 15 games to be eligible for the play offs but have they confirmed what happens if they don’t play 15? Do the games they’ve played get expunged like with Toronto? As us, Wire and Wigan have all played them once and beaten them it doesn’t affect the race for the league leaders shield much but given both Hull and Leeds lost against Catalan it could affect the top 4.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.